Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 120 of 212 FirstFirst ... 2070110118119120121122130170 ... LastLast
Results 1,786 to 1,800 of 3169
  1. #1786
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    3,299
    Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    California has a larger state economy than Texas, and New York has a larger state economy than Florida...

    Both California and New York have higher median income by household than Texas and Florida:

    https://worldpopulationreview.com/st...ncome-by-state

    In fact, it’s pretty much all liberal states at the top and conservative ones at the bottom.

    California has a lower poverty rate than Texas or Florida (though none are doing too well):

    https://worldpopulationreview.com/st...-rate-by-state

    In fact, the top is again littered with liberal states and the bottom with conservative ones.

    Not sure what the argument is but California has a bigger economy, less people in poverty, and a higher median household income than either Texas or Florida.
    That's like saying "A New York trash man makes more than a Texas teacher." No kidding... the cost of living is out of this world different.

    That's why states increase their minimum wage higher than the federal minimum wage, because they take into account the cost of living. Just because a trash man makes more in NY doesn't mean his qualify of life is going to be equal to someone making the same amount of money in Texas.

    My sister bought a house in California. It's only about 1600 square feet but because she lives in LA county, she paid $675,000 for it. In Texas, I can buy one hell of a house for that much... My house was only $350,000 and it is over 1.5x the size of hers and I own 1.5 acres of land.

    Also, having a larger state economy isn't the best indicator to use to determine a prosperous one. There are a lot of economic variables to consider. This isn't even taking into account the debt... check this link out: https://www.forbes.com/sites/andrewd...h=44a7cf0078a3

    Look at that list... California ranks in 9th... but almost all of them are from Blue states. Notice a trend?
    2015 Bull's Mock Trade Game Championship Team

    San Antonio Spurs

    PG: Chris Paul | Patty Mills | Jose Calderon
    SG: Khris Middleton | J.J. Redick | Iman Shumpert
    SF: DeMarre Carroll | P.J. Tucker | Anthony Morrow
    PF: Tim Duncan | Carlos Boozer | Kyle O'Quinn
    C : Al Horford | Rudy Gobert

  2. #1787
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    38,087
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue6 View Post
    In my experience most MAGA types are uneducated and have subnormal IQ's. Might just be the Hoosier variant. Some of them tend to drool a bit too.

    Oh, and given the support rendered to traitorist agendas and issues, I am happy to be counted a troll. There are no apparent redeeming qualities to these people or their movement.
    Nobody learns from a position of contempt.

  3. #1788
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    America
    Posts
    99,444
    Can someone explain to Republicans that ET was the good guy?

    https://twitter.com/rncresearch/stat...397380096?s=21

  4. #1789
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Location
    Near Indy
    Posts
    515
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    Nobody learns from a position of contempt.
    You are correct of course. I suppose I should stop venting my frustration and try to reach out to people. Particularly my family. Have a reunion to go to in a few months. I suppose not everyone has those but on side of the family all gathers at a cousin's home on the lake and we eat and socialize. If I were to be blunt in expressing my opinions it would not go well. Finding some common ground and working into a discussion would likely be more beneficial. I don't think anyone but a cousin who is a college professor would agree with much I truly believe.

    In any event, I do realize I am not getting anywhere with my anger over the situations we find ourselves in. I will try to be more constructive in my comments. I'm just angry. But it serves no purpose.
    Last edited by Blue6; 05-06-2021 at 01:16 PM.

  5. #1790
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    41,662
    Quote Originally Posted by Redrum187 View Post
    That's like saying "A New York trash man makes more than a Texas teacher." No kidding... the cost of living is out of this world different.

    That's why states increase their minimum wage higher than the federal minimum wage, because they take into account the cost of living. Just because a trash man makes more in NY doesn't mean his qualify of life is going to be equal to someone making the same amount of money in Texas.

    My sister bought a house in California. It's only about 1600 square feet but because she lives in LA county, she paid $675,000 for it. In Texas, I can buy one hell of a house for that much... My house was only $350,000 and it is over 1.5x the size of hers and I own 1.5 acres of land.

    Also, having a larger state economy isn't the best indicator to use to determine a prosperous one. There are a lot of economic variables to consider. This isn't even taking into account the debt... check this link out: https://www.forbes.com/sites/andrewd...h=44a7cf0078a3

    Look at that list... California ranks in 9th... but almost all of them are from Blue states. Notice a trend?
    Except I already covered the cost of living:

    Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    Actually when adjusting for cost of living all 4 are near the bottom:

    https://flowingdata.com/2021/03/25/i...ost-of-living/

    But both New York and California are ahead of Florida. So if your argument is when adjusting for cost of living you make way more in Texas or Florida relatively, it’s a big Miss.

    Bolded: I wasn’t the one who framed it that way: you guys did with all your “Florida and Texas are so much better than California and New York” nonsense. Thus I’m assuming you’ll cease trying to make such an erroneous argument.

    Even adjusting for cost of living, someone in Texas or Florida has no more purchasing power relative to their salary than someone in California or New York.

    As for the housing being cheaper in Texas, that's not a knock against California you realize that right? The housing is more expensive because it's more desirable. More people want to live in that area so they can charge more for housing. That's like saying bum**** West Virginia is better than Saks 5th Ave because it's cheaper. It's cheaper for a reason...
    Last edited by valade16; 05-06-2021 at 06:33 PM.

  6. #1791
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    38,087
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue6 View Post
    You are correct of course. I suppose I should stop venting my frustration and try to reach out to people. Particularly my family. Have a reunion to go to in a few months. I suppose not everyone has those but on side of the family all gathers at a cousin's home on the lake and we eat and socialize. If I were to be blunt in expressing my opinions it would not go well. Finding some common ground and working into a discussion would likely be more beneficial. I don't think anyone but a cousin who is a college professor would agree with much I truly believe.

    In any event, I do realize I am not getting anywhere with my anger over the situations we find ourselves in. I will try to be more constructive in my comments. I'm just angry. But it serves no purpose.
    Well said. And keep in mind that most people are not thinking much outside of themselves and their immediate family, and most political opinions are just repeating what they have heard from friends/family/media.

  7. #1792
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    America
    Posts
    99,444
    So watermarks are out. Now the grifters are looking for “Bamboo in the ballots”.

  8. #1793
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    9,515
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    Well said. And keep in mind that most people are not thinking much outside of themselves and their immediate family, and most political opinions are just repeating what they have heard from friends/family/media.
    That said, it is very difficult to maintain equilibrium when the civility does not go both ways. I simply chose to stop interacting with those few, and, yes, there is a cost.

  9. #1794
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    3,299
    Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    Except I already covered the cost of living:




    Even adjusting for cost of living, someone in Texas or Florida has no more purchasing power relative to their salary than someone in California or New York.

    As for the housing being cheaper in Texas, that's not a knock against California you realize that right? The housing is more expensive because it's more desirable. More people want to live in that area so they can charge more for housing. That's like saying bum**** West Virginia is better than Saks 5th Ave because it's cheaper. It's cheaper for a reason...
    Who is Nathan Yau? I took a look at his adjusted income and see Texas is higher than California, but I don't know how he arrived at that conclusion. To say say the purchasing power is equivalent isn't true whatsoever.

    As for your housing comparison, you're saying a 1500 square foot house in Compton California is more desirable than a brand new house on an acre of land with 2000 square feet and THAT'S why it cost more?

    Housing is cheap here because we literally have all the resources for building here. Housing is expensive there, even the most undesirable homes go for an insane amount of money. You can attribute that to being more "desirable" and ignore all other variables if you want...

    I know you think a bigger economy means it's better (which isn't necessarily true), but you realize California growth is a negative 3.5% at a time when the economy seems to be on the rise? You realize they are in debt as well? In Texas, it is illegal for them to go into debt. It's part of their state constitution.
    Last edited by Redrum187; 05-07-2021 at 09:31 AM.
    2015 Bull's Mock Trade Game Championship Team

    San Antonio Spurs

    PG: Chris Paul | Patty Mills | Jose Calderon
    SG: Khris Middleton | J.J. Redick | Iman Shumpert
    SF: DeMarre Carroll | P.J. Tucker | Anthony Morrow
    PF: Tim Duncan | Carlos Boozer | Kyle O'Quinn
    C : Al Horford | Rudy Gobert

  10. #1795
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    3,299
    I'm assuming the reason gas is also more expensive in California is because "it's more desirable" as well.
    2015 Bull's Mock Trade Game Championship Team

    San Antonio Spurs

    PG: Chris Paul | Patty Mills | Jose Calderon
    SG: Khris Middleton | J.J. Redick | Iman Shumpert
    SF: DeMarre Carroll | P.J. Tucker | Anthony Morrow
    PF: Tim Duncan | Carlos Boozer | Kyle O'Quinn
    C : Al Horford | Rudy Gobert

  11. #1796
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    41,662
    Quote Originally Posted by Redrum187 View Post
    Who is Nathan Yau? I took a look at his adjusted income and see Texas is higher than California, but I don't know how he arrived at that conclusion. To say say the purchasing power is equivalent isn't true whatsoever.

    As for your housing comparison, you're saying a 1500 square foot house in Compton California is more desirable than a brand new house on an acre of land with 2000 square feet and THAT'S why it cost more?

    Housing is cheap here because we literally have all the resources for building here. Housing is expensive there, even the most undesirable homes go for an insane amount of money. You can attribute that to being more "desirable" and ignore all other variables if you want...

    I know you think a bigger economy means it's better (which isn't necessarily true), but you realize California growth is a negative 3.5% at a time when the economy seems to be on the rise? You realize they are in debt as well? In Texas, it is illegal for them to go into debt. It's part of their state constitution.
    Do you have actual evidence to dispute the purchasing power?

    Yes it’s more desirable because people are paying more to live there. Which would cost more after you eliminate all taxes? Still the Compton house. I could buy a brand new house on an acre of land with 2,000 sq feet even cheaper in Wyoming than in Texas, why do you suppose only half a million people live in Wyoming?

    Good for Texas not going into debt, didn’t help them become the largest state economy.

    We’ll have to discontinue this discussion until you present actual evidence (of which thus far you have submitted none).

  12. #1797
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    America
    Posts
    99,444
    It's amazing how dumb these people know their supporters are...

    https://twitter.com/HawleyMO/status/1390451157525573638
    Let's get embedded tweets working again!

    https://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sh...5#post33780085

  13. #1798
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    38,087
    Quote Originally Posted by Crovash View Post
    That said, it is very difficult to maintain equilibrium when the civility does not go both ways. I simply chose to stop interacting with those few, and, yes, there is a cost.
    If it's someone who is coming back with contempt you are right to just move on with your life, but you should make it clear to them that you are leaving their lives by their choice to treat you with contempt.

  14. #1799
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    parts unknown
    Posts
    59,323
    Quote Originally Posted by Redrum187 View Post
    I'm assuming the reason gas is also more expensive in California is because "it's more desirable" as well.
    Hahaha. Can’t stop laughing


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rep Power: 0




    Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

  15. #1800
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    41,662
    Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    Hahaha. Can’t stop laughing
    I’ve actually lived in Texas before, it’s not the awesome utopia they’re trying to make out. In fact, large swaths of it are ****.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •