Follow us on Twitter

Page 48 of 77 FirstFirst ... 38464748495058 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by WOwolfOL View Post
    Which game?
    Iowa

Quote Originally Posted by BDawk4Prez View Post
    Iowa
    Alfonso Rivas - 1B
    Gregg Deichmann -OF (just acquired in Chafin deal, should be playing with Iowa soon)
    Ben Leeper - CL (will see ML action soon)
    Manuel Rodriguez - RP (same as Leeper)
    Justin Steele - SP (getting stretched out to start, unsure if he'll pitch that day.
    Rowan Wick should be there also.

Their roster is pretty horrible.

Alfonso Rivas - 1B
    Gregg Deichmann -OF (just acquired in Chafin deal, should be playing with Iowa soon)
    Justin Steele - SP (getting stretched out to start, unsure if he'll pitch that day.

Steele scheduled to start tomorrow for Iowa.

But yeah, other than the players listed, the roster is pretty bleh

2016 World Series Champions!!!

Alfonso Rivas - 1B

Great. Sigh.

Thank you!

Alfonso Rivas - 1B

Most of the systems rosters are horrible...Have you seen South Bend? Yikes.

Quote Originally Posted by Cubs420 View Post
    Most of the systems rosters are horrible...Have you seen South Bend? Yikes.
    South Bend's roster isn't that bad? It currently has:

Max Bain, Scott Kobos, Bryce Ball, Yonathon Peralaza, Nelson Velasquez, Ryan Jensen, Chris Clarke, Burl Carraway, Edmond Americaan. Everyone on that list has MLB upside. If you're into deep, deep sleepers, someone like Depperman might interest you, because he throws 97. But he's 25, so even I'm willing to generally ignore him. And while he isn't a prospect I care about, if you just like fun players, Delvin Zinn and his "I'd steal a 5th base if they offered it" style of play is a good watch, too. He's not going to be an MLB player or worthwhile in that way...but that dude can run. And run he does.

Those are all prospects worth following (sans Zinn, I just added him as an extra freebie of fun. He's a fun A+ player, that's kind of it). There's a lot of the roster that org depth but that's almost every MiLB roster on the planet. There's only 40-50 guys in a system worth knowing their names even on the best systems, but over 120 guys employed. It's always going to be that way.

I'd infinitely be more interested in watching a SB game (especially if Jensen or Bain were going) than an Iowa Cubs game (sorry Dawk! Iowa is barren right now, unless you like 30 year old journey men). It might not have the star power of Davis at TN, but up and down depth probably has more interesting names than TN, too. Not trying to be overly rosey there, either. SB's just probably the deepest teams in terms of "these guys might make the MLB" the Cubs system has right now; probably more quantity over quality (Jensen starts are probably the gem right now of that group). If you asked me to rank the teams I'd want to watch...I might rank them #1 right now with the struggled Howard's had in Myrtle Beach and the general lack of interesting players surrounding Davis in TN. Either them or the ACL Cubs.

Iowa's the real stinker of a roster. TN has some upside in Morel, Davis, Roberts and Uekert, and some deep sleepers like Sanders or Young, but it's a pretty stinky roster outside of the upside players (as Marquez/Amaya are not playing). Those are the ugly teams. Part of that is because prospects generally fall off as they age, so the lower levels usually have more names to follow, some of that is the strength of the Cubs system being in youth. SB isn't some juggernaut roster...and it's lacking star power...but it's not a bad roster.

TLDR; SB isn't that bad of a roster. Being harsh.
    Last edited by 1908_Cubs; 07-29-2021 at 08:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    South Bend's roster isn't that bad? It currently has:

Max Bain, Scott Kobos, Bryce Ball, Yonathon Peralaza, Nelson Velasquez, Ryan Jensen, Chris Clarke, Burl Carraway, Edmond Americaan. Everyone on that list has MLB upside. If you're into deep, deep sleepers, someone like Depperman might interest you, because he throws 97. But he's 25, so even I'm willing to generally ignore him. And while he isn't a prospect I care about, if you just like fun players, Delvin Zinn and his "I'd steal a 5th base if they offered it" style of play is a good watch, too. He's not going to be an MLB player or worthwhile in that way...but that dude can run. And run he does.

Those are all prospects worth following (sans Zinn, I just added him as an extra freebie of fun. He's a fun A+ player, that's kind of it). There's a lot of the roster that org depth but that's almost every MiLB roster on the planet. There's only 40-50 guys in a system worth knowing their names even on the best systems, but over 120 guys employed. It's always going to be that way.

I'd infinitely be more interested in watching a SB game (especially if Jensen or Bain were going) than an Iowa Cubs game (sorry Dawk! Iowa is barren right now, unless you like 30 year old journey men). It might not have the star power of Davis at TN, but up and down depth probably has more interesting names than TN, too. Not trying to be overly rosey there, either. SB's just probably the deepest teams in terms of "these guys might make the MLB" the Cubs system has right now; probably more quantity over quality (Jensen starts are probably the gem right now of that group). If you asked me to rank the teams I'd want to watch...I might rank them #1 right now with the struggled Howard's had in Myrtle Beach and the general lack of interesting players surrounding Davis in TN. Either them or the ACL Cubs.

Iowa's the real stinker of a roster. TN has some upside in Morel, Davis, Roberts and Uekert, and some deep sleepers like Sanders or Young, but it's a pretty stinky roster outside of the upside players (as Marquez/Amaya are not playing). Those are the ugly teams. Part of that is because prospects generally fall off as they age, so the lower levels usually have more names to follow, some of that is the strength of the Cubs system being in youth. SB isn't some juggernaut roster...and it's lacking star power...but it's not a bad roster.

TLDR; SB isn't that bad of a roster. Being harsh.
    I think we have a different definition of what's exciting or worth following and thats fine.

I think we have a different definition of what's exciting or worth following and thats fine.
    I am perfectly fine having different things we enjoy to follow. Fair play, we all like what we like, and I won't force that on you; I'm much more of a prospect geek than most, and I get that. The issue I have is with the word "horrible", as it's simply not. The SB roster is not "horrible". It may not be what you want to follow, but describing it as "horrible" undersells the amount of potential MLB talent within that team, even if some of the talent isn't going to be star talent and may be more role talent.

There's a better way to describe it than you initially did. It's a team that offers more quantity in possible MLB talent than potential star power. "They're a team you'd like to watch if you want to see a lot of guys who might make the MLB, but only 2 or 3 guys with any impact potential" is how I'd call them. A horrible team is more like Iowa. A team who has like, three guys who even offer anything of interest. Calling it horrible is just...a bit unfair and doesn't really capture what's going on in SB, too.

Different strokes, different folks in terms of how you want to follow. But a horrible roster it is not.
    Last edited by 1908_Cubs; 07-29-2021 at 08:47 AM.

https://twitter.com/cubprospects/sta...419508742?s=19

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Monster month for Nwogu continued last night with a pair of doubles. He almost has a league average line now, as his July OPS is just under 1.0, 435 wOBA 160 wRC+

Monster month for Nwogu continued last night with a pair of doubles. He almost has a league average line now, as his July OPS is just under 1.0, 435 wOBA 160 wRC+
    K% is inching down, too. Had it under 23% for July until this week, where he jumped way back up again. He's added a brand new double-toe-tap and completely eliminated any leg kick. I think I tossed him aside too fast (I'm so sorry, Jordan, you know I love you). Dude was always raw and a major work in progress. This is a prospect I needed to have patience on a bit more and follow my own advice that prospect development is not linear and it's and up and down battle.

Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    K% is inching down, too. Had it under 23% for July until this week, where he jumped way back up again. He's added a brand new double-toe-tap and completely eliminated any leg kick. I think I tossed him aside too fast (I'm so sorry, Jordan, you know I love you). Dude was always raw and a major work in progress. This is a prospect I needed to have patience on a bit more and follow my own advice that prospect development is not linear and it's and up and down battle.
    I tossed him aside too, but I get emotional and do that alot.

Awesome to see he is turning it around, It looked like Howard was starting to do the same until like the last week or so. Hopefully he picks it back up too.

I tossed him aside too, but I get emotional and do that alot.

Awesome to see he is turning it around, It looked like Howard was starting to do the same until like the last week or so. Hopefully he picks it back up too.
    I tend to do a really good job with staying balanced in prospect evaluation, but Nowgu's K's were so bad he got me, that son of a *****. He got me to crack. I know better.

I'm still high on these guys. Howard's had such a bad year statistically but I just have a feeling there's a lot of under the hood learning going on with him that just isn't showing statistically. The Cubs could have sent him to ACL...they didn't. I expect there's a reason there. It's not like they don't have Kevin Made in MB to play SS. It makes me think that they're not worried about the numbers but the progression is happening.

That's dope.

Also dope will be Alcantara joining the ACL lineup with Preciado and Caissie!

Page 48 of 77 FirstFirst ... 38464748495058 ... LastLast