Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 61 of 89 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    1 Corinthians 7:12
    To the rest I say that if any brother has a wife who is an unbeliever, and she consents to live with him, he should not divorce her. If any woman has a husband who is an unbeliever, and he consents to live with her, she should not divorce him. For the unbelieving husband is made holy because of his wife, and the unbelieving wife is made holy because of her husband.
    Thanks. This is not speaking of a believer marrying an unbeliever. It's speaking of someone getting saved after marriage.

Still open to reading the passage that ok's a mixed relationship, this passage just isn't it.
    Last edited by brett05; 07-27-2021 at 09:59 AM.
    My Ignore List: bklynny67, nastynice, OhSoSlick, spliff(TONE), zmaster52

of course that doesn't mean you can think 'well, I'm covered either way'
    Lol. No. But what it does mean is that the Bible is a tad ambiguous on whether my Gf (well, technically, we should be married but that’s a whole ‘nother can of worms) is ok in the eyes of the Big Guy by habitating with a non believer.

As for me, I’m not looking to have it both ways. I’m just trying to make it through life as best I can. To me, and this is entirely my opinion, adding God and the Good Book to the mix just complicates matters needlessly.

Life is plenty complicated enough all by itself.

It’s worth adding here that my GF couldn’t — can’t— fathom getting through life without her faith and belief in God. As much as I am a non believer, she’s at least that much of a believer. But as a devout Catholic, her faith lies in God much more than in a literal interpretation of the Bible. For example, she believes that people of all faiths — regardless of whether they believe in Jesus — will go to Heaven. As for me, she prays often that I’ll go back to my Jewish roots and give up this atheist nonsense.

But we don’t discuss it. We know where the other stands and neither is changing the other’s mind.
    Last edited by fanofclendennon; 07-27-2021 at 11:10 AM.

So, let me get this straight: all I have to do in order to be “made holy” is for my wife to become a believer?

And does becoming “made holy” mean I am saved and get to go to heaven?

Quote Originally Posted by brett05 View Post
    Thanks. This is not speaking of a believer marrying an unbeliever. It's speaking of someone getting saved after marriage.

Still open to reading the passage that ok's a mixed relationship, this passage just isn't it.
    Aside from your invoking the term “marriage,” the passage makes no reference to conversion or getting saved. “Being with” seems to be fine.

But as I said above, I concede the part where we’re not married. I’m not arguing that part lol

Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    Aside from your invoking the term “marriage,” the passage makes no reference to conversion or getting saved. “Being with” seems to be fine.

But as I said above, I concede the part where we’re not married. I’m not arguing that part lol
    The passage does speak to salvation. Believer vs Non-believer = saved vs non-saved.

So for your case, say you were both non-believers and your GF comes to saving faith. She should not be dating you any more as you are now unequally yoked. However, you are both unsaved, get married and now your GF becomes a believer. She should not divorce you because of your lack of faith.

The passage does speak to salvation. Believer vs Non-believer = saved vs non-saved.

So for your case, say you were both non-believers and your GF comes to saving faith. She should not be dating you any more as you are now unequally yoked. However, you are both unsaved, get married and now your GF becomes a believer. She should not divorce you because of your lack of faith.
    Yeah. You’re seeing a while lotta words that just ain’t there. But that’s your prerogative I suppose.

Yeah. You’re seeing a while lotta words that just ain’t there. But that’s your prerogative I suppose.
    Seeing words? Nope. Understanding what the words mean which you are missing? Yes.

It goes back to the whole counsel of God
    Last edited by brett05; 07-27-2021 at 01:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Crovash View Post
    So, let me get this straight: all I have to do in order to be “made holy” is for my wife to become a believer?

And does becoming “made holy” mean I am saved and get to go to heaven?
    No

The part so many miss is the concept of judgement day.......we'll all answer for our si...sorry imperfec...sorry bad things we've done in our lives...our comfort level (or lack thereof) when that happens is in direct correllation to the life we've led.
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

No

The part so many miss is the concept of judgement day.......we'll all answer for our si...sorry imperfec...sorry bad things we've done in our lives...our comfort level (or lack thereof) when that happens is in direct correllation to the life we've led.
    Shucks, I was just just trying to have a little light-hearted fun with my post (wondering if I could have my cake and eat it too, you know what I mean)

My apologies.

Shucks, I was just just trying to have a little light-hearted fun with my post (wondering if I could have my cake and eat it too, you know what I mean)

My apologies.
    my bad....hard to see the plan in simple text

try it again?

my bad....hard to see the plan in simple text

try it again?
    Yeah. I was going to tell my wife to do all the heavy lifting vis a vis believing, and, me, I’ll just ride into paradise on her coattails.

In all seriousness, I do not by any stretch deny some of the good stuff regarding religion and specifically Christianity — there seem to be a lot of good people trying their best to be doing good things. But when it gets too dogmatic or rigid or exclusive, I definitely get my hackles up — and this is especially true for me when it gets too literal re: The Bible.

Yeah. I was going to tell my wife to do all the heavy lifting vis a vis believing, and, me, I’ll just ride into paradise on her coattails.

In all seriousness, I do not by any stretch deny some of the good stuff regarding religion and specifically Christianity — there seem to be a lot of good people trying their best to be doing good things. But when it gets too dogmatic or rigid or exclusive, I definitely get my hackles up — and this is especially true for me when it gets too literal re: The Bible.
    and I don't disagree...which is why you've seen me say that I don't get hung up with concern about how literal to take the Old Testament....the New, yes..

And to me, part of the whole benefit of religion IS that people use it as a reason to at least attempt to be more ethical and moral human beings....which, of course, we could also both agree that some fail...miserably

"too much dogma' is a pet phrase many use for the Catholic church...just the fact they include a few books in their Bible no other denomination acknowledges (and the fact they think a full mass needs to happen for virtually any event) gives credence to that

Seeing words? Nope. Understanding what the words mean which you are missing? Yes.

It goes back to the whole counsel of God
    So that’s how it works? When the words don’t literally say what you want them to say, you get to assign any meaning you want to make up the difference?

Kind of all makes sense now. Thanks.

So that’s how it works? When the words don’t literally say what you want them to say, you get to assign any meaning you want to make up the difference?

Kind of all makes sense now. Thanks.
    I think you are still not understanding things. You do know that two different words/phrases can have the same meaning? In this case believing and being saved are the same.

Again, if you find anything that justifies you two being together from the bible, I would be open to changing my view. For me, Bible trumps an individual belief, mine included.

I think you are still not understanding things. You do know that two different words/phrases can have the same meaning? In this case believing and being saved are the same.

Again, if you find anything that justifies you two being together from the bible, I would be open to changing my view. For me, Bible trumps an individual belief, mine included.
    This discussion is a perfect illustration of what happens when you use the Bible to voice God’s words: You just admitted yourself it requires a human’s interpretation to understand it properly.

But which human? If only one, does that person become God? If more than one, how do we know which ones are the ones who have the correct interpretation?

Furthermore, why did God leave any room for interpretation at all. Better yet, why not make a visit every now and then to clarify his words once and for all?

Of course, all of that is silly. The reality is we’re left with individual interpretation, such as the different ways you and I have interpreted the same text. You tell me yours is the one true correct way of reading it. But that’s just an opinion that gets us no where.

Page 61 of 89 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371 ... LastLast