Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 280 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast

2021 Bears Off Season thread

Do you think the Bears will promote Champ Kelly to GM at the risk of not getting two extra 3rd rounders? If Champ is legit I think that will be more important
    Last edited by Stunner; 01-11-2021 at 11:18 AM.

Would like to get a couple extra 3's, personally. I think we need the extra ammo. Could come in handy for a QB trade or draft trade up.

As far as the cap hell stuff goes. The Rams should have been in it for the last several years after the Donald and Goff extensions, but their GM knows how to move the money around via restructures and cuts, then still managed to fit Ramsey in there. Other teams, like the Saints and Cowboys have been doing this **** for about the last decade.

Looking at the Cohen extension, I don’t think Pace is too worried about the cap. If he was, why would he have given out that contract. It also told me that Pace (and probably Nagy) weren’t too worried about their jobs.

That said, I think that move is when I really started questioning Pace/Nagy and the personnel decisions. Cohen seems like a totally replaceable guy - probably in the draft which would come much cheaper than what Cohen was signed for. Moves like that make signing guys like ARob harder. It was a total head-scratcher on the back of a few other odd moves, IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Coach100 View Post
    Looking at the Cohen extension, I don’t think Pace is too worried about the cap. If he was, why would he have given out that contract. It also told me that Pace (and probably Nagy) weren’t too worried about their jobs.

That said, I think that move is when I really started questioning Pace/Nagy and the personnel decisions. Cohen seems like a totally replaceable guy - probably in the draft which would come much cheaper than what Cohen was signed for. Moves like that make signing guys like ARob harder. It was a total head-scratcher on the back of a few other odd moves, IMO.

Teams had pretty much neutralized him, Nagy barely gave him the ball, when they announced that extension. Really made no sense to me.

ARob definitely gone IMO.

Unless the bears deal for watson or another franchise qb.

also:
    https://streamable.com/4uf0zb

fml

Click here to register!

Hope to see some new posters around here soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach100 View Post
    Quality over quantity is nice - in a vacuum. Salary caps force tough decisions. Sometime you can’t always have the top quality. I never said ARob wouldn’t make a better impact than those two players. I simply gave an alternate use of the money to create a WR group that could produce at a solid level. IMO, ARob, Mooney and bust is a bad idea. ARob got wiped out today, in part because NO only cared about one WR. You know how to help combat that? Multiple options. But CHI can’t afford those other options after paying ARob 17M+ per year.

And how is “Top X” a bad way to measure salary when players/agents push for salaries based on those exact things? For instance, paying ARob top 5 money in 2021 puts him at around 17M (in front of Adams). Paying him top 10 money puts him at about 15.7M (equal to K. Allen). Paying him top 15 money is about 13.5M (ahead of Diggs). And again, I think ARob is really good, but not elite. If CHI can get him in the 15M range I would like it a lot more than at 17M. The cap is just that tight.

Here's my solution. Quality & quantity:

WR1 – Sign Nelson Agholor to a 3/18M with 12M guaranteed to include a 7M signing bonus. 1st year salary is 1M guaranteed. Agholor is a versatile outside WR with good speed and he has been consistent over the last 5 years. He has a projected stat line of 850 yards & 9 TD´s. 3.5M CAP hit.

TE2 – Sign Jonnu Smith to a 4/40M with 23M guaranteed including a 18M signing bonus (1.5M guaranteed salary) and an opt out after year 2. He is one of the sleepers in this class, has decent size (6.3/250Lbs), can run block, and has 7 TD´s this year. His YAC is particularly good and he can complement Kmet perfectly in 2 TE alignments. 6M CAP hit.

You may need a larger contract for Agholor but he is a great consolation prize.

Consistent at being what... mediocre? That would be a travesty replacing ARob with NA. Dude is a good number 3.

Don’t see anyway pace doesn’t either sign a a Rob long term or transition tag him

Quote Originally Posted by KG2TB View Post
    Don’t see anyway pace doesn’t either sign a a Rob long term or transition tag him
    ARob may not agree with that strategy:

https://twitter.com/JJStankevitz/sta...962674696?s=19

Yeah i wish players had a way to reject the tag.

Refuse to sign him to a deal, he plays, he plays great, then you tag him.

So ****ed.

I hope the bears do not use the tag. Let him go or sign him to a deal. (or is the transition tag different from franchise tag? I could be mistaken)

Click here to register!

Quote Originally Posted by blams View Post
    Yeah i wish players had a way to reject the tag.

Refuse to sign him to a deal, he plays, he plays great, then you tag him.

So ****ed.

I hope the bears do not use the tag. Let him go or sign him to a deal. (or is the transition tag different from franchise tag? I could be mistaken)
    The transition tag and franchise tag are very different. Transition just means the Bears have the option to match any deal that he receives in free agency.

Happened in 2018 with Fuller agreeing to a contract with Green Bay.

Quote Originally Posted by La_bibbers View Post
    The transition tag and franchise tag are very different. Transition just means the Bears have the option to match any deal that he receives in free agency.

Happened in 2018 with Fuller agreeing to a contract with Green Bay.
    Ah, ok. Thanks for clarifying!

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Click here to register!

Page 4 of 280 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast