Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 62 of 89 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    This discussion is a perfect illustration of what happens when you use the Bible to voice God’s words: You just admitted yourself it requires a human’s interpretation to understand it properly.

But which human? If only one, does that person become God? If more than one, how do we know which ones are the ones who have the correct interpretation?

Furthermore, why did God leave any room for interpretation at all. Better yet, why not make a visit every now and then to clarify his words once and for all?

Of course, all of that is silly. The reality is we’re left with individual interpretation, such as the different ways you and I have interpreted the same text. You tell me yours is the one true correct way of reading it. But that’s just an opinion that gets us no where.
    I admitted you need to take the whole console of God, not just pick and choose what an individual word or passage means.

We do interpret it differently. I used the console of God while you injected your own personal belief to justify the actions of your GF instead of the validity of the passage.
    My Ignore List: bklynny67, nastynice, OhSoSlick, spliff(TONE), zmaster52

Quote Originally Posted by brett05 View Post
    I admitted you need to take the whole console of God, not just pick and choose what an individual word or passage means.

We do interpret it differently. I used the console of God while you injected your own personal belief to justify the actions of your GF instead of the validity of the passage.
    What exactly is the console of God? To console means to alleviate grief, but I have never seen it used as a noun.

Quote Originally Posted by Crovash View Post
    What exactly is the console of God? To console means to alleviate grief, but I have never seen it used as a noun.
    Hmmm....perhaps I am using the wrong word. Let me check.

Hmmm....perhaps I am using the wrong word. Let me check.
    Yep. I am wrong and I am sorry. Wrong Console.

Counsel of God.

The so-called Counsel of God is still a subjective take. They are not God any more than I am. And all I did was read a literal phrase in the Bible and went with its literal meaning. Taken literally, it says nothing what you say it does. It’s why you have no legs to stand on when you say she’s not a true Christian.

Similarly, Jesus says nothing literally about abortion, does He? It all boils down to how you want to interpret the words.
    Last edited by fanofclendennon; 07-28-2021 at 11:26 AM.

The so-called Counsel of God is still a subjective take. They are not God any more than I am. And all I did was read a literal phrase in the Bible and went with its literal meaning. Taken literally, it says nothing what you say it does. It’s why you have no legs to stand on when you say she’s not a true Christian.

Similarly, Jesus says nothing literally about abortion, does He? It all boils down to how you want to interpret the words.
    No it's not subjective. The Bible has been consistent for nearly two millennia. You can believe it or not. Totally your right which I will defend. However, there are no inconsistencies with the Bible. Every inconsistency that has been alleged has been shown to not be an inconsistency.

You do know that the Bible wasn't written in English, right?

However, taken literally it does speak exactly about those saved and unsaved. You are struggling with what a believer is. Your best chance besides being open and honestly looking to see if God is real is to read the entire Counsel of God....aka The Bible.

The Bible speaks clearly that life begins at conception.
    This link does a nice top level view on that: https://www.compellingtruth.org/life...onception.html

Do all Christians interpret the Bible the same way and if not, whose interpretation is correct?

Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    Do all Christians interpret the Bible the same way and if not, whose interpretation is correct?
    No, many interject their own views and make the Bible fit their lives instead of making their lives fit the Bible. That said, There is very little disagreement in the Bible among Christian Scholars. Now whether it is followed is another story.

No, many interject their own views and make the Bible fit their lives instead of making their lives fit the Bible. That said, There is very little disagreement in the Bible among Christian Scholars. Now whether it is followed is another story.
    I don’t know about Christian scholars, but there are many Biblical scholars who would contest the assertion that there are no inconsistencies in the Bible. There’s one right there in the first book, and it is even more inconsistent when you read it in the original language.

In Genesis 1, God creates plants, then animals, and then simultaneously creates man and woman. In Genesis 2, God creates a human, plants, then animals, and later he divides the human into female and male. Additionally, the two stories employ different names for the deity. The first account uses the Hebrew word Elohim, meaning “God,” whereas the second uses the tetragrammaton, YHWH (often represented by “Lord”).

No it's not subjective. The Bible has been consistent for nearly two millennia. You can believe it or not. Totally your right which I will defend. However, there are no inconsistencies with the Bible. Every inconsistency that has been alleged has been shown to not be an inconsistency.

However, taken literally it does speak exactly about those saved and unsaved. You are struggling with what a believer is. Your best chance besides being open and honestly looking to see if God is real is to read the entire Counsel of God....aka The Bible.

This link does a nice top level view on that: https://www.compellingtruth.org/life...onception.html
    Please stop trying to gaslight me. I know what I read.

Ironic though that you posted a link from a “nice top level view” rather than a direct quote from the source itself.

Hmmmmm.
    Last edited by fanofclendennon; 07-28-2021 at 10:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Crovash View Post
    I don’t know about Christian scholars, but there are many Biblical scholars who would contest the assertion that there are no inconsistencies in the Bible. There’s one right there in the first book, and it is even more inconsistent when you read it in the original language.

In Genesis 1, God creates plants, then animals, and then simultaneously creates man and woman. In Genesis 2, God creates a human, plants, then animals, and later he divides the human into female and male. Additionally, the two stories employ different names for the deity. The first account uses the Hebrew word Elohim, meaning “God,” whereas the second uses the tetragrammaton, YHWH (often represented by “Lord”).
    Have you ever look at how those two are not inconsistent?

Please stop trying to gaslight me. I know what I read.
    Not trying that at all. You are the one making stands and I am trying to help you where your stand is incorrect.

Ironic though that you posted a link from a “nice top level view” rather than a direct quote from the source itself.

Hmmmmm.
    You are unspiritual, by your own admission. That places you at a disadvantage at understanding.

You are unspiritual, by your own admission. That places you at a disadvantage at understanding.
    No. It just makes me objective. I can read the text in the Bible without any preconceived opinions of what they may mean. I just read the words as I would any other text.

But your “spiritualism” kinda makes you want to seek a deeper meaning into the texts than what appears literally. So now Jesus can appear to be against abortion even though he never explicitly says whether he is or isn’t. . Indeed, I submit that if someone is clever enough, they can take ambiguous passages in the Bible and make them say what ever they want them to, by adding a “nice top level view” to “explain” to the rest of us what it really means.

Page 62 of 89 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472 ... LastLast