Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    I keep seeing over the internet this question of why the eagles hired sirianni when no one else requested an interview

Iím not saying heíll have as much success as these 2

But both Andy Reid and Doug Pederson werent interviewed by anyone else either. No one requested interviews with either guy

I donít believe how many teams request an interview with a guy speaks to his merit as a coach. I mean everyone wanted gase in 2016 including the eagles

Who knows whatíll happen with sirianni, I sure donít. But he seems like a guy to root for with a good amount of intelligence and work ethic. All I read about the guy is that heís the hardest worker in the room and is meticulously detail oriented

Heís great with players. Has a really good offensive mind. Has worked under Brian daboll and Frank reich. The hottest OC in the nfl whoís team is in the AFC title game and the OC who won a Super Bowl in 2017

Thereís a lot to like.

Not sure why this has turned into a bash Frank Reich thread, but I would say he has slightly overachieved.

2018: Getting Andrew Luck back was huge. Of course any top 10 QB will make a coach look better than he is, but I do think Reich played a major part in Luck's success that year. Winning 11 games and making it to the playoffs was a great accomplishment considering the state of the roster that season. They won 4 games the year before and Ballard was still purging that roster of Grigson's mistakes.

2019: Andrew Luck retires and this puts the Colts in a terrible spot entering the season. Enter one of the worst QB's I had ever seen: Jacoby Brissett. And I watched a Curtis Painter. Considering Reich had to win games with Brissett and Hoyer, I think going 7-9 that season was a HUGE success. It's an even greater accomplishment especially when you consider that at least 2-3 losses were directly attributed to Vinatieri.

2020: Rivers was coming off a pretty awful season so I think it reflects well on Reich that he was able to revitalize and get Rivers to play efficient turnover-free football. Should the Colts have gone farther in the playoffs? They ran into one of the hottest teams in football and almost won. Reich's playcalling was trash, but I think as a whole he got the team where he should have.

Quote Originally Posted by sacgiants1213 View Post
    Not sure why this has turned into a bash Frank Reich thread, but I would say he has slightly overachieved.

2018: Getting Andrew Luck back was huge. Of course any top 10 QB will make a coach look better than he is, but I do think Reich played a major part in Luck's success that year. Winning 11 games and making it to the playoffs was a great accomplishment considering the state of the roster that season. They won 4 games the year before and Ballard was still purging that roster of Grigson's mistakes.

2019: Andrew Luck retires and this puts the Colts in a terrible spot entering the season. Enter one of the worst QB's I had ever seen: Jacoby Brissett. And I watched a Curtis Painter. Considering Reich had to win games with Brissett and Hoyer, I think going 7-9 that season was a HUGE success. It's an even greater accomplishment especially when you consider that at least 2-3 losses were directly attributed to Vinatieri.

2020: Rivers was coming off a pretty awful season so I think it reflects well on Reich that he was able to revitalize and get Rivers to play efficient turnover-free football. Should the Colts have gone farther in the playoffs? They ran into one of the hottest teams in football and almost won. Reich's playcalling was trash, but I think as a whole he got the team where he should have.
    It's not bashing Reich... I just don't think the Colts have overachieved. They have a good roster and the results have matched expectations for the most part imo.

Quote Originally Posted by BDawk4Prez View Post
    The more I read about Nick the more I love the hire.

Time will tell.
    It's funny because that is a phenomenon that happens with nearly every fan when their favorite team hires a new coach.

Quote Originally Posted by mgjohnson7851 View Post
    It's funny because that is a phenomenon that happens with nearly every fan when their favorite team hires a new coach.
    Oh, no doubt.

I won't pretend I knew much about him prior, but after getting on board when he was first mentioned, it seems like it's a step in the right direction.

I mean lol

Obviously

Outside of josh mcdaniels, Todd Bowles and Dennis Allen Iím sure you could find a lot of good things on a lot of the candidates

Theyíve never HCed before so itís really all positive. Rarely is a non retread HC thatís hired not backed by positive commentary from the media on some level

INDY media loved him, digging into his past shows a lot of good. I think itís a very promising hire. Doesnít mean heíll pan out. For me 2 days before he was hired he jumped to #1 on my list. I liked what I was reading. Not going to pretend I knew who he was before. But I got on board with him before he was hired because he seems to have potential

Thatís all you want out of any draft pick or HC hire

Everyoneís on and on about daboll, Arthur smith, EB, saleh

How often has the hot head coach been the right one? Not as often as people think

Quote Originally Posted by last stand View Post
    I mean lol

Obviously

Outside of josh mcdaniels, Todd Bowles and Dennis Allen Iím sure you could find a lot of good things on a lot of the candidates

Theyíve never HCed before so itís really all positive. Rarely is a non retread HC thatís hired not backed by positive commentary from the media on some level

INDY media loved him, digging into his past shows a lot of good. I think itís a very promising hire. Doesnít mean heíll pan out. For me 2 days before he was hired he jumped to #1 on my list. I liked what I was reading. Not going to pretend I knew who he was before. But I got on board with him before he was hired because he seems to have potential

Thatís all you want out of any draft pick or HC hire

Everyoneís on and on about daboll, Arthur smith, EB, saleh

How often has the hot head coach been the right one? Not as often as people think
    Idk enough about the guy to make a judgement. I just know when my team hired a guy that wasn't ready for the job, it was a disaster. And Sirianni has less experience than VJ... So that makes me pause

Idk enough about the guy to make a judgement. I just know when my team hired a guy that wasn't ready for the job, it was a disaster. And Sirianni has less experience than VJ... So that makes me pause
    Ya of course

I believe it was Colin cowherd (ya I know) who said itís an average of 2 HCs that actually succeed every hiring cycle

And weíre talking usually 6-8 job openings. Thatís letís just say a 28% success rate give or take a few percentage points

So itís a gamble overall

I think the past 5 years has shown that credentials arenít even the way to hang your hat. Doug, mcvay, lafluer

All had very little experience before their first HC job offerings

Itís a gamble 100% thatís why I think finding the positive in non retreads is the best route. I mean retreads you roughly know something. And even then bill B and Pete Carroll were both retreads

I wouldnít say sirianni is inexperienced though. Heís been at least a position coach between college and nfl since 2004. Heís also done a lot of different jobs, he has served as a defensive backs coach, WR coach, QB coach, and offensive coordinator.

This time next year the Eagles may be looking for a new HC or that Sirianni is one of the best hire

Quote Originally Posted by BDawk4Prez View Post
    Broken Luck
    Brissuck
    90 year old Rivers
    Broken Luck lmao

He was coming off an injury but that doesn't mean he was bad. He was great actually.

Quote Originally Posted by last stand View Post
    I believe it was Colin cowherd (ya I know) who said itís an average of 2 HCs that actually succeed every hiring cycle
    You don't need to quote Cowherd to state a fact. Very few head coaches keep their job for more than 4 years. None of the 2015 and 2016 hires remain.

Quote Originally Posted by mgj
    Joseph had literally one season as a DC; prior to that he was just a DB coach. Sirianni has 3 years of OC experience, and has been every type of position coach except RB (QB/WR/Offensive quality).

Joseph made absolutely no sense when he was hired, but I don't think Sirianni is the same level of "wtf" hire. I'd argue the Colts have over-achieved on offense the last 3 years. Luck had a career year in 2018, they were 7-9 (and lost a bunch of close games) despite losing Luck during the pre-season in 2019, and then they were good with Rivers in 2020. I mean, 3 different QBs who played above their ability and 3 years of decent offense makes sense as a hire for a team with a QB who has struggled.

I think it's less that he's unqualified and more that he wasn't on a lot of people's radar. I don't know if that's due to his age or just the fact that the Colts are boring as **** and people don't pay attention to them when they don't have Peyton or Luck behind center.

BuT mUh 60% cOmPlEtion

Quote Originally Posted by manbearchef View Post
    Joseph had literally one season as a DC; prior to that he was just a DB coach. Sirianni has 3 years of OC experience, and has been every type of position coach except RB (QB/WR/Offensive quality).

Joseph made absolutely no sense when he was hired, but I don't think Sirianni is the same level of "wtf" hire. I'd argue the Colts have over-achieved on offense the last 3 years. Luck had a career year in 2018, they were 7-9 (and lost a bunch of close games) despite losing Luck during the pre-season in 2019, and then they were good with Rivers in 2020. I mean, 3 different QBs who played above their ability and 3 years of decent offense makes sense as a hire for a team with a QB who has struggled.

I think it's less that he's unqualified and more that he wasn't on a lot of people's radar. I don't know if that's due to his age or just the fact that the Colts are boring as **** and people don't pay attention to them when they don't have Peyton or Luck behind center.
    DC under an offensive HC is a higher position than OC under an offensive HC though. Plus Joseph had the longer coaching career.

Like I said, I think the Colts offense has exactly "achieved" relative to their QB. Not over/under. Rivers wasn't that good in 2019 but he had a career year in 2018. Brissett isn't anything special but they gave him a contract extension with $20 million guaranteed, so they can't think he's a total bum. Luck was great in 2018.

Even if we assume the Colts offense has overachieved and Sirianni is a great game-planner, that doesn't make someone a good HC.

To be fair the 2018 Colts started 1-5 and still made the playoffs. Luck the first few games when he came back that year had no arm strength. He built it up as the year went on but I remember seeing some crazy stat where he didn't throw a ball past 40 yards those first four games or so that year. As Luck built up his arm, he was much better and the team was much better. They ended the season winning 9 of their last 10 games.

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast