Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
    Posting this here even though I also mentioned it in the spring training thread:

AZ Phil had Keegan Thompson 94-97 on his four seamer in his relief showing for Arrieta. That's...extremely interesting. Dude has a starter's arsenal. He's on the 40-man, so I'm VERY intrigued to see if there's a multi-inning relief role for him to carve out this year.

I donít think thereís any doubt who goes 1.1 in the MLB draft this year. It has to be Jack Leiter. He is straight up out of this world right now. He threw a no hitter with like 14 kís last week and followed it up with 7 no hit innings tonight. He only got pulled bc of pitch count and throwing almost 130 pitches last week to get his no hitter. He most likely would have thrown 2 straight no hitters if it wasnít for his pitch count. Heís just insane.

Also, as yíall know (or maybe not) Iím an Ole Miss grad, and big Ole Miss guy. Watch for my guy Gunnar Hoglund in the top 10 picks this year. Iím very excited for him. Heís a legit stud. He got drafted in the 1st round out of HS but chose to go to college and itís really paid off. He is night and day different than when he stepped on campus a few years ago to what he is now. Last week against Auburn he went 8 innings with 13 Kís and no runs. Fastball sits 93-95, but can touch 97 when he wants to. Has command of all his off speed pitches. In HS, I think he literally only walked 3 hitters the whole time. It was a learning curve for him to learn how to pitch, rather than just throw the fastball by guys. He has definitely figured it out though. Had roughly 25 scouts at the game watching him today.

Quote Originally Posted by JD94 View Post
    I donít think thereís any doubt who goes 1.1 in the MLB draft this year. It has to be Jack Leiter. He is straight up out of this world right now. He threw a no hitter with like 14 kís last week and followed it up with 7 no hit innings tonight. He only got pulled bc of pitch count and throwing almost 130 pitches last week to get his no hitter. He most likely would have thrown 2 straight no hitters if it wasnít for his pitch count. Heís just insane.

Also, as yíall know (or maybe not) Iím an Ole Miss grad, and big Ole Miss guy. Watch for my guy Gunnar Hoglund in the top 10 picks this year. Iím very excited for him. Heís a legit stud. He got drafted in the 1st round out of HS but chose to go to college and itís really paid off. He is night and day different than when he stepped on campus a few years ago to what he is now. Last week against Auburn he went 8 innings with 13 Kís and no runs. Fastball sits 93-95, but can touch 97 when he wants to. Has command of all his off speed pitches. In HS, I think he literally only walked 3 hitters the whole time. It was a learning curve for him to learn how to pitch, rather than just throw the fastball by guys. He has definitely figured it out though. Had roughly 25 scouts at the game watching him today.
    Yeah. Hes gonna be a beast.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JD94 View Post

Leiter's curve looks like it's hitting an invisible ceiling and bounces on an angle towards the plate. Very impressive.
    Last edited by thawv; 04-10-2021 at 11:17 AM.

2021 Chicago Cubs Minor League Thread

https://twitter.com/sbcubs/status/13...178328073?s=21

Cubs Alternate Site to show games on South Bend Facebook Page. Game starts at 1 pm
    Last edited by CubsRule08; 04-10-2021 at 12:36 PM.

2016 World Series Champions!!!

Keith Law recently ranked Alabama RHP Dylan Smith at 22 on his draft top 50.

One of the biggest risers of the spring so far, Smith is a rarity in the draft ó a college pitcher with a lot of projection left. Heís a former position player and an excellent athlete who can touch 95 but pitches more at 92-93, with big spin on a power slider, and has shown an extremely competitive demeanor on the mound against good SEC competition.
    Also young for the class (doesn't turn 21 until late May), 12.1 K/9, 2.0 BB/9, 2.58 ERA this year. I'm convinced the Dodgers draft him and he turns into their next starting caliber pitcher who's relegated to swingman duties because the staff is so goddamn deep. Last time I said this kind of thing about a draft prospect it was about the Cardinals drafting Hoerner and turning him into their next random white utility player who just kinda mashes out of nowhere, so I'm trying to will Smith to the Cubs into existence (if Harry Ford is gone).
    Last edited by NoChiInChamp; 04-18-2021 at 01:16 PM.

I've been riding the Bachman train for about a month. Sadly, much like Frelick my picker was too good, and he's ranked, I think, 12th on Laws list.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

I wonder how far Jaden Hill slips in the draft? He was having a rough season even before the injury. His sample size of being good in college is minuscule. But he has a pretty good fastball and an absolutely sick changeup.

Deep sleeper SP prospect time; keep an eye out on Max Bain. He's not going to jump on any top-30 lists, as he was signed by the Cubs as an MiLB free agent; he was undrafted. He went to Northwood University in Michigan a D2 school. He showed up in Arizona after a body transformation this spring...he's averaging 97-99mph on his fastball and sounds like he's going to be the opening day starter in Myrtle Beach. He's 23, so he's going to be an overager here. But he's a deep sleeper and the Cubs may have found a guy here.

Just a back pocket name.

https://twitter.com/watchmarquee/sta...345946645?s=21

Marquee to broadcast 14 Iowa Cubs games this upcoming year

https://twitter.com/bleachernation/s...363833867?s=21

It seems like this happens quite frequently with Brennen Davis. Always getting hit near the head or something like that

Davis says he'll be back next week. Feeling good.

Quote Originally Posted by WOwolfOL View Post
    Davis says he'll be back next week. Feeling good.
    Thatís a relief.

Robert Stock really seems to have taken to our pitching instruction/development. We picked him up off of waivers from Boston and stuck him in the lab. Tonight he threw 21/28 pitches for strikes, his FB sat 99 and topped at 101, and he mixed in 12 sliders. Pitched 2 scoreless and K'd 4.

That'll play.

New mlb.com mock. Iíll be pretty happy if the Cubs can choose with Ford and Bachman on the board.

https://www.mlb.com/news/mock-mlb-draft-2021

Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast