Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    Well itís Rogers money so I dgaf at the end of the day. But I would not want that 1 mil hanging around on the budget. You know it would be brought up whenever we are talking about spending. And thinking like that is why Bobby Bonilla is still a household name.
    Well thats the thing, Rogers funds the team. They fund the team with money they generate. The more money they have, the more they can reinvrst in the team. Of course it requires coordination between Rogers and the Blue Jays, so it may be tricky.

The bobby bonilla thing is funny at the face value because hes supposed to be paid out $30 mil by 2035. But if he took the $6 mil and invested in the s&p500, hed probably have well over 40 million by 2035. Would you rather have $30 million or $40 million?

Quote Originally Posted by Raps18-19 Champ View Post
    Well thats the thing, Rogers funds the team. They fund the team with money they generate. The more money they have, the more they can reinvrst in the team. Of course it requires coordination between Rogers and the Blue Jays, so it may be tricky.

The bobby bonilla thing is funny at the face value because hes supposed to be paid out $30 mil by 2035. But if he took the $6 mil and invested in the s&p500, hed probably have well over 40 million by 2035. Would you rather have $30 million or $40 million?
    How much would he have if he spent 1mil every year?

Quote Originally Posted by R. Johnson#3 View Post
    When it comes to trading Pearson I only want to do it if it's for a young, proven pitcher. Luis Castillo fits the bill perfectly. I'm not trying to get rid of him. I don't think he's capable of being a starter but I think he's capable of being a shut down set up man and/or closer. If we're trading for a young arm I'd much rather trade Pearson over Biggio or Gurriel. The way I see it is that Pearson is currently taking up a rotation spot. If we can acquire a young arm to slot in behind Ryu (legit #2) then yeah, I'm going to pull the trigger on that kind of deal. If it's for anything else then no, I wouldn't include Pearson in a deal.

We do need pitchers. Starting in 2022 I think we'll see a steady wave of arms come up from within though. If 1 of SWR, Kloff or Manoah pans out then we're in good shape.
    Rjohnsonís Dead to Me list:
    Jansen
    Pearson
    Beeston: "we should be able to support a $140-$150 million payroll and that's the direction that we're headed."

Quote Originally Posted by wamco View Post
    Rjohnsonís Dead to Me list:
    Jansen
    Pearson
    Lol correct on Jansen and correct on Pearson but only as a starter. We could have Nate Papelbon on our hands.
    Facts can be hypothetical.

Blue Jays lineup wise as far as hitting look formidable enough to compete in the AL East but against the Yankees it is goin to be the true test because look at how stacked their roster always is

But the Jays should be makin more upgrades pitching wise too.

How much would he have if he spent 1mil every year?
    Pretty irrelevant to the discussion. That doesnt have an effrct on what the blue jays should do.

This thread is exactly why this offseason was springer or bust. Heís transformed this lineup the same way adding Dosh did back in 2015.

This thread is exactly why this offseason was springer or bust. Heís transformed this lineup the same way adding Dosh did back in 2015.
    So I'll call you on that. Bust implies it would be a lost off-season if we didn't get Springer. It is clearly gross hyperbole.

What if we got Kluber, Taillon and LeMahieu like the Yanks? Lost off-season?
    What if we got Lindor, Carrasco, May, McCann like the Mets? Lost off-season?
    What if we got Snell, Darvish, Musgrove, Kim, Profar like the Padres? Lost off-season?

There were numerous ways to impact this team in incredible ways for both short and long-term without a Springer signing.

I'm thrilled we got him. Make no mistake. But the idea of "Springer or bust" is complete BS.

This team could have used another season to prove themselves anyway IMO so it wouldnt have been a bust if we didnt get him. Even right now, theres a lot of question marks on the team so if we didnt get him, that would have given us another year to work things out.

Quote Originally Posted by pebloemer View Post
    So I'll call you on that. Bust implies it would be a lost off-season if we didn't get Springer. It is clearly gross hyperbole.

What if we got Kluber, Taillon and LeMahieu like the Yanks? Lost off-season?
    What if we got Lindor, Carrasco, May, McCann like the Mets? Lost off-season?
    What if we got Snell, Darvish, Musgrove, Kim, Profar like the Padres? Lost off-season?

There were numerous ways to impact this team in incredible ways for both short and long-term without a Springer signing.

I'm thrilled we got him. Make no mistake. But the idea of "Springer or bust" is complete BS.
    Honestly, yeah I do believe that. I think springer alone transforms this lineup and defence in a way that none of those other players could. Couple that with my insistence that Atkins does not spend the prospect capitol until we are sure this team is ready to take the next step....
    add bauer and this would be my perfect offseason.

If we are in contention for the pennant and have a good run differential by the deadline then we will see if Atkins knows how to take a team over the top.

Honestly, yeah I do believe that. I think springer alone transforms this lineup and defence in a way that none of those other players could. Couple that with my insistence that Atkins does not spend the prospect capitol until we are sure this team is ready to take the next step....
    add bauer and this would be my perfect offseason.

If we are in contention for the pennant and have a good run differential by the deadline then we will see if Atkins knows how to take a team over the top.
    We'll disagree.

But I'm curious how that prospect capital is used. Rumours of Bryant/Hendricks are still out there, but with how they approached the trade deadline last year, I do wonder if they philosophically prefer to use prospects to upgrade the team after the seasons starts so they see how it performs for a chunk of games first.

Quote Originally Posted by pebloemer View Post
    We'll disagree.

But I'm curious how that prospect capital is used. Rumours of Bryant/Hendricks are still out there, but with how they approached the trade deadline last year, I do wonder if they philosophically prefer to use prospects to upgrade the team after the seasons starts so they see how it performs for a chunk of games first.
    If we got Kyle Hendricks Iíd pee myself.

Ugh, itís Scott Mitchell who reported the rumour. Safe to say itís 100% made up.

This team could have used another season to prove themselves anyway IMO so it wouldnt have been a bust if we didnt get him. Even right now, theres a lot of question marks on the team so if we didnt get him, that would have given us another year to work things out.
    Well it is baseball. Someone will likely disappoint and someone will surprise. Happens all the time. Just as long as more continue to improve weíre well on our way.

Agreed. A lot of fans fail to realize most of our young core hasn't even played 162 games, the equivalent of one season let alone 300 games. They still need a lot to grow to be consistently productive.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast