Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 105 of 223
  1. #91
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    51,285


    "You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

  2. #92
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    51,285


    "You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

  3. #93
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    51,285


    "You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

  4. #94
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    39,749
    Quote Originally Posted by wdwyer View Post
    At this point, I can just say I am glad I don't have the job to figure out those numbers. I am horrible at math. I can default to Sandy and Porter to see if it can work. LOL!
    I dont see how the Mets sign Springer now unless he comes down significantly on his asking price. Jackie Bradley Jr is someone the Mets have had talks with. I wouldnt be surprised if they signed him.

  5. #95
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Tuscaloosa, Alabama
    Posts
    7,357
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Hardball View Post
    Bradley does not fit, we do not need another LHH
    That's the one thing I don't like about Bradley. The fact that he is a lefty hitter. But he will play centerfield for many years to come and eventually become a Gold Glover.

    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69
    I dont see how the Mets sign Springer now unless he comes down significantly on his asking price. Jackie Bradley Jr is someone the Mets have had talks with. I wouldnt be surprised if they signed him.
    I see that happening too.
    Last edited by erickench; 01-07-2021 at 05:40 PM.

  6. #96
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Bethlehem
    Posts
    42,233
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    You’ll always have 2008.
    Those were the days! Of PSD too!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Blades View Post
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

  7. #97
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Bethlehem
    Posts
    42,233
    Carrasco is such a good get for you guys too.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Blades View Post
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

  8. #98
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    51,285
    Grading the Mets' Blockbuster Trade for Francisco Lindor

    Long-rumored to be trading its star shortstop, Cleveland finally dealt Francisco Lindor. The 27-year-old star—along with veteran righty Carlos Carrasco—is heading to the Mets, who go from the fringe of the playoff race to instant World Series contenders. Let's grade the deal for both sides.
    The Deal

    Mets acquire: SS Francisco Lindor, RHP Carlos Carrasco
    Cleveland acquires: SS Amed Rosario, 2B/SS Andrés Giménez, RHP Josh Wolf, OF Isaiah Greene
    Grading New York's Side of the Deal

    The Mets are the kings of New York this offseason. Francisco Lindor is one of the best shortstops in baseball and one of the game's most charismatic superstars. He belongs in the Big Apple, with his magnetic smile stretching the width of an FDR Drive billboard. This is the player Steve Cohen promised to get when he bought the Mets and became baseball's richest owner.

    There are clear parallels here with the Mookie Betts trade the Dodgers made nearly 11 months ago, and we all saw how that move turned out for Los Angeles. Like Betts last year, Lindor is entering his age-27 season with one season left on his contract. Surely, the Mets are going to do whatever they can to extend Lindor long-term before he reaches free agency in November. The players New York gave up—not one, but two controllable young shortstops—indicate Cohen is going to throw his financial clout behind Lindor to be their shortstop for years to come and not just 2021. The Mets have the best shortstop in New York since Derek Jeter. There's no way they'll give him up.

    On top of that, the Mets get righthander Carlos Carrasco to complete their exceptional rotation. Affectionately called Cookie, he is universally adored throughout the sport and consistently has been one of the game's better starting pitchers. Since his breakout 2014 campaign, Carrasco's 129 ERA+ ranks 10th among starters with at least 150 career starts. He was diagnosed with leukemia in June 2019 and endured three months of treatment before returning to the mound as a reliever that September. In 2020, he proved he still could pitch at a high level, posting a 2.91 ERA across 12 starts. At least until Noah Syndergaard recovers from the Tommy John surgery he had in late March, Carrasco will slot in as the Mets' No. 2 starter behind ace Jacob deGrom.

    Unlike Lindor, Carrasco, 34, is under contract through at least the end of 2022, with a team option for 2023, at an $11.75 million average annual value. That gives the Mets roughly $24 million before hitting the $210 million luxury tax threshold, per Spotrac. Meaning, without getting penalized, they theoretically can still add another marquee free agent, such as George Springer, DJ LeMahieu or Trevor Bauer.

    Another benefit of this trade: New York can move Jeff McNeil back to second base, his primary position, and park J.D. Davis at third base. This, in turn, also makes Dom Smith their everyday left fielder, since as of now there is no National League DH for Pete Alonso to play.

    All of this, together, makes the Mets one of the top contenders in the National League, even if they are still not the favorites for the NL East—the Braves still have a strong case for that title. And unlike other Mets trades in recent years—such as the dreadful Robinson Canó deal—this move does not hamstring them for the future.

    Grade: A


    Grading Cleveland's Side of the Deal

    This is a cold, heartless trade for Cleveland, sending two fan favorites to the Mets and essentially giving up on 2021 (and probably a few seasons after that, too). But from a pure business perspective, this is not a bad deal. We already knew Cleveland was not going to keep Lindor beyond the 2021 season because it didn't want to pay him what he's worth. So, instead of finishing in third place, letting him walk in free agency and getting nothing but draft-pick compensation, Cleveland improved its chances of contending again after a few down years.

    Through this emotionless lens, shrewdly including Carrasco made this trade better. Cleveland cut its payroll, and presumably, giving up a solid No. 2 starter netted them at least one additional player. Getting Amed Rosario is fine. He's a decent MLB shortstop with the potential to be above average. The real gem here is Andrés Giménez, who was the Mets' No. 2 prospect last season. Just 22, Giménez is a defensive whiz with strong instincts and speed. His power upside is limited but he has impressive bat control that should make him a good contact hitter. Josh Wolf, a right-handed pitching prospect, has a live arm and a fastball that sits in the mid 90s and hits 97 mph. With the way Cleveland has developed pitchers over the last decade, there's no reason to bet against the 20-year-old Wolf.

    Ultimately we cannot ignore the emotional cost that comes with Cleveland's trading the face of its franchise and the lovable Cookie. This one surely hurts Clevelanders. But hey, at least they have the Browns!

    Grade: C+
    https://www.si.com/mlb/2021/01/07/fr...mets-cleveland


    "You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

  9. #99
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    102
    Quote Originally Posted by ShinobiNYC View Post
    I disagree. the Mets can still go over the luxury tax threshold once and then reset it next year (once the FAs leave).

    Especially since the Mets are still 2 moves away from really being the favorites in the NL East.

    And congrats btw on the Lindor / Carrasco trade. Smart and important moves by Cohen and Alderson for now and the future of the franchise.
    Only problem with that is the $20 mil that gets added back Cano thanks to that Skell BVW

  10. #100
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    13,350
    Bittersweet for me.

    I fell in love with Gimenez. I’m very sad to see him go, I hope he flourishes in Cleveland.

    Everything I’ve watched or seen of Carrasco and Lindor has been great. I’m happy to have them.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  11. #101
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    39,749

  12. #102
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    51,285


    "You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

  13. #103
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    71,398
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    Omg

  14. #104
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    370
    Quote Originally Posted by erickench View Post
    He won't be coming to the Mets. As of right now there is $24.245 million in Luxury Tax space available. Just enough to sign Bradley and another player. Why we wasted $15 million on Matz and Syndergaard I'll never understand.
    They could offer Springer a back-loaded contract. He got 18 million in 2019. Offer him that in 2021 and then 4 years at 26 million and a vesting option for a sixth year with a buyout for a few more million if it does not vest. You could get to $150 million with vesting or $125 million without. I doubt anyone (including the Blue Jays) match it.

    Also, if the Mets are no longer a bidder for Bauer and the Blue Jays are, I cannot see the Blue Jays signing both Bauer and Springer.
    Last edited by Halfmiler2; 01-07-2021 at 06:24 PM.

  15. #105
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Brooklyn New York
    Posts
    22,394
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Hardball View Post
    Are you keeping JD in LF then? or a platoon
    DJ gives a lot of versatility and the ability to play 2B/3B. McNeil can also play some LF at a good level. Use LF as a rotation between a bunch of different guys, especially if there’s no DH next year.

    It also depends where JDs defense is less bad, LF or 3B. Let the FO decide that.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If Trump can become president with no political background then I don't understand why I need a resumé

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •