Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 135 of 189
  1. #121
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    12,719
    Fangraphs top prospects list: https://blogs.fangraphs.com/2021-top-100-prospects/

    Guess who is the youngest player on the list?

  2. #122
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    57,736
    Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    Fangraphs top prospects list: https://blogs.fangraphs.com/2021-top-100-prospects/

    Guess who is the youngest player on the list?
    Should also be noted, that there are 31 players who have already reached the MLB on that list, many of whom will graduate very shortly due to time spent in the majors. There are also others who will make MLB teams out of camp, and/or shortly there after. It's probably going to be an unprecedented number of fast graduations with teams going cheap, an upcoming CBA which will probably have some tweaks in service time (and owners knowing that) and missing a year of development. So while Preciado sits at #133, it's probably a safe bet to really considering him between 95-105 when you take all of that into account, as it's probably like 1.5 months away from a league year from dropping 25-35+ players.
    Last edited by 1908_Cubs; 02-17-2021 at 12:06 PM.

  3. #123
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    12,719
    Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    Should also be noted, that there are 31 players who have already reached the MLB on that list, many of whom will graduate very shortly due to time spent in the majors. There are also others who will make MLB teams out of camp, and/or shortly there after. It's probably going to be an unprecedented number of fast graduations with teams going cheap, an upcoming CBA which will probably have some tweaks in service time (and owners knowing that) and missing a year of development. So while Preciado sits at #133, it's probably a safe bet to really considering him between 95-105 when you take all of that into account, as it's probably like 1.5 months away from a league year from dropping 25-35+ players.
    Longenhagen has probably seen Preciado more than any of the other prospect evaluators and he clearly loves him. To rank him on that list as the youngest player to make it, before he plays an affiliated game yet is pretty impressive. To Longenhagen, hes above Amaya, Howard, and everyone else in the Cubs system other than Davis and Marquez and hes not 18 yet.

    Kiley also commented in his farm system ranking that the Cubs have a chance to be the top farm system in mlb in a couple years because of all the teenage talent theyve acquired. Hes talking about the Darvish return, Ed Howard, Hernandez, etc.

    What the Cubs are doing at the Mlb level right now is trash, but I have no doubt they are going to build a great farm system over the next 2 years.

  4. #124
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    57,736
    Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    Longenhagen has probably seen Preciado more than any of the other prospect evaluators and he clearly loves him. To rank him on that list as the youngest player to make it, before he plays an affiliated game yet is pretty impressive. To Longenhagen, hes above Amaya, Howard, and everyone else in the Cubs system other than Davis and Marquez and hes not 18 yet.

    Kiley also commented in his farm system ranking that the Cubs have a chance to be the top farm system in mlb in a couple years because of all the teenage talent theyve acquired. Hes talking about the Darvish return, Ed Howard, Hernandez, etc.

    What the Cubs are doing at the Mlb level right now is trash, but I have no doubt they are going to build a great farm system over the next 2 years.
    Absolutely. It's nice to see people get on the bandwagon. Theres always been some really interesting prospects in the lowered level. It's a system that should have real helium.

    Love the love Longenhagen is giving Preciado.

    Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

  5. #125
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,102
    Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    Absolutely. It's nice to see people get on the bandwagon. Theres always been some really interesting prospects in the lowered level. It's a system that should have real helium.

    Love the love Longenhagen is giving Preciado.

    Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk
    Longenhagen did note that he was almost scared off of Preciado on this list by reports that he was swinging and missing on a lot of breaking balls. But ultimately he leaned on the idea that this is a 17 year old who was facing unusually advanced arms for instructs.

    Anyway, been going through some draft stuff and someone is gonna have to talk me out of being all-in on the Cubs drafting prep catcher Harry Ford. Great athlete (60 run grades being dropped on him), awesome bat speed, short levers. Kinda love the idea of the Cubs throwing caution to the wind on the risk of young catchers just grabbing up all the upside at the position as we get closer to automated strike zones. Especially a guy like Ford, who looks like the type of athlete you could play all over the field. There's gonna be a period of a few years where having strong bats at the position is going to give you a leg up on everyone.

  6. #126
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,102
    Also spent some time looking at guys Kantrovitz teams have taken in the top 10 rounds going back to his time in STL. Mostly just looking at colleges these players were drafted from or were committed to since the pandemic makes evaluation weird and the expectation is that decision makers are going to rely on their contacts around amateur ball a bit more, especially college coaches. Anyway, in STL looks like the team really liked Florida State guys (longtime coach Mike Martin retired in 2019, but his son, Mike, Jr., took over after being an assistant there for over 20 years). Oakland loved University of Florida guys. Kantrovitz teams took UNC players or commits in the top 10 rounds each year from in 2013-17 and again in 2019. The last few years have seen Oklahoma players/commits as first picks (Kyler Murray and Ed Howard), a couple of Michigan guys, and two high picks from Dallas Baptist (Jameson Hannah, Burl Carraway). A few LSU guys are thrown in there over the years too, which is notable since AGM Randy Bush is tight with LSU coach Randy Mainieri and that relationship looks like it may have played a role in the Cubs drafting Alex Lange, Cam Sanders, and Jake Slaughter in recent years.
    Last edited by NoChiInChamp; 02-18-2021 at 03:54 AM.

  7. #127
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    57,736
    I like Harry Ford. I'm not sure I'm all-in, but I like him. Much like a lot of kids, swing adjustments are going to be needed I think. Not a fan of all the pre swing hand movement. They're a bit low, then he's still wiggling, then he comes through the zone. I'd like to see those raised a bit, cut out motion. His hit tool is his biggest question mark and I think his hands are where he's having issues. Hands there and he's going to struggle to get up in the zone. Just needs to quiet down and raise.

    Defensively, keep drafting catchers and own the market. Especially guys like Ford who can move. He can probably play 2nd no problem, maybe be a 3rd baseman if necessary, and play LF. He moves well. Good enough arm. Maybe RF? Not sure I know how well his arm is for that, but I bet it's possible. So if one of these IFA kids is the next big thing you can move Ford around and the bat should play most spots.

    If he's on the board where the Cubs are, I'd be thumbs up on the pick. As we go, and can see more kids this spring, I'm pretty sure he'd end up on my short list (I'm being overly cautious with my favorites right now. I feel like we are going to see more volatility than normal after a missed/mostly missed 2020 for many). Think he's an interesting, athletic player with pretty damn nice bat. A little worried that he's maxed out size wise already, but I can live with it.

    Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by 1908_Cubs; 02-18-2021 at 08:52 AM.

  8. #128
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,102
    Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    I like Harry Ford. I'm not sure I'm all-in, but I like him. Much like a lot of kids, swing adjustments are going to be needed I think. Not a fan of all the pre swing hand movement. They're a bit low, then he's still wiggling, then he comes through the zone. I'd like to see those raised a bit, cut out motion. His hit tool is his biggest question mark and I think his hands are where he's having issues. Hands there and he's going to struggle to get up in the zone. Just needs to quiet down and raise.

    Defensively, keep drafting catchers and own the market. Especially guys like Ford who can move. He can probably play 2nd no problem, maybe be a 3rd baseman if necessary, and play LF. He moves well. Good enough arm. Maybe RF? Not sure I know how well his arm is for that, but I bet it's possible. So if one of these IFA kids is the next big thing you can move Ford around and the bat should play most spots.

    If he's on the board where the Cubs are, I'd be thumbs up on the pick. As we go, and can see more kids this spring, I'm pretty sure he'd end up on my short list (I'm being overly cautious with my favorites right now. I feel like we are going to see more volatility than normal after a missed/mostly missed 2020 for many). Think he's an interesting, athletic player with pretty damn nice bat. A little worried that he's maxed out size wise already, but I can live with it.

    Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk
    I'm not overly concerned with mechanical aspects right now. I think the Cubs have made the investments in hitting infrastructure to iron that stuff out, especially when you consider the strides they made with Davis so early (plus, easy to forget, but 2019 saw them tweak Hoerner very successfully too). As far as frame goes, Ford generates a bunch of bat speed already, so physical projection doesn't worry me.

  9. #129
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    57,736
    Quote Originally Posted by NoChiInChamp View Post
    I'm not overly concerned with mechanical aspects right now. I think the Cubs have made the investments in hitting infrastructure to iron that stuff out, especially when you consider the strides they made with Davis so early (plus, easy to forget, but 2019 saw them tweak Hoerner very successfully too). As far as frame goes, Ford generates a bunch of bat speed already, so physical projection doesn't worry me.
    Oh I'm not "worried" about the mechanics. Just pointing out those would need to be addressed. His hit tool is the thing most widely talked about as his flaws offensively, and my guess is that he struggles to get to the high pitch (he's routinely called a "low ball hitter" as well, throughout reports). I think that's likely due to hand placement and extra superfluous movements. He has barrel speed for days, so there has to be something locking him up, and those hands seem like the most likely culprit. Don't think they're a fatal flaw, just a flaw that can be ironed out.

    My issue with the frame is that it's maxed out probably. This is what you get there unless you get some growth. It's not to say it's an overtly bad thing, but in terms of projection there's little do be done there. It's not a lanky kid, for example, who you can add to. Ford is kind of what he is physically right now. Which is both good in that...he's got a good frame. But a little disappointing you can't project out much change.

    I'd be fine with a Ford pick. It's too early for me to be in all-in on anyone in the draft yet, though. There was so little baseball last year, and so many players will come flying out of the woodwork (others will eliminate themselves) that I just don't want to start picking a horse to ride yet. Ford's on a short list of guys I hope are available at 21 as of today. Wouldn't gripe at all about the pick.

  10. #130
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    57,736
    So, with the talk of Ford, and getting into pre-draft reading and guys I'm a fan of...one of my favorite players in the draft is Sal Frelick. I say this, and want to preface it with; I'm not sure I want it to be the Cubs who draft Frelick (I don't really know if there's monster upside, though he does play thin positions), but love his game. 5"9, plus-plus runner who hits some pretty solid bombs when he's adding load in his swing. Approach at the plate seems advanced. Basically throws his body around in the field. Not sure he'll have a super long career (he's reckless and relies on speed and defense a lot). Not sure he'll ever be higher than a 3 fWAR guy. But he's a fun, fun, fun player. He's got enough versatility to where 2b or CF could be potential homes. And did I mention he's fun?

    He'll be on my shortlist, but mainly because I just really like him. He'll be a guy I'll follow no matter where he goes (please don't go to St. Louis. I don't want to hate you).
    Last edited by 1908_Cubs; 02-18-2021 at 03:14 PM.

  11. #131
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    12,719
    Elijah Green in 2022 has a chance to be the most obvious 1.1 since Bryce. Im hoping some AL team finishes worse than the pirates this year.

    For guys ranked in that 15-30 range in the 21 draft Im most interested in Pacheco, Hurd, Gray, Jobe, and Knight, but a lot will change once the college season really gets going.

  12. #132
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,102
    Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    So, with the talk of Ford, and getting into pre-draft reading and guys I'm a fan of...one of my favorite players in the draft is Sal Frelick. I say this, and want to preface it with; I'm not sure I want it to be the Cubs who draft Frelick (I don't really know if there's monster upside, though he does play thin positions), but love his game. 5"9, plus-plus runner who hits some pretty solid bombs when he's adding load in his swing. Approach at the plate seems advanced. Basically throws his body around in the field. Not sure he'll have a super long career (he's reckless and relies on speed and defense a lot). Not sure he'll ever be higher than a 3 fWAR guy. But he's a fun, fun, fun player. He's got enough versatility to where 2b or CF could be potential homes. And did I mention he's fun?

    He'll be on my shortlist, but mainly because I just really like him. He'll be a guy I'll follow no matter where he goes (please don't go to St. Louis. I don't want to hate you).
    Not directly comping, but Frelick feels Benintendi-esque to me in the sense that he's a young-for-his-class bat that I'd love the Cubs to draft but winds up playing his way out of their range. In this case well out of their range given where they're picking. I anticipate Frelick continuing to improve given his athleticism, bat-to-ball, and increased developmental focus on baseball after being a cold-weather multi-sport guy in high school. Top ten doesn't seem unreasonable to me at all. If McLain is iffy at short, would it surprise anyone to see Frelick jump him as one of the higher-floor bats out there?
    Last edited by NoChiInChamp; 02-18-2021 at 03:34 PM.

  13. #133
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Addison, IL
    Posts
    24,796

    2016 World Series Champions!!!


  14. #134
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    57,736
    Quote Originally Posted by NoChiInChamp View Post
    Not directly comping, but Frelick feels Benintendi-esque to me in the sense that he's a young-for-his-class bat that I'd love the Cubs to draft but winds up playing his way out of their range. In this case well out of their range given where they're picking. I anticipate Frelick continuing to improve given his athleticism, bat-to-ball, and increased developmental focus on baseball after being a cold-weather multi-sport guy in high school. Top ten doesn't seem unreasonable to me at all. If McLain is iffy at short, would it surprise anyone to see Frelick jump him as one of the higher-floor bats out there?
    I could see him sneaking into the top-10 with a big year and finding a team going underslot, but I think there's going to be too many high end players. I think Rocker, Fabian, House, Lawler, and Leiter, Watson are all definite "top-10" guys. I know a lot of people like Mayer, but I think he's more prone to fluctuation in draft spot because he's more "projection" right now, he's probably top-10 but I put him outside of that list. So you have probably 7-9 guys (players like Jaden Hill as well) who probably suck up the top-10. I don't think Frelick gets there without a team thinking they can grab someone later in the 2nd with the money saved (Frelick looks to go somewhere after 15 right now).

    Could I see Frelick jumping McLain? Maybe? But I think it'd have to be signability. Even if McLain is iffy at short, the SS/CF projection is better than the CF/2b/COF projection for Frelick. If they both have good seasons in college, I also expect that the UCLA kid in the Pac12 will garner more respect than the BC kid in a cold weather conference.

    That said if you asked me who I'd rather have right now, I'd probably take Frelick myself? I know that's probably a bit crazy, but I am partial to Frelick. McClain's got the better hit tool, but his swing plane is flat, I wonder what that'll look like with a swing adjustment. I think Frelick is actually the more powerful hitter. If you're going to tell me that McLain can't handle SS, I like Frelick better. If McLain sticks at SS...probably McLain. But take that with a grain of salt, I just really like Sal.

  15. #135
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Puerto Rico
    Posts
    14,604

    2021 Chicago Cubs Minor League Thread

    NVM
    Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •