Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 84 of 94 FirstFirst ... 34748283848586 ... LastLast
Results 1,246 to 1,260 of 1399
    Quote Originally Posted by WhyCantWeWin View Post
    Super mega awesome news
    Hoyer also said they'll limit Marquez's innings next year since he didn't pitch in 2021 and the shortened season of 2020, similar to how they had to approach Alzolay this year.

Velasquez went 3-4 with 2 doubles in the first AFL game

He just won't stop hitting.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    He just won't stop hitting.

Lance Brozdowski had an AFL preview and mentioned that Velazquez's high-end exit velocities are some of the best in the minors. Also mentioned that he doesn't have much of a defensive home, but I think you have to bet on power like that in the Cubs' position. Your key young position players on the big league roster are Hoerner and Madrigal, who are both slap hitters. They need to be surrounded by barrels.

Quote Originally Posted by NoChiInChamp View Post
    Lance Brozdowski had an AFL preview and mentioned that Velazquez's high-end exit velocities are some of the best in the minors. Also mentioned that he doesn't have much of a defensive home, but I think you have to bet on power like that in the Cubs' position. Your key young position players on the big league roster are Hoerner and Madrigal, who are both slap hitters. They need to be surrounded by barrels.
    Yep. Defensive position is a big question. Bryan Smith suggested if (when) the DH is added to the NL, with his need to be on the 40 man and a strong AFL that he could force his way into that role real quickly next season. I tend to agree.

Jensen sucked balls tonight. 4 walks and 4 outs recorded.

Cubs sign infielder Alejandro Rivero ...left Cuba in 2015 .

https://www.cubsinsider.com/2021/10/...e-performance/

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by GoCubsGo617; 10-21-2021 at 05:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GoCubsGo617 View Post
    Cubs sign infielder Alejandro Rivero ...left Cuba in 2015 .

https://www.cubsinsider.com/2021/10/...e-performance/

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Looking at his stats he seems like a really good hitter. A bit older for college, but if you can hit you can hit. Played SS and 3B, probably has a decent arm then:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/r...d=rivero003ale

Covid has seemingly destroyed Caleb Killian. First 2 outings in the AFL have been horrendous.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratos View Post
    Looking at his stats he seems like a really good hitter. A bit older for college, but if you can hit you can hit. Played SS and 3B, probably has a decent arm then:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/r...d=rivero003ale
    Wonder if they will consider giving him an opportunity for the 3B job in ST and or at some point in season after getting AB in Iowa.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by chibears55 View Post
    Wonder if they will consider giving him an opportunity for the 3B job in ST and or at some point in season after getting AB in Iowa.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
    Maybe in 2024, but not in 2022. Rivero was farting around Independent baseball after playing in the NIAA and going undrafted. He's not going to Iowa in 2022 unless he absolutely lights the planet on fire and he's absolutely not getting a roster invitee to spring training and getting a chance for the starting job for the Chicago Cubs. Max Bain, a similarly aged (24) UDFA was sent to South Bend. That's low-A. That's where Rivas is going. He won't be getting PA's in Iowa, nor will he be in any sort of consideration for the "MLB starting job in spring training". That's ridiculous.

None of this is anything against Rivero. He's interesting enough as a UDFA. The Cubs have killed it with UDFA's recently (Bain, Leeper, Kobos, all possible MLB Players). But Rivero is no where near making the MLB right now. He's probably never going to make it above Tennessee, because that's just how things work. I'm rooting for him, but it's the realistic scenario here.
    Last edited by 1908_Cubs; 10-23-2021 at 08:20 PM.

2021 Chicago Cubs Minor League Thread

[QUOTE=1908_Cubs;34133722]Maybe in 2024, but not in 2022. Rivas was farting around Independent baseball after playing in the NIAA and going undrafted. He's not going to Iowa in 2022 unless he absolutely lights the planet on fire and he's absolutely not getting a roster invitee to spring training and getting a chance for the starting job for the Chicago Cubs. Max Bain, a similarly aged (24) UDFA was sent to South Bend. That's low-A. That's where Rivas is going. He won't be getting PA's in Iowa, nor will he be in any sort of consideration for the "MLB starting job in spring training". That's ridiculous.

None of this is anything against Rivas. He's interesting enough as a UDFA. The Cubs have killed it with UDFA's recently (Bain, Leeper, Kobos, all possible MLB Players). But Rivas is no where near making the MLB right now. He's probably never going to make it above Tennessee, because that's just how things work. I'm rooting for him, but it's the realistic scenario

Nvm 08. Didnít mean to quote you

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

They will need to add Velazquez to the 40 man roster this offseason . Small sample but keeps hitting at the AFL.

Quote Originally Posted by Dfan25 View Post
    They will need to add Velazquez to the 40 man roster this offseason . Small sample but keeps hitting at the AFL.

I expect he'll get a look in ST to stick with the Cubs. I'm not sure if he will or won't, but I think he's on the short list for DH right now, and I'm not sure the Cubs will do enough this offseason to push him far enough down the list where he won't still be on the short list. He probably will need to show his bat's staying power in Iowa before he gets the job outright, but he's a no brainer-40 keep right now.

He's been a nice surprise with the progress in his bat. He can't find a defensive home, so DH looks like the outcome, but with the DH likely coming to the entire league...the Cubs will have a "position" for him.

Page 84 of 94 FirstFirst ... 34748283848586 ... LastLast