Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 12 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

2021 Chicago Cubs Minor League Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Doogolas View Post
    Do bloodlines only count in this case because his dad was a great pitcher? Because Kumar Rocker's dad was an NFL player, and I think but it's been a while, is in the College Football HOF.
    I guess. I wouldnít put a ton of stock in that part specifically, but Leiter is smooth.

Look at this makeup (Iím just using makeup as a word that means whatever I want it to mean):
    https://twitter.com/pitchingninja/st...900699650?s=21

I like Rocker a ton too. I just think Leiter is going to be very good and is as low risk as you can get from a college pitcher. Heís polished. Rocker might be as good or better but since he has fewer pitches and with his size he feels riskier to me. Just my opinion at this point though. Obviously thereís risk to any pitching prospect.
    Last edited by CP_414; 03-04-2021 at 10:27 PM.

I think Cory Abbott is going to be one of those guys who flies under the radar and gets stuck in AAA but keeps pitching pretty well in the minors and eventually gets a shot in rotation due to injury and could stick as a BORP, kinda like a Mills minus the minor league success.

Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    I guess. I wouldnít put a ton of stock in that part specifically, but Leiter is smooth.

Look at this makeup (Iím just using makeup as a word that means whatever I want it to mean):
    https://twitter.com/pitchingninja/st...900699650?s=21

I like Rocker a ton too. I just think Leiter is going to be very good and is as low risk as you can get from a college pitcher. Heís polished. Rocker might be as good or better but since he has fewer pitches and with his size he feels riskier to me. Just my opinion at this point though. Obviously thereís risk to any pitching prospect.

BA highlighted Pinango and DJ Herz as potential breakout prospects for 2021. Apparently Herz made a delivery adjustment that resulted in a velocity and spin rate jump.

Quote Originally Posted by NoChiInChamp View Post
    BA highlighted Pinango and DJ Herz as potential breakout prospects for 2021. Apparently Herz made a delivery adjustment that resulted in a velocity and spin rate jump.
    I honestly completely forgot about DJ Herz. With the lack of a 2020 minor league year, he really flew under the radar.

For the uninitiated:

Shendrik Apostel is 20 years old. He was listed at 6"5, 245lbs when he was 19. 1b prospect. Deep sleeper in the Pirates system. Doesn't get prospect love because he's 1b or bust (1b hardly get love when they are so limited defensively). Impressive walk numbers, vastly improved K% numbers. Huge raw power prospects (5 bombs in 27 games as a 19 year old).

He's not going to crack any top-20 lists right now, but he's shockingly interesting for someone the Cubs just DFA'ed in Underwood.

From Bryan Smith, it sounds like he's from the same hometown in Curacao that someone in the Cubs org is from. Probably got eyes on him.

Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    For the uninitiated:

Shendrik Apostel is 20 years old. He was listed at 6"5, 245lbs when he was 19. 1b prospect. Deep sleeper in the Pirates system. Doesn't get prospect love because he's 1b or bust (1b hardly get love when they are so limited defensively). Impressive walk numbers, vastly improved K% numbers. Huge raw power prospects (5 bombs in 27 games as a 19 year old).
    I know versatility is all the rage in baseball but I also believe there is value in a player knowing and playing one position and playing it well, especially if his bat plays. Not all players needs to be versatile to be valuable. So time will tell what this Apostel story will be.
    Screw sabermetics.

It's not like we have any 1B prospects, so this is better than nothing and he's intriguing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluefire View Post
    I know versatility is all the rage in baseball but I also believe there is value in a player knowing and playing one position and playing it well, especially if his bat plays. Not all players needs to be versatile to be valuable. So time will tell what this Apostel story will be.
    Well, this isn't why 1b prospects don't get love. It has to do with paths. A young SS has multiple paths to the MLB. Maybe they add size and offensive capabilities and go to 3b. Or their arm doesn't play but they're 2b. Or they can move to CF. Or their defense carries them over their bat. It's options. A 1b prospect has only 1 path; hit. That's it. It's why someone who is 6"5 and 245lbs flies under the radar; if Apostel isn't a great hitter at every level he's not a prospect. Defensive 1b just don't have spots. 1b doesn't move off the spot, especially someone of his size.

So it's not about "versatility" or "playing a position well". It's paths. Options. Possibilities. As an evaluator, paths come into play. It's about getting these guys from point A *the low minors* to point B *MLB* in the end. Someone like Preciado has like 5 paths (or more) to being an MLB regular. He can be a defensive SS, or an offensive SS or a 3b with defense if he adds size, maybe he can play LF like a Kris Bryant 3b type, or possible a 1b if he has to move, or a DH. Apostel has one; hit really well and you'll either play 1b or DH (just using another young player as a reference point, nothing more).

I think many evaluators like his bat, but the reason 1b prospects rarely go high in a draft or they sit low in rankings is just that. They're just hard to get to the majors because they're so limited in how.

Apostel is a shockingly good lottery ticket the Cubs got back from Underwood, a DFA'd player. He probably won't make the MLB; he's a young lottery ticket with a single path to being an MLB regular. That said, that's not a knock. He very well may; he just probably will do so flying under the radar the entire time.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by 1908_Cubs; 03-08-2021 at 12:29 AM.

I'm just gonna take a way-premature victory lap on my Sal Frelick top 10 take. From Kevin Goldstein's notes:

For teams looking for a college bat, is Sal Frelick becoming the guy? Heís not the kind of player who catches your eye when he steps off the bus, but he packs plenty of tools into his 5-foot-9 frame. And if you are looking for performance to go with tools, this is your dude, as Frelick is hitting .476/.531/857 in his first 10 games for the Eagles, with much of that damage coming against conference foes. Frelickís swing is exceptionally simple and compact, employing a no-step trigger with quick rotation, plus bat speed, excellent contact ability and some sneaky pop, and while heís played all over the diamond as an amateur, heís seemingly found a home this spring in center field, where his above-average wheels serve him well. When the only bad thing to say about a player is that heís 5-foot-9, you really doesnít have anything bad to say about the player.

Yeah Frelick us killing it. I didn't think he'd get that big of a jump. Good call.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by NoChiInChamp View Post
    I'm just gonna take a way-premature victory lap on my Sal Frelick top 10 take. From Kevin Goldstein's notes:
    Tons of defensive versatility and plus contact from a short lefty. Jeff McNeil? Count me in if thatís a fair comp.

Page 12 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast