Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 3 of 39 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 579
  1. #31
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    8,696
    Quote Originally Posted by nastynice View Post
    God is a concept. God is supernatural, beyond the time and space limits of the human mind. We can only conceptualize this.

    Once you understand this then you'll appreciate the comedic value behind people asking one to physically demonstrate god.
    Check me if I’m wrong, but most christians would say he walked among us.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    46,674
    Quote Originally Posted by nastynice View Post
    God is a concept. God is supernatural, beyond the time and space limits of the human mind. We can only conceptualize this.

    Once you understand this then you'll appreciate the comedic value behind people asking one to physically demonstrate god.

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    So God is not the Supreme Being but rather an idea?

    Why then do we refer to this concept, this idea, as "He?" Shouldn't God be an "It?"

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    15,863
    Quote Originally Posted by Crovash View Post
    Check me if I’m wrong, but most christians would say he walked among us.
    God, taking human form, walked among us. A big difference between religions being discussed is how Jesus is viewed...how He got here and who He was. To others, a great prophet, to the Christian, God made flesh.
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    37,904
    Quote Originally Posted by nastynice View Post
    We all believe in single supreme creator. We have similarities in our beliefs and differences in our beliefs. However this is true not only between religions but also within religions.

    Attempting to play the role of God and passing judgement on other people is a pointless and fruitless endeavor. We are limited in our understanding, we can never internally judge other people with any accuracy.

    Us muslims believe that there is a particular path to god. This path is not exclusive to any one religion, any human can walk this path via his actions. We believe that us muslims have the best source to teach us this path, but that is not a guarantee that every muslim will walk it more closely than every non muslim.
    I dislike religions that preface your ascension to a Heaven on an arbitrary belief (such as Christianity's requirement of believing Jesus is your Lord and Savior). I also dislike religions that preface your ascension to Heaven on arbitrary rules such as no Pork or no Shellfish, etc. because it seems very much like a "because I said so" philosophy, and I like to imagine if there is a Divine being who is judging our ascension to a Heaven, he would base it on altruistic traits as opposed to "attendance" level infractions.

    I just dislike the notion that a genuinely nice, caring, and good person could be denied on the basis of not believing in Jesus or because he ate Bacon for breakfast. Thus, Islam's tenet that anyone can ascend to Heaven if they are a good person appeals to me more than one that says you are automatically disqualified no matter how good you are for an arbitrary reason.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    15,863
    Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    I dislike religions that preface your ascension to a Heaven on an arbitrary belief (such as Christianity's requirement of believing Jesus is your Lord and Savior). I also dislike religions that preface your ascension to Heaven on arbitrary rules such as no Pork or no Shellfish, etc. because it seems very much like a "because I said so" philosophy, and I like to imagine if there is a Divine being who is judging our ascension to a Heaven, he would base it on altruistic traits as opposed to "attendance" level infractions.

    I just dislike the notion that a genuinely nice, caring, and good person could be denied on the basis of not believing in Jesus or because he ate Bacon for breakfast. Thus, Islam's tenet that anyone can ascend to Heaven if they are a good person appeals to me more than one that says you are automatically disqualified no matter how good you are for an arbitrary reason.
    you're again showing a lack of understanding if you view that as arbitrary....
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    37,035
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    So God is not the Supreme Being but rather an idea?

    Why then do we refer to this concept, this idea, as "He?" Shouldn't God be an "It?"
    Supreme being which must be conceptualized as an idea given that it is beyond what our minds can fully grasp.

    Refer to god as you please. 2 of my cousins refer to god as her. What diff does it make?

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    RAIDERS, SHARKS, WARRIORS

    "i don't believe in mysteries but still i pray for my sister, when speaking to the higher power that listens, to the lifeless vision of freedom everytime we're imprisoned, to the righteous victims of people of a higher position" - planet asia, old timer thoughts

    "God is Universal he is the Ruler Universal" - gangstarr (rip guru), robbin hood theory

    "don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" - bob marley, zion train

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    37,904
    Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    you're again showing a lack of understanding if you view that as arbitrary....
    I meant in terms of being a good person it is arbitrary. One does not need to believe in Christ as the Lord and Savior to be a good person.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    8,696
    Quote Originally Posted by nastynice View Post
    Supreme being which must be conceptualized as an idea given that it is beyond what our minds can fully grasp.

    Refer to god as you please. 2 of my cousins refer to god as her. What diff does it make?

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    I think Site Wolf’s observation makes it a big difference (and to some degree one of the reasons I opened this thread).

    It seems to me, admittedly from the outside, that the three major western religions, related as they are, have some significant differences as to the nature of their god.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    8,696
    Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    I dislike religions that preface your ascension to a Heaven on an arbitrary belief (such as Christianity's requirement of believing Jesus is your Lord and Savior). I also dislike religions that preface your ascension to Heaven on arbitrary rules such as no Pork or no Shellfish, etc. because it seems very much like a "because I said so" philosophy, and I like to imagine if there is a Divine being who is judging our ascension to a Heaven, he would base it on altruistic traits as opposed to "attendance" level infractions.

    I just dislike the notion that a genuinely nice, caring, and good person could be denied on the basis of not believing in Jesus or because he ate Bacon for breakfast. Thus, Islam's tenet that anyone can ascend to Heaven if they are a good person appeals to me more than one that says you are automatically disqualified no matter how good you are for an arbitrary reason.
    You might like therevada buddhism.

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    37,035
    Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    I dislike religions that preface your ascension to a Heaven on an arbitrary belief (such as Christianity's requirement of believing Jesus is your Lord and Savior). I also dislike religions that preface your ascension to Heaven on arbitrary rules such as no Pork or no Shellfish, etc. because it seems very much like a "because I said so" philosophy, and I like to imagine if there is a Divine being who is judging our ascension to a Heaven, he would base it on altruistic traits as opposed to "attendance" level infractions.

    I just dislike the notion that a genuinely nice, caring, and good person could be denied on the basis of not believing in Jesus or because he ate Bacon for breakfast. Thus, Islam's tenet that anyone can ascend to Heaven if they are a good person appeals to me more than one that says you are automatically disqualified no matter how good you are for an arbitrary reason.
    We are given guidance on how to live our lives not because I said so, but because it is what is overall best for us, either individually or as a community.

    Pork being a perfect example. I was raised not eating pork because that's what my religion taught me, but now as a grown man even if I left my religion I would still never eat pork. Its dirty. It's no good for me (us). I recognize this in part thanks to islam.



    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    RAIDERS, SHARKS, WARRIORS

    "i don't believe in mysteries but still i pray for my sister, when speaking to the higher power that listens, to the lifeless vision of freedom everytime we're imprisoned, to the righteous victims of people of a higher position" - planet asia, old timer thoughts

    "God is Universal he is the Ruler Universal" - gangstarr (rip guru), robbin hood theory

    "don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" - bob marley, zion train

  11. #41
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    37,904
    Quote Originally Posted by nastynice View Post
    We are given guidance on how to live our lives not because I said so, but because it is what is overall best for us, either individually or as a community.

    Pork being a perfect example. I was raised not eating pork because that's what my religion taught me, but now as a grown man even if I left my religion I would still never eat pork. Its dirty. It's no good for me (us). I recognize this in part thanks to islam.
    This is arbitrary to me, there are plenty of foods that are as bad or worse for you than Pork that Islam doesn't prohibit, so why specifically Pork? Philosophically, is Islam saying you need to eat healthy to be let into heaven?

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    37,035
    Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    This is arbitrary to me, there are plenty of foods that are as bad or worse for you than Pork that Islam doesn't prohibit, so why specifically Pork? Philosophically, is Islam saying you need to eat healthy to be let into heaven?
    No, grazing animals are very diff, they have multiple stomach and are made to only really process plants and grass. Pigs are not like this at all, their meat is completely different. They are a dirty animal to eat. They are made to live in mud and their own feces.

    There are many dirty animals, but pigs are the one that somehow hit the mainstream in western society.

    Nothing our religion tells us is arbitrary. It is all for our own good.


    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    RAIDERS, SHARKS, WARRIORS

    "i don't believe in mysteries but still i pray for my sister, when speaking to the higher power that listens, to the lifeless vision of freedom everytime we're imprisoned, to the righteous victims of people of a higher position" - planet asia, old timer thoughts

    "God is Universal he is the Ruler Universal" - gangstarr (rip guru), robbin hood theory

    "don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" - bob marley, zion train

  13. #43
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    8,696
    Quote Originally Posted by nastynice View Post
    No, grazing animals are very diff, they have multiple stomach and are made to only really process plants and grass. Pigs are not like this at all, their meat is completely different. They are a dirty animal to eat. They are made to live in mud and their own feces.

    There are many dirty animals, but pigs are the one that somehow hit the mainstream in western society.

    Nothing our religion tells us is arbitrary. It is all for our own good.
    And this is where it goes off the rails.

  14. #44
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    37,035
    Quote Originally Posted by Crovash View Post
    And this is where it goes off the rails.
    What goes off the rail?


    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    RAIDERS, SHARKS, WARRIORS

    "i don't believe in mysteries but still i pray for my sister, when speaking to the higher power that listens, to the lifeless vision of freedom everytime we're imprisoned, to the righteous victims of people of a higher position" - planet asia, old timer thoughts

    "God is Universal he is the Ruler Universal" - gangstarr (rip guru), robbin hood theory

    "don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" - bob marley, zion train

  15. #45
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    37,904
    Quote Originally Posted by nastynice View Post
    No, grazing animals are very diff, they have multiple stomach and are made to only really process plants and grass. Pigs are not like this at all, their meat is completely different. They are a dirty animal to eat. They are made to live in mud and their own feces.

    There are many dirty animals, but pigs are the one that somehow hit the mainstream in western society.

    Nothing our religion tells us is arbitrary. It is all for our own good.
    Even supposing that is true, and I am not sure it is (but I don't want to get into an argument on what is specifically meant by dirty and why a pig is somehow dirtier to eat than other meats),

    Is God saying you need to eat healthy to be a good person? Are you incapable of being a good person if you eat a dirty meat? I guess my question is, what does eating a dirty meat have to do with being a good person?

Page 3 of 39 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •