Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Lionsfanfromsac View Post
    Good to know... im wondering now if we will trade out of the seven spot in favor of more pics to develop more depth via the middle rounds.
    If you aren't going qb and that elite player is not there then you always hope for a trade back. Sitting at 7 with at least 2 qbs going you should be able to get an elite talent for your defense and that may be too good to move away from Huge need + Huge Talent potential.
    2017 DRAFT GAME CHAMPION SUPREME!

But who would you pair him with?
    This is how I would do it now that you hired a young gm. If you are blowing this thing up then a young coach like Campbell or Brian Daboll from the Bills is how I would pair it up. Let them work together and rebuild this thing all of them would be under 45 and easily stay around for 10 years if they have success. With that I think you make a postion for someone like Lewis (experienced coach) to be an advisor kind of like Coughlin for the Jaguars as a mentor for both the gm, the coach, and Spielman. I don't think it has to be Marvin Lewis but going young at both spots requires someone who knows about handling trades and free agents that no top person in this group knows how to do unless you are keeping some of Quinns people on as advisors.

I could also see them asking Darrell Bevel to stay as OC due to his experience...

If you go the other way and want a veteran head coach Lewis is probably the lead to pair with a young front office knowing he is just there to set the foundation for a future coach building a team up like Caldwell did. You eventually move him to the front office and hire a successor two or three years down the road. If not Lewis than probably someone like Todd Bowles not sure what other candidates are out there but something along those lines where you have someone who has the years and wisdom to add to the youth.

Personally due to Holmes youth and his Analytics approach I would go youth and youth if I were the owner and I would give them the full 5 years even if they suck for the first two. The first year is a wash anyways since he won't have enough time to get his scouts into position and Covid has killed the college season. I expect a lot of SEC players to be drafted because he was based in the Atlanta area and that is who he covered the most from the sounds of it.
    Last edited by garnotm; 01-15-2021 at 03:43 AM.

I did see that we brought in Arthur Smith for a second interview and he's 38. I can also see the head coach if he is going to be young go the Sean McVay way and hire experience Coordinators like he did with Wade Phillips.

UPDATE: The Falcons have made an offer to Arthur Smith to be their next head coach.
    Last edited by vader817; 01-15-2021 at 09:42 AM.

2016 PSD LIONS FORUM COMEBACK POSTER OF THE YEAR

Favorite Teams
    Detroit Red Wings
    Detroit Lions Welcome to Detroit Brad Holmes and Welcome Back DCam aka The Dude. Thanks for the Memories Stafford.
    Detroit Tigers Welcome to Detroit AJ Hinch!
    North Carolina Tarheels Mens Basketball
    Florida State Seminoles Welcome to Tallahassee Mike Norvell!

Per Walterfootball

I've seen that some Detroit fans are upset about this signing because Brad Holmes has never been a general manager before. That doesn't make much sense to me because all first-time general managers were never general managers before their post. Ozzie Newsome, for example, was never a general manager before taking that job with the Ravens in 2002, and I'd say he worked out very well.

I'm strongly in favor of this hire. Brad Holmes had his work cut out for him as the college scouting director with the Rams because Los Angeles hasn't drafted in the first round since they selected Jared Goff first overall in the 2016 NFL Draft. The Goff pick wasn't Holmes' decision, but he was in charge of a team that identified many second- and third-day steals. Just look at some of picks in the past five years:

Cam Akers and Taylor Rapp (2nd round); Cooper Kupp, John Johnson and Joseph Noteboom (3rd round); John Franklin-Myers and Tyler Higbee (4th round); David Edwards and Micah Kiser (5th round); Jordan Fuller (6th round). All of these players are starters in the NFL right now. All of them! That's insane scouting.

Including Goff, the Rams have drafted 11 starters in the past five years despite having just one first-round pick in that span. The Lions did a great job of recognizing this, so I'm giving them an A+ for their hire.

2016 PSD LIONS FORUM COMEBACK POSTER OF THE YEAR

Favorite Teams
    Detroit Red Wings
    Detroit Lions Welcome to Detroit Brad Holmes and Welcome Back DCam aka The Dude. Thanks for the Memories Stafford.
    Detroit Tigers Welcome to Detroit AJ Hinch!
    North Carolina Tarheels Mens Basketball
    Florida State Seminoles Welcome to Tallahassee Mike Norvell!

I don't mind the hire. I think it is wise to get a first time guy in to try and make his stamp on the team. Apparently he uses a lot of analytics and has had great success drafting in the mid-rounds in the past 4-5 years especially. Which it wouldn't hurt to hit on multiple mid-round picks in the next 2/3 years to help rebuild the team/depth, especially on defense.

As far as coaching goes, I actually am warming up to the Marvin Lewis idea. I think he would bring a very experieneced staff with him and even if he is not the long term answer, pair him for 3/4 years to get us back to where Caldwell had us, offer him a job in the FO and hire the young coach then that can get us to the next level. But wait until the culture is already here and build on that. Don't change it completely like the Patricia hire.

I like the way we are looking so far. Even a young coach to build with wouldn't be completely awful either.

Quote Originally Posted by blujaysrock View Post
    I don't mind the hire. I think it is wise to get a first time guy in to try and make his stamp on the team. Apparently he uses a lot of analytics and has had great success drafting in the mid-rounds in the past 4-5 years especially. Which it wouldn't hurt to hit on multiple mid-round picks in the next 2/3 years to help rebuild the team/depth, especially on defense.

As far as coaching goes, I actually am warming up to the Marvin Lewis idea. I think he would bring a very experieneced staff with him and even if he is not the long term answer, pair him for 3/4 years to get us back to where Caldwell had us, offer him a job in the FO and hire the young coach then that can get us to the next level. But wait until the culture is already here and build on that. Don't change it completely like the Patricia hire.

I like the way we are looking so far. Even a young coach to build with wouldn't be completely awful either.
    I agree. At this point Id look at:
    Marvin Lewis
    Dan Campbell
    Jim Caldwell
    Jim Schwartz

As experienced head coaches, maybe keeping bevell on as OC?
    *the last two suggestions i think would make great news... a redemption story never tried before.
    Last edited by Lionsfanfromsac; 01-15-2021 at 01:13 PM.
    [img] [/img]
    ^Thanks for the memories #9^

click here to join the Lions Forum
    SE7EN time OTT Winner#1,#6,#10,#12, #14, #24 & #27
    Quote Originally Posted by GuySir View Post
    LFFS is the master at going from goofball to boss

Marvin Lewis
    Dan Campbell
    Jim Caldwell
    Jim Schwartz

*the last two suggestions i think would make great news... a redemption story never tried before.

I know nothing of campbell so who knows if he could cut, but seriously for the other 3?

Quote Originally Posted by lizardking13 View Post

I know nothing of campbell so who knows if he could cut, but seriously for the other 3?
    Lol, yes i was being serious. I think it would make a great story if one of these guys got anther shot with the Lions and ended up winning back to back Super Bowls.

It seems everywhere I read that Dan Campbell is getting a lot of buzz from our front office. I guess it makes sense. I like the fact that he played for Parcells and Coached with Payton. PLus he did fairly well with a terrible roster as a interim head coach in Miami.
    [img] [/img]
    ^Thanks for the memories #9^

click here to join the Lions Forum
    SE7EN time OTT Winner#1,#6,#10,#12, #14, #24 & #27
    Quote Originally Posted by GuySir View Post
    LFFS is the master at going from goofball to boss

Marvin Lewis
    Dan Campbell
    Jim Caldwell
    Jim Schwartz

bring in schwartz as hc, caldwell as oc, lewis as DC

who says no ?

Quote Originally Posted by rocket View Post
    bring in schwartz as hc, caldwell as oc, lewis as DC

who says no ?
    Lets change it up a bit and let Schwartz run the offense...

Quote Originally Posted by garnotm View Post
    Lets change it up a bit and let Schwartz run the offense...
    tru

Lol, yes i was being serious. I think it would make a great story if one of these guys got anther shot with the Lions and ended up winning back to back Super Bowls.

It seems everywhere I read that Dan Campbell is getting a lot of buzz from our front office. I guess it makes sense. I like the fact that he played for Parcells and Coached with Payton. PLus he did fairly well with a terrible roster as a interim head coach in Miami.
    Maybe it's a smokescreen.

Maybe it's a smokescreen.
    I think he is the choice.

My anger with the potential of Campbell has toned down a bit..but still. If his whole thing is be tough, run the ball, then I don't have high hopes.

My anger with the potential of Campbell has toned down a bit..but still. If his whole thing is be tough, run the ball, then I don't have high hopes.
    Like I get the big play appeal but you still need to be able to control the clock at the end of the game. You also need to give your defense a rest so they can hold up through the game and that does require being able to run the ball...maybe not run the ball like they did in the 90's but you still have to control the tempo and being good at running the running game is a great way to do that.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast