Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post
    Yea the TEís on the roster already are adequate. We need defense or OL help. Pitts would be a huge waist, especially for what it would cost to move up to 4.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    What would you do if Pitts was available at 10? Some regard him as one of the most talented in the draft.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketfuel View Post
    What would you do if Pitts was available at 10? Some regard him as one of the most talented in the draft.
    Depends on who else is there. If Slater, Surtain, or Horn are on the board I would prefer them. The ONLY way I would be ok with selecting Pitts at 10 is if they traded Cooper or Gallup. Then if they also traded back up in to the bottom of the 1st to draft Trevon Moehrig.

Depends on who else is there. If Slater, Surtain, or Horn are on the board I would prefer them. The ONLY way I would be ok with selecting Pitts at 10 is if they traded Cooper or Gallup. Then if they also traded back up in to the bottom of the 1st to draft Trevon Moehrig.

On the flip side, Pitts could be one of those players that stick around and give the Cowboys a lot of production for years. The Cowboys easily should be one of the most explosive offenses if they go that route. I don't go for need if he one player is so much more talented than the other. The Cowboys messed up in the past by going for need and the guy they passed ended up being a hall of famer. Depends on how you feel about Surtain, whether he's a shutdown corner.

On the flip side, Pitts could be one of those players that stick around and give the Cowboys a lot of production for years. The Cowboys easily should be one of the most explosive offenses if they go that route. I don't go for need if he one player is so much more talented than the other. The Cowboys messed up in the past by going for need and the guy they passed ended up being a hall of famer. Depends on how you feel about Surtain, whether he's a shutdown corner.
    With Pitts I think itís all going to be about fit. Iím not convinced that he would be a HOF caliber TE in Dallas. There is only 1 ball. Youíre not going to force feed your TE when you have Lamb, Gallup, Cooper, Zeke, Pollard. Pitts would likely get about 3 targets per game. Thatís not going to get him into the HOF.

Hereís an article from the Cowboys website on what they are likely wanting at pick 10. The guy they want is Sewell. If heís not there then one of the CBís.

Also take a look at the mock draft they have for the Cowboys (itís also in the link). I would be more interested in that mock scenario than I would be with taking Pitts at 10.

https://twitter.com/bloggingtheboys/...394394121?s=21

With Pitts I think itís all going to be about fit. Iím not convinced that he would be a HOF caliber TE in Dallas. There is only 1 ball. Youíre not going to force feed your TE when you have Lamb, Gallup, Cooper, Zeke, Pollard. Pitts would likely get about 3 targets per game. Thatís not going to get him into the HOF.

Hereís an article from the Cowboys website on what they are likely wanting at pick 10. The guy they want is Sewell. If heís not there then one of the CBís.

Also take a look at the mock draft they have for the Cowboys (itís also in the link). I would be more interested in that mock scenario than I would be with taking Pitts at 10.

https://twitter.com/bloggingtheboys/...394394121?s=21

I'm just playing with the scenarios. I don't have any player I'm keying in on. I think the Cowboys aren't really that close to a Superbowl. They've been talking about it for 2 decades. So filling in a need would only be a temporary thing, whereas getting the most talented player at a position you can have there for a long time, that will be much more rewarding. Statwise, the Cowboys did put up some numbers in the season before this last one, but they also got shut down against some good teams, so you can always use someone to unlock that for you. I'm just running through the scenarios, not really advocating one way or the other. I see your point, but I also see another route too.

I'm just playing with the scenarios. I don't have any player I'm keying in on. I think the Cowboys aren't really that close to a Superbowl. They've been talking about it for 2 decades. So filling in a need would only be a temporary thing, whereas getting the most talented player at a position you can have there for a long time, that will be much more rewarding. Statwise, the Cowboys did put up some numbers in the season before this last one, but they also got shut down against some good teams, so you can always use someone to unlock that for you. I'm just running through the scenarios, not really advocating one way or the other. I see your point, but I also see another route too.
    Obviously I can see why people like Pitts, I just think it would be a huge mistake to draft a TE in 1st round. History says those guys donít succeed regardless of how talented they are. Doesnít matter to me that heís bigger and just as fast as a WR because the fact is heís NOT a WR. He will be playing TE in the NFL. That means he will need to block at some point and heís a horrible blocker.

I understand youíre just spit balling though. Just running through all the scenarios. If the Cowboys are going to add a pass catcher at 10 I would actually prefer they draft DeVonte Smith. Then use Gallup and their 2nd to move back into the bottom of the 1st and draft Trevon Moehrig or even Caleb Farley. Or maybe even the LB Zaven Collins from Tulsa.

Ultimately though I still want them to draft Sewell, Slater, Surtain, or Horn at 10. Itís going to be real interesting to see what offers they get for 10 too if one of the QBís is still in the board at 10.

Obviously I can see why people like Pitts, I just think it would be a huge mistake to draft a TE in 1st round. History says those guys donít succeed regardless of how talented they are. Doesnít matter to me that heís bigger and just as fast as a WR because the fact is heís NOT a WR. He will be playing TE in the NFL. That means he will need to block at some point and heís a horrible blocker.

I understand youíre just spit balling though. Just running through all the scenarios. If the Cowboys are going to add a pass catcher at 10 I would actually prefer they draft DeVonte Smith. Then use Gallup and their 2nd to move back into the bottom of the 1st and draft Trevon Moehrig or even Caleb Farley. Or maybe even the LB Zaven Collins from Tulsa.

Ultimately though I still want them to draft Sewell, Slater, Surtain, or Horn at 10. Itís going to be real interesting to see what offers they get for 10 too if one of the QBís is still in the board at 10.

Yeah, just spitballing. If Pitts were say a Gronk, Tony Gonzalez or even a Kelce, I'd draft him that high. Anything less, I'd go with whoever's the most talented. Have you entertained the possibility the Cowboys move up in the draft? Or is that not a Jerry move? At some point, I'd like them to rejuvenate that line. When the Cowboys were doing well, they had a dominant line that allowed them to run the ball, give the QB all the time in the world and also not expose the defense by keeping them off the field for large chunks.

Yeah, just spitballing. If Pitts were say a Gronk, Tony Gonzalez or even a Kelce, I'd draft him that high. Anything less, I'd go with whoever's the most talented. Have you entertained the possibility the Cowboys move up in the draft? Or is that not a Jerry move? At some point, I'd like them to rejuvenate that line. When the Cowboys were doing well, they had a dominant line that allowed them to run the ball, give the QB all the time in the world and also not expose the defense by keeping them off the field for large chunks.
    I would also love to have a TE that is a HOF talent like those guys, my point is you donít need to spend a 1st round pick to find that guy. Gonzalez may be the only HOF TE that was drafted in the 1st round.

As for the possibility of Jerry trading up, yea I think there is a very good chance Jerry does trade up to 4 or 5. I also would not be shocked if Jerry traded up to 4 to draft Pitts. For him to do that though means that Stephen and/or Will McClay agreed with Jerry. The latest rumor that I read says that the Cowboys are enamored with Sewell and that they are considering trading up for him or if heís there at 10 they would take him. Heís the guy they really want (according to the rumor).

There are also rumors of Jerry trading down to 20 and picking up a 1st in next yearís draft. There will still be some quality guys left on the board at 20. At that point taking a DT would make sense. Or they could take one of the other OTís. This draft is really a toss up. Even if they stay at 10 there are about 5 guys I could see them taking.

I would also love to have a TE that is a HOF talent like those guys, my point is you donít need to spend a 1st round pick to find that guy. Gonzalez may be the only HOF TE that was drafted in the 1st round.

As for the possibility of Jerry trading up, yea I think there is a very good chance Jerry does trade up to 4 or 5. I also would not be shocked if Jerry traded up to 4 to draft Pitts. For him to do that though means that Stephen and/or Will McClay agreed with Jerry. The latest rumor that I read says that the Cowboys are enamored with Sewell and that they are considering trading up for him or if heís there at 10 they would take him. Heís the guy they really want (according to the rumor).

There are also rumors of Jerry trading down to 20 and picking up a 1st in next yearís draft. There will still be some quality guys left on the board at 20. At that point taking a DT would make sense. Or they could take one of the other OTís. This draft is really a toss up. Even if they stay at 10 there are about 5 guys I could see them taking.

I'm ready for some game changers, whoever they decide. We have a bunch of pretty good players or players that aren't living up to their reputation. We have so many needs, you pretty much could throw dart on the dartboard anywhere. Jerry does tend to like the "sexy" picks, while some of his brass would go for the practical pick. I have noticed that the top 4 teams have tended to be the best passing teams or have a top flight QB. So, it's getting to the point where you have to be a top passing team and also able to defend against the pass.

I'm ready for some game changers, whoever they decide. We have a bunch of pretty good players or players that aren't living up to their reputation. We have so many needs, you pretty much could throw dart on the dartboard anywhere. Jerry does tend to like the "sexy" picks, while some of his brass would go for the practical pick. I have noticed that the top 4 teams have tended to be the best passing teams or have a top flight QB. So, it's getting to the point where you have to be a top passing team and also able to defend against the pass.
    Thatís why I like the idea of taking Surtain or Horn. Their biggest weakness is defense and if you can draft the best CB in the draft it will only help your pass defense. Also with the way EDGE Gregory Rousseau is dropping he might actually also be there for the Cowboys in the 2nd round. It wonít solve all their defensive problems but it would be a great start.

Thatís why I like the idea of taking Surtain or Horn. Their biggest weakness is defense and if you can draft the best CB in the draft it will only help your pass defense. Also with the way EDGE Gregory Rousseau is dropping he might actually also be there for the Cowboys in the 2nd round. It wonít solve all their defensive problems but it would be a great start.

It will be interesting to see. I've liked most of their recent drafts. Their previous ones where they missed on Randy Moss, not so much.

Unless a team blows you away with an offer for #10, you draft a CB or OT at 10 and call it good.

Quote Originally Posted by lbz88 View Post
    Unless a team blows you away with an offer for #10, you draft a CB or OT at 10 and call it good.
    I agree, both of the top 2 CB, and Rashawn Slater should still be on the board at 10. Unless someone offers a 2nd this year and 1st next year to move up to 10 (as well as swapping 1st this year) just take the best player at 10 and call it a day.

Iím just as interested in who will be available with their 2nd round pick. Some of the names Iím looking at are Edge Gregory Rousseau, LB Jamin Davis, CB Asante Samuel Jr, OT Samuel Cosmi, OT Alex Leatherwood, S Trevon Moehrig, and OT Liam Eichenberg.

Anyone of those guys would help this team.

Iím just as interested in who will be available with their 2nd round pick. Some of the names Iím looking at are Edge Gregory Rousseau, LB Jamin Davis, CB Asante Samuel Jr, OT Samuel Cosmi, OT Alex Leatherwood, S Trevon Moehrig, and OT Liam Eichenberg.

Anyone of those guys would help this team.

Maybe the Cowboys can jettison some of the more expensive contracts to add more value overall....otherwise, they are just going to have a lopsidedly built team. I don't think a few picks will tilt the balance.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast