Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 80 of 86 FirstFirst ... 30707879808182 ... LastLast
Results 1,186 to 1,200 of 1276
    Quote Originally Posted by chibears55 View Post
    I never said they won't, im just saying that I would prefer they just go with the younger guys in the rotation mainly because I see next year being pretty much the same as this year with the bats and adding a couple older FA SP isnt gonna make much of a difference...

So, id just rather see them get more of a look at younger pitching then adding older SP just to try and compete more..

I dont care if they draft 5th or 15th if theyre not really gonna do much better

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
    It sounds like you're okay with tanking in 2022. Because that's exactly what it would be. I don't want them to tank next year

Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post
    It sounds like you're okay with tanking in 2022. Because that's exactly what it would be. I don't want them to tank next year
    Sadly, I have a feeling next year is tanking, or spending very little on free agents and trying to remain relevant until June again. Neither option is acceptable.

2021 Chicago Cubs Minor League Thread

Quote Originally Posted by TooL D/R/T View Post
    Sadly, I have a feeling next year is tanking, or spending very little on free agents and trying to remain relevant until June again. Neither option is acceptable.
    Right. Thereís a difference between what we want and what we expect. I canít imagine wanting to tank again next year. Iím watching these games hoping they lose so they can go from the 8th pick next June to the 7th pick. This is ****. I understand if people expect that they will tank next year. Thatís a very real possibility.

I want them to sign some really good players and trade for a couple good controlled players and try to win. I donít know what I expect yet. I could see them spending to build a pretty competitive team. They keep insisting that this isnít a long rebuild. They prioritized mlb level talent in the Kimbrel trade. They have money to spend and prospects on the way at some point in 2022. They might struggle to sell tickets and to get Marquee picked up by cable companies this offseason if they are tanking. However I could also see ownership deciding that they donít want to pay free agent prices and theyíd rather run out a $100 million payroll while they rebuild internally for another year or two instead of spending twice that amount to win. Maybe itís more profitable in the short term to lose than it is to win. As a fan that decision would drive me nuts, but I think thatís a very possible outcome.
    Last edited by CP_414; 09-20-2021 at 03:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post
    It not that im ok with it, i just dont think theyll do that much significant adding to the roster this offseason to what they have now to improve it that much more to be playoff contenders

C. Contreras
    1B Schwindel
    2B Madrigal
    SS Hoerner ( new SS)
    3B Wisdom ( new 3B)
    LF Happ
    CF Ortega ( new OF)
    RF Heyward

Hendricks
    Alzolay

I really believe the only change to the position players may be an OFer over Ortega and even if they add a couple decent SP, i dont think that enough to make them true contenders with those bats as a group all year.

It not that im ok with it, i just dont think theyll do that much significant adding to the roster this offseason to what they have now to improve it that much more to be playoff contenders

C. Contreras
    1B Schwindel
    2B Madrigal
    SS Hoerner ( new SS)
    3B Wisdom ( new 3B)
    LF Happ
    CF Ortega ( new OF)
    RF Heyward

Hendricks
    Alzolay

I really believe the only change to the position players may be an OFer over Ortega and even if they add a couple decent SP, i dont think that enough to make them true contenders with those bats as a group all year.

Nobody's ok with this gigantic market team tanking. I'm under the assumption that they will be HUGE spenders this year. The fans will show up at half capacity if they don't put out a very good team.

That lineup has two legitimate mlb starters in it. The rest are fringe/bench players. They absolutely can't go in to next season with anything resembling that lineup. It will cost them a large fan base. The expectations are not the same as they were in the past. Fans will not come to watch that team. And the Cubs know it.

Not that they will, but they can spend 160 million without batting an eye. As far as pitching goes, they are going to have to buy guys on the wrong side of 30. That seems to be the reality of the situation. Kyle is the only good starter in the system. The rest are either pen guys, #5's, or AAA/AAAA guys. Offensively, they can make a huge splash with 2-3 year contracts until the kids are ready to go.

They either have to tank or spend big money, everything else is fence-sitting. If they don't spend big money i'm out until they do.

Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    I want them to sign some really good players and trade for a couple good controlled players and try to win. I donít know what I expect yet. I could see them spending to build a pretty competitive team. TThey keep insisting that this isnít a long rebuild. They prioritized mlb level talent in the Kimbrel trade.
    What scares me is the empty seats in the stands and the Cubs crying broke again. Not sure they'd pull that because not sure fans would buy that again.

But i mostly believe Hoyer when he says it won't be a full tear down and tank like before. They're in a better position than 2012 or whatever.

The CBA is going to drag things and might make this offseason long for fans. Will give them a chance to hire a GM i guess.

Honestly i'm more excited for this team than I've been in a long time. The old core was dead inside and we get to watch a new group of players. Grabbing a ton of good prospects at the deadline was fun and so is spending 100 million on free agents, hopefully it happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratos View Post
    What scares me is the empty seats in the stands and the Cubs crying broke again. Not sure they'd pull that because not sure fans would buy that again.

But i mostly believe Hoyer when he says it won't be a full tear down and tank like before. They're in a better position than 2012 or whatever.

The CBA is going to drag things and might make this offseason long for fans. Will give them a chance to hire a GM i guess.

Honestly i'm more excited for this team than I've been in a long time. The old core was dead inside and we get to watch a new group of players. Grabbing a ton of good prospects at the deadline was fun and so is spending 100 million on free agents, hopefully it happens.
    If they donít spend because the seats are empty theyíll be rewarded with more empty seats.

I donít know if it is more profitable to have a $200 million payroll and a competitive team or a $100 million payroll and a non competitive team, but I have no doubt that they know the answer to that question.

If they donít spend because the seats are empty theyíll be rewarded with more empty seats.

I donít know if it is more profitable to have a $200 million payroll and a competitive team or a $100 million payroll and a non competitive team, but I have no doubt that they know the answer to that question.
    Not sure. I've seen competitive teams with lots of empty seats too the last couple of months, I assume COVID related. At least a lot of teams are in the same boat, but I assume competitive teams will still spend.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratos View Post
    They either have to tank or spend big money, everything else is fence-sitting. If they don't spend big money i'm out until they do.
    Im just concerned theyíre gonna try and make an okay team, but really, can we make a good one at this point?

Most of our prospects are quite a few years away, and as you said, we need a lot of help this off-season. My fear is - knowing some of the better prospects wonít be ready for at best a few years - theyíre gonna piece next year together and try to keep us entertained for a few months.

On the other hand, can we make a good team next year with as much as we need?

Tanking is not ok next year. I believe they will sign 2 starters. They pretty much have to , to avoid tanking. Now those two starters may be projects but they will be significantly better than our system options. Where I think they splurge is SS and maybe an OF but Brennen Davis is really making a push to be on the big league roster somewhat early next year. Maybe not Bryant early but potentially before the trade deadline.

Robbie Ray and Thor
    Plus Correa and Nick C would be my dream off-season.

If things arenít going well at deadline you got options to load up on specs again. Maybe not 5 trades but Thor, Contreras and many bullpen options to trade off to get some more talent in the system.

If things are looking good we also could be buyer with more room to spend. Plus we could go into the off-season with some more room to fill holes but how much will depend on CBA.

Im just concerned theyíre gonna try and make an okay team, but really, can we make a good one at this point?

Most of our prospects are quite a few years away, and as you said, we need a lot of help this off-season. My fear is - knowing some of the better prospects wonít be ready for at best a few years - theyíre gonna piece next year together and try to keep us entertained for a few months.

On the other hand, can we make a good team next year with as much as we need?
    That the way i see it happening..

Itll be, hey we're bringing Frank the Tank back, he hit well over 300 and Wisdom back, he has the cubs rookie HR record.

New 2Bmen Madrigal to team up with Hoerner up the middle

Contreras Happ Heyward all returning for the 2022 season...

Then theyll add a couple 1-2 yr deal FA arms to the rotation to go with Hendricks and Alzolay and basically win 70-80 games next year...[emoji2369][emoji28]

That the way i see it happening..

Itll be, hey we're bringing Frank the Tank back, he hit well over 300 and Wisdom back, he has the cubs rookie HR record.

New 2Bmen Madrigal to team up with Hoerner up the middle

Contreras Happ Heyward all returning for the 2022 season...

Then theyll add a couple 1-2 yr deal FA arms to the rotation to go with Hendricks and Alzolay and basically win 70-80 games next year...[emoji2369][emoji28]

My hope is they bring in a right -handed hitting outfielder with pop, and one of the better FA shortstops. Then add two good FA starting pitchers (say a #1 and a #3), a top closer (like Kimble) and a good set-up man (like Tepera), and then call it a day. That would mean Hendricks as #2, and Mills and Steele as your #4 and 5. That's 6 imports at roughly $20mill for each of SPs, the SS, OF and closer and 5 -8 mill for the set up pitcher, a total of just over $105 mill.
    Our outfield: Happ, Ortega, new FA, Heyward.
    Infield: Schwindel, Madrigal, Hoerner, FA SS, Wisdom, and either Bote or Duffy.
    Catchers: Contreras and Chrinos
    Would need one more back-up OF, hopefully provided by our minor league system.
    Last edited by Stevemil505; 09-21-2021 at 04:10 PM.

https://twitter.com/ballskwok/status...684854786?s=21

I mentioned it the other day, but I think heís a top 3 prospect in this system already.

https://twitter.com/ballskwok/status...684854786?s=21

I mentioned it the other day, but I think heís a top 3 prospect in this system already.
    If the power develops ok he could be a really good hitter. Hopefully he develops well enough on defense to at least be average.

Page 80 of 86 FirstFirst ... 30707879808182 ... LastLast