Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 20 of 28 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast
    OK, so a rule was passed that awards comp picks to a team losing a minority coach or executive: https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ves-explained/

But I guess merely hiring one doesn't award picks, which IIRC was the initial proposal.

EDIT more articles:
    https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/n...icks-and-more/
    https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/n...eral-managers/

Honestly I think it's counter-productive because if hiring a minority HC/GM gives *another* team picks that will make it less likely to happen.
    Last edited by QB_Eagles; 01-15-2021 at 12:51 PM.

Iíd be happy with Duce tbh depending on what OC and DC they bring in

I really believe heíll make a good HC. Heís got the right temperament for it

I mean in 2016 the least coveted most made fun of hire won the super bowl and still got fired (unjustifiably of course)

Hiring a HC is like drafting a QB. Great ideas donít necessarily translate to great leadership.

Sean mcvay shouldnít have succeeded as early and often as he has. Itís an in exact science

Do I trust lurie and roseman right now? No

Would I feel more comfortable if they hired Duce? Ya I would. And thatís more about what I think of Duce as a man and leader than it is about those dufuses in the front office

Quote Originally Posted by last stand View Post
    Iíd be happy with Duce tbh depending on what OC and DC they bring in

I really believe heíll make a good HC. Heís got the right temperament for it

I mean in 2016 the least coveted most made fun of hire won the super bowl and still got fired (unjustifiably of course)

Hiring a HC is like drafting a QB. Great ideas donít necessarily translate to great leadership.

Sean mcvay shouldnít have succeeded as early and often as he has. Itís an in exact science

Do I trust lurie and roseman right now? No

Would I feel more comfortable if they hired Duce? Ya I would. And thatís more about what I think of Duce as a man and leader than it is about those dufuses in the front office
    Yeah Iím really getting on the Duce hire.

I still think he could be a yes man to the FO but it feels heís pretty well respected on the team. Heís very passionate it seems as well.

The surrounding coaching will be super important (regardless).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Blades View Post
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

Quote Originally Posted by QB_Eagles View Post
    OK, so a rule was passed that awards comp picks to a team losing a minority coach or executive: https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ves-explained/

But I guess merely hiring one doesn't award picks, which IIRC was the initial proposal.

EDIT more articles:
    https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/n...icks-and-more/
    https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/n...eral-managers/

Honestly I think it's counter-productive because if hiring a minority HC/GM gives *another* team picks that will make it less likely to happen.
    Yeah that doesn't make sense to me at all. Losing a minority coach would get you a pick? Not only does it make it so other teams don't want to provide another team a draft pick it also makes it more likely that the team themselves will try and get minority coaches off of their squad for the pick.

Does anyone know the logic behind this? Because it seems totally backwards to what a typical affirmative action policy would be like.

Quote Originally Posted by Mamba42 View Post
    Does anyone know the logic behind this? Because it seems totally backwards to what a typical affirmative action policy would be like.
    The first proposal, awarding teams draft picks for hiring minority coaches/execs, drew a lot of criticism, but the owners somehow agreed to something worse. I guess, the logic is that billionaires are out of touch?

Honestly, I think what's stopping non-white people from climbing the coaching and management ranks is that they pretty much only get their foot in the door as former players. Contrast that to guys like Sean McVay, whose grandfather already coached in the NFL, so he got on an express lane to becoming an NFL HC himself. What random kid gets an assistant position in the NFL like that?

Doug wanted Wentz according to multiple reports.

Quote Originally Posted by BDawk4Prez View Post
    This is what Iíve been saying. I think Doug wanted to keep it rolling with wentz and the eagles donít.

Lurie said it in his presser

Heís looking towards 2022 and beyond. Wentz is 28. I believe theyíll try and trade wentz tbh

Yeah that doesn't make sense to me at all. Losing a minority coach would get you a pick? Not only does it make it so other teams don't want to provide another team a draft pick it also makes it more likely that the team themselves will try and get minority coaches off of their squad for the pick.

Sounds like the NFL has put in a rule to encourage interviewing and promoting minority coaches, on the basis of their skin color rather than merit. So basically a team that has a minority coach hired away wouldn't have lost that coach if the coach had a different skin color. So the pick is compensation for that.

If the rule were the other way around, why not invent 10 more assistant coach positions, hire all minorities, get picks, draft, then fire them? Like passing coordinator versus OC versus QB coach.
    Dak: 17,634 @ 66.0%, 7.7 per att, 106+24 TD, 40 INT+34 FMB, 97.3 Rate
    Wentz: 16,811 @ 62.7%, 6.7 per att, 113+8 TD, 50 INT+58 FMB, 89.2 Rate

I'll leave PSD if Foles isn't the starter in Jax (or elsewhere) next year.
    Sticking to traditions:

IF Wentz is a Philadelphia Eagle in 2021, he will be the starter. If not, bye bye PSD, I'll leave.
    "Hater" is a term used by weak minded people in the face of legitimate criticism.
    -Scott van Pelt

Wade Phillips retired from retirement. Might be a good DC for a puppet HC.

Quote Originally Posted by QB_Eagles View Post
    Wade Phillips retired from retirement. Might be a good DC for a puppet HC.
    Lol only if they have a guy waiting in the wings. Phillips is like 200 years old

Sauces?

The Philadelphia Eagles have found themselves in search of a new head coach after Doug Pederson was surprisingly fired, and it sounds like many within the organization were not prepared for the task at hand.

Mike Garafolo of NFL Network said Tuesday that the Eagles are ďscramblingĒ to find a new head coach. The belief is that team owner Jeffrey Lurie is the only one who actually wanted to move on from Pederson.

ďThey are scrambling right now. They didnít expect to be having a coaching search,Ē Garafolo told 97.5 The Fantatic. ďThe owner who dictated the firing of (former offensive coordinator) Mike Groh last year, didnít like who Doug wanted this year. My read on the situation is that Lurie was the only one who wanted him fired.Ē

Garafolo mentioned several coaches who could be candidates to replace Pederson, but he noted that the Eagles could be ďa little late to the partyĒ on some of them. Potential candidates include Todd Bowles, Eric Bieniemy and Mike Kafka.
    https://larrybrownsports.com/footbal...ederson/571769

ďTo me, basically it says that they chose Carson (Wentz) over Doug,Ē Favre said on SiriusXM. ďAnd thatís OK. Jeffrey Lurie owns the team, he can do what he wants.

ďBut I mean, weíre not that far removed from their first Super Bowl title ever. Ever. How quickly you forget, you know? Look, the record the last few years since the Super Bowl win, has been not up to par but you can point to a lot of things that have contributed to that. But, I mean, you donít win a Super Bowl by being a bad coach. Iím sorry, you just donít.Ē

Favre seemed a little annoyed that his buddy lost his job just three years after winning the first Super Bowl in Eagles history. Thatís fair.

Lurie on Monday even admitted that Pederson didnít deserve to get fired, but he made the decision based on what was best for the organization going forward. It was clear, Lurie said, that Pedersonís plan for the future did not align with the organizationís plan and a lot of that had to do with his preferred coaching staff.
    https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelph...-doug-pederson
    Dak: 17,634 @ 66.0%, 7.7 per att, 106+24 TD, 40 INT+34 FMB, 97.3 Rate
    Wentz: 16,811 @ 62.7%, 6.7 per att, 113+8 TD, 50 INT+58 FMB, 89.2 Rate

I'll leave PSD if Foles isn't the starter in Jax (or elsewhere) next year.
    Sticking to traditions:

IF Wentz is a Philadelphia Eagle in 2021, he will be the starter. If not, bye bye PSD, I'll leave.
    "Hater" is a term used by weak minded people in the face of legitimate criticism.
    -Scott van Pelt

Motivation to hire and develop more minority coaches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One of Doug's biggest faults is being 100% loyal to his guys. He wanted to keep bad coaches and even promote them. Wouldn't surprise me one bit if he never wanted to bench Wentz. Howie is the one who drafted Hurts, right? It would make sense if Howie was the one demanding Hurts play over Wentz.

Howie the Weasel

Page 20 of 28 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast