Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
Results 136 to 150 of 274
  1. #136
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    36,893
    For that matter is it propaganda if it's just biased reporting that the people involved think is real and fair?

  2. #137
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    29,447
    Fox News often fabricates things. It's a hell of a lot of propaganda with news sprinkled in here and there. Its classified as entertainment. A good high level view of it would be brainwashing of my dad on Amazon prime.

    Just an easy way to see what it is and what it has been for a long time.

    Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by blams; 01-24-2021 at 12:21 PM.

    Click here to register!

    Hope to see some new posters around here soon.

  3. #138
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    36,893
    Quote Originally Posted by nastynice View Post
    If the failed reporting is consistent and purposeful, I would consider it propganda.

    I might be using that word more lightly than most people do.
    Indeed you are. But the Nazis you believe are in charge certainly know what propaganda is.

  4. #139
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    36,893
    Quote Originally Posted by MRSpock View Post
    Speaking of propagandists.... When we figure out in 10 years we've been arguing with a russia AI bot... gonna feel so stupid
    I can't figure out what kind of bot nasty is ... the bizarre positions he choose to stick to to the end are hard to put in a group.

  5. #140
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    11,530
    Quote Originally Posted by nastynice View Post
    On the table meaning somewhat within the purview of mainstream society.

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Then I disagree as scoots has been noting this has long been discussed and an issue.

    It’s more prevalent on actual mainstream media now calling out other mainstream media. Sure. Like I said that’s not an actual awareness that’s just “the other side is fake news” approach.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  6. #141
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    11,530
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    Yes and no. Before the internet there were multiple established news sources to be used as a check ... 20 years ago in the Bay Area there were 7 newspapers and they were in major competition with each other so the papers were constantly trying to catch each other in mistakes let alone outright lies. Now with the internet a concerted effort can spread a lie so far it becomes hard to be certain it's fake, and the discipline to follow comments all the way to the a source that can be validated through a scientific journal and peer review or through multiple validated and reasonable sources ... is rare. I chose to narrow my consumption of media in part because the fact checking takes so long now
    Well sure, that makes sense. It still wouldn’t mean you have access to checking misinformation outside of those handful of sources telling you. It’s not really in your control what they will fact check you are stuck with a bit more reliance on that mainstream media without the many options of today.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  7. #142
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    11,530
    Quote Originally Posted by nastynice View Post
    That's awesome, I grew up in america in the 90's, also post 911, no people were not aware that they were being fed propaganda. Like I said, we can disagree, that's fine. The concept of media being controlled by business was alive and kicking, but people never actually applied it to their perspective of news. Today, people do. So much so, some people just flat out believe the covid is a hoax. They're like the news just lies.

    I see a clear difference. If you dont then ok. You dont have to agree.

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    So your example that people are more aware of propaganda is a group of people not believing science but falling for propaganda pushed by mainstream media like fox about the pandemic because they point at legitimate science and call it fake?

    That’s not an actual awareness of fake news...


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. #143
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    11,530
    Quote Originally Posted by MRSpock View Post
    This is the type of "same type of shoe different feet" rhetoric drives me crazy. CNN is garbage. They play to their ratings. They have a liberal bias. But to act like they are both propaganda is just silly.

    Do they politicize issues to misinform their viewers? Do they promote lies for the sheer reason of gaining votes? Do they hype up fear unreasonably?

    Alot of the "hysteria from CNN" about Trump ended up being pretty damn accurate.

    But Fox continues to promote lies about election fraud (and have for years). There' whole "voter fraud" campaign is merely and attempt to make it harder for people to vote, because it's advantageous to Conservative politicians. They've downplayed the dangers of normalizing radicalized viewpoints, and giving them credence, and never challenging them. People like Hannity were literally in direct contact with Trump and influencing his policy, and Trump was influencing their rhetoric.

    I mean Covid a lone tells you quite a bit about Fox. A national pandemic where we desperately needed accurate information. ANd they used it to manipulate people and politicize it.

    CNN is biased news, and they make mistakes. Fox is legitimately fake news, propagated by the government (or at least has been for the last 4 years).

    If you consider yourself a liberal and are playing the "man in the middle" role on this issue you are part of the problem, and dead wrong.
    Fox is worse, both are bad. I am not sure what the rest of the rant here is about but if you need me to say cnn is amazing because fox is worse... nope.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  9. #144
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    1,535
    Quote Originally Posted by mngopher35 View Post
    Fox is worse, both are bad. I am not sure what the rest of the rant here is about but if you need me to say cnn is amazing because fox is worse... nope.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah my bad. I think I misread your post. On rereading I either misread or quoted you on accident.

  10. #145
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    39,336
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    I don't consume any of them but I think we need to start with a definition of "fake news".

    Is it fake news if the headline puts a spin on a story that is disingenuous?

    Is it fake news if the images used on a story put a spin on a story that is disingenuous?

    Is it fake news if the a significant portion of the story is omitted to put a spin on a story that is disingenuous?

    Or does a story have to be a total fabrication to qualify?
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    For that matter is it propaganda if it's just biased reporting that the people involved think is real and fair?
    The definition of propaganda seems overbroad in this context (simply any fabricated or misleading information used to promote a particular viewpoint), and as such pretty much everything qualifies as propaganda.

    But in trying to ascertain what is or is not fake news or propaganda, this is an interesting article:

    https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...231043680.html

    Matthew Sheffield started a conservative news site whose goal was to call out Liberal media bias, but over time he has come to believe he was wrong in his approach. Here are some of his quotes:

    The problem, as he describes it, is that most conservatives think the purpose of journalism is to wage partisan political warfare, and that has created an ecosystem on the right where facts and truth are increasingly irrelevant.

    “If you go to and look at the history of conservative media enterprises that are large scale and exist presently, every single one of them was created to propagate and propagandize for a particular political viewpoint, literally without exception,” Sheffield said in an interview on “The Long Game,” a Yahoo News podcast. “And that is not the case for just so many mainstream outlets.”

    After Sheffield went to work at the Washington Examiner, where he was the newspaper’s first online editor, he says he realized that “U.S. conservatives do not understand the purpose of journalism.”

    “I didn’t understand that journalism is supposed to portray reality,” he wrote.


    The Examiner was the first place where Sheffield says he saw the kind of standards that differentiate “actual media and reporting institutions” — which may have inherent or even conscious bias — from right-wing websites for which partisan bias is the north star, the guiding principle.

    “Truth for conservative journalists is anything that harms ‘the left.’ It doesn’t even have to be a fact,” he wrote. “I eventually realized that most people who run right-dominated media outlets see it as their DUTY to be unfair and to favor Republicans because doing so would somehow counteract perceived liberal bias.”


    “Most conservative media figures have no journalism training or desire to fact-check their own side,” he added.


    So in regards to what is fake news, obviously any news story that turns out to be entirely fabricated. But I think what makes a site propaganda or a fake news site is the continual and intentional pushing of stories that are knowingly not true or without evidence.

  11. #146
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    11,530
    Quote Originally Posted by MRSpock View Post
    Yeah my bad. I think I misread your post. On rereading I either misread or quoted you on accident.
    All good, I didn't overly disagree just wasn't sure where I had gone against it or anything. I don't watch either but they are often shared by others and the little I have seen FOX is clearly worse/more outrageous or dangerous more often.

  12. #147
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    716
    Quote Originally Posted by mngopher35 View Post
    So your example that people are more aware of propaganda is a group of people not believing science but falling for propaganda pushed by mainstream media like fox about the pandemic because they point at legitimate science and call it fake?

    That’s not an actual awareness of fake news...


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Your mention of people "not believing science" as some kind of labeling done by the so-called WOKE CULTURE of the liberal media is just a great example of how stupid the liberals are. The truth is that the lion's share of people believe in science and to categorize half of America not believing in it is as stupid as it gets.

    However, when a-hole so-called "scientists" deliberately lie about what is going on, people have a damned right to dispute their opinions and so-called "findings". Faucci is, to me, one of the greatest examples of a well known "scientist" who deliberately lied to the country about the history of the Covid virus, its origin, its lethality, the absolute creation of it in China and the the complicity of the WHO to cover-up what they did. NOw, this little vermin is shedding crocodile tears in his new post in Biden's administration about not being able to spread his lies on CNN and MSDNC. POOR BABY.

    In the meantime, you want to talk about SCIENCE? Talk about OPERATION WARP SPEED and the magnificent job Trump did with the real SCIENTISTS on the development of not one but multiple vaccines to fight a virus that was deliberately made in China and used as a biological weapon against the world and especially the US.

    Now instead of a man who tried like hell to PROTECT this country against China, Iran, and other merchants of terror in the world as well as protecting the US against mass illegal immigration , we've got a life time lying politician who used his political position to enrich himself and his family and now is a senile relic of his former pathetic self. And the country who gave him the lion's share of his money???? CHINA.

  13. #148
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    57,957
    My word.

  14. #149
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    38,268
    Quote Originally Posted by MRSpock View Post
    Well that's actually a huge topic. Even people who study history, psychology and other relevant intellectuals can have a problem accurately defining it.

    What I get worried about is really the repetition of Fox and even worse Trump. The way he kept interrupting Biden in the debate saying "Hunter Biden" and "emails". This is how you manipulate someone's world view. Especially after 4 years of using the "fake news" narrative. And you slowly but surely connect these dots to create a new world view.

    A good leftist example of this is Kyle Kulinski on secular talk (a terrible youtube channel). He pushes the "deep state" mythos, and constantly does the same thing. He constantly does the "i told you so", but constantly plays both sides. He repeats the same phrases constantly. Slowly changing them over time. Slowly downloading his worldview (or the worldview he wants you to believe). It's very intentional. And it's very manipulative.

    CNN just isn't anywhere near Fox in this. It's comparing a sniffle to Colon cancer as far as danger goes.
    As far as fox vs CNN, sure, no argument from me there. I felt, and still feel, like the right will eventually erase itself. They are too blatant and obvious with their agenda, I dont think it appeals to anyone in the middle.

    I feel like this trump experiment is just a kind of last gasp for the right. They will have to change a lot of things in order to stay relevant.

    If you look at a worldwide stage, our right wing would be considered an extremist party is majority of the world. It's just a matter of time imo.

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    RAIDERS, SHARKS, WARRIORS

    "i don't believe in mysteries but still i pray for my sister, when speaking to the higher power that listens, to the lifeless vision of freedom everytime we're imprisoned, to the righteous victims of people of a higher position" - planet asia, old timer thoughts

    "God is Universal he is the Ruler Universal" - gangstarr (rip guru), robbin hood theory

    "don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" - bob marley, zion train

  15. #150
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    38,268
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    You didn't answer ... do you know what a politician is saying when they say "Trust me"?

    I agree that the news media was different in the past but that doesn't really mean anything, you said the awareness of fake news is new and it's absolutely not.

    If the news wasn't controlled by corporate interests in the 60s and 70s why does the move Network (1976) exist?
    I said trust me after saying we just disagree. Not to sell you anything.

    I never said it wasnt controlled by corporate, cmon this country fought for freedom over TEA. "Corporate" control is nothing new.

    What does the movie network existing mean? lol, of course people have known this, it just wasnt as common as now. For example, talk to anyone about our business in south america, list out the countries where we have overthrown govts, and see if.people.knew this already or not. Vast majority dont. Whereas if you mention it about the middle east, many more people will be aware of.the idea of.us going to war for oil, etc.

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    RAIDERS, SHARKS, WARRIORS

    "i don't believe in mysteries but still i pray for my sister, when speaking to the higher power that listens, to the lifeless vision of freedom everytime we're imprisoned, to the righteous victims of people of a higher position" - planet asia, old timer thoughts

    "God is Universal he is the Ruler Universal" - gangstarr (rip guru), robbin hood theory

    "don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" - bob marley, zion train

Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •