Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by HunterNRoss View Post
    Probably what BB runs. Focuses on top tier DB play
    Who runs a defensive scheme that doesn’t rely on good DLs, LBs, or DBs? That’s the guy Gruden should’ve hired.

Quote Originally Posted by a60rdie View Post
    I'm kinda hoping Bradley lures Richard Sherman over to be our FS. He's an FA this year, still has a lot to offer and hopefully has a good relationship with Bradley.

Long shot and probably not a chance in hell, but he would certainly help our defensive backfield. I would much rather have Sherman over Thomas.
    I'm not sure if Sherman would work out as a free safety in a cover 3. He's slow and not exactly athletic
    Quote Originally Posted by Proximo View Post
    Carr may very well be the worst starting QB in Raiders history. Carr is like a root canal that takes 8 hrs. The Raiders have stuck with this bum going on 7 seasons! All they have to show for it is excuses. I hope Mariorta runs him out of training camp.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proximo View Post
    Sounds as though Mayock is waxing the Pinto and installing fake leather seat covers and chrome hubcaps before posting it on Craigslist.

Quote Originally Posted by Switch View Post
    I'm not sure if Sherman would work out as a free safety in a cover 3. He's slow and not exactly athletic
    There may be better options at FS, but I’d be willing to roll the dice on Sherman for the right deal. His experience and intelligence make up for his declining physical attributes.

Well on the bright side I don’t need to buy the nfl package next year.

This won’t be worth watching.

Quote Originally Posted by mberr View Post
    Who runs a defensive scheme that doesn’t rely on good DLs, LBs, or DBs?
    The Raiders have been trying to do just that for years now.

Too soon?

Quote Originally Posted by mmbt View Post
    The Raiders have been trying to do just that for years now.

Too soon?
    LOL, Never to soon

Time to start looking for the tall lanky cornerbacks that are better in zone since that's what bradley likes.

Abrams should put on some muscle and play ss.I'm wondering where muse will play.He might be an olb and take over for morrow.

Arnette might fit the zone scheme more as well,I still have high hopes for him but we definitely gotta bring in some better depth at cb,just not in the first 3 rounds.

The only thing about Bradley's presser that I thought was interesting was that he admitted that he wasn't familiar with the Raiders defense or the players for that matter. I can forgive not knowing the players, but how do you go to a job interview without being at least a tiny bit familiar with a team's historical scheme?

It's probably not a big deal, I just think that if this was a situation where a young inexperienced coach was applying for the first time to be a DC, he'd go into the interview with some idea of what defense the team ran and why it didn't work.

But who knows, the NFL being a good old boys network to some extent, maybe Jon was familiar enough with Bradley that he didn't feel the need to really pick his brain like that? (Yeah, we all know Al Davis would have definitely challenged him like that before giving him the job.)

Quote Originally Posted by RaiderLakersA's View Post
    The only thing about Bradley's presser that I thought was interesting was that he admitted that he wasn't familiar with the Raiders defense or the players for that matter. I can forgive not knowing the players, but how do you go to a job interview without being at least a tiny bit familiar with a team's historical scheme?

It's probably not a big deal, I just think that if this was a situation where a young inexperienced coach was applying for the first time to be a DC, he'd go into the interview with some idea of what defense the team ran and why it didn't work.

But who knows, the NFL being a good old boys network to some extent, maybe Jon was familiar enough with Bradley that he didn't feel the need to really pick his brain like that? (Yeah, we all know Al Davis would have definitely challenged him like that before giving him the job.)
    Who blames him? I wouldn’t want to watch film of our defense either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coach talk meaning: I am not going to give you any ammunition and I really don't want to answer your questions about personnel until I figure this out.

"...prone to stoogery.".

Quote Originally Posted by Shred003 View Post
    A FS with ball skills would help the Raiders tremendously. Pair that with making sure Jonathan Abram knows his assignment and you'll see a reduction in blown coverages deep.

Mullen was pretty strong but got far too many PI calls. Arnette isn't athletic enough to play press-man coverage, IMO.

We might see the Raiders do something weird, where Mullen plays man coverage while the rest of the defense plays a cover-3.

Ultimately, pairing a great pass rush with a zone defense can net you immediate improvements. So DT, more than FS, should be the priority.
    Bradley’s d is dependent on good pressure from the dl and great play from the fs position. Zone and a simple scheme will make our young cbs better. But without a good fs, we will struggle again.

Not exactly who I hoped for but even if Bradely can get the Raiders to improve on the points allowed by the Chargers of 26.6/game it would be a significant upgrade.

The Raiders have only had a defense ranked (by points allowed) better than top 20 allowed once in the past 28 years, and that came under Art Shell's Raiders, who could not score so teams would just score 14 and stop since they knew the game was over. If Bradely could get the Raiders defense to rank 20 next year, I think it would be, sadly, a great achievement. Of course, points are not the only statistic that matters but I think it is a good proxy measure of overall success and is the one most look at when conducting a raw analysis of team performance.

For perspective I compiled the defensive rankings (pts/game). For more complete metrics, you can always search by year on:
    https://www.pro-football-reference.c...s/2006/opp.htm

Year Rank
    2020 30
    2019 24
    2018 32
    2017 20
    2016 20
    2015 22
    2014 32
    2013 29
    2012 28
    2011 29
    2010 20
    2009 23
    2008 24
    2007 26
    2006 18
    2005 25
    2004 31
    2003 25
    2002 6
    2001 19
    2000 9
    1999 16
    1998 20

"..And then the Raiders drafted the Knight in Shining Armor Prince Quarterback. Then they went on to win the Super Bowl. All the women in the kingdom cheered and they lived happily ever after...""

Wouldn't he spend the majority, if not all his time studying film and players for opposing offenses?

Quote Originally Posted by a60rdie View Post
    There may be better options at FS, but I’d be willing to roll the dice on Sherman for the right deal. His experience and intelligence make up for his declining physical attributes.
    I would give Joyner one more chance as our starting free safety before cutting him.

Quote Originally Posted by erickench View Post
    I would give Joyner one more chance as our starting free safety before cutting him.
    Same, just need to restructure moving more money into a guarantee.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast