Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 26 of 28 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 LastLast
    [McLane] Eagles coach Doug Pederson says he’s inclined to take a year off.

Apparently he repeated this today. Wonder which coach he thinks is getting fired next year?
    Dak: 17,634 @ 66.0%, 7.7 per att, 106+24 TD, 40 INT+34 FMB, 97.3 Rate
    Wentz: 16,811 @ 62.7%, 6.7 per att, 113+8 TD, 50 INT+58 FMB, 89.2 Rate

Quote Originally Posted by BDawk4Prez View Post
    I'll leave PSD if Foles isn't the starter in Jax (or elsewhere) next year.
    Sticking to traditions:

IF Wentz is a Philadelphia Eagle in 2021, he will be the starter. If not, bye bye PSD, I'll leave.
    "Hater" is a term used by weak minded people in the face of legitimate criticism.
    -Scott van Pelt

Quote Originally Posted by Bullseyed View Post
    [McLane] Eagles coach Doug Pederson says he’s inclined to take a year off.

Apparently he repeated this today. Wonder which coach he thinks is getting fired next year?
    Does it matter? Head coaches get fired every year.

Maybe he just wants to take a year off while still getting paid as if he was coaching the Eagles by Jeffrey Lurie.

Quote Originally Posted by QB_Eagles View Post
    Does it matter? Head coaches get fired every year.

Maybe he just wants to take a year off while still getting paid as if he was coaching the Eagles by Jeffrey Lurie.
    Well, if he's remotely competent, he'd be planning for which organization he wants to go to. You take a year off if you don't want any of the current openings. Otherwise you sign on now with like Seattle and get a good year with Russ under your belt.

Maybe he thinks Pete is out next year and doesn't want to be linked to it.

Sticking to traditions:

IF Wentz is a Philadelphia Eagle in 2021, he will be the starter. If not, bye bye PSD, I'll leave.
    "Hater" is a term used by weak minded people in the face of legitimate criticism.
    -Scott van Pelt

Well, if he's remotely competent, he'd be planning for which organization he wants to go to. You take a year off if you don't want any of the current openings. Otherwise you sign on now with like Seattle and get a good year with Russ under your belt.

Even if he knew what coaches get fired next year, it's not solely up to him where to coach.

Either way, like I said, I think it just comes down to taking a year of while still getting paid like a HC.

Maybe he’s waiting for MM to get fired so he can coach Dallas and beat philly twice a year.

Pete is signed through 2025 so i doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by NateyB24 View Post
    Pete is signed through 2025 so i doubt it.
    https://ftw.usatoday.com/2020/01/pet...ahawks-packers

If Pete Carroll won't change, the Seahawks need to move on before he wastes Russell Wilson's prime

I know I’m tired of writing about this same issue every offseason, so I can’t imagine how fed up Seahawks fans must be after watching the coaching staff let another playoff win slip away.

Seattle’s 2019 season ended the same way its 2018 season ended: With Russell Wilson trying to overcome his coaching staff and dig his team out of a hole that Pete Carroll and company created with a misguided gameplan. Just as it did in Dallas a year ago, Wilson’s valiant effort fell short and the Packers sent the Seahawks home for the offseason with a 28-23 win at Lambeau Field.

Wilson’s stat line was unsurprisingly efficient. He averaged 8.9 yards per attempt and added a total of 16.2 Expected Points, most of them coming in the second half after Green Bay had jumped out to a 28-10 lead. It was only then that the Seahawks finally LET RUSS COOK, and even then, Carroll couldn’t get out of his own way.
    No update that I saw yet for 2021, but seems to have ended the same way.

Sticking to traditions:

-Scott van Pelt

Who is the last black head coach to be hired out of the college coaching ranks?
    That's moving the goal posts, no? There aren't that many college coaches being brought to the NFL and when they do its usually because they're elite college coaches or great program builders. Who is there that has expressed interest and been looked over?

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2020/01/pet...ahawks-packers

No update that I saw yet for 2021, but seems to have ended the same way.
    I am probably in the minority but i feel like the team needs to go back to a more balanced attack like Pete wants because teams adjusted to Wilson by smothering the outside receivers.

Quote Originally Posted by manbearchef View Post
    That's moving the goal posts, no? There aren't that many college coaches being brought to the NFL and when they do its usually because they're elite college coaches or great program builders. Who is there that has expressed interest and been looked over?
    No, because I see of it as a systemic issue, and the fact that AFAIK no black coach has ever been hired as NFL head coach from the college ranks is further evidence to that. It's not even strictly about skin color, although of course it's historically based in racist slavery, but the fact that wealthy people put their offspring into positions of privilege, and the vast majority of wealthy people again due to slavery are white in the USA. So the grandson of an NFL coach can go do an unpaid/underpaid NFL assistant coaching job right out of college, while a possibly even more brilliant coaching prospect from a poor background couldn't take that opportunity even if it was presented.

It's not surprising that many white NFL coaches are there due to family status (including the ability to take unpaid/underpaid entry-level jobs), while the vast majority of black NFL coaches are ex-players, because being an ex-player is pretty much the only way to get a foot in the door without family status.

That's why I argue that the real way to get more black head coaches is to award entry-level jobs based on merit solely, and with proper compensation.

But of course the NFL owners would rather award a few token head coach positions than undermine the system they benefited off as well.
    Last edited by QB_Eagles; 01-20-2021 at 11:06 PM.

Why the assumption there's more to it than he wants to take time off?
    Sometimes people just, you know, say what they actually mean.
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

I believe Pederson will take a year off. Nothing wrong with that.

No, because I see of it as a systemic issue, and the fact that AFAIK no black coach has ever been hired as NFL head coach from the college ranks is further evidence to that. It's not even strictly about skin color, although of course it's historically based in racist slavery, but the fact that wealthy people put their offspring into positions of privilege, and the vast majority of wealthy people again due to slavery are white in the USA. So the grandson of an NFL coach can go do an unpaid/underpaid NFL assistant coaching job right out of college, while a possibly even more brilliant coaching prospect from a poor background couldn't take that opportunity even if it was presented.

It's not surprising that many white NFL coaches are there due to family status (including the ability to take unpaid/underpaid entry-level jobs), while the vast majority of black NFL coaches are ex-players, because being an ex-player is pretty much the only way to get a foot in the door without family status.

That's why I argue that the real way to get more black head coaches is to award entry-level jobs based on merit solely, and with proper compensation.

But of course the NFL owners would rather award a few token head coach positions than undermine the system they benefited off as well.
    Again, who is an example of a great black college coach who isn't being given a fair chance? Hell, David Shaw was highly coveted a few years ago but didn't want to leave Stanford. We can continue to diverge into excuses at the lower coaching level, but you specifically said college HC getting promoted to NFL HC.

I think garbage hires (like Frazier, Smith, Morris, Singletary, etc) and not overly qualified guys (like Bowles, Wilks, Joseph) are proof that skin color doesn't prevent you from benefiting by knowing the right person. Then successful guys like Tomlin, Lynn, and Flores weren't really that qualified for an HC job when they got it.

Quote Originally Posted by manbearchef View Post
    Again, who is an example of a great black college coach who isn't being given a fair chance? Hell, David Shaw was highly coveted a few years ago but didn't want to leave Stanford. We can continue to diverge into excuses at the lower coaching level, but you specifically said college HC getting promoted to NFL HC.

I think garbage hires (like Frazier, Smith, Morris, Singletary, etc) and not overly qualified guys (like Bowles, Wilks, Joseph) are proof that skin color doesn't prevent you from benefiting by knowing the right person. Then successful guys like Tomlin, Lynn, and Flores weren't really that qualified for an HC job when they got it.
    So you're arguments are that

1) Where are the accomplished black college head coaches?
    2) Black coaches become HC more so for who they know.

Those two things actually back up what I'm saying. Arguably in college football nepotism/cronyism is even more prevalent than in the NFL.

Personally I felt Bowles, Lynn in particular were very qualified when they became HC. These were long-time assistant coaches, former players, and had even served in interim/assistant HC roles.

By the way, the majority of HC hires turn out to be bad regardless of skin color. But that's more so because the impact of an individual coach is vastly overrated.

Wow:

https://www.inquirer.com/eagles/eagl...-20210120.html

As for Staley, the Eagles curiously continue to regard him as little more than a last resort.

He is loved and respected by the players, and would bring some much needed tough love back to a locker room that had started to take advantage of Pederson, who let them get away with “too much stuff that the public never heard about,” according to one team source.

According to another team source, Staley didn’t much care for the way the organization babied Wentz. Lurie and Roseman both may be concerned that if Staley was the head coach, any chance of straightening out Wentz would go out the window.

“It works against him because he wouldn’t let Carson get away with the things he’s been able to get away with,” the source said. “And Carson knows that. So, if Carson is part of the conversation, then that may not work in Duce’s favor either.”

Page 26 of 28 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 LastLast