Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 52 of 153 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462102152 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dabears34ft View Post
    I know most people aren't in love with him, but we should target Mack Jones in the 2nd round.

Everyone thinks that you need a fast QB in this day and age, but when those QB's lose their legs, which will probably happen in their low 30's, they won't be nearly as effective. Jones is your prototypical Pro Style QB. The type of guy that could be good well into his 40's. He also won't cost us draft capital, and if he projects into round 2, we can use our 1st round pick on another big need.
    I like what I saw of him this year. Made some great tough throws that made me think he could excel at the next level. But the 1+ years of experience scares me. The track record for guys with just one full year as a college starter is not great. Obviously you aren’t taking a huge risk with a 2nd pick but the bears need to fill other holes.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry34 View Post
    I like what I saw of him this year. Made some great tough throws that made me think he could excel at the next level. But the 1+ years of experience scares me. The track record for guys with just one full year as a college starter is not great. Obviously you aren’t taking a huge risk with a 2nd pick but the bears need to fill other holes.
    That’s why I sign Fitzpatrick to a 1 year 2nd year option contract.

Either the Bears are too scared to let Rodgers leave the his job as D-Line coach or their too stupid to realize the in-house talent they have.

Quote Originally Posted by flclfanman View Post
    Either the Bears are too scared to let Rodgers leave the his job as D-Line coach or their too stupid to realize the in-house talent they have.
    Or maybe - just maybe - they know more than us about Rodgers. For all we know Rodgers is a great position coach, but not a good candidate as a coordinator. Or maybe they think they can get an equally good DC as he would be, but not as good of a DLine coach. So promoting him would be a net loss on the coaching side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Coach100 View Post
    Or maybe - just maybe - they know more than us about Rodgers. For all we know Rodgers is a great position coach, but not a good candidate as a coordinator. Or maybe they think they can get an equally good DC as he would be, but not as good of a DLine coach. So promoting him would be a net loss on the coaching side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah, the fact is no one could say how qualified Rodgers is to be a DC. Seemingly a great position coach but do any of us know how good he could scheme against opponents and call plays during live game action? None of us could answer those questions.

That said, it wouldn’t surprise me if the bears are too stupid to realize what they have considering they let Staley go.

Personally not that interested in Mac Jones. As mentioned before, guys like that are a tough eval given the talent they're surrounded with, plus I don't think you can really make it work in this era of the league without some mobility from your QB. Brady is about the only exception.

Quote Originally Posted by KG2TB View Post
    Yeah, the fact is no one could say how qualified Rodgers is to be a DC. Seemingly a great position coach but do any of us know how good he could scheme against opponents and call plays during live game action? None of us could answer those questions.

That said, it wouldn’t surprise me if the bears are too stupid to realize what they have considering they let Staley go.
    Nagy basically picks his staff, no? There's a very real chance he doesn't know how good a guy like Rodgers is...he did settle for Pagano, though that was after missing out on Bowles, who's been awesome for Tampa. At the very least Rodgers is a fantastic DL coach when you consider the production he's gotten from day 3 picks, UDFA's, and bargain bin FA's.

I guess the job is appealing to outside candidates when you look at the talent still here, but maybe not as much when you realize you're joining a lame duck GM & HC.

Quote Originally Posted by DamnGoat View Post
    Nagy basically picks his staff, no? There's a very real chance he doesn't know how good a guy like Rodgers is...he did settle for Pagano, though that was after missing out on Bowles, who's been awesome for Tampa. At the very least Rodgers is a fantastic DL coach when you consider the production he's gotten from day 3 picks, UDFA's, and bargain bin FA's.

I guess the job is appealing to outside candidates when you look at the talent still here, but maybe not as much when you realize you're joining a lame duck GM & HC.
    Yep, Nagy is in control of his staff, which is not very comforting lol

The guy they’re looking at is also who they looked to be head coach 3 years ago

Personally not that interested in Mac Jones. As mentioned before, guys like that are a tough eval given the talent they're surrounded with, plus I don't think you can really make it work in this era of the league without some mobility from your QB. Brady is about the only exception.
    I don't think these QB's can't work. They just are a dying bread in the college game. I'll take a Pro Style QB who can work a pocket and limit bad sacks any day over a mobile QB that will lose a big part of his game in his mid 30's. For me this highlight shows and elite understanding of the game. He gets the ball out so fast. He uses his hips repeatedly to control the defense, and quickly gets the ball to the openings. His pocket presence was elite. He's accuracy was elite. He understands how to work the short game. That's a real QB. We have just forgotten what that looks like because it's not the norm anymore.

You can't teach having a brain that can read and react to a defense as quick as he does. That's his elite talent, and it's one of the hardest elite talents to find. That's why great QB's are few and far between.

I think Mac can succeed but I don't want him on the Bears because....Matt Nagy. I want Mac to have a chance to succeed in the NFL and that probably is not going to be in Chicago.
    Screw sabermetics.

Pass.

Wade needs to be the guy, IMO. He has decades worth of experience and proven success transforming defenses. He also has a winning record as a HC. Instant guaranteed upgrade over Pagano to coach the defense.

Quote Originally Posted by dabears34ft View Post
    I don't think these QB's can't work. They just are a dying bread in the college game.
    Not saying it's impossible, but given the speed of defenses, D-lines especially, and the spread being everywhere, it's gonna be tough for any immobile QB nowadays. The situation will have to be perfect for them.
    I'll take a Pro Style QB who can work a pocket and limit bad sacks any day over a mobile QB that will lose a big part of his game in his mid 30's.
    Aaron Rodgers is 37, Russell Wilson is 32, and to a lesser extent, Tannehill is also 32. Being in their 30's hasn't really impacted that part of their game. They were never overly reliant on their legs to begin with, but the ability to create plays outside of structure is still there.
    We have just forgotten what that looks like because it's not the norm anymore.
    Brady is still around, so is Brees, Big Ben, and Rivers...and you can argue that those last 3 are all toast. The only guys like this anymore are all old as balls because the spread offense is here to stay. Scouts aren't targeting QB's like this because there are very few systems in the league where they fit anymore. Look at Goff as an example...he's not very mobile and even with an elite play caller and high end talent around him, his presence limits them quite a bit.

A decade ago this is a different discussion, but now I just don't see how this type of QB fits into the current style of offenses throughout the league.
    Last edited by DamnGoat; 01-19-2021 at 07:09 PM.