Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 46 of 71 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by smith&wesson View Post
    Donít put too much hope in Wall. Heís a nice piece, but even in his all star form he never really lead his teams anywhere, and that was in a weaker conference. I think the league belongs to 4 teams right now. Lakers/Clippers & Bucks/Nets. We should be aiming to build IMO. But thereís no right or wrong answer here, I think we have to trust Stone at this point and see what he does.
    I'm not sold the Clippers are there.

The East belongs to the Bucks and Nets. Thatís how it impacts the 6ers and the rest of the conference lol...
    This is why the NBA sucks compared to NFL/NHL IMO. We shouldn't be thinking that for the next 2-3 years an entire conference is decided and there's no way to upend that.

Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    This is why the NBA sucks compared to NFL/NHL IMO. We shouldn't be thinking that for the next 2-3 years an entire conference is decided and there's no way to upend that.
    Mmm... I don't know that I necessarily feel that way about the NBA anymore. There are certainly teams you might call "super teams" in this era of the NBA, but it's not like the Curry/Durant Warriors, Shaq/Kobe Lakers, MJ's Bulls era where you felt like the season's end was a foregone conclusion before it ever started.

Last year would anyone have predicted that Miami would have been in the Finals, pushing the Lakers to 6 games? Hell no. There's probably 5-6 teams in the East who I could genuinely see make the Finals and wouldn't be shocked by. In the West, it's probably going to be an LA team, but Lebron is 36 years old, so he won't be around forever.

I actually think this is the most parity we've had in the NBA since the period between the Shaq/Kobe Lakers and Lebron joining the Heat. And there's more talent in the league today then there was then, so there are fewer terrible teams and more competitive ones.

Quote Originally Posted by mightybosstone View Post
    Mmm... I don't know that I necessarily feel that way about the NBA anymore. There are certainly teams you might call "super teams" in this era of the NBA, but it's not like the Curry/Durant Warriors, Shaq/Kobe Lakers, MJ's Bulls era where you felt like the season's end was a foregone conclusion before it ever started.

Last year would anyone have predicted that Miami would have been in the Finals, pushing the Lakers to 6 games? Hell no. There's probably 5-6 teams in the East who I could genuinely see make the Finals and wouldn't be shocked by. In the West, it's probably going to be an LA team, but Lebron is 36 years old, so he won't be around forever.

I actually think this is the most parity we've had in the NBA since the period between the Shaq/Kobe Lakers and Lebron joining the Heat. And there's more talent in the league today then there was then, so there are fewer terrible teams and more competitive ones.
    Last years Heat are an exception than the rule and as time goes on the bubble is gonna be more and more of a fluke. To get another seed outside the top 4 you have to go back 20 years. Only 7 times was it not the 1 or 2 seed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last years Heat are an exception than the rule and as time goes on the bubble is gonna be more and more of a fluke. To get another seed outside the top 4 you have to go back 20 years. Only 7 times was it not the 1 or 2 seed.

Right. But I'm not talking about teams winning it all out of the top 8. To me, if a team wins a championship that wasn't considered one of the eight best going into the start of the postseason, that's a massive underdog in any professional sport.

I'm talking about the fact that right now we could pencil in any of 5-7 teams as possible champions rather than just 1-2 teams, which has been the norm more often than not really since the Lakers/Celtics teams of the 80s. That Warriors dynasty was just frustrating to watch as a fan, because you felt like the whole season was pointless before a single game ever tipped off, and the Finals and eventual champion was already a foregone conclusion.

At least now there's legitimate question marks and no one team dominates the NBA landscape. The regular season and playoffs actually feel like they matter.

Right. But I'm not talking about teams winning it all out of the top 8. To me, if a team wins a championship that wasn't considered one of the eight best going into the start of the postseason, that's a massive underdog in any professional sport.

I'm talking about the fact that right now we could pencil in any of 5-7 teams as possible champions rather than just 1-2 teams, which has been the norm more often than not really since the Lakers/Celtics teams of the 80s. That Warriors dynasty was just frustrating to watch as a fan, because you felt like the whole season was pointless before a single game ever tipped off, and the Finals and eventual champion was already a foregone conclusion.

At least now there's legitimate question marks and no one team dominates the NBA landscape. The regular season and playoffs actually feel like they matter.
    Well I disagree on that 5-7 thing, itís more like 3-4. Also thatís an outside the top 8 to make the finals. NBA has by far the highest 1/2 seeds in their championship game/series by percent than any other league in their modern era.

Well I disagree on that 5-7 thing, itís more like 3-4.
    We can agree to disagree on this then. Until the Bucks and Nets run away with the East, that conference still feels pretty damn open with Boston and Philly still being damn good. And we know Miami won't be this terrible all season long.

Also thatís an outside the top 8 to make the finals. NBA has by far the highest 1/2 seeds in their championship game/series by percent than any other league in their modern era.

I'm aware (the 95 Rockets are one of those weird exceptions, so most Rockets fans love talking about it). My point still stands that a team outside the top 8 even making the finals should be considered a surprise in most professional sports barring some unusual circumstances like injury or late season acquisitions.

I agree to the extent that the NBA is more pre-ordained than pretty much every other professional sport and the top teams usually end up in the Finals. I'm not debating that. I'm just saying the league is far more wide open than it's traditionally been over the last 30-40 years and certainly than it has been in the last decade.

We can agree to disagree on this then. Until the Bucks and Nets run away with the East, that conference still feels pretty damn open with Boston and Philly still being damn good. And we know Miami won't be this terrible all season long.

I'm aware (the 95 Rockets are one of those weird exceptions, so most Rockets fans love talking about it). My point still stands that a team outside the top 8 even making the finals should be considered a surprise in most professional sports barring some unusual circumstances like injury or late season acquisitions.

I agree to the extent that the NBA is more pre-ordained than pretty much every other professional sport and the top teams usually end up in the Finals. I'm not debating that. I'm just saying the league is far more wide open than it's traditionally been over the last 30-40 years and certainly than it has been in the last decade.
    In the East, the only thing really in the Nets way is the Nets.

You of all people know how good Harden is, add Durant. Then if you get the buy in from Kyrie? Itís really lights out bro.

I give the Bucks a chance simply because of Giannis but Iím not sure he even has much of a chance tbh. Itís gonna be a Lakers and Nets finals. The Bucks and Clippers are actually dark horses as I see the as the only teams that can stop them.

If you had to bet 100k right now and pick one team from each conference to get to the finals whoís it going to be?

I agree that it was an extreme exception but Iím going to credit the Heat and not the bubble. Player movement and teaming up have created a situation where it rare to see teams so well coached they win with less talent by being together making the right simple play over and over.

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

You of all people know how good Harden is, add Durant. Then if you get the buy in from Kyrie? Itís really lights out bro.

I give the Bucks a chance simply because of Giannis but Iím not sure he even has much of a chance tbh. Itís gonna be a Lakers and Nets finals. The Bucks and Clippers are actually dark horses as I see the as the only teams that can stop them.

If you had to bet 100k right now and pick one team from each conference to get to the finals whoís it going to be?
    Lakers vs Celtics, history!

Quote Originally Posted by cattusmaru View Post
    Lakers vs Celtics, history!
    By no means am I saying that the Celtics or the 6ers are not good teams. They are both really good teams. I just donít think theyíll have a chance in hell to contain Durant in the playoffs, and when you add Harden, Kyrie, Harris, Dinwiddie, Jordan, Shamet, Green.. its over before it starts.

Stars are not enough to make a team. That Nets team is not there yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    Stars are not enough to make a team. That Nets team is not there yet.
    Bro, paper champs already!

I would bet on the Nets to come out of the East, gun to my head. But I don't think it's the slam dunk you're making it sound like. If you look at the other super teams of recent years, more of those teams were balanced between front court and back court players and between guys who needed the ball and could play off ball.

Having three elite ball dominant wings/guards will be interesting. But I want to see how Harden and Kyrie coexist and how their super thin front court performs. Their lack of size is a legitimate weakness right now. Do I think the overall talent is enough to overcome that weakness? Yes. But I could easily see a series against a team with superior size and front court depth going poorly for them.

If I had to put odds on who comes out of the East, it would probably look like:
    Brooklyn: 45%
    Milwaukee: 30%
    Boston: 10%
    Philly: 8%
    Miami: >7%
    The rest: >1%

I would bet on the Nets to come out of the East, gun to my head. But I don't think it's the slam dunk you're making it sound like. If you look at the other super teams of recent years, more of those teams were balanced between front court and back court players and between guys who needed the ball and could play off ball.

Having three elite ball dominant wings/guards will be interesting. But I want to see how Harden and Kyrie coexist and how their super thin front court performs. Their lack of size is a legitimate weakness right now. Do I think the overall talent is enough to overcome that weakness? Yes. But I could easily see a series against a team with superior size and front court depth going poorly for them.

If I had to put odds on who comes out of the East, it would probably look like:
    Brooklyn: 45%
    Milwaukee: 30%
    Boston: 10%
    Philly: 8%
    Miami: >7%
    The rest: >1%
    Where did you come up with these percentages? [emoji23][emoji848]

Page 46 of 71 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast