Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by wamco View Post
    I wouldnít either. Itís his preference I read
    Hopefully he doesnít get his way. Itís not often you get 2 guys with blazing speed who work so well as top of the order bats.

Quote Originally Posted by pebloemer View Post
    If Brantley Rumors are true:

Springer (CF)
    Biggio (2b)
    Bichette (SS)
    Guerrero (3b)
    Brantley (DH)
    Hernandez (RF)
    Gurriel Jr (LF)
    Tellez (1b)
    Kirk (C)

Bench: Espinal, Jansen, Grichuk

Lineup is insane, infield defender is scary though.
    With the amount of money Grichuk makes, he ain't on the bench

Quote Originally Posted by TheFanGuy View Post
    With the amount of money Grichuk makes, he ain't on the bench
    I hope that isnít Montoyoís criteria.

Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    I hope that isnít Montoyoís criteria.
    I agree. No Brantley changes my post, but I also think it is helpful to remember that no player "plays everyday" anymore. Everyone gets rest days. "Bench players" can still play 80-120 games.

According to an industry source, a $10-million signing bonus along with a $22 million salary this year kick off the agreement, followed by a $28 million outlay in 2022. Springerís salary scales back to $22.5 million in 2023 through the contractís conclusion in 2026, a move that creates some flexibility for the Blue Jays as their young core begins to earn more through salary arbitration.

Performance bonuses for Springer include $150,000 if he is named MVP, $125,000 if he finishes second, $100,000 if he is third and $75,000 if he is fourth. Each selection as an all-star, Gold Glove winner, Silver Slugger and World Series MVP is worth an extra $50,000, and he has an eight-team no-trade clause.
    https://www.sportsnet.ca/mlb/article...150m-contract/

Beauty. Not as much as I had hoped for. But I like that.

Blue Jays got a massive pick up...can honestly say y'all have me shook right bout now cuz bein a Red Sox fan I can honestly say your team has me worried especially signing Springer in this off season and signing him to a long term deal at 6 years

It shows me that y'all are serious so I can give y'all your respect at least on this

Still feels surreal. This team is on the cusp of being really good for a really long time.
    Facts can be hypothetical.

Quote Originally Posted by R. Johnson#3 View Post
    Still feels surreal. This team is on the cusp of being really good for a really long time.
    Still has loads of pitching and defensive needs, but those seem like issues that can be solved.

I remember the lefty/righty bats being an issue in 2015/2016 too and would love to see some balance. The overall core though is solidly in place for 5+ years. It's exciting.

I would add, since its come up in our discussion around Pearson, that I believe they need to also sustain the window for a longer period of time. Like, I don't believe you trade Pearson for "now" pieces, just because he isn't a final product. I think we're are set up for waves of talent and should sustain it. It isn't being the best we can for 3 years IMO. It is staying a contending team for 10.
    Last edited by pebloemer; 01-23-2021 at 09:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pebloemer View Post
    Still has loads of pitching and defensive needs, but those seem like issues that can be solved.

I remember the lefty/righty bats being an issue in 2015/2016 too and would love to see some balance. The overall core though is solidly in place for 5+ years. It's exciting.

I would add, since its come up in our discussion around Pearson, that I believe they need to also sustain the window for a longer period of time. Like, I don't believe you trade Pearson for "now" pieces, just because he isn't a final product. I think we're are set up for waves of talent and should sustain it. It isn't being the best we can for 3 years IMO. It is staying a contending team for 10.
    When it comes to trading Pearson I only want to do it if it's for a young, proven pitcher. Luis Castillo fits the bill perfectly. I'm not trying to get rid of him. I don't think he's capable of being a starter but I think he's capable of being a shut down set up man and/or closer. If we're trading for a young arm I'd much rather trade Pearson over Biggio or Gurriel. The way I see it is that Pearson is currently taking up a rotation spot. If we can acquire a young arm to slot in behind Ryu (legit #2) then yeah, I'm going to pull the trigger on that kind of deal. If it's for anything else then no, I wouldn't include Pearson in a deal.

We do need pitchers. Starting in 2022 I think we'll see a steady wave of arms come up from within though. If 1 of SWR, Kloff or Manoah pans out then we're in good shape.
    Facts can be hypothetical.

Quote Originally Posted by R. Johnson#3 View Post
    When it comes to trading Pearson I only want to do it if it's for a young, proven pitcher. Luis Castillo fits the bill perfectly. I'm not trying to get rid of him. I don't think he's capable of being a starter but I think he's capable of being a shut down set up man and/or closer. If we're trading for a young arm I'd much rather trade Pearson over Biggio or Gurriel. The way I see it is that Pearson is currently taking up a rotation spot. If we can acquire a young arm to slot in behind Ryu (legit #2) then yeah, I'm going to pull the trigger on that kind of deal. If it's for anything else then no, I wouldn't include Pearson in a deal.

We do need pitchers. Starting in 2022 I think we'll see a steady wave of arms come up from within though. If 1 of SWR, Kloff or Manoah pans out then we're in good shape.
    I too am pumped for the arms to start coming up over the coming years.
    Iím concerned, however, that some people around here will have a dose of reality - that only about 1/100 pitchers that make it to the MLB end up being really good. Most flame out or become BP pieces. Itís often the ones you donít expect that find another gear. Injuries...
    theoretically pitchers should be easy to project, but I have learned they are usually wild cards.

Too bad we had to give a signing bonus. Rather have paid a $1 mil a year service fee for 15 years after he retires than $10 years upfront.

Quote Originally Posted by Raps18-19 Champ View Post
    Too bad we had to give a signing bonus. Rather have paid a $1 mil a year service fee for 15 years after he retires than $10 years upfront.
    This is a joke right?

This is a joke right?
    What do you mean? You could make the economics work that you could turn that $10 mil into more than the $15 mil you would pay Springer under that scenario. I mean its not a big deal in the grand scheme of things or Im complaining. Its more of a "theres always a way to keep more money" sort of thing. Always good to have extra money regardless if we are talking baseball or something else.

Quote Originally Posted by Raps18-19 Champ View Post
    What do you mean? You could make the economics work that you could turn that $10 mil into more than the $15 mil you would pay Springer under that scenario. I mean its not a big deal in the grand scheme of things or Im complaining. Its more of a "theres always a way to keep more money" sort of thing. Always good to have extra money regardless if we are talking baseball or something else.
    Well itís Rogers money so I dgaf at the end of the day. But I would not want that 1 mil hanging around on the budget. You know it would be brought up whenever we are talking about spending. And thinking like that is why Bobby Bonilla is still a household name.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast