Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Crovash View Post
    And this is where it goes off the rails.
    the Bible doesn't specify pigs, it speaks of cloven hooved animals that don't chew their cud...extended out for Jewish ppl that takes out camels, hares, and rodents that chew their cud without divided hooves and pigs that have divided hooves but chew no cud.....it's another Old Testament idea not considered applicable in Christianity

even then it doesn't expressly say don't eat, it says doing so makes one unclean....and gets extended to horses, shellfish, and more....
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    Even supposing that is true, and I am not sure it is (but I don't want to get into an argument on what is specifically meant by dirty and why a pig is somehow dirtier to eat than other meats),

Is God saying you need to eat healthy to be a good person? Are you incapable of being a good person if you eat a dirty meat? I guess my question is, what does eating a dirty meat have to do with being a good person?
    No, you can eat dog **** and still be a good person. Why not?

If somebody's son wants to have 10 candy bars and sodas a day and they dont allow it, is it so his son will be a good person?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by nastynice; 01-14-2021 at 10:33 PM.
    RAIDERS, SHARKS, WARRIORS

"i don't believe in mysteries but still i pray for my sister, when speaking to the higher power that listens, to the lifeless vision of freedom everytime we're imprisoned, to the righteous victims of people of a higher position" - planet asia, old timer thoughts

"God is Universal he is the Ruler Universal" - gangstarr (rip guru), robbin hood theory

"don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" - bob marley, zion train

Quote Originally Posted by nastynice View Post
    No, you can eat dog **** and still be a good person. Why not?

If somebody's son wants to have 10 candy bars and sodas a day and they dont allow it, is it so his son will be a good person?
    So eating or not eating Pork is not a requirement to go to Heaven? It's just an additional thing the Quran teaches to help you be a healthy person?

Because most dads don't want their kids to eat 10 candy bars and sodas a day to be a healthier person, not necessarily a good person. Nor would I imagine most dads would say their son is a bad person simply because they eat 10 candy bars and sodas a day.

So eating or not eating Pork is not a requirement to go to Heaven? It's just an additional thing the Quran teaches to help you be a healthy person?

Because most dads don't want their kids to eat 10 candy bars and sodas a day to be a healthier person, not necessarily a good person. Nor would I imagine most dads would say their son is a bad person simply because they eat 10 candy bars and sodas a day.
    No, it's not a requirement to go to heaven.

I've mentioned this before, in our religion every person is judged on their actions and intentions. In the day of judgement the scales will be weighed, and we will all pay for our sins. We believe in the afterlife that you taste hell fire until you have paid for your sins and then you are given paradise.

So once my scales are weighed, I will spend time in hell to pay for my sins. Being a muslim doesnt give me some sort of free pass. Once they're paid, on to the next step..

"i don't believe in mysteries but still i pray for my sister, when speaking to the higher power that listens, to the lifeless vision of freedom everytime we're imprisoned, to the righteous victims of people of a higher position" - planet asia, old timer thoughts

"God is Universal he is the Ruler Universal" - gangstarr (rip guru), robbin hood theory

"don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" - bob marley, zion train

Supreme being which must be conceptualized as an idea given that it is beyond what our minds can fully grasp.

Refer to god as you please. 2 of my cousins refer to god as her. What diff does it make?

I just thought man was created in God’s image. If that image is but a concept what the hell are we talking about?

No, it's not a requirement to go to heaven.

I've mentioned this before, in our religion every person is judged on their actions and intentions. In the day of judgement the scales will be weighed, and we will all pay for our sins. We believe in the afterlife that you taste hell fire until you have paid for your sins and then you are given paradise.

So once my scales are weighed, I will spend time in hell to pay for my sins. Being a muslim doesnt give me some sort of free pass. Once they're paid, on to the next step...
    Sounds sensible.

Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    I just thought man was created in God’s image. If that image is but a concept what the hell are we talking about?
    I dont really get what ur asking here. Are you saying god is a physical being, like an old guy sitting in the clouds?

That would very much go against any descritption of god given to us in islam.

Sounds sensible.
    I think so too.

At the end of the day I believe my maker is just. So there are a lot of details I dont necessarily get hung up on. Whatever my.punishment is, I believe it will be just.

I think you're assuming 'in God's image' means God looks human, when it means humans are the creatures God imagined fulfilling His plans.

Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    I think you're assuming 'in God's image' means God looks human, when it means humans are the creatures God imagined fulfilling His plans.
    Well done. Thank you for explaining that to me.

the Bible doesn't specify pigs, it speaks of cloven hooved animals that don't chew their cud...extended out for Jewish ppl that takes out camels, hares, and rodents that chew their cud without divided hooves and pigs that have divided hooves but chew no cud.....it's another Old Testament idea not considered applicable in Christianity

even then it doesn't expressly say don't eat, it says doing so makes one unclean....and gets extended to horses, shellfish, and more....
    As a Jew I never understood why the laws of the Old Testament (Torah) don’t apply to the New Testament. Did Jesus pull a line similar from My Cousin Vinny and say “Everything my dad said in the Old Testament is Bull ****?”

FYI, Kashrut law forbids the eating of pork, shellfish, and mixing meat with dairy products at meals. That means if you want to enjoy a baked potato with your Prime Ribs, don’t even think about putting butter or sour cream on it.

Yeah. One of my favorite topics.

What goes off the rail?
    The discussion. I hope not.
    Last edited by Crovash; 01-15-2021 at 02:32 PM.

As a Jew I never understood why the laws of the Old Testament (Torah) don’t apply to the New Testament. Did Jesus pull a line similar from My Cousin Vinny and say “Everything my dad said in the Old Testament is Bull ****?”

FYI, Kashrut law forbids the eating of pork, shellfish, and mixing meat with dairy products at meals. That means if you want to enjoy a baked potato with your Prime Ribs, don’t even think about putting butter or sour cream on it.

Yeah. One of my favorite topics.
    Bible verses like 2 Corinthians 5:17 are a reason...which says if any man be in Christ, he is a new man and old things have passed away. Or Matthew where Jesus is quoted to say He didn't. come to abolish Moses' law but to accomplish their purpose. For example, Old Testament law called for animal sacrifices, but Jesus' death and resurrection eliminated that.

I meant in terms of being a good person it is arbitrary. One does not need to believe in Christ as the Lord and Savior to be a good person.
    A good god is not worth worshiping. It means someone could be better. A perfect God is worth worshiping.
    My Ignore List: bklynny67, nastynice, OhSoSlick, spliff(TONE), zmaster52

Bible verses like 2 Corinthians 5:17 are a reason...which says if any man be in Christ, he is a new man and old things have passed away. Or Matthew where Jesus is quoted to say He didn't. come to abolish Moses' law but to accomplish their purpose. For example, Old Testament law called for animal sacrifices, but Jesus' death and resurrection eliminated that.
    Quote Originally Posted by brett05 View Post
    A good god is not worth worshiping. It means someone could be better. A perfect God is worth worshiping.
    So let me ask. Is the Christian God the same entity as Allah or YHWH?

Page 4 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast