Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

What the Steelers need to do

If Big Ben is truly gone after this season, where do the Steelers go from here as an organization? Who do you have there as a successor to Big Ben?

Or do the Steelers tank in their life after Big Ben in a full on rebuild?

Pretty easy. Iíd bite the bullet on 2021ís cap. Even if itís $198mil (like rumored) Iíd not pay anyone anything big. Let guys like Bud, AV, Conner, Juju (unless he takes a massive under market deal) all walk. Hopefully Pouncey and Ben retire. Cut Joe Haden to retain Sutton and Hilton.

The deals Bud, AV, and Juju will get will give us 2-3 high compensation picks in 2022. Getting a TJ Watt extension done will impact the 2022 cap some, but we only have $55mil in committed contracts that year anyways.

In 2021 draft I look at the line. Get a LT, OC, RG (DDC is getting older). Mix in a RB in rd 2. If you hit on the right players you built a different core. Mason Rudolph being the 2021 QB is 7-9 at best, Iíd hope for 6-10 and a top 10 pick.

2022 would be a big offseason. FAs like Mike Williams, Marshon Lattimore, Adoreeí Jackson, Nick Chubb, Sam Hubbard. High pick to take someone like Kedon Slovis (QB USC), Tyler Shough (QB Oregon) if we donít do something like get Trask in 2021. If we take Trask in 2021 I could see taking Stingley (CB LSU), Justyn Ross (WR Clemson).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All of that being said, one think I wouldn't put past them if the Jets take Fields is to call them up and try to get an undervalue trade on Sam Darnold. Maybe a 2021 3rd, conditional 2022 pick on playing time or dressed weeks or something like that.

I mean, Ben should retire. $19mil comes off the books with that, another $8mil comes off with Pouncey retiring. Those two things put us under the cap and gives us the financial flexibility to bring in Darnolds $5mil 2021 cap hit. Get Darrisaw (VT LT), Cosmi (Texas LT), Harris (Bama RB) in round 1. Then turn around and get Eichenberg (LT ND), Vincent Jr (CB LSU), Bolton (Mizzu LB), Hubbard (RB OkSt).

Trading for Darnold would give us far more flexibility going into 2022 in terms of moves.

So if this is the route, 2021 Steelers:
    QB - Darnold
    RB - Harris
    WR - Juju*, Johnson, Claypool, Washington, McCloud
    TE - FA signing
    OL - Eichenberg/Dodson/rookie-FA/DDC/Okorafor - Swing Tackle: Banner*

DL - Hayward/Alualu*/Tuitt
    LB - Highsmith/Bush/Spillaine/Watt - rotational: Williams/Allen
    CB - Nelson, Sutton*, Hilton*, Layne, Pierre
    S - Fitzpatrick, Edmunds, Brooks, Dangerfield

Today just get better and better.

https://twitter.com/gerrydulac/statu...165396481?s=21

[Pelissero] The #Steelers are parting ways with OC Randy Fichtner, source said. His contract won't be renewed.
    Dak: 17,634 @ 66.0%, 7.7 per att, 106+24 TD, 40 INT+34 FMB, 97.3 Rate
    Wentz: 16,811 @ 62.7%, 6.7 per att, 113+8 TD, 50 INT+58 FMB, 89.2 Rate

Quote Originally Posted by BDawk4Prez View Post
    I'll leave PSD if Foles isn't the starter in Jax (or elsewhere) next year.
    Quote Originally Posted by BDawk4Prez View Post
    Sticking to traditions:

IF Wentz is a Philadelphia Eagle in 2021, he will be the starter. If not, bye bye PSD, I'll leave.
    "Hater" is a term used by weak minded people in the face of legitimate criticism.
    -Scott van Pelt

Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    Today just get better and better.

https://twitter.com/gerrydulac/statu...165396481?s=21

If they are looking for an OL coach they should seriously consider Marc Colombo. He was the one coach I didnít want to see leave when they fired Garrett. He was doing a great job with the Cowboys OL. His style fits what the Steelers like to traditionally do.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post
    If they are looking for an OL coach they should seriously consider Marc Colombo. He was the one coach I didnít want to see leave when they fired Garrett. He was doing a great job with the Cowboys OL. His style fits what the Steelers like to traditionally do.

Wouldnít mind him. I think they might have the retirement conversation with Ben before going too far in on replacing this staff though.

Our TE coach just retired, QB coach sounds like a leading candidate for the Miami OC job. Sounds like interest in Jim Caldwell, Doug Pederson, and a few other former HCs for OC are the likely direction.

Maybe stop drafting diva, crybaby WRs.
    The Baker has come. Believe the hype.

Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    Our TE coach just retired, QB coach sounds like a leading candidate for the Miami OC job. Sounds like interest in Jim Caldwell, Doug Pederson, and a few other former HCs for OC are the likely direction.
    Last I heard Pederson is leaning towards taking a year off, which I don't blame him. Go on a year long holiday with Lurie's money.

https://twitter.com/aroundthenfl/sta...874451456?s=21

Live look at war:

Quote Originally Posted by QB_Eagles View Post
    Live look at war:

Pretty much. Like oh good heís having fun again. Your arm is still shot. If he takes a pay cut to retain Juju then Iím fine, mostly because the yinzer fans hate Juju because he has the audacity to do something outside of football (they hate Claypool too).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast