Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 48 of 89 FirstFirst ... 38464748495058 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Crovash View Post
    In a book on the 18th-century philosopher, Frederich Nietzsche, I came across the following observation:

“Nietzsche, echoing Schopenhauer, believed that the ways in which most individuals sought to alleviate agony only deepened it in the end. Typical escapes — food, money, power, sex — are painfully transitory. Life goes only one way, into ever steeper decline. This is true for all living beings, but humans have the unique powers of recollection and foresight, so they, unlike mere beasts, can relive the horrors of life and clearly envision their untimely demise. Of course, one can find distractions — politics, education, religion, family life — but these do little to mitigate the painful effects of being human. These relationships and institutions are as fragile and unreliable as the lives that support them.” (John Kaag; Hiking with Nietzsche)

This pessimism (realism?) cuts awfully deep, doesn’t it?
    A pretty common thing I would think for those whose faith is this life is all there is.
    My Ignore List: bklynny67, nastynice, OhSoSlick, spliff(TONE), zmaster52

Quote Originally Posted by brett05 View Post
    A pretty common thing I would think for those whose faith is this life is all there is.
    I think I’d agree with Kaag’s observations with one caveat: I believe that even in the face of the ultimate personal void, my progeny counts as more than simply a distraction. Yes, they are fragile and fleeting, but they carry on for me.

Quote Originally Posted by mike_noodles View Post
    Google "residential schools in Canada" and see the things done in the name of Christianity.
    Investgators have found more than 600 unmarked graves at the site of a former residential school for Indigenous children — a discovery that follows last month’s report of 215 bodies found at another school.

The bodies were discovered at the Marieval Indian Residential School, which operated from 1899 to 1997 where the Cowessess First Nation is now located, about 85 miles (135 kilometers) east of Regina, the capital of Saskatchewan.

Last month the remains of 215 children, some as young as 3 years old, were found buried on the site of what was once Canada’s largest Indigenous residential school near Kamloops, British Columbia.

Following that discovery, Pope Francis expressed his pain over the discovery and pressed religious and political authorities to shed light on “this sad affair.” But he didn’t offer the apology sought by First Nations and by the Canadian government.

^ really should have it's own thread

^ really should have it's own thread
    Go ahead. Be my guest. Knock yourself out.

Otherwise, buzz off.

Google "residential schools in Canada" and see the things done in the name of Christianity.
    Go ahead. Be my guest. Knock yourself out.

Otherwise, buzz off.
    The typical attack playbook response seeps into the civil religion forum. New you couldn't last.

The typical attack playbook response seeps into the civil religion forum. New you couldn't last.

Are you the moderator of this forum? Yes or no?

Are you the moderator of this forum? Yes or no?
    Is my name in the aqua blue?

is my name in the aqua blue?
    qed.

This may come off as snarky, but I am genuinely curious, would Christians, Muslims, and Jews say they worship the same divine being (aka God, Allah, YHWH)?
    Jews and Christians worship Yahweh. Muslims worship Allah. Though Muslims say they are the same, they are not.

Quote Originally Posted by nessythegreat View Post
    Jews and Christians worship Yahweh. Muslims worship Allah. Though Muslims say they are the same, they are not.
    Interesting. I don’t know how devout a Muslim Nastynice is — and I believe he has since been banned permanently from PSD — but he did say early on in this thread that Allah and Yahweh were one and the same.

Do you have some evidence for your assertion?

Pro tip: literally nothing nasty says is worth a damn unless you're looking for derivative laughs.

Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    Pro tip: literally nothing nasty says is worth a damn unless you're looking for derivative laughs.
    Be honest, now; you miss him.

Not really. Plenty of other posters here to provide me with derivative laughs. I also know how to contact him via other means (if I actually wanted to).

Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    Not really. Plenty of other posters here to provide me with derivative laughs. I also know how to contact him via other means (if I actually wanted to).
    aww, you 'liked' him on Match...that's nice..
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

Page 48 of 89 FirstFirst ... 38464748495058 ... LastLast