Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

2016 World Series Champions!!!

Dan Szymborski released his Top 100 prospects via ZiPS projections.

He has Amaya ranked #27, Davis ranked #86 and P Cory Abbott ranked #96 on his Top 100 list.

2016 World Series Champions!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CubsRule08 View Post
    Dan Szymborski released his Top 100 prospects via ZiPS projections.

He has Amaya ranked #27, Davis ranked #86 and P Cory Abbott ranked #96 on his Top 100 list.
    Really excited to see if Abbott finally gets a real shot. My hope is that he's the first one up from Iowa (if Alzolay is on the big league roster, that is).

Kiley McDaniel's Cubs top 10:

1. Brennen Davis, CF, 50 FV (63)
    2. Miguel Amaya, C, 50 FV (83)
    3. Brailyn Marquez, LHP, 50 FV (111)
    4. Adbert Alzolay, RHP, 45+ FV (164)
    5. Ed Howard, SS, 45 FV
    6. Cole Roederer, RF, 45 FV
    7. Yeison Santana, SS, 45 FV
    8. Reggie Preciado, SS, 45 FV
    9. Cristian Hernandez, SS, 45 FV
    10. Kevin Made, SS, 45 FV
    Also mentions Strumpf (11), Jensen (12), and Mena (15) in the piece as 40+ FV guys. Ronnier Quintero (17), Owen Caissie (22), and Jordan Nwogu (23) are the mentioned 40 FVs. Last year's FanGraphs list, which McDaniel helped put together, also had Kohl Franklin, Burl Carraway, Cory Abbott, and Christopher Morel as 40+ FVs, so I imagine the gaps here can be filled with some of those names.

Quote Originally Posted by NoChiInChamp View Post
    Kiley McDaniel's Cubs top 10:

Also mentions Strumpf (11), Jensen (12), and Mena (15) in the piece as 40+ FV guys. Ronnier Quintero (17), Owen Caissie (22), and Jordan Nwogu (23) are the mentioned 40 FVs. Last year's FanGraphs list, which McDaniel helped put together, also had Kohl Franklin, Burl Carraway, Cory Abbott, and Christopher Morel as 40+ FVs, so I imagine the gaps here can be filled with some of those names.
    Lots of teenagers on that list.

I think hes sleeping on Kohl Franklin.

Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    Lots of teenagers on that list.

I think hes sleeping on Kohl Franklin.
    Yeah I think he's really sleeping on him. I think many are. He's probably my favorite arm in the system, more so than even Marquez.

Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    Yeah I think he's really sleeping on him. I think many are. He's probably my favorite arm in the system, more so than even Marquez.
    I mean, I'm closer to Law on him than McDaniel seems to be, but I think it's easy to see why some prospect guys wouldn't be on him as much given the fact that he was sort of a pop-up guy in high school and hasn't built up much of a track record in the pros due to COVID yet. Low-level pitchers can be so fickle.

If we're talking about favorite arms, I don't think Jensen gets as much love as he probably should. Two fastballs with velo and spin to go along with the athleticism to develop steadier command. The pitch mix is different, but I do get some Rich Harden vibes from him due to the size, velocity, and arm stroke. Harden had an injury history, but he was an excellent pitcher at his peak.
    Last edited by NoChiInChamp; 02-20-2021 at 06:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NoChiInChamp View Post
    I mean, I'm closer to Law on him than McDaniel seems to be, but I think it's easy to see why some prospect guys wouldn't be on him as much given the fact that he was sort of a pop-up guy in high school and hasn't built up much of a track record in the pros due to COVID yet. Low-level pitchers can be so fickle.

If we're talking about favorite arms, I don't think Jensen gets as much love as he probably should. Two fastballs with velo and spin to go along with the athleticism to develop steadier command. The pitch mix is different, but I do get some Rich Harden vibes from him due to the size, velocity, and arm stroke. Harden had an injury history, but he was an excellent pitcher at his peak.
    I've been a Franklin guy since draft day. Something about him, always loved him. I think with his extra growth this offseason, he should be a guy everyone is mentioning in the Cubs system as a breakout guy. Especially if you're listing 40+fv guys. Hes got about as much breakout potential as any arm I can think of. But I'm partial, so who knows?

I like Jensen but I just don't know if I can convince myaelf he's a SP, yet. I want to believe, though.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

Who would yall take 1.1 this year? Rocker or Leiter?

And in the 2022 draft class I hope we take a hard look at at couple of Ole Miss players (my alma mater, Im bias) Derek Diamond (SP) and Peyton Chatagnier (2b). Diamond has some very high upside. Sits 94-97 with the fastball. Pretty good slider that sits 84-86 and a changeup that hes still developing. Hes a fast riser and just shut down Texas on Monday. Chatagnier will be a gold glover at 2b and can also play SS and play it well. Strong hit tool with some pop.

Heres a little clip of Diamond from Monday:

https://twitter.com/olemissbsb/statu...755752963?s=21

Also Hayden Dunhurst has pretty big potential too. Hes the catcher at Ole Miss and one of the best ones weve had come through in a long time. Heck of a glove and has really impressed with the bat up to this point as well.

Quote Originally Posted by JD94 View Post

And in the 2022 draft class I hope we take a hard look at at couple of Ole Miss players (my alma mater, Im bias) Derek Diamond (SP) and Peyton Chatagnier (2b). Diamond has some very high upside. Sits 94-97 with the fastball. Pretty good slider that sits 84-86 and a changeup that hes still developing. Hes a fast riser and just shut down Texas on Monday. Chatagnier will be a gold glover at 2b and can also play SS and play it well. Strong hit tool with some pop.

Also Hayden Dunhurst has pretty big potential too. Hes the catcher at Ole Miss and one of the best ones weve had come through in a long time. Heck of a glove and has really impressed with the bat up to this point as well.
    Leiter or Khalil Watson would be on top of my list right now. For the pirates situation Watson might be the better risk. If they come away with him and Green the next 2 drafts they might be the Cubs top competition in the mid 2020s.

Leiter or Khalil Watson would be on top of my list right now. For the pirates situation Watson might be the better risk. If they come away with him and Green the next 2 drafts they might be the Cubs top competition in the mid 2020s.
    Yeah I could see that. It would be hard to pass on Leiter though imo. And Jud Fabian is going to get a lot of love early in the 1st, but man I need to see him fix some of that swing and miss in his game before I would feel comfortable taking him in the top 10.

Put me on the Kumar Rocker train. I think there's just more upside there. I like Leiter a ton as a 2nd SP option, but Rocker's fastball/slider combination is disgusting and if you can work on the command/consistency there, then I don't think they're in the same tier of SP prospect. While I can see a world where Leiter ends up being the better arm, I think in their best case scenarios, there's no way Leiter is better than Rocker, and for that, it's Rocker for me if I have to pick between the two.

For Watson, while I like Watson, I'm not sure I love him enough to take him 1.1. Even as the Pirates. I've read a few places that think his body type will eventually push him off SS (despite being defensively solid). While I think there are other players his size at SS (not necessarily height/weight but height/weight distribution - he's got short legs), I do wonder if he'll stick at SS. Have seen a few concerns about his hit tool long term, too. If you are convinced he's a SS and he'll have the range for it, and you have him at a 55 hit tool, then I'd see an argument for him 1.1. That said I really like him as a player, he's fun, and he's got way more power than someone his size should normally have. I think someone in the top-10 will be very happy to snap him up.

Quote Originally Posted by JD94 View Post

Rocker would be my 100% 1.1 guy. He's just filthy.

Vandy just keeps churning out pitchers!

2021 Chicago Cubs Minor League Thread

Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    Put me on the Kumar Rocker train. I think there's just more upside there. I like Leiter a ton as a 2nd SP option, but Rocker's fastball/slider combination is disgusting and if you can work on the command/consistency there, then I don't think they're in the same tier of SP prospect. While I can see a world where Leiter ends up being the better arm, I think in their best case scenarios, there's no way Leiter is better than Rocker, and for that, it's Rocker for me if I have to pick between the two.

For Watson, while I like Watson, I'm not sure I love him enough to take him 1.1. Even as the Pirates. I've read a few places that think his body type will eventually push him off SS (despite being defensively solid). While I think there are other players his size at SS (not necessarily height/weight but height/weight distribution - he's got short legs), I do wonder if he'll stick at SS. Have seen a few concerns about his hit tool long term, too. If you are convinced he's a SS and he'll have the range for it, and you have him at a 55 hit tool, then I'd see an argument for him 1.1. That said I really like him as a player, he's fun, and he's got way more power than someone his size should normally have. I think someone in the top-10 will be very happy to snap him up.
    If Im going safe Im taking Leiter. Its weird to say a pitcher is a safe prospect, but he feels safe to me. His stuff is very good, 4 good pitches, plus future command, bloodlines. Id be surprised if he wasnt a good Mlb starting pitcher within a few years. Id agree Rocker has more upside, but more risk and not much more upside if Leiter holds his velo from this last start throughout the year.

If Im going for upside Id probably go Watson at this point. I think hes got potential to be the best player in this class with his power speed combo. If he has to move off SS, it sounds like hes got the athleticism for CF so theres a premium position profile there either way.

Long way to go until July, but thats where Id be at today.
    Last edited by CP_414; 02-24-2021 at 06:32 PM.

If Im going safe Im taking Leiter. Its weird to say a pitcher is a safe prospect, but he feels safe to me. His stuff is very good, 4 good pitches, plus future command, bloodlines. Id be surprised if he wasnt a good Mlb starting pitcher within a few years. Id agree Rocker has more upside, but more risk and not much more upside if Leiter holds his velo from this last start throughout the year.

If Im going for upside Id probably go Watson at this point. I think hes got potential to be the best player in this class with his power speed combo. If he has to move off SS, it sounds like hes got the athleticism for CF so theres a premium position profile there either way.

Long way to go until July, but thats where Id be at today.
    Yeah, I think Leiter is safer, but if I'm sitting 1.1, give me the upside, myself. I think Rocker can still settle in as a MORP if you can't fix some of his command and consistency. But Rocker just offers things that Leiter cannot in a package where I'm not super worried about him, either. I still think even with the velo, Rocker's slider is elite, and I don't think Leiter has a pitch close to that slider (I've seen 70 grades on his sliders from more than 1 place, Leiter tends to sit in the 55's across the board). I don't think you're wrong for liking Leiter, just wouldn't be me.

With Watson, I'm not sure he's an ideal SS to CF candidate. He'd come off SS because of his legs; he's got short legs. So while he's more than athletic, range seems to be a concern at SS...I would imagine that would still be a concern at CF. Shorter legs = less ground covered. Maybe it's not as big of a deal as it could be being made out from some places, and I'm not sure I know enough myself to offer an opinion, but whatever, I'm bored, so I'll say I think he's more of a SS to 2b/3b (probably 2b) candidate than he is a SS to CF candidate. I agree he's got a lot of upside, but I think you could probably find as much upside in say, Mayer, who people are all over the place on his power (45-60). He's probably in need of some swing changes, but he's got, IMO, the same upside as Watson offers. But I think we're splitting hairs there between prep bats that are all really good upside. This is a far better prep-bat draft than I think we've seen in a bit (I'm far more excited than for the prep bats at the top than last year, where it was kind of like Veen...and then that's it, though I think part of that was due to the pandemic).

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast