Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 44
  1. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    13,870
    Quote Originally Posted by Posada20 View Post
    They have way more than enough talent to get Castillo or Hendricks , especially Hendricks . Hendricks is due 14 mill , the Yankees can easily afford to trade for Hendricks and sign kluber for less than the 30 mill they have available .
    Only if they don't sign DJ. Which made more sense in the Lindor / Carrasco deal.
    "Dante once said that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality,” JFK 1963.
    "Fight for the things that you care about, but do it in a way that will lead others to join you." - Ruth Bader Ginsburg
    "Not everything that counts can be counted and not everything that can be counted counts."--- Einstein
    “Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced.”---- James Baldwin




  2. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    5,164
    Quote Originally Posted by drt1010 View Post
    Only if they don't sign DJ. Which made more sense in the Lindor / Carrasco deal.
    And I am saying they should have walked away from him after he turned down their last offer . Move on already and deal with a more pressing issue , the starting rotation

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    3,168
    Quote Originally Posted by Posada20 View Post
    And I am saying they should have walked away from him after he turned down their last offer . Move on already and deal with a more pressing issue , the starting rotation
    don't forget the bullpen other than britton the yankee bullpen is hit and miss and that goes for chapman

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    1,104
    Quote Originally Posted by Posada20 View Post
    A new GM would bring a new set of eyes to the situation . Maybe one that knows more about pitching than cashman does . You say cashman shoulders some of the blame but you want to keep giving him 5 year contracts . Tell me how that makes any sense ? I told you why a new GM would be a good idea . Now why don’t do you tell me why it is such a great idea to keep cashman for another 5 years . The Red Sox got a new gm that knows how to work with budget constraints . Why shouldn’t the Yankees do the same ? Give me one good reason why a New GM isnt the way to go ? You say it is incumbent on him to find the best deal , yet he hasn’t even made a deal for a major leaguer in almost 2 years , tell me how that is excusable ? Did Hal tell cashman no more trades until the payroll is under 150 mill?
    Sadly, your argument (though having some validity) is irrelevant... When Have we *****ed about brian the most... Passing on Max Scherzer comes to mind.. Oh, that was Hal who put down the edict of no big signings because of the year prior... Verlander... sadly, this could be on both of the... Justin looked spent in Detroit and I highly doubt that Brian wanted to touch him.. but Hal was not going to open up the check book either... He suddenly found the fountain of youth in Houston...

    The reality is.... If you're the GM in NY... you're going to get blamed for things that are out of your control... because the Stienbrenner family will have some say and you'll get blamed for their decisions as much as your own...

    Brian has done a ton of good too.. and to deny that is foolish... he fought hard to rebuild the farmsystem that George traded every top 30 guy we ever had away and the ones he didn't were the ones that failed.

    The reality of the situation is this.. the problems you complain about... exist on every team.. because sadly, if you find a GM with the perfect record... you're playing a video game... trades that other teams did... You can't blame our GM... sometimes those trades happen before you even realize you had a shot... team A comes to team B and says here's my offer.. Team B likes it and says deal... Can't blame the GM for team C for not matching a deal when it was done before they even knew it (and probably heard about it the same way we did... media)

    Lindor may sign an extention.. but something tells me, it would have to be big or he's not going to.. We'll have to see... but one thing that's clear right now.. the way the luxury tax works.. Hal won't go over every year anymore.. wants to reset the penalties every 3rd/4th year. If that's the case, I don't care who you have as a GM, their hands are tied...

    Oh, and you aught to live in other teams media areas... You'd be amazed at how HATED the Yankees are for the spending they do. Not to mention the work of the GM's for some of them appear to be in a constant rebuild... Moving out of the area gives you a new appreciation for Brian Cashman... Yes he fails.. but way less often than many others do.. way less often. Sadly for the others.. they don't have the NYY budget to spend their way out of a mistake... for them, the Stanton deal would preclude them from signing ANYONE for a decade...

    Now, I don't know whose idea it was to Let Joe Girardi go and hire Aaron "boneheaded" Boone... but that guy needs a labotomy.. and if it was ALL brian.. that's enough that he needs to go. Because right now.. the Yanks are winning in spite of their manager.. not because of..
    Last edited by evilemplover; 01-15-2021 at 07:31 PM.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    13,870
    Quote Originally Posted by evilemplover View Post
    .....Now, I don't know whose idea it was to Let Joe Girardi go and hire Aaron "boneheaded" Boone... but that guy needs a labotomy.. and if it was ALL brian.. that's enough that he needs to go. Because right now.. the Yanks are winning in spite of their manager.. not because of..
    Truth is he was given one PRIOR to getting the job.

    Agree completely with all posted.
    "Dante once said that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality,” JFK 1963.
    "Fight for the things that you care about, but do it in a way that will lead others to join you." - Ruth Bader Ginsburg
    "Not everything that counts can be counted and not everything that can be counted counts."--- Einstein
    “Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced.”---- James Baldwin




  6. #21
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    7,826
    I think the trades for urshela, voit, frazier and torres were pivotal to this team. Then you have guys like judge, severino, andujar, german and gary coming up from the farm. I give cashman a lot of credit for those trades and developing all those prospects. The problem is and still remains his inability to judge pitching talent, whether it's keeping it, signing it, trading for it, or letting it go at the right time. Cashman simply doesn't haven't a clue. That is what is holding back this team.

    I know some ppl will blame cashman for not pulling the trigger on trades but when you know teams are actively trying to rip this team off what do you do?

    Quote Originally Posted by drt1010 View Post
    Imo there is enough blame to go around. I will restrict my comments to more recent history.

    Hal should be praised for always managing to keep the Yankees payroll at or near the top in MLB. Always trying to put a competitive product on the field. However he is also responsible for ushering in the austerity plan and the quest to get under the salary cap. That in itself prevented the Yankees from even making an offer for Verlander in 2017-18. We will never know what Verlander may have done for Yankees, however one can assume had he performed for Yanks as he had for Houston they may be another ring or two in their showcase.

    Cashman has made smart moves and also colossal blunders. He traded for Urshela and Torres, signed LeMahieu, drafted Judge and helped rebuild the farm system. The biggest blunder was not giving up Frazier and Andujar for Cole back in 2017. Not even sitting down and discussing Lindor and Carrasco is a close second. You could add the paltry offer for Corbin to the list, he pointed the finger at Hal and the budgetary constraint. The jury is still out on the Stanton deal, but it appears the contract hamstrung them this off season.
    Not trading Frazier, Andujar plus prospects for Cole is highly debatable. At the time Cole was not the same pitcher he is now. Who knows how he would have developed here. I can almost guarantee he would have been let go after 2 seasons for not being able to adapt to Rothschild's style. At the same time, an argument can be made that if the yankees had traded for Verlander and Cole, at the very least that would have prevented houston from getting them.

    Imo, the biggest blunder was not signing Morton and going with Happ instead. This was a clear no brainer, no matter how you want to look at it, although few ppl actually wanted Morton here.

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Tacoma, Wa
    Posts
    9,640
    Quote Originally Posted by evilemplover View Post
    Sadly, your argument (though having some validity) is irrelevant... When Have we *****ed about brian the most... Passing on Max Scherzer comes to mind.. Oh, that was Hal who put down the edict of no big signings because of the year prior... Verlander... sadly, this could be on both of the... Justin looked spent in Detroit and I highly doubt that Brian wanted to touch him.. but Hal was not going to open up the check book either... He suddenly found the fountain of youth in Houston...

    The reality is.... If you're the GM in NY... you're going to get blamed for things that are out of your control... because the Stienbrenner family will have some say and you'll get blamed for their decisions as much as your own...

    Brian has done a ton of good too.. and to deny that is foolish... he fought hard to rebuild the farmsystem that George traded every top 30 guy we ever had away and the ones he didn't were the ones that failed.

    The reality of the situation is this.. the problems you complain about... exist on every team.. because sadly, if you find a GM with the perfect record... you're playing a video game... trades that other teams did... You can't blame our GM... sometimes those trades happen before you even realize you had a shot... team A comes to team B and says here's my offer.. Team B likes it and says deal... Can't blame the GM for team C for not matching a deal when it was done before they even knew it (and probably heard about it the same way we did... media)

    Lindor may sign an extention.. but something tells me, it would have to be big or he's not going to.. We'll have to see... but one thing that's clear right now.. the way the luxury tax works.. Hal won't go over every year anymore.. wants to reset the penalties every 3rd/4th year. If that's the case, I don't care who you have as a GM, their hands are tied...

    Oh, and you aught to live in other teams media areas... You'd be amazed at how HATED the Yankees are for the spending they do. Not to mention the work of the GM's for some of them appear to be in a constant rebuild... Moving out of the area gives you a new appreciation for Brian Cashman... Yes he fails.. but way less often than many others do.. way less often. Sadly for the others.. they don't have the NYY budget to spend their way out of a mistake... for them, the Stanton deal would preclude them from signing ANYONE for a decade...

    Now, I don't know whose idea it was to Let Joe Girardi go and hire Aaron "boneheaded" Boone... but that guy needs a labotomy.. and if it was ALL brian.. that's enough that he needs to go. Because right now.. the Yanks are winning in spite of their manager.. not because of..
    Excellent, excellent post my man, well said.

    as far as Lindor goes, he signed a 1yr deal today not an extension so i'm still going to hold out some hope. That said i'm sure the Mets are going to make him a massive offer, unless the Mets offer 10yrs350m or something like that, he probably gets a bigger deal if he tests the market. Hopefully he want to play on the same team as his best friend, Gio, not just in the same city

    Bonehead was mostly on Cashman. He wanted someone who could communicate better with millenials, specifically Sanchez, because Cashman thought Girardi was to hard on him/them. That worked out just how he hoped, huh? I have a hard time believing they will win a WS with Boone as the manager, maybe if they get a really strong bench coach ?? the guy i would love to see them develop into a manager is Kratz. Catcher, like Girardi, always seem to make the best managers. Kratz had great success working with the young pitcher last yr and any catcher that can still get a MLB job at close to 40 has to have some incredible knowledge and experience that he could pass on

    Unless they win it all this yr or at very minimum get to the WS i think Cash should go, i think a new voice and set of eyes would help alot. While Cash did a great job of finding and putting this current core together, IMO he's done an equally as poor of a job trying to get those last pieces to put us over the top. Stanton fail, Paxton fail, Gray fail, Happ fail, not signing Corbin in favor of Happ huge fail... missing on Lindor and Carrasco huge, huge fail. passing on Hader for Andujar straight up fail, letting Verlander and Cole go to Houston within 6 months of each other fail, not signing Keuchal when we could have gotten him cheap mid 19 season fail ... Bringing in DJ wasn't really his idea and Cole was a no brainer and it was Hal and Pettite that closed that deal

    He's absolutely had some successes like Voit, Gio, Hicks, Britton, Kahnle, Talkman. They have done a much better job of finding, signing/drafting and developing talent the last few yrs but we have yet to see it at the MLB level so far but i expect we will start to see that this yr.

    Unfortunately even if they don't win i would expect Hal to atleast keep giving Cashman chances till this core ages out in the next 2-3yrs. If they don't win by the time Judge is set to become a FA, which is about the time this cores window will have likely closed then its for sure time to find a new GM

    Cashman seem to run the business part of being a team pres/GM very well, its the MLB talent evaluation, acquisition and team development that i question.

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    1,104
    Quote Originally Posted by dayners81 View Post
    Excellent, excellent post my man, well said.

    as far as Lindor goes, he signed a 1yr deal today not an extension so i'm still going to hold out some hope. That said i'm sure the Mets are going to make him a massive offer, unless the Mets offer 10yrs350m or something like that, he probably gets a bigger deal if he tests the market. Hopefully he want to play on the same team as his best friend, Gio, not just in the same city

    Bonehead was mostly on Cashman. He wanted someone who could communicate better with millenials, specifically Sanchez, because Cashman thought Girardi was to hard on him/them. That worked out just how he hoped, huh? I have a hard time believing they will win a WS with Boone as the manager, maybe if they get a really strong bench coach ?? the guy i would love to see them develop into a manager is Kratz. Catcher, like Girardi, always seem to make the best managers. Kratz had great success working with the young pitcher last yr and any catcher that can still get a MLB job at close to 40 has to have some incredible knowledge and experience that he could pass on

    Unless they win it all this yr or at very minimum get to the WS i think Cash should go, i think a new voice and set of eyes would help alot. While Cash did a great job of finding and putting this current core together, IMO he's done an equally as poor of a job trying to get those last pieces to put us over the top. Stanton fail, Paxton fail, Gray fail, Happ fail, not signing Corbin in favor of Happ huge fail... missing on Lindor and Carrasco huge, huge fail. passing on Hader for Andujar straight up fail, letting Verlander and Cole go to Houston within 6 months of each other fail, not signing Keuchal when we could have gotten him cheap mid 19 season fail ... Bringing in DJ wasn't really his idea and Cole was a no brainer and it was Hal and Pettite that closed that deal

    He's absolutely had some successes like Voit, Gio, Hicks, Britton, Kahnle, Talkman. They have done a much better job of finding, signing/drafting and developing talent the last few yrs but we have yet to see it at the MLB level so far but i expect we will start to see that this yr.

    Unfortunately even if they don't win i would expect Hal to atleast keep giving Cashman chances till this core ages out in the next 2-3yrs. If they don't win by the time Judge is set to become a FA, which is about the time this cores window will have likely closed then its for sure time to find a new GM

    Cashman seem to run the business part of being a team pres/GM very well, its the MLB talent evaluation, acquisition and team development that i question.
    what I find odd... the only people I ever heard complain about communications with Joe.. was the FO... The players all loved him...

    And worse.. Gary has not been the same since...

    Joe was given garbage for years (back in 2012 and so) and he still had this team in the playoff hunt in September... they may have missed.. but they were in the hunt... some of those guys (Vernon Wells.. etc) should have been left alone.. but Joe got mileage out of them... I know that the FO was building the farm and didn't want to give up the specs for those years (and we are feeling that plan now) but we had not business being even close to .500 a few of those years..

    Boone can't handle a bullpen to save his life..

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Posts
    37,059
    Quote Originally Posted by evilemplover View Post
    what I find odd... the only people I ever heard complain about communications with Joe.. was the FO... The players all loved him...

    And worse.. Gary has not been the same since...


    Joe was given garbage for years (back in 2012 and so) and he still had this team in the playoff hunt in September... they may have missed.. but they were in the hunt... some of those guys (Vernon Wells.. etc) should have been left alone.. but Joe got mileage out of them... I know that the FO was building the farm and didn't want to give up the specs for those years (and we are feeling that plan now) but we had not business being even close to .500 a few of those years..

    Boone can't handle a bullpen to save his life..
    So true and such a bummer.

    Boone is bad and will be here for 10 years is Cashman has his hopes come true. That means 10 years of making the post season without a ring.

    I am very glad they brought back DJ but even after Kluber, the Yankees have not done anything to set themselves up for a true run.
    They are gambling on Sevy and German. If those two are truly what we saw? They win the gamble.
    They go from a "meh" pitching staff to a young staff anchored by Cole.



    Ignorance is bliss

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    3,168
    cashman has been a disaster when it comes to developing proven starting pitching..

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Bronx, NY
    Posts
    14,530
    I need a whole week to assess Cashman. I've been around here in PSD since 2005ish and Cashman has always been in the heart of many debates here. Maybe someday I will have the guts to give a fair and full assessment of Cashman and the Yankees FO since 2001 to now.

    To resume it I just find too many inconsistencies in the strategy put in place, but I guess the ownership is as much at fault as Cashman himself. so it is kinda foggy to know who is really responsible and who has the real call on what moves the Yankees make.

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Bronx, NY
    Posts
    14,530
    But to be fair to Cash he has been much better as far as making trades and not holding on to prospects for too long since that infamous Jesus Montero for Michael Pineda trade. I just wish he did it earlier for more established stars in the past.

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The Barren, Desolate Wastes of Angband
    Posts
    6,191
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinkotheclown View Post
    Cashman has made some very good moves. Trading Chapman and Miller were very smart and the haul was great.
    Aside from that, he's been arse.
    DJ- He didn't wan't him and had to be convinced
    Cole- He was removed from the picture for that one, so he had little to nothing to do with it.
    Stanton- All him and it will be worse than Elsbury This team is screwed with Stanton,
    Happ- The first time was a good move. Bringing him back? Meh. he went to the well once to often. I think it was lazy but I get why he did it.
    Boone- Bad

    I am fine with holding prospects if they can actually get to the bigs and aren't blocked by guys who are "too big of a name" to trade or have such a stupid contract that they can't be traded.
    The above issue is especially true if that player could have net you a piece that would upgrade.


    I think Cashman stinks. I think with the market he runs, he stinks. I think he's trying to be Beane East.

    If the Yankees are "All about Championships", Cashman needs to be the same. He clearly has not been.
    He has not done what is needed to upgrade the team and has let them fall behind other teams or come close to falling behind them.
    This roster isn't old yet but it will get old, fast and the 3 big components, Judge, Hicks, Stanton are walking infirmaries.

    Gary, who Cashman still believes in, has a long road ahead of him for redemption.
    Torres is at best a decent SS and as of now, Wade is our 2nd basemen, so that all important up the middle D? It is subpar.

    So when I look at the current roster, they are weak up the middle and they have no pitching.
    Cashman has done nothing to improve either. But we have guys with great launch angles and exit velocity who can crush the ball and take a walk. When they are actually healthy, of course and when they are on a good streak, of course.

    Cashman is responsible for a very poorly constructed roster that consists of all righties, aside from Hicks, 4 of whom are all or nothing.

    Again, if that lineup clicks and stays healthy, this team is extremely tough to bet in the regular season and will waltz into the playoffs.
    Also, there could still be moves made that sure up the aspects to which I referred.
    But as of January 14th, 2021, Cashman still stinks.
    THE EMPIRE IS BACK BABY!!!!!!!!




  14. #29
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    13,870
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinkotheclown View Post
    Cashman has made some very good moves. Trading Chapman and Miller were very smart and the haul was great.
    Aside from that, he's been arse.
    DJ- He didn't wan't him and had to be convinced
    Cole- He was removed from the picture for that one, so he had little to nothing to do with it.
    Stanton- All him and it will be worse than Elsbury This team is screwed with Stanton,
    Happ- The first time was a good move. Bringing him back? Meh. he went to the well once to often. I think it was lazy but I get why he did it.
    Boone- Bad

    I am fine with holding prospects if they can actually get to the bigs and aren't blocked by guys who are "too big of a name" to trade or have such a stupid contract that they can't be traded.
    The above issue is especially true if that player could have net you a piece that would upgrade.


    I think Cashman stinks. I think with the market he runs, he stinks. I think he's trying to be Beane East.

    If the Yankees are "All about Championships", Cashman needs to be the same. He clearly has not been.
    He has not done what is needed to upgrade the team and has let them fall behind other teams or come close to falling behind them.
    This roster isn't old yet but it will get old, fast and the 3 big components, Judge, Hicks, Stanton are walking infirmaries.

    Gary, who Cashman still believes in, has a long road ahead of him for redemption.
    Torres is at best a decent SS and as of now, Wade is our 2nd basemen, so that all important up the middle D? It is subpar.

    So when I look at the current roster, they are weak up the middle and they have no pitching.
    Cashman has done nothing to improve either. But we have guys with great launch angles and exit velocity who can crush the ball and take a walk. When they are actually healthy, of course and when they are on a good streak, of course.

    Cashman is responsible for a very poorly constructed roster that consists of all righties, aside from Hicks, 4 of whom are all or nothing.

    Again, if that lineup clicks and stays healthy, this team is extremely tough to bet in the regular season and will waltz into the playoffs.
    Also, there could still be moves made that sure up the aspects to which I referred.
    But as of January 14th, 2021, Cashman still stinks.
    2B signed 6 years ----- check

    rotation help, two time Cy Young winner, 1 year deal----- check

    All arb eligible players signed, avoiding arb----- check.
    "Dante once said that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality,” JFK 1963.
    "Fight for the things that you care about, but do it in a way that will lead others to join you." - Ruth Bader Ginsburg
    "Not everything that counts can be counted and not everything that can be counted counts."--- Einstein
    “Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced.”---- James Baldwin




  15. #30
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    13,870
    Just came to mind. Maybe the biggest blunder of Cashman's career was the Pettitte fiasco in 2003. Focusing on Gary Sheffield (George's call) and allowing Andy to walk in FA. With Pettitte on the 2004 roster, imo the Yankees would’ve won the 2004 ALCS in six games and cruised past the Cardinals in the World Series. There is simply no way the Yankees lose four games in a row with Petttite on the roster instead of Vasquez or Brown. 2005 and 2006 water over the damn, however hard to argue Pettitte wouldn't have made some difference in the post season quest for another ring.
    "Dante once said that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality,” JFK 1963.
    "Fight for the things that you care about, but do it in a way that will lead others to join you." - Ruth Bader Ginsburg
    "Not everything that counts can be counted and not everything that can be counted counts."--- Einstein
    “Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced.”---- James Baldwin




Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •