Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Who would have you drafted?

The draft is the one place where a team can really change their fortunes. Even for trades the player pretty much has to want to play for you. Anyway, who did your team draft the last couple years, who would have you taken, how do you feel about it?

2020 Knicks took Obi Toppin. I would have taken Haliburton. I am still happy with the pick. I think the team took a guy who already has some skill and who they thought had the best chance to be an impact player. It wasn't a deep draft and I like Obi's foundation and potential

2019 RJ Barrett. I would taken Coby White. I understood the franchise had to take Barrett but I watched a lot of Duke and was not impressed with his game. On the other hand I thought White was a legit shooter and well rounded scorer who could transition to PG. Up until the start of this season I did not see star potential in Barrett. He has been showing some real potential this year though. Hope i was wrong.

2018 Kevin Knox. I would have taken MPJR but understand I don't have access to medical ****. If he was ruled out by what the docs thought I would have taken Mikal Bridges. I didn't like this pick b/c Knox was seen a project and it was a deep draft. If you are as desperate for talent as the Knicks were I think you have make sure you get a player. If you are taking a project he should be a total freak.

2017 Frank Nit. I would have taken Luke Kennard or Zach Collins. I had no opinion on the pick b/c I really had never seen the French kid. I thought Luke and Zach both had NBA skills though. Looking back it seems like Knoxs the Knicks drafted very young a kid with great measurables but without many learned basketball skills at an NBA level. Again a little too much of a project for my taste. Frank is actually growing on me a little as a wing but I think he might not be in NY much longer. We tried to make him a PG for the 3 years. I don't think he is capable of succeeding in that role

Thats it for my Knicks.

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

2006: Anyone else. Literally anyone else.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    Facts can be hypothetical.

Quote Originally Posted by R. Johnson#3 View Post
    15 years ago isn't exactly recent lol

Quote Originally Posted by NBA all the way View Post
    15 years ago isn't exactly recent lol
    Let me troll my own team in peace!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    Facts can be hypothetical.

2020 - I would have bought the kings pick or the pick before it and got Haliburton. I like the toppin pick and quickley pick. Quickley was never on my radar.

2019 - RJ Barrett

2018 - Michael Porter Jr. - this was an easy pick even without the medical records. Porzingis was injured. We lost the season anyway. Let the rookie rest and get another high lottery pick. I threw my drink when porter fell to us and we picked knox instead.

2017 - Dennis Smith Jr / Donovan Mitchell
    We were linked to both these guys and frank. I was ok with either pick just not the Frenchmen. I was equally pissed off when we traded porzingis for a guy we could have just drafted.

Very happy with this years draft.

2017 - I was in favor of trading this high pick and a future pick with Covington for a star player. If we're sticking strictly to the draft only, OG Anunoby or Donovan Mitchell. Instead we trade too many picks to move up for a guy I was sceptical about due to the sudden burst up the board.

2018 - I would just undo the Mikal Bridges trade for Zhaire Smith. The bigger one for me is I wouldn't do the Tobias Harris mid season trade, which means that Landry Shamet is still a Sixer.

2019 - Matisse Thybulle. Not changing that.

2020 - Tyrese Maxey. Too early to tell.

So even those changes, and how that changes some trades from there on out:
    Seth Curry - Shake Milton - Tyrese Maxey
    Donovan Mitchell - Danny Green (?) - Furkan Korkmaz
    Mikal Bridges - Matisse Thybulle
    Ben Simmons - Mike Scott - Tony Bradley
    Joel Embiid - Dwight Howard - Vincent Poirier

Dare I say that could be a championship roster?

The Rockets literally haven't had a first round pick since 2015 and they haven't had a top 10 pick since 2006, so this is a tough one, but I'll go through some of the key drafts of the last decade that stand out.

2015 (18th): Sam Dekker. I was fine with Dekker, but I remember thinking I wanted them to draft a point guard, and I wanted Rozier or Tyus Jones, but Rozier was gone before they picked, so it's kind of a moot point. They did get Montrezl Harrell in that draft, though, in the early second, which was big at the time. Given their lack of bigs over the years, Looney, Nance Jr. or Portis would be nice, in hindsight.

2014 (25th): Clint Capela. No issues with this pick whatsoever. He was a steal there given how productive he was in Houston, and the team got better the second they moved from Dwight to Clint at starting center. Loved him in his time in Houston—easily one of my favorite Rockets of the last 10-15 years.

2011 (14th): Marcus Morris. This is the pick that haunts me. I have said that Daryl Morey's resume has very few mistakes, but this one is at the top of the list with the Westbrook trade. I watched more college ball than normal that year, and Kawhi Leonard just really jumped out to me on paper. He was a freak athlete, and he jumped up mock draft boards after the NCAA tournament. On draft night, I couldn't believe their luck when Leonard dropped to them at 14. When they called Morris' name instead, I was devastated. Lots of drinking that night. The disappointment of that pick was exacerbated after Morris left Houston and ended up becoming a much better player and a guy who would have fit Houston's system like a glove. So not only did you take the wrong guy, but you let him go before he ever had the chance to become the player you envisioned he could be.

Quote Originally Posted by mightybosstone View Post
    The Rockets literally haven't had a first round pick since 2015 and they haven't had a top 10 pick since 2006, so this is a tough one, but I'll go through some of the key drafts of the last decade that stand out.

2015 (18th): Sam Dekker. I was fine with Dekker, but I remember thinking I wanted them to draft a point guard, and I wanted Rozier or Tyus Jones, but Rozier was gone before they picked, so it's kind of a moot point. They did get Montrezl Harrell in that draft, though, in the early second, which was big at the time. Given their lack of bigs over the years, Looney, Nance Jr. or Portis would be nice, in hindsight.

2014 (25th): Clint Capela. No issues with this pick whatsoever. He was a steal there given how productive he was in Houston, and the team got better the second they moved from Dwight to Clint at starting center. Loved him in his time in Houston—easily one of my favorite Rockets of the last 10-15 years.

2011 (14th): Marcus Morris. This is the pick that haunts me. I have said that Daryl Morey's resume has very few mistakes, but this one is at the top of the list with the Westbrook trade. I watched more college ball than normal that year, and Kawhi Leonard just really jumped out to me on paper. He was a freak athlete, and he jumped up mock draft boards after the NCAA tournament. On draft night, I couldn't believe their luck when Leonard dropped to them at 14. When they called Morris' name instead, I was devastated. Lots of drinking that night. The disappointment of that pick was exacerbated after Morris left Houston and ended up becoming a much better player and a guy who would have fit Houston's system like a glove. So not only did you take the wrong guy, but you let him go before he ever had the chance to become the player you envisioned he could be.
    Did you know Kawhi would be what he turned into though?

You say that, but you forget that picks 3-5 in that draft were Adam Morrison, Tyrus Thomas and Shelden Williams. That was such a weird draft in hindsight, because there were SO many busts in the first round. Five guys drafted in the top 10 ended up with fewer than 13 total WS. Bargnani ended up with 18.9.

The other weird thing about that draft is that, after LMA, the two other best players of that draft were probably Kyle Lowry (drafted 24th) and Paul Millsap (drafted 47th). Rondo was also a later pick at 21. If Roy's injuries hadn't derailed his career, obviously it would be different, but the best careers out of that draft outside of LMA came mostly from guys from outside the top 20 picks. Redick (11), Sefolosha (13) and Tucker (35) are the only other really notable guys, but all were outside the top 10.

Quote Originally Posted by NBA all the way View Post
    Did you know Kawhi would be what he turned into though?
    Hell no. At the time, I think most draft experts saw him as a hyper-athletic 3 and D prospect with some upside. I don't think anyone envisioned him being a 25+ PPG guy and a future perennial top 5 player in the league. And I have to think going to San Antonio and developing on a team with Pop, Duncan, Parker, etc. probably helped a lot. But it still haunts me. Imagine having Harden and Kawhi on the same team over the last eight seasons...

That is one of the all-time Rockets "what ifs," right up there with Paul's hamstring, the injury plagued T-Mac/Yao era and the "What if Houston had traded for MJ and had an MJ/Olajuwon core?"
    Last edited by mightybosstone; 01-07-2021 at 01:02 PM.

You say that, but you forget that picks 3-5 in that draft were Adam Morrison, Tyrus Thomas and Shelden Williams. That was such a weird draft in hindsight, because there were SO many busts in the first round. Five guys drafted in the top 10 ended up with fewer than 13 total WS. Bargnani ended up with 18.9.

The other weird thing about that draft is that, after LMA, the two other best players of that draft were probably Kyle Lowry (drafted 24th) and Paul Millsap (drafted 47th). Rondo was also a later pick at 21. If Roy's injuries hadn't derailed his career, obviously it would be different, but the best careers out of that draft outside of LMA came mostly from guys from outside the top 20 picks. Redick (11), Sefolosha (13) and Tucker (35) are the only other really notable guys, but all were outside the top 10.
    I would’ve taken Adam Morrison over Bargnani. Colangelo wanted him to be the golden boy and even made Sam Mitchell go easy on him. Anyone would’ve been better lol.

Warriors:
    2020 - Wiseman good so far, Mannion looks like a possible steal, Jessup is doing well in Australia.
    2019 - Poole is incomplete, so far nothing special, but nobody else I really loved, Smiley still VERY raw, Paschall all-rookie team steal
    2018 - Evans, I would have gone for Okobo but clearly Mitchell Robinson would have been the best choice
    2016 - Damian Jones never could stay healthy, Brogdon should have been the pick. McCaw fell apart mentally but he was still the right pick.

I liked Sam Decker. I thought he would translate well to the NBA. Can’t guess they all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

OK; are we just looking at general redrafts for our team and all the guys who got drafted late and ended up stars? I'll limit this to the past couple of drafts, so we don't have to point out the obvious late picks that became stars.
    There are a ton of guys — Mitchell Robinson, Robert Williams, Devonte' Graham or Shake Milton — I wouldn've in 2018 instead of Anfernee Simons. I would have taken Gary Trent Jr. ahead of Simons, but luckily we got him as one of the biggest steals of the draft. To me, he's our McCollum replacemnt.
    The jury's still out on Nassir Little from 2019, considering he doesn't get much run, but I think Eric Paschall might have been more useful.
    Who the heck knows on draft picks from last year. CJ Elleby doesn't look horrible. Sam Merrill is the only guy drafted after him that I might have considered instead. He looks like a knock-down shooter who can rebound and pass pretty well.
    Last edited by mrblisterdundee; 01-07-2021 at 03:32 PM.

I would’ve taken Adam Morrison over Bargnani. Colangelo wanted him to be the golden boy and even made Sam Mitchell go easy on him. Anyone would’ve been better lol.
    I feel like if they had drafted Morrison, his pedostache and his career 44.8% TS% in 28 career starts over Bargnani, you'd feel differently. Mediocre to below average play is better than historically terrible play.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast