Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    13,884

    Manfred tells teams to prepare for 162

    Originally posted : Today, 01:15 PM
    by: PJO34
    Sleeper Draft Pick

    Rob Manfred tells teams to prepare for 162-game season, spring training to start on time
    Conference call with all 30 teams took place Monday

    The league wanted to delay the start of the season by at least a month so more players and fans could get vaccinated — and more stadiums could open. But the MLBPA — whose approval the league would need to delay the season due to the CBA — fought against it, making it clear that they would not accept anything less than 100 percent of the pay this season.

    Spring training is set to begin Feb. 17 in Arizona and Florida, with Opening Day scheduled for April 1.

    https://www.sny.tv/articles/mlb-comm...-start-on-time
    Last edited by drt1010; 01-12-2021 at 02:30 PM.
    "Dante once said that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality,” JFK 1963.
    "Fight for the things that you care about, but do it in a way that will lead others to join you." - Ruth Bader Ginsburg
    "Not everything that counts can be counted and not everything that can be counted counts."--- Einstein
    “Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced.”---- James Baldwin




  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    13,884
    Quote Originally Posted by drt1010 View Post
    Originally posted : Today, 01:15 PM
    by: PJO34
    Sleeper Draft Pick

    Rob Manfred tells teams to prepare for 162-game season, spring training to start on time
    Conference call with all 30 teams took place Monday

    The league wanted to delay the start of the season by at least a month so more players and fans could get vaccinated — and more stadiums could open. But the MLBPA — whose approval the league would need to delay the season due to the CBA — fought against it, making it clear that they would not accept anything less than 100 percent of the pay this season.

    Spring training is set to begin Feb. 17 in Arizona and Florida, with Opening Day scheduled for April 1.

    https://www.sny.tv/articles/mlb-comm...-start-on-time
    Greed is not good. I usually support players 100%. This decision may have consequences they are not considering.
    "Dante once said that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality,” JFK 1963.
    "Fight for the things that you care about, but do it in a way that will lead others to join you." - Ruth Bader Ginsburg
    "Not everything that counts can be counted and not everything that can be counted counts."--- Einstein
    “Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced.”---- James Baldwin




  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    13,884
    If there are no fans, hence no gate receipts, can the small market teams survive on TV revs alone? Forbes estimated in 2018, MLB teams took in around $2.8 billion at the gate.

    MLB has three relevant national television contracts that amount to around $1.7 billion in yearly revenues, which are split among the 30 teams. There is roughly another $1 billion that comes from the central offices that is split among teams, per Forbes, but that revenue comes from MLB-owned properties like MLB Network, MLB.TV and MLB.com. The television deals are with FOX, TBS, and ESPN.

    If teams play a half slate of games (81), and get half as much money at the gate in those games, they end up with $700M in gate receipts and roughly $2B in revenue losses. Considering 2020 was a 60 game schedule the losses were probably larger. MLB is very tight lipped about actual team revenue numbers.

    Seems teams with RSN's may be in a more advantageous position, considering their subscriber based fees.

    https://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeoza...h=ca9198c69b2e
    "Dante once said that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality,” JFK 1963.
    "Fight for the things that you care about, but do it in a way that will lead others to join you." - Ruth Bader Ginsburg
    "Not everything that counts can be counted and not everything that can be counted counts."--- Einstein
    “Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced.”---- James Baldwin




  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Posts
    37,081
    Damn.

    The funny thing is all I thought was, great. The season starts in a month and the Yankees are worse than they were last year



    Ignorance is bliss

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    358
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinkotheclown View Post
    Damn.

    The funny thing is all I thought was, great. The season starts in a month and the Yankees are worse than they were last year
    Even if we are to stay under 210M we still have money to spend, and if the season is going well, we will probably get a few rentals. Don't worry. It's all going to be good.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    13,884
    Quote Originally Posted by PJO34 View Post
    Even if we are to stay under 210M we still have money to spend, and if the season is going well, we will probably get a few rentals. Don't worry. It's all going to be good.
    Including arb estimates they have about $28M under the "cap" to spend in 2021. If they sign DJ not much wiggle room left.
    Carrasco and Lindor would have cost $32M in 2021. The tax penalty on the $4M overage is negligible, Hal probably spends more on haircuts and cab fare.
    "Dante once said that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality,” JFK 1963.
    "Fight for the things that you care about, but do it in a way that will lead others to join you." - Ruth Bader Ginsburg
    "Not everything that counts can be counted and not everything that can be counted counts."--- Einstein
    “Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced.”---- James Baldwin




  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Tacoma, Wa
    Posts
    9,663
    Quote Originally Posted by drt1010 View Post
    Including arb estimates they have about $28M under the "cap" to spend in 2021. If they sign DJ not much wiggle room left.
    Carrasco and Lindor would have cost $32M in 2021. The tax penalty on the $4M overage is negligible, Hal probably spends more on haircuts and cab fare.
    absolutely unreal they didn't make a real run at those guys. If Carrasco just has a decsent yr for him he's worth every bit of 13m, that actually pretty cheap for a starter of his caliber. Lindor would have solved alot of our issues both short and long term. Most yrs the package the Mets gave up wouldn't be enough to get a starter of Carrasco's caliper alone much less get Lindor. Its just such an unbelievable or atleast was an unbelievable chance to add elite talent for pennies on the dollar.

    Especially with where this core is at the Yanks should have taken advantage of the market and gone all in for this yr. This core probably only has a 2-3yr window, they should absolutely be all in for this yr. George would be grabbing every AS he could yet his kid can't kind a big enough rock to hide under. Hal should be green lighting them to load up.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Posts
    37,081
    Quote Originally Posted by PJO34 View Post
    Even if we are to stay under 210M we still have money to spend, and if the season is going well, we will probably get a few rentals. Don't worry. It's all going to be good.
    No doubt and I', not worried. Even without DJ the team is favored to at least make the playoffs.

    It's a preference thing. I don't want to win with rentals.

    My point was that I think Cashman has done a crappy job thus far, this offseason and time is getting short
    DJ is the one true hitter in the lineup and he is likely gone.
    So as of now we are looking at a lineup of
    Hicks
    Judge
    Voit
    Torres
    Stanton
    Frazier
    Urshela
    Sanchez
    Wade

    That is not a fun game to watch.

    K. K
    K. HR
    K. K
    K. K
    K. W
    FB. K
    GB. Single
    K. K
    GB. GB

    ....

    I have no doubt they are waiting till the midway point to see if they need "a bat" and to see how Sevy and German are doing and if they need pitching help.



    Ignorance is bliss

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Posts
    37,081
    Quote Originally Posted by dayners81 View Post
    absolutely unreal they didn't make a real run at those guys. If Carrasco just has a decsent yr for him he's worth every bit of 13m, that actually pretty cheap for a starter of his caliber. Lindor would have solved alot of our issues both short and long term. Most yrs the package the Mets gave up wouldn't be enough to get a starter of Carrasco's caliper alone much less get Lindor. Its just such an unbelievable or atleast was an unbelievable chance to add elite talent for pennies on the dollar.

    Especially with where this core is at the Yanks should have taken advantage of the market and gone all in for this yr. This core probably only has a 2-3yr window, they should absolutely be all in for this yr. George would be grabbing every AS he could yet his kid can't kind a big enough rock to hide under. Hal should be green lighting them to load up.
    Day, here's the real question. Who is the "core" to whom you refer?
    Because my feeling is, there are 2 partial cores. Judge, Hick and Sanchez are one and they have very little time. Torres, Voit, Frazier, Andujar are another and with the right moves, they could last for a decade.
    The problem is the Yankees are playing the middle ground. They are not doing anything to help one or the other. I would argue that by waiting, they are looking the future and not to Judge, Stanton, Sanchez, hicks.



    Ignorance is bliss

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Cold Spring, NY
    Posts
    4,715
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinkotheclown View Post
    Damn.

    The funny thing is all I thought was, great. The season starts in a month and the Yankees are worse than they were last year


    You don't know they're worse than last year until they play.
    The REAL DEAL Yankee fan

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Posts
    37,081
    Quote Originally Posted by YANKSGUY View Post
    You don't know they're worse than last year until they play.
    Fair point
    I should have said on paper. I think without DJ, they are worse. They lose D and they lose a fantastic lead off hitter and a leader.
    They could still sign him and someone could step up and be the type of player he was



    Ignorance is bliss

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    13,884
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinkotheclown View Post
    Fair point
    I should have said on paper. I think without DJ, they are worse. They lose D and they lose a fantastic lead off hitter and a leader.
    They could still sign him and someone could step up and be the type of player he was
    Clearly. If you remove a batting champ and the most consistent bat in the line up the entire team is weakened. He is also a GG caliber defender. The loss would hurt. It could have been mitigated by the Lindor's glove, but even then you aren't replacing DJ's consistency at the plate.
    "Dante once said that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality,” JFK 1963.
    "Fight for the things that you care about, but do it in a way that will lead others to join you." - Ruth Bader Ginsburg
    "Not everything that counts can be counted and not everything that can be counted counts."--- Einstein
    “Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced.”---- James Baldwin




  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    5,194
    As of right now they are without Tanaka , losing Tanaka makes them worse too .

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •