Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 581 of 629 FirstFirst ... 81481531571579580581582583591 ... LastLast
Results 8,701 to 8,715 of 9426
  1. #8701
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    2,214
    Quote Originally Posted by catman View Post
    All I am saying is that you complain about people being killed by police, while in the act of committing a crime. You call it police brutality and say the police are hunting minorities. Someone committing an armed robbery that fails to drop their weapon when instructed to is responsible for their own death.
    Please point to a case of police killing someone else in which I complained about it. Then point to how that person was a threat to the police officers' life. Then compare it to the Jan 6 terrorist attack.

    The point is that there is a huge difference between a mob of terrorists trying to overthrow the government and:

    - a man squirming while in handcuffs who then gets has head stuffed by an officers' knee
    - a woman sleeping in her own home being shot by officers

  2. #8702
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    49,142
    Quote Originally Posted by catman View Post
    Am I? I'm saying that she was in the act of committing a crime. She was told to stop and was shot. It's on her.
    Yes I have said that I feel Lt. Byrd overreacted, but the bottom line is that her death was her own responsibility.
    Did he overreact or was he in the wrong?

    Am I being gaslight or havenít you been arguing this entire time the officer should not have shot her?

  3. #8703
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    2,214
    Quote Originally Posted by catman View Post
    Am I? I'm saying that she was in the act of committing a crime. She was told to stop and was shot. It's on her.
    Yes I have said that I feel Lt. Byrd overreacted, but the bottom line is that her death was her own responsibility.
    I'm curious as to why you went down the line of discussion about the officers leaving their posts. You started that almost immediately after her name was mentioned. Was it an attempt to shift blame or responsibility? Was it an attempt to shift the focus away from what we were discussing?

  4. #8704
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Central Iowa
    Posts
    11,533
    Quote Originally Posted by nyyfan555 View Post
    Please point to a case of police killing someone else in which I complained about it. Then point to how that person was a threat to the police officers' life. Then compare it to the Jan 6 terrorist attack.

    The point is that there is a huge difference between a mob of terrorists trying to overthrow the government and:

    - a man squirming while in handcuffs who then gets has head stuffed by an officers' knee
    - a woman sleeping in her own home being shot by officers
    You're right. No 2 situations are the same. You use poor examples, however. Those are clearly overreactions by the police and those responsible should be held accountable. I am talking about someone, in the process of committing a crime, refusing to follow police instructions (drop the gun and show me your hands, for instance) and being shot. They, like Ms Babbitt, are responsible for their own deaths.

  5. #8705
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Central Iowa
    Posts
    11,533
    Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    Did he overreact or was he in the wrong?

    Am I being gaslight or havenít you been arguing this entire time the officer should not have shot her?
    I have said that he should have attempted non-lethal force initially. He did not do so. The bottom line, however, is that she was responsible for her own death.

  6. #8706
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Central Iowa
    Posts
    11,533
    Quote Originally Posted by nyyfan555 View Post
    I'm curious as to why you went down the line of discussion about the officers leaving their posts. You started that almost immediately after her name was mentioned. Was it an attempt to shift blame or responsibility? Was it an attempt to shift the focus away from what we were discussing?
    Did you watch the video of the situation? It clearly shows 3 officers simply walking away from the doors. When they were out of the frame, Ms Babbitt attempted to breech the window and was shot. Shortly after that, several officers in riot gear appear in the picture.

  7. #8707
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Bushwood Country Club
    Posts
    82,362
    Why is it our police must escalate to force or violence over literally anything though? How many instances of police shooting an unarmed person do we need? Or a person simply resisting arrest? Do you need to whip out your gun when someone says "no" every ****ing time?

    The rules of engagement in our police force, on top of the total and utter lack of accountability of the police actions, is why nobody trusts them outside white Americans who have never experienced nor seen how police operate in urban areas.

    There are just far different, and better, ways for our police to handle things.

    If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

  8. #8708
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    68,014
    Quote Originally Posted by catman View Post
    No, you have it wrong. I am talking about a person on the streets that is in the act of committing a crime and is shot and killed by police officers. Nowhere have I said that police should kill people sleeping in their own homes nor will I.
    A person, in the act of committing a crime, that disobeys police officers instructions and is shot is responsible for their own death, just as Ms Babbitt was responsible for her own death.
    Yet you so vociferously demonize the Capitol Police anytime this topic is brought up.

  9. #8709
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    68,014
    Quote Originally Posted by brett05 View Post
    1) The shooting officer did not know her background
    2) There was never a case
    3) No one has shown that deadly force was necessary

    The left complains all the time about police brutality until someone from the right agrees.
    Quote Originally Posted by brett05 View Post
    Another lie. Keep it coming
    Unless the topic is pizza toppings, I see no reason why anyone would try to seriously engage you in an adult conversation.

  10. #8710
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    49,121
    Quote Originally Posted by catman View Post
    All I am saying is that you complain about people being killed by police, while in the act of committing a crime. You call it police brutality and say the police are hunting minorities. Someone committing an armed robbery that fails to drop their weapon when instructed to is responsible for their own death.
    I don't care about their skin color. If they refuse to follow instructions and are shot, it's on them.
    Yup, selling loose cigarettes and someone trying to attack members of congress. Someone already restrained on the ground and someone trying to attack members of congress. Someone asleep in their bed and someone trying to attack members of congress. Definitely no differences there!

    More intellectually dishonest arguments.


    "It is a grotesque parody of the bazaar at Marrakech, as if dumb animals had been granted only the amount of sentience required to mock humanity."

  11. #8711
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    68,014
    Quote Originally Posted by catman View Post
    All I am saying is that you complain about people being killed by police, while in the act of committing a crime. You call it police brutality and say the police are hunting minorities. Someone committing an armed robbery that fails to drop their weapon when instructed to is responsible for their own death.
    I don't care about their skin color. If they refuse to follow instructions and are shot, it's on them.
    Then why are you so intent on demonizing the Capitol Police for how they handled the Babbitt situation, you blabbering fool?

  12. #8712
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    2,214
    Quote Originally Posted by catman View Post
    You're right. No 2 situations are the same. You use poor examples, however. Those are clearly overreactions by the police and those responsible should be held accountable. I am talking about someone, in the process of committing a crime, refusing to follow police instructions (drop the gun and show me your hands, for instance) and being shot. They, like Ms Babbitt, are responsible for their own deaths.
    Great that you see that.

    But when you say "As others have said, I hope you remember this when someone is killed by police officers in another situation", then you're clearly going down a path towards a "gotcha" game.

    I hope you remember this conversation and can speak with a level of nuance and with context in mind when sharing your opinion.

  13. #8713
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    49,121
    Quote Originally Posted by catman View Post
    Did you watch the video of the situation? It clearly shows 3 officers simply walking away from the doors. When they were out of the frame, Ms Babbitt attempted to breech the window and was shot. Shortly after that, several officers in riot gear appear in the picture.
    No, liar, it clearly shows three officers moving to the side as other, more heavily armed and armored officers arrive. It's pretty clear that they were waiting for them to arrive before moving, and one even signals to the others that it's time to move right before they do.

    Here's the video yet again: https://www.washingtonpost.com/inves...video-capitol/

    At about 1:30 into it, the cop in the middle clearly looks above and beyond the crowd, then grabs the officer next to him and says "They're ready to roll, come on."

    That's why they moved.


    "It is a grotesque parody of the bazaar at Marrakech, as if dumb animals had been granted only the amount of sentience required to mock humanity."

  14. #8714
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    2,214
    Quote Originally Posted by catman View Post
    Did you watch the video of the situation? It clearly shows 3 officers simply walking away from the doors. When they were out of the frame, Ms Babbitt attempted to breech the window and was shot. Shortly after that, several officers in riot gear appear in the picture.
    This post just recaps what happened.

    You didn't answer my question, which is why did you bring this up after her name was mentioned and after the topic of conversation was how people, including officers, were killed because of the attack?

    I watched many videos of that day, including live footage as it happened. That has nothing to do with the fact that Babbitt and the other terrorists broke laws, caused property damage, threatened the lives of others, killed others, physically harmed others, and attempted to overthrow the government. As you agreed with earlier, she is responsible for her death that day.

    The big question is, why did you bring up officers leaving their posts? Were you trying to shift focus? Trying to shift blame or responsibility? What was your motivation for bringing that up?

  15. #8715
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    America
    Posts
    108,844
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye15 View Post
    Why is it our police must escalate to force or violence over literally anything though? How many instances of police shooting an unarmed person do we need? Or a person simply resisting arrest? Do you need to whip out your gun when someone says "no" every ****ing time?

    The rules of engagement in our police force, on top of the total and utter lack of accountability of the police actions, is why nobody trusts them outside white Americans who have never experienced nor seen how police operate in urban areas.

    There are just far different, and better, ways for our police to handle things.
    Our police are militarized to the nth degree.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •