Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 84 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Proximo View Post
    Green would have loved Happ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ian Happ more than doubles the league average strikeout rate from 1981-87. Happ would have never been considered.

Quote Originally Posted by cuzi View Post
    Ian Happ more than doubles the league average strikeout rate from 1981-87. Happ would have never been considered.
    Itís a byproduct of the era.

Quote Originally Posted by Proximo View Post
    Itís a byproduct of the era.

Are you saying that Happ only strikes out because of the era he plays in? That he's 7th percentile in swing and miss rate because of the era?

There's plenty of actual good players, actual players that you would want to build a team around, in the current era that do what Happ does while striking out at a rate that would fit right in with the '81-87 era.

Your obsession with Happ is weird. Building around him would be like the Cubs building around Starlin Castro. A really bad team in which the "star" player looks better than he really is because the team as a whole is truly awful.

Quote Originally Posted by cuzi View Post
    Are you saying that Happ only strikes out because of the era he plays in? That he's 7th percentile in swing and miss rate because of the era?

There's plenty of actual good players, actual players that you would want to build a team around, in the current era that do what Happ does while striking out at a rate that would fit right in with the '81-87 era.

Your obsession with Happ is weird. Building around him would be like the Cubs building around Starlin Castro. A really bad team in which the "star" player looks better than he really is because the team as a whole is truly awful.
    Happ fits the same mold as Mark DeRosa. The intangibles cannot be statistically quantified. Itís about the optics and the results.

See no further than Jason Heyward in 2016. Did his statline measure his worth? No, yet he contributions beyond the statistics were immeasurable.

You build your core around that type of player.

Okay, I mean, I'm glad Happ become worth something after having been sent down to the minors, but I don't think we need to have this much discussion over him. If he's really something more, he needs to do it over a full season.
    Ü

"But if we hope for that we see not, then do we with patience wait for it."

- Romans 8:25

If the Cubs fielded 7 Mark DeRosa's that team wouldn't be very good either

I wish Happ was as good as you claim. We could trade him, or all 7 of him and get some better prospects. He's a piece on a team that wins. Not the guy you build around to win.

Corey Abbott had added a one seam (yes) fastball this offseason. Thats fun.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    Corey Abbott had added a one seam (yes) fastball this offseason. Thats fun.

How does that even move haha? Does it behave like a cutter and then comeback?

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JBears79 View Post
    How does that even move haha? Does it behave like a cutter and then comeback?

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk
    It functions as a sinker/cutter hybrid.

https://twitter.com/PitchingNinja/st...670573056?s=20

Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    It functions as a sinker/cutter hybrid.

https://twitter.com/PitchingNinja/st...670573056?s=20

How anybody hits Treinen is beyond me. And how his k/9 isnít outside of this world is shocking just by the few times Iíve watched him. He was dang near unhittable in 2018 and was getting lit up (one game by us - ooooo just thought about that Happ homer off him) in 2019.

Was listening to the baseball America podcast released a few days ago. It previewed their 2021 top 100 prospect listing. One of the two people on the show referenced Brennan Davis when talking about someone who come mid season could significantly climb their rankings.Any realistic comps?

Also fangraphs, last month, produced an awesome piece evaluating the Darvish trade return. The author ranked Preciado higher than Ed Howard. While Iím no Howard supporter, as I get a definite almora vibe in terms of an all glove no bat prep player, thatís still a nice comment to read.

Quote Originally Posted by Prior22 View Post
    Was listening to the baseball America podcast released a few days ago. It previewed their 2021 top 100 prospect listing. One of the two people on the show referenced Brennan Davis when talking about someone who come mid season could significantly climb their rankings.Any realistic comps?

Also fangraphs, last month, produced an awesome piece evaluating the Darvish trade return. The author ranked Preciado higher than Ed Howard. While Iím no Howard supporter, as I get a definite almora vibe in terms of an all glove no bat prep player, thatís still a nice comment to read.
    Comps are so hard and they just don't really match up a ton. Though, I guess if I'm forced to find a comparison, he reminds me of a George Springer type in CF. Springer is 6"3, Davis is 6"4. Davis needs to fill out more (he's gangly, but definitely has been adding bulk), but I think Springer is the best current, MLB guy in CF I think of when I see Davis. Springer's really learned to control his K's and his K% in the low 20's is probably where Davis "best case" is, too. Davis hitting 25-30 home runs is probably pretty realistic, too.

On terms of Howard, I don't get the Almora comparison at all, and I think that's a really poor one. It's recency bias. Howard's bat is more of a question than Almora's, which is both good and bad. He's actually hit really well in his time in HS ball (and hit comparative to what Alek Thomas, one of Arizona's best prospects did at the same HS), but Chicago HS ball is garbage so his question is how he stacks up against advanced pitching with wood bats. He also didn't have a senior year, essentially, to show off any added power or advancement. He did hit really well during his showcases, so I think there's a chance his bat is actually better than advertised. He's also already added a fairly significant change in his weigh distribution and load, which should increase his power. Almora's bat was playing for Team USA and his lack of power was pretty well documented. Almora's bat was advanced, but people believed due to his frame, he'd hit for more power. While Howard's bat remains more of an unknown (cold weather HS baseball and no senior year), it also allows for more wiggle room; he's not someone you have a book on and hope his frame magically develops power like Almora. I really like Ed Howard a lot. From all reports, he's a great kid, hard worker. You add that to his frame, and already heading off some (necessary) swing changes and I think you've got a good foundation to work from.

I've come a full 180 on Howard since draft day. I was initially underwhelmed, but I think it was coming from a space of "I really like players X, Y, and Z" instead. Taking a step back, really deep diving into his profile, seeing swing advancement before really working with the Cubs in full-season...those are all things that have me very excited. I don't expect him to be a super-fast mover; I think 2025 is probably his ETA right now, but there's good projection there, too.
    Last edited by 1908_Cubs; 01-23-2021 at 03:36 PM.

Page 5 of 84 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast