Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Mets Fire Jared Porter

This is turning into a real drama. For two straight years they hire somebody only to fire him soon after. Last year it was Carlos Beltran. This year it's Jared Porter for something that he did five years ago.

The vetting process needs work but at least they fire them after

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

I felt the same way about how he was vetted. But according to ESPN it was the victim in all of this that wanted to remain anonymous because of fear of backlash in her own country. So there was no reporting about this for 4 years. Which I find astounding in itself. Journalists with integrity? Who'd a thunk.

From the Mets perspective, at least they have been quick to deal with issues. Whether it be Beltran last year or Porter this year. I remember Cohen stating when he bought the team officially that he wanted to change the culture. This is part of it. Dealing with these sort of serious shenanigans quickly.
    Last edited by wdwyer; 01-19-2021 at 10:04 AM.

Yes I think the Mets handled it well and the fact this was swept under the rug for 4 years means that you can't really blame the Mets outside of maybe getting unlucky with who they choose. Crazy though that it was swept under the rug for so long

You can blame the Mets for the Beltran hire. You can't blame them for this one.

It's another embarrassment for the franchise, though.

Some people are criticizing Cohen for takin 9 hours to fire him.

I am like thatís as fast as it could have been done.

Their are legal matters that first have to be addressed and also some investigating on your part.

Agreed. Also people bring up how the Mets fired Willie at 3AM but if they don't remember.... the Mets got a lot of flack for that as it was super unprofessional. I am glad they did it early today around 8AM.

I assumed it would have been done during work hours, sometime after 9am. I was happy it went down well before that. It hasn't been mentioned...but one would assume these people sleep. SA found out late last night reportedly from watching ESPN. He then talked to Porter directly and by all accounts he knew then he was being fired. Those complaining it took too long, are really just trying to find something to complain about.

I am assuming Cohen found out this morning when he woke up.

I wonder if we can give Zack Scott the job now or if he will have to stay assistant GM as collateral to this situation. Since Jared Porter did give him a raving review saying they worked together for 15 years and he knows his stuff. Seems like Porter wanted him on the team also as his assistant GM, so wonder if that hurts Scott after what just transpired. Do we do a complete clean break from this and also go with completely new GM? Or do we promote Scott?

Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    Some people are criticizing Cohen for takin 9 hours to fire him.

I am like thatís as fast as it could have been done.

Their are legal matters that first have to be addressed and also some investigating on your part.
    9 hours is ok to me. From the time you get the information, and depending on who first got wind of it, you notify Cohen, then Alderson. Then you've got to get together and discuss what acteion to take. Of course you have to contact Porter and hear his side of it. By the time all is said and done, 9 hours is quick.

Quote Originally Posted by kyubi256 View Post
    I wonder if we can give Zack Scott the job now or if he will have to stay assistant GM as collateral to this situation. Since Jared Porter did give him a raving review saying they worked together for 15 years and he knows his stuff. Seems like Porter wanted him on the team also as his assistant GM, so wonder if that hurts Scott after what just transpired. Do we do a complete clean break from this and also go with completely new GM? Or do we promote Scott?
    You can't exactly judge someone else's character based on another person's actions. Though in this case it can be argued that Porter's lack of judgment could hurt Scott. But it shouldn't be the end all be all of Scott's reputation. But what it does suggest that the vetting process of everyone moving forward will be ever more stricter. Not that the Mets could have uncovered this incident with Porter any better. But the next GM, whether it is Scott or not, is going to have their entire everything extensively checked.

I agree but I think that means it isn't so easy to just be like "alright Scott is our new GM." And I think the Porter judge of character could be a notch against him.

It seems like nowadays you simply can't make any poor decisions in life.. or any potential future employment will be in jeopardy. We'll never know if Porter is genuinely sorry for his actions and has had a change of heart, but there's something a bit off with modern day thinking on these matters, imo. No chance for redemption, no chance to earn trust from your employer.. I'm not saying the Mets actions are wrong.. They did what they needed to do. But if we really knew some of the hidden things everyone did, unemployment would be through the roof. We're all human and all fallible. I really hope Jared does realize the seriousness of his actions and changes for the better.

There are some offenses that are "no chance for redemption" and this is one of those. Mainly because...

1. He sent 60+ unreplied messages within a 2 month or more period.... Like she was ignoring him and he was still spamming her.

2. He was abusing his power at this moment especially with a text such as "anything I can do to help you work related"

3. He escalated it so much. From bulge to actual nude pics. Again, she was not replying.

4. And this is the one that really does him in.... HE HID IT FOR 5 ****ING YEARS

Mets Fire Jared Porter

Quote Originally Posted by kyubi256 View Post
    There are some offenses that are "no chance for redemption" and this is one of those. Mainly because...

1. He sent 60+ unreplied messages within a 2 month or more period.... Like she was ignoring him and he was still spamming her.

2. He was abusing his power at this moment especially with a text such as "anything I can do to help you work related"

3. He escalated it so much. From bulge to actual nude pics. Again, she was not replying.

4. And this is the one that really does him in.... HE HID IT FOR 5 ****ING YEARS
    No chance at redemption? You make it sound like he committed 1st-degree murder. And even those guys can get a 2nd chance at redemption. Make no mistake, heís a creep and a loser for this. But instead of being a child and ignoring him, why couldnít she be an adult and reject his advances or block his number when he kept texting?

The article just makes a bunch of excuses for her actions. If she said his bulge pic was inappropriate instead of laughing and saying she liked it, I guarantee he never sends a dick pic and would have likely apologized and stopped texting her period.

Social media is really just a bunch of keyboard warriors on their high horse looking to tear people down for likes and retweets. No one wants to hear both sides of the story or have an unpopular opinion. This whole situation could have easily been avoided with proper communication. That much is obvious.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast