Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    This team has cup potential. We need to move JVR and Ghost ... pick up defensive depth and promote Frost ...

Maybe ghost +1st to Florida for Juulsen ... juulsen has under performed significantly and is a right shot ...
    Last edited by castan_b; 01-14-2021 at 07:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by castan_b View Post
    This team has cup potential. We need to move JVR and Ghost ... pick up defensive depth and promote Frost ...

Maybe ghost +1st to Florida for Juulsen ... juulsen has under performed significantly and is a right shot ...
    I doubt the Flyers are overly interested in moving assets to acquire young defensemen right now. I'd say Cam York may be ready by 2022, Zamula may be ready later this year...I think this is generally what wer're rolling with sans an injury.

I'd like to see the team give an earnest look back on Ghost, though, as I think if he can right the ship, it'd be a nice internal boost. Right now I understand why he can't be in the lineup. Just in general and going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    I doubt the Flyers are overly interested in moving assets to acquire young defensemen right now. I'd say Cam York may be ready by 2022, Zamula may be ready later this year...I think this is generally what wer're rolling with sans an injury.

I'd like to see the team give an earnest look back on Ghost, though, as I think if he can right the ship, it'd be a nice internal boost. Right now I understand why he can't be in the lineup. Just in general and going forward.
    The optimal lineup would have Ghost on that top pairing with Provorov and have Braun, Hagg, Gus, and Zamula battle for 3rd pairing minutes. Ideally we would have someone step up between those guys. Braun was obviously the worst player on the ice last night. He was constantly getting beat to his outside by the sheer speed of the opposition.

Flyers played a really good game last night....there were quite a few times they were pinned in their own zone by the Penguins....and probably could've avoided most of that by just hitting. This team does not hit. If you want to slow another team down from cycling in your zone at even strength someone will eventually have to hit the guy with the puck to slow them down....

Well its only one game but a few observations.

Line 1: they played good sound hockey. Couts isn't in midseason form yet, but the kids beside him look poised to pick off where this line let off last season.

Line 2: This lines going to be high event. Nifty passing plays will lead to lots of scoring chance both ways. I'm excited. They're going to be fun.

Line 3: ugh JVR at 5on5 is just irritating to watch. Jake was skating well, Nolan and him seem to have chem offensively. This line will give up goals, hopefully they score just as much.

Line 4. As advertised. A fourth line you can use to eat tough shifts and give opposing teams hell.

D Pair 1: Provy is still Provy. Braun isn't going to work against this level of competition. Revolving door likely here until a usable partner is found.

D Pair 2: These two will make mistakes and then clean them up. Speed length and grit in abundance. If these two keep growing together, these two have top pairing potential.

D Pair 3: Hagg picks up where he leaves off. Physical, mean, shot blocking dman who struggles to breakout. Gus provides offense at a level that makes me want to see him beside Provy. Fought the puck a little on opening night, direct cause for a goal against. Also directly involved for a couple goals for. High event player.

Hart: looked great. Minus the turnover. Want him continuing to play the puck. It's his biggest flaw and the only thing that'll help him is doing it.

i don't have any meaningful thoughts about last night. i wasn't sure that we'd ever see patrick again, so that was a boon. lindblom being in the lineup again is still great to see.

this is going to be a very tough season for everyone; if this team can grind out results, it will make things a little bit easier.

also, take some time to stop ******** all over braun and JVR. i don't have anything in particular to call out, but just try to wait until we're not in first place before getting your blood all the way up.

Quote Originally Posted by steagles View Post
    i don't have any meaningful thoughts about last night. i wasn't sure that we'd ever see patrick again, so that was a boon. lindblom being in the lineup again is still great to see.

this is going to be a very tough season for everyone; if this team can grind out results, it will make things a little bit easier.

also, take some time to stop ******** all over braun and JVR. i don't have anything in particular to call out, but just try to wait until we're not in first place before getting your blood all the way up.
    No one did anything to JVR or Braun other than point out the obvious. JVR is a little off on 5v5...whether he is slightly out of position/hesitant/slow I can't quite put my finger on. Braun should not be in the top 8 D available to this team. Provy, Sanheim, Myers, Ghost, Gus, Hagg, Zamula, Morin, and my mother are all better than him and should start over him. lol

I have something particular for real to point out about Braun. He is very physical and strong, but when he makes his hit, it seems like his next move is almost always in the wrong direction. If he plays the puck, it almost always seems to be to the wrong spot. Maybe that's because he's having bad luck or just thinking the game a little too slow, but it's an issue. Also, I noticed that every player pretty much tried to make the same move on Braun 1v1...Hesitation move inside then use speed to go around him. It was very effective and resulted in a couple high danger scoring chances in the 3rd. This can't be something we allow vs high caliber teams like the Lightning, Stars, Avalanche, etc. if we want to go deep into the playoffs. I hope we can get Ghost in that top pairing spot with Provy and he shines. I think this is the make or break season for Ghost and I have a good feeling about him.

Quote Originally Posted by steagles View Post

I wouldn't call any observations after one game meaningful. From anyone really.

I actually am in the minority. I like both braun and JVR. I like them in what I feel is their proper roles though. JVR in a third line PP role. Braun in a 3rd pair PK role.

Quote Originally Posted by castan_b View Post

Are you insane? No.

Quote Originally Posted by txravis12 View Post
    I wouldn't call any observations after one game meaningful. From anyone really.

I actually am in the minority. I like both braun and JVR. I like them in what I feel is their proper roles though. JVR in a third line PP role. Braun in a 3rd pair PK role.
    In order for this lineup to run optimal l we need Ghost to play at the level he was when he and Provorov were dominant. Braun is just difficult to watch 5v5.

Quote Originally Posted by CasperX22 View Post
    In order for this lineup to run optimal l we need Ghost to play at the level he was when he and Provorov were dominant. Braun is just difficult to watch 5v5.
    Or gus back to his form when he was beside Keith.

There's also a few guys that may become available that could fit that role.

My hope is we can band aid our way to the deadline and acquire an actual remedy then for the playoffs.

Keep in mind anyone with a NMC or term will provide legitimate difficulties with impending expansion

I agree that we shouldn't take much away from a single game. For me, the biggest takeaway is that both Patrick and Linblom looked healthy, got off to a nice start and look like they belong in an NHL lineup. Both were guys who may have never played another NHL game again, and both came back, and in their first regular season game (with maybe a little luck) potted goals. That's just good for them, and good for the team.

I won't **** on Braun any more than I would. I think he's a fringey 3rd pair guy, I don't enjoy seeing him eat too many 1st defensive line minutes, though. And that's little to do with last night and more to do with...he's just not that good and I hate anchoring Provorov with the task of "hey, can you please make Justin disappear a bit?". It won't be the difference between a cup and not likely, at least not on its own, but it's just not preferential. It'd be great if we could give Ghost a true shot again in the NHL lineup, because when he's right, he fills the other side of Provorov really well. We'll have to see if that materializes when he comes back from the Covid list.

Quote Originally Posted by CasperX22 View Post
    except prov is constantly put with **** guys and ghost is a shell... wtf are we doing guys... seriously We have 2 of the same players in ghost and gus and yet we are expecting these guys to be great? on top of this we have braun... look i love hart and i hope lind/patrick will be the difference but knowing how **** ghost is and knowing gus is the same and we have braun and G lost a a step........ we should have done whatever it took to get another guy to put along side prov...nisk hurt us and what did we do to help that beside **** hart?

i pray i am wrong but goddamn ghost/gus and braun,,,, fnl

Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    I agree that we shouldn't take much away from a single game. For me, the biggest takeaway is that both Patrick and Linblom looked healthy, got off to a nice start and look like they belong in an NHL lineup. Both were guys who may have never played another NHL game again, and both came back, and in their first regular season game (with maybe a little luck) potted goals. That's just good for them, and good for the team.

I won't **** on Braun any more than I would. I think he's a fringey 3rd pair guy, I don't enjoy seeing him eat too many 1st defensive line minutes, though. And that's little to do with last night and more to do with...he's just not that good and I hate anchoring Provorov with the task of "hey, can you please make Justin disappear a bit?". It won't be the difference between a cup and not likely, at least not on its own, but it's just not preferential. It'd be great if we could give Ghost a true shot again in the NHL lineup, because when he's right, he fills the other side of Provorov really well. We'll have to see if that materializes when he comes back from the Covid list.
    this... why the **** lol... you are basically anchoring an anchor to your top 3 player tbh and your best defenseman... why... WHY

Quote Originally Posted by More-Than-Most View Post
    except prov is constantly put with **** guys and ghost is a shell... wtf are we doing guys... seriously We have 2 of the same players in ghost and gus and yet we are expecting these guys to be great? on top of this we have braun... look i love hart and i hope lind/patrick will be the difference but knowing how **** ghost is and knowing gus is the same and we have braun and G lost a a step........ we should have done whatever it took to get another guy to put along side prov...nisk hurt us and what did we do to help that beside **** hart?

i pray i am wrong but goddamn ghost/gus and braun,,,, fnl
    I would like to point out that Ghost and Gus, while similar aren't exact replicas. Ghost, when on top of his game, is flat out a game changer. He literally can terrorize teams that are strong in the neutral zone by breaking up literally everything and creating chances the other way with them. He was literally a Norris finalist in his best year. Gus is not that, but has slightly more defensive upside. I don't understand how people can criticize this before anything is wrong with it. Essentially, they took the "an abundance of assets is better than not having an asset" approach. This is also known as having depth. The issue is more along the lines of optimization of the assets right now.

The questions I have are more in line with:

1.) JVR over Frost? -- I would actually like them to play JVR for now and when an injury occurs (which it will) call Frost up. We can also get JVR's value super high and try to either flip him for a nice Dman or dangle him out there for Seattle.

2.) Braun over Ghost? -- Right now we don't know what the plan is for Ghost. Remember though...before Ghost went on the "unfit to play" list, he was paired with Provorov at camp. I think this is the plan for him when he returns. This question, may in fact turn into a more "Braun over Gus?" I think the answer there has got to be Gus though. Hagg with Braun just seems too slow to me.

3.) When do we get Carter his breaks? -- We have 8 back to backs (half of which take place in the last month of the season). That's a nice schedule in a condensed season, but I don't want Carter run into the ground. I think giving him breaks against teams like NYR and NJD will be necessary even though he has a nice record against those two.

4.) Will Gritty Travel with the team? -- Let's be honest, he's an essential part of Kevin Hayes's success. Hayes has more goals in front of Gritty than away from him. There's something to be said about that.

Seriously though...I don't get the overwhelming anger over a team that just pretty much handed the Penguins their butt. Two of their goals were lucky/bad turnovers and can be prevented by cleaning up our play a little. Our goals were primarily hardworking and created by our top players. It was a great 1st game. If we can follow it up with another win, that puts Pitts in a hole early and will feel great for us.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast