Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 127
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,783

    IGT: January "High Hopes"

    Hockey is back and the Flyers have a great chance at a deep playoff run and possibly even a cup. Love opening the season against the Pens. Anyone know what the starting lines are? Not a big fan of Provy having to drag Braun around the ice if he's paired with him. At least the Sanheim/Myers are still together. Got a feeling Ghost will be riding the bench again with Hagg/Gust paired together.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,451
    season preview, from the defector:

    The Flyers have been a real yo-yo of a team these past few seasons, bouncing in and out of the playoffs every other year with consistent inconsistency since 2013. Based on the pattern, after finishing just a point behind the Capitals at the top of their division and winning 10 games in the bubble, youíd peg them to drop out of the bracket altogether. In reality, though this dumb season isnít made for rational predictions, the safest assumption would be that this time out they find a kind of unsatisfied middle between trash and contenders.

    The Flyers are top-to-bottom a solidly constructed group, with a good goalie in Carter Hart, some standouts at the top led by Sean Couturier, and just an impressive lack of bad players further down. Where they have the most unanswered questions, however, is defense, after the unexpected retirement of a top-line guy in Matt Niskanen. Thatís where Ivan Provorov, Niskanenís partner in 2019Ė20, comes in. The 24-year-old with highlight-reel offensive abilities is now the unquestioned leader of this unit after making a big step forward onto that line between good and great last year. Heíll need to prove he can keep it up without Niskanen if the Flyers want to be considered a serious threat.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    4,080
    Quote Originally Posted by lbz88 View Post
    Hockey is back and the Flyers have a great chance at a deep playoff run and possibly even a cup. Love opening the season against the Pens. Anyone know what the starting lines are? Not a big fan of Provy having to drag Braun around the ice if he's paired with him. At least the Sanheim/Myers are still together. Got a feeling Ghost will be riding the bench again with Hagg/Gust paired together.
    I thought Ghost had da rona? He's on the "unfit to play" list which is code for da rona....lol

    I'm cautiously optimistic. Our team, offensively, should easily be top 10 and hopefully top 5 if Jake and G don't start slow and avoid those injuries (or long term issues like cancers and migraine disorders). On defense, we have to stop anchoring Provy with guys like Braun or AMac (who I'd almost prefer to Braun in some cases). I think once ghost comes back, he will be Provy's partner and he will be...not quite his old self, but definitely close to his old self. That's the hope right?

    This may be it for the trio of G, Jake, and Coots being on the same team. For Giroux and Jake, this season will decide whether they will be Flyers next season. Not making the playoffs means changes probably have to be made...big ones...

    That said, I feel as though we will finish in the top 3 in our division (maybe even number one). I think Hart steals a couple games for us early and is a Vezina finalist.

    LET'S GO FLYERS!!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    57,728
    Good first 1st period of the season overall. PP hit twice (of course, just what everyone expects). Patrick has at least a point, maybe a goal. Gus was a bit up and down, but good on the PP. Hard to complain.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    8,467
    Patty is back

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    8,467
    Horrible turnover by Gus

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    117,414
    Fara on pace for over 200 points.... we taking the over or under? lol

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    57,728
    Quote Originally Posted by castan_b View Post
    Horrible turnover by Gus
    Gustafson will giveth and taketh away.

    Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    57,728
    Quote Originally Posted by More-Than-Most View Post
    Fara on pace for over 200 points.... we taking the over or under? lol
    I'd say this is a slow start. Hes shooting for 300.

    Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    117,414
    Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    I'd say this is a slow start. Hes shooting for 300.

    Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,783
    Gust is nothing more than Ghost but a little bigger. Braun is going to drag Provy down. Sanheim got a talking too after Hayes had a bad turnover at the end of the game. PP is clicking, hopefully they can keep that going. Nice feeling beating the Pens 6 - 3. All games in the division is going to make for an interesting season.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    117,414
    Quote Originally Posted by lbz88 View Post
    Gust is nothing more than Ghost but a little bigger. Braun is going to drag Provy down. Sanheim got a talking too after Hayes had a bad turnover at the end of the game. PP is clicking, hopefully they can keep that going. Nice feeling beating the Pens 6 - 3. All games in the division is going to make for an interesting season.
    yup... that is why i was shocked about getting gust... he is ghost 2.0 which is exactly what we didnt need.... braun had to be brought back because money and we got screwed with nisk retirement but man hart and prov are gonna suffer.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    9,930
    Quote Originally Posted by More-Than-Most View Post
    yup... that is why i was shocked about getting gust... he is ghost 2.0 which is exactly what we didnt need.... braun had to be brought back because money and we got screwed with nisk retirement but man hart and prov are gonna suffer.
    i don't think its going to be that bad. Ghost is finally healthy and if he can be solid, he can be a good partner for prov. Hagg is so damn slow and braun should only be on the 3rd pair. The team is the deepest its ever been. Patrick looks great, lindblom will get better, and farabee looks much better. Plus, we have a top 5 4th line that can play against most top6 opposition. All of these things can help our team defense

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,783
    I laughed to myself when the announcer said the Flyers 4th line was stuck on the ice against the Pens 2nd line. I'll take that matchup all the time.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    8,467
    Around the league thought ... should have tried to trade Ghost and a 1st for Hoglander ...kid is a stud. Scored in his first game, looked terrific. Vancouver is a monster

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •