Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 106 to 120 of 184
  1. #106
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    38,152
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    Because of trade classes I make cabinets, brackets, can work on my car, fix my house, repair things that break. Because of home ec classes I can keep balanced books and cook myself and my family meals. There is NOTHING wrong with learning practical things, just as there is nothing wrong with learning art or music or "impractical" things. Both are good for making better complete people.

    Looking back I wish I had taken the offer to be a garbage man when I was 18 rather than going to college. I would almost certainly have been happier and had a better life.
    The first part has absolutely nothing to do with the conversation. We are not talking about making complete people, we are talking about a profession.

    Otherwise you’d have to agree that all those areas of study that Sluggo and other conservatives deride such as Philosophy, Political Science, Theater, etc. are also good for making better complete people...

    Why looking back? You can still switch professions. If you think being a Garbage man is a better life for you, go be a Garbage man.

  2. #107
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    7,221
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    Because of trade classes I make cabinets, brackets, can work on my car, fix my house, repair things that break. Because of home ec classes I can keep balanced books and cook myself and my family meals. There is NOTHING wrong with learning practical things, just as there is nothing wrong with learning art or music or "impractical" things. Both are good for making better complete people.

    Looking back I wish I had taken the offer to be a garbage man when I was 18 rather than going to college. I would almost certainly have been happier and had a better life.
    Better complete people………says it all.

    …………

    If you ever ant to hear how incapable some people are around the house, ask a real estate broker for some stories. Some are hard to believe. And pretty funny.

  3. #108
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    38,152
    Quote Originally Posted by Sluggo1 View Post
    Better complete people………says it all.

    …………

    If you ever ant to hear how incapable some people are around the house, ask a real estate broker for some stories. Some are hard to believe. And pretty funny.
    I thought we were talking about going to trade schools for a profession? Going to a trade school to learn how to be a plumber if you’re not going to work as a plumber simply to be a well rounded person is every bit as wasteful financially as going to college to study something that you won’t do as a profession...

  4. #109
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    2,684
    Quote Originally Posted by Sluggo1 View Post
    Better complete people………says it all.

    …………

    If you ever ant to hear how incapable some people are around the house, ask a real estate broker for some stories. Some are hard to believe. And pretty funny.
    And you assume these professions = better, more successful people. With all of this talk, I can also pull out the “I’m an engineer and can tell you why X is stupid” with the work of some trades.

    It’s a stupid pissing match. Do what makes you happy, and be a lifelong learner. Degrading anyone in pursuit of knowledge is stupid.

  5. #110
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    7,221
    Quote Originally Posted by debo View Post
    And you assume these professions = better, more successful people. With all of this talk, I can also pull out the “I’m an engineer and can tell you why X is stupid” with the work of some trades.

    It’s a stupid pissing match. Do what makes you happy, and be a lifelong learner. Degrading anyone in pursuit of knowledge is stupid.
    I go by what I see. I get around a lot, I do a lot, I interact with many people.

    I am not degrading anyone other than the colleges themselves. Many students are getting shortchanged big time and they don't even realize it. If I don't hire someone for a job because they came in for an interview wearing a T-shirt or flip flops or had their BFF wait for them in the lobby or were checking their phone during the interview……it's not like I'm going to take them under my wing and smooth out their rough edges. I get rid of them, they move on and they never know why they failed. Adults should know better. Children do not. And it's not just me…no one would hire these people for a decent jobn.

    Based on what I see, all empirical data, I will concede that, colleges are letting a lot of these kids down and I can give you numerous examples.

    I don't need to take your advise (Do what makes you happy, and be a lifelong learner) since that is what I do every day.

  6. #111
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    37,223
    Quote Originally Posted by Sluggo1 View Post

    …………

    Finally, why do you think Trump was trying to change or cut Obamacare??? Clue us all in.
    To feed corporate and lobby.

    Duh

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    RAIDERS, SHARKS, WARRIORS

    "i don't believe in mysteries but still i pray for my sister, when speaking to the higher power that listens, to the lifeless vision of freedom everytime we're imprisoned, to the righteous victims of people of a higher position" - planet asia, old timer thoughts

    "God is Universal he is the Ruler Universal" - gangstarr (rip guru), robbin hood theory

    "don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" - bob marley, zion train

  7. #112
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    36,027
    Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    The first part has absolutely nothing to do with the conversation. We are not talking about making complete people, we are talking about a profession.

    Otherwise you’d have to agree that all those areas of study that Sluggo and other conservatives deride such as Philosophy, Political Science, Theater, etc. are also good for making better complete people...

    Why looking back? You can still switch professions. If you think being a Garbage man is a better life for you, go be a Garbage man.
    I thought we were talking about education not about profession.

    I said I moved to get my kids a more diverse education and specifically included art in the reasons.

    Because had I become a garbage man at 18 I'd be fully vested now and probably spent a lot more time on my boat than I actually did. Now the unions have lost a lot of power and I don't know the head of the union anymore

  8. #113
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    36,027
    Quote Originally Posted by nastynice View Post
    To feed corporate and lobby.

    Duh

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Obamacare has fed a LOT of corporations huge money. There is a reason they switched to supporting it after fighting hard against the early drafts.

    Trump was against it, I assume, because Fox told him to be.

  9. #114
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    36,027
    Quote Originally Posted by debo View Post
    And you assume these professions = better, more successful people. With all of this talk, I can also pull out the “I’m an engineer and can tell you why X is stupid” with the work of some trades.

    It’s a stupid pissing match. Do what makes you happy, and be a lifelong learner. Degrading anyone in pursuit of knowledge is stupid.
    I absolutely agree, do what makes you happy (if you can) and keep learning until the day you die. One issue with our education system is that the media and parents and schools and government are constantly telling kids that they are failures if they don't go to college and the result is that kids who were bad/uninterested students realize that when they are 6 figures in debt more often than not 54% of college students never graduate (and end up with loans they hate), 41% of college graduates have jobs that don't require a degree at all (and have loans they hate), and 73% of college graduates get jobs that their degree is not for. College is not being done right.

  10. #115
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    38,152
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    I thought we were talking about education not about profession.

    I said I moved to get my kids a more diverse education and specifically included art in the reasons.

    Because had I become a garbage man at 18 I'd be fully vested now and probably spent a lot more time on my boat than I actually did. Now the unions have lost a lot of power and I don't know the head of the union anymore
    Sluggo's diatribe is about college being a waste in producing competent workers and you should instead go to a trade school.

    We are talking about specifically schools. Learning how to do plumbing as a means of making you more well rounded is no different than learning an instrument or studying philosophy.

    If your argument is it makes you a more well rounded person for having done it, then how can you possibly be against the idea that studying philosophy or art makes you a more well rounded person? Thus, if your argument is it's not a waste to study those things (such as plumbing) because it makes you a more well rounded person, how can you not say the same of philosophy?

    Or are you saying someone who learned how to do a trade is a more well rounded person than someone who studied philosophy or learned an instrument?

  11. #116
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    West Side
    Posts
    13,081
    Quote Originally Posted by debo View Post
    And you assume these professions = better, more successful people. With all of this talk, I can also pull out the “I’m an engineer and can tell you why X is stupid” with the work of some trades.

    It’s a stupid pissing match. Do what makes you happy, and be a lifelong learner. Degrading anyone in pursuit of knowledge is stupid.
    Not only that. Most people identify with their occupation, whatever it is. We need to respect people’s line of work instead of ridiculing them because we are self conscious with ourselves and need to make ourselves feel better about ourselves. Absolutely pathetic for grown adults to ridicule other’s professions. You would never do that in person.


    The Lost Boys of PSD

  12. #117
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    38,152
    Quote Originally Posted by statquo View Post
    Not only that. Most people identify with their occupation, whatever it is. We need to respect people’s line of work instead of ridiculing them because we are self conscious with ourselves and need to make ourselves feel better about ourselves. Absolutely pathetic for grown adults to ridicule other’s professions. You would never do that in person.
    Well the pendulum is swinging the other way it feels. I have seen far more people make fun of or get made fun of for Philosophy, Theater, or other College Degrees than I have people being made fun of for being Plumbers, Welders, etc. lately.

    If we go by this forum, it's probably 95% people ripping on the college grads and 5% people ripping on the blue collar professions.

  13. #118
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    The Boogie Down
    Posts
    105,270

  14. #119
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    36,027
    Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    Sluggo's diatribe is about college being a waste in producing competent workers and you should instead go to a trade school.

    We are talking about specifically schools. Learning how to do plumbing as a means of making you more well rounded is no different than learning an instrument or studying philosophy.

    If your argument is it makes you a more well rounded person for having done it, then how can you possibly be against the idea that studying philosophy or art makes you a more well rounded person? Thus, if your argument is it's not a waste to study those things (such as plumbing) because it makes you a more well rounded person, how can you not say the same of philosophy?

    Or are you saying someone who learned how to do a trade is a more well rounded person than someone who studied philosophy or learned an instrument?
    You are replying to me and saying "you" to things I did not say nor infer.

    I think all learning makes for better people, the more diverse the better.

  15. #120
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    39,701
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    Don't laugh dude. That could be our next president. Donald can take pictures of her sitting on his 78 year old lap as he grabs her thighs and puts his hands around her inappropriately. That can be among their campaign pictures and commercials. Friendly remember of how good things were from 2016-2020.
    Last edited by metswon69; 01-11-2021 at 09:31 PM.

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •