Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 17 of 27 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast
    https://twitter.com/DownontheFarm8/s...232491524?s=19

Morel with an absolute monster bomb.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

Iowa with the combine no-hitter. So there's that.
    Screw sabermetics.

Not sure if this has been posted anywhere, but I see where MLB is expected to add trading of draft picks in this new CBA thatís upcoming.

Quote Originally Posted by JD94 View Post
    Not sure if this has been posted anywhere, but I see where MLB is expected to add trading of draft picks in this new CBA thatís upcoming.
    Love it. That will help drive a little more interest in the draft and provide a new trade currency that is needed as teams are more reluctant to move top prospects in any deal. Theyíll need to have an accountant in the room on draft night to figure out the impact on the bonus pool of every potential move and how that impacts the rest of the draft budget.

It is another advantage for the teams getting the extra competitive balance picks. Every team in the division except the cubs start each draft with more picks and each IFA period with a higher bonus pool. All the more reason why the Cubs need to use their financial advantage and outspend these teams.

Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    Love it. That will help drive a little more interest in the draft and provide a new trade currency that is needed as teams are more reluctant to move top prospects in any deal. Theyíll need to have an accountant in the room on draft night to figure out the impact on the bonus pool of every potential move and how that impacts the rest of the draft budget.

It is another advantage for the teams getting the extra competitive balance picks. Every team in the division except the cubs start each draft with more picks and each IFA period with a higher bonus pool. All the more reason why the Cubs need to use their financial advantage and outspend these teams.
    Exactly. Iím very excited for this. It was just a matter of time.

Any interest in Gunnar Hoglund who was supposed to be a top 10 pick, but just learned he needs TJ? Kiley McDaniel thinks he will now fall in the 15-25 range.

2021 Chicago Cubs Minor League Thread

Quote Originally Posted by JD94 View Post
    Any interest in Gunnar Hoglund who was supposed to be a top 10 pick, but just learned he needs TJ? Kiley McDaniel thinks he will now fall in the 15-25 range.
    Sure. If his bonus demands are reasonable Iíd be fine waiting for a TJ recovery to get a top 10 talent. Walker Buehler was a little bit better of a prospect but he had the same situation where he needed TJ just before the draft. He slipped to 24 and the Dodgers made the best pick of the 1st round that year. Giolito was arguably the top pitcher in his draft and he fell to 16 because he had a sprained UCL that turned into TJ after he was picked.

There are others Iíd be happy with at 21, but if he falls and heíd accept a slightly overslot bonus at 21 that would be a nice pick.
    Last edited by CP_414; 05-12-2021 at 11:36 AM.

Cam Sanders is a name you need to throw in your back pocket. He was a 12th rounder the Cubs snagged a few years ago. Big arm, couldn't throw strikes. Well...he can throw strikes now, it seems.

14:3 K/BB in 9.1 IP. Huge curve, big fastball. 24 years old in AA.

He's not TORP ready or anything but he's a name to stash. In June we could be talking about a top-10 Cub prospect out of left field.

Take it FWIW: Keith Law via The Athletic wrote an article and has these players as his current Top 5 draft prospects:

1) Henry Davis, C (Louisville)
    2) Jordan Lawler, SS (Jesuit College Prep. of Dallas)
    3) Marcelo Mayer, SS (Eastlake HS, CA)
    4) Kumar Rocker, P (Vanderbilt)
    5) Jack Leiter, P (Vanderbilt)

2016 World Series Champions!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CubsRule08 View Post
    Take it FWIW: Keith Law via The Athletic wrote an article and has these players as his current Top 5 draft prospects:

I remember thinking the Cubs had a shot at Davis a few months ago. Heís impressive.

Carraway threw 2 strikes out of 22 pitches and didn't record an out.

The farm is getting roundly abused in the early going.

Bain walks too many also

Quote Originally Posted by WOwolfOL View Post
    Carraway threw 2 strikes out of 22 pitches and didn't record an out.

The farm is getting roundly abused in the early going.

Bain walks too many also
    Walks are an issue in the lower levels across baseball right now. The Southeast League has seen the BB/9 raise over 2 per game since last time they played. They've had four games that had a team score 18+ runs. The Tarpons scored 19 and then 25 the next day. It's bonkers out there.

I would not read much into "getting abused" right now. This is early season rust compounded by these players not playing a competitive game for 18 months. MiLB isn't going to be pretty during stretches (especially early) of this year due to the rust.

Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    Walks are an issue in the lower levels across baseball right now. The Southeast League has seen the BB/9 raise over 2 per game since last time they played. They've had four games that had a team score 18+ runs. The Tarpons scored 19 and then 25 the next day. It's bonkers out there.

I would not read much into "getting abused" right now. This is early season rust compounded by these players not playing a competitive game for 18 months. MiLB isn't going to be pretty during stretches (especially early) of this year due to the rust.

You're right, the league K rate in single-A East is over 30%. That's simply horrible baseball. Sucks that Howard and Nwogu sit as the worst and the 3rd worst among all qualified hitters, though, both over 50% so far. The caveat being that each is consistently facing pitchers several years older than them, so some of this should be expected. But you can't just wave the struggles away and TBH it feels like our system is simply behind offensively, which is ****** timing being that now we have the pitching lab and we have plenty of intriguing arms to follow. There are some in our fanbase who believe our system is underrated, and that is not looking to be the case in this first couple weeks. I surely understand some struggles are to be expected, but being that badly overmatched certainly squashes some of the excitement I had built up.

Quote Originally Posted by WOwolfOL View Post
    You're right, the league K rate in single-A East is over 30%. That's simply horrible baseball. Sucks that Howard and Nwogu sit as the worst and the 3rd worst among all qualified hitters, though, both over 50% so far. The caveat being that each is consistently facing pitchers several years older than them, so some of this should be expected. But you can't just wave the struggles away and TBH it feels like our system is simply behind offensively, which is ****** timing being that now we have the pitching lab and we have plenty of intriguing arms to follow. There are some in our fanbase who believe our system is underrated, and that is not looking to be the case in this first couple weeks. I surely understand some struggles are to be expected, but being that badly overmatched certainly squashes some of the excitement I had built up.
    It's like...10 days in Wolf. The Myrtle Beach team played its first 6 games against the Rays system; probably the best in baseball. These guys have barely played competitive baseball in two years. And we aren't even two weeks in. Nwogu is a player who didn't have a traditional season, hasn't played a game in almost a year, started baseball late, didn't play in a particularly great conference, is playing in a league that has consistently suppressed offense no matter the talent level historically, is going against a great system and undergoing a pretty big swing change. We are shocked he's missing the baseball? You can play this game for much of the system's headliners. Guys like Davis haven't played (he got hit in the face). Howard legitimately didn't have a season last year and is 19. Pinneiago didn't have a season and is raw. Most of our best arms are still in AZ.

Yes, yes you can easily wave away this as "don't panic, wait and see". Don't get caught up in ugly numbers simply because they're ugly, look past it. MiLB is in a spot it's never been. I expect funky, weird numbers right now. You did this when you posted stat after stat about the Cubs offense being so horrible-bad the first 2 weeks of the MLB season too; an offense that rebounded just fine. Don't get caught up in early season, small sample size numbers that look ugly. Especially with development. Let's see what these guys look like in July and August comparative to now. That's what the MiLB game is all about.

I have legitimately zero worry that many Cub prospects, a system headlined largely by low level, young players who simply didn't have a season last year, are hitting the ground struggling. Frankly, I expected it. If you think our system is behind because of 10 days, then I think you're panic selling. I'll say it again; it's like 10 days, Wolf. Come back from the ledge. If you liked a player April 30th, there's no reason to change a damn thing about how you feel about him May 13th of of same season. I felt, on April 30th that this is a very underrated system with lots of helium. It's May 14th; I feel the Cubs system is underrated and has lots of helium.

Last edited by 1908_Cubs; 05-14-2021 at 07:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CubsRule08 View Post

Leiter has been struggling his last few starts a little. Plus he was scratched last weekend due to fatigue. And he was a late addition to the rotation this weekend.

As Iíve said a few times on here, I live right down the road from Ole Miss, so Iím going to watch Rocker pitch tonight and Leiter tomorrow. Iím pumped.

Page 17 of 27 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast