Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
Results 166 to 180 of 274
  1. #166
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    [emoji288]
    Posts
    20,250
    Quote Originally Posted by MRSpock View Post
    Oh and I suggest anyone to read the book "This is not Propaganda". It's related to the propaganda used in Russia to develop huge mistrust in the media... It might feel eerily similar to what has happened the last 5 years.
    "We'll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the American public believes is false." -- William Casey, former CIA Director

  2. #167
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    39,723

  3. #168
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    The Boogie Down
    Posts
    105,274
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    Tweet has been deleted, so what it said?

  4. #169
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    39,723
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    Tweet has been deleted, so what it said?
    https://twitter.com/TMZ/status/1353453658143297536

    Multiple people flew banners over Mar-A-Lago saying "Trump, you pathetic loser go back to Moscow" and "Trump Worst President Ever"

  5. #170
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    6,670
    Quote Originally Posted by mngopher35 View Post
    At no point have you actually shown the trend you claim. Scoots has shown how it’s not new and I think others noted this as well. The examples you have given either don’t make sense like the people screaming fake news at things that are real (that’s not actual awareness) or simply pointing at shifting attitudes then claiming it as proof because you think it shows it.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I think someone mentioned this before(maybe you), but I think the interweb allows people to choose to only hear from partisan/fake sources. The sensational stuff in the past was balanced with other only locally available news. Now that there are so many available options, you only have to come across opposing viewpoints if you seek them out.

  6. #171
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    56,897
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird of Prey View Post
    It has never been close to being this bad. We have seen documented PROOF of a network (CNN) intentionally lying to their viewers. It bad enough that these networks deliberately held back real news stories to help Biden escape what he and his family did to take money from foreign operatives. It is also one thing that they created a ongoing stream of deliberate leaking of classified information from operatives within the government that hated Trump and not only reported the classified information but also in many cases mis-reported what the information was. For awhile it was somewhere around one or two leaks a day.
    OAN and Tucker Carlson are great though, amirite?

  7. #172
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    56,897
    Quote Originally Posted by mngopher35 View Post
    At no point have you actually shown the trend you claim. Scoots has shown how it’s not new and I think others noted this as well. The examples you have given either don’t make sense like the people screaming fake news at things that are real (that’s not actual awareness) or simply pointing at shifting attitudes then claiming it as proof because you think it shows it.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dude never shifts off his initial argument even if he's being bombarded with information that disproves it.

  8. #173
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    56,897
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    https://twitter.com/TMZ/status/1353453658143297536

    Multiple people flew banners over Mar-A-Lago saying "Trump, you pathetic loser go back to Moscow" and "Trump Worst President Ever"

  9. #174
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    The Boogie Down
    Posts
    105,274
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    https://twitter.com/TMZ/status/1353453658143297536

    Multiple people flew banners over Mar-A-Lago saying "Trump, you pathetic loser go back to Moscow" and "Trump Worst President Ever"
    I saw the worst president one.

  10. #175
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    11,250
    Quote Originally Posted by benny01 View Post
    I think someone mentioned this before(maybe you), but I think the interweb allows people to choose to only hear from partisan/fake sources. The sensational stuff in the past was balanced with other only locally available news. Now that there are so many available options, you only have to come across opposing viewpoints if you seek them out.
    Ya I think this has happened for sure and people are able to just stick to what they want to hear. Mainstream media has to cater to this as well in order to keep audiences tuning in which has pushed them a bit more extreme/partisan in coverage and now they just say the other side is "fake news" if it doesn't fit the narrative being pushed.

  11. #176
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    37,239
    Quote Originally Posted by mngopher35 View Post
    At no point have you actually shown the trend you claim. Scoots has shown how it’s not new and I think others noted this as well. The examples you have given either don’t make sense like the people screaming fake news at things that are real (that’s not actual awareness) or simply pointing at shifting attitudes then claiming it as proof because you think it shows it.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You can believe whatever you want, I never said anything is proof of anything, I'm just telling you what I've seen and backing it up. The fact that movies and documentaries about it exist doesnt mean it was in mainstream society.

    A big effect of people screaming fake news is that moderate people have become much more aware that there is indeed fakeness in the news.

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    RAIDERS, SHARKS, WARRIORS

    "i don't believe in mysteries but still i pray for my sister, when speaking to the higher power that listens, to the lifeless vision of freedom everytime we're imprisoned, to the righteous victims of people of a higher position" - planet asia, old timer thoughts

    "God is Universal he is the Ruler Universal" - gangstarr (rip guru), robbin hood theory

    "don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" - bob marley, zion train

  12. #177
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    56,897
    It's almost like your childhood memories don't define everyone else's reality....

  13. #178
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Flock of Sheep No.97 near BAAA BAA lane
    Posts
    13,347
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    https://twitter.com/TMZ/status/1353453658143297536

    Multiple people flew banners over Mar-A-Lago saying "Trump, you pathetic loser go back to Moscow" and "Trump Worst President Ever"
    His brand is dead amongst his peers, his followers are shrinking and Proud Boys and extreme groups like them are finished with him. They thought he was their savior but turned into a paper tiger.
    A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom.

    Martin Luther King.

  14. #179
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    11,250
    Quote Originally Posted by nastynice View Post
    You can believe whatever you want, I never said anything is proof of anything, I'm just telling you what I've seen and backing it up. The fact that movies and documentaries about it exist doesnt mean it was in mainstream society.

    A big effect of people screaming fake news is that moderate people have become much more aware that there is indeed fakeness in the news.

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Lol except what you back it up with makes no sense and scoots already shared plenty showing you off base. The fact that those were made also shows people were aware and it was in the open at the time. At the very least logic and actual examples throughout history can easily be shown while you haven’t made a coherent point/example the other way yet.

    The news has gotten a bit more extreme catering to bases, sure as I said. The general idea of media having an agenda isn’t remotely new nor are many people screaming fake news even aware what it actually is (as your own example is proof of). People are using the idea of fake news to call things they don’t wanna hear fake which is different than an actual awareness.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  15. #180
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    36,047
    Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    The definition of propaganda seems overbroad in this context (simply any fabricated or misleading information used to promote a particular viewpoint), and as such pretty much everything qualifies as propaganda.

    But in trying to ascertain what is or is not fake news or propaganda, this is an interesting article:

    https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...231043680.html

    Matthew Sheffield started a conservative news site whose goal was to call out Liberal media bias, but over time he has come to believe he was wrong in his approach. Here are some of his quotes:

    The problem, as he describes it, is that most conservatives think the purpose of journalism is to wage partisan political warfare, and that has created an ecosystem on the right where facts and truth are increasingly irrelevant.

    “If you go to and look at the history of conservative media enterprises that are large scale and exist presently, every single one of them was created to propagate and propagandize for a particular political viewpoint, literally without exception,” Sheffield said in an interview on “The Long Game,” a Yahoo News podcast. “And that is not the case for just so many mainstream outlets.”

    After Sheffield went to work at the Washington Examiner, where he was the newspaper’s first online editor, he says he realized that “U.S. conservatives do not understand the purpose of journalism.”

    “I didn’t understand that journalism is supposed to portray reality,” he wrote.


    The Examiner was the first place where Sheffield says he saw the kind of standards that differentiate “actual media and reporting institutions” — which may have inherent or even conscious bias — from right-wing websites for which partisan bias is the north star, the guiding principle.

    “Truth for conservative journalists is anything that harms ‘the left.’ It doesn’t even have to be a fact,” he wrote. “I eventually realized that most people who run right-dominated media outlets see it as their DUTY to be unfair and to favor Republicans because doing so would somehow counteract perceived liberal bias.”


    “Most conservative media figures have no journalism training or desire to fact-check their own side,” he added.


    So in regards to what is fake news, obviously any news story that turns out to be entirely fabricated. But I think what makes a site propaganda or a fake news site is the continual and intentional pushing of stories that are knowingly not true or without evidence.
    That's good stuff. I agree. Not in the blanket sense he implies, but fundamentally "conservative" news is about fighting "liberal" news, and that's been true for a long time. Unfortunately I think "liberal" news outlets have been sliding into the "teams" view of everything too ... not nearly as bad for most but it does seem to be deteriorating.

Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •