Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 89 1231151 ... LastLast

God, Allah, and YHWH

This may come off as snarky, but I am genuinely curious, would Christians, Muslims, and Jews say they worship the same divine being (aka God, Allah, YHWH)?
    Last edited by Crovash; 01-05-2021 at 04:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Crovash View Post
    This may come off as snarky, but I am genuinely curious, would Christians, Muslims, and Jews say they worship the same diving being (aka God, Allah, YHWH)?
    Muslim perspective is yes.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    RAIDERS, SHARKS, WARRIORS

"i don't believe in mysteries but still i pray for my sister, when speaking to the higher power that listens, to the lifeless vision of freedom everytime we're imprisoned, to the righteous victims of people of a higher position" - planet asia, old timer thoughts

"God is Universal he is the Ruler Universal" - gangstarr (rip guru), robbin hood theory

"don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" - bob marley, zion train

Quote Originally Posted by nastynice View Post
    Muslim perspective is yes.
    What does that mean regarding the so-called divinity of Jesus Christ? I know Muslims see Jesus as a prophet of sorts, but his divinity (and his sacrifice for human sins and his resurrection) are essential to the Christian doctrine.

Wouldn’t that mean the God/Allah is kind of like at odds?

Judaism, Islam and, Christianity all worship the same god but, through different views. Christians believe Jesus was son of God and the believe in him was the path way to God, I think Muslims believe Mohammed(sp?) was a prophet from God on the same level as Jesus and Jews worship God using the laws from Moses who was a prophet of God.

I would say from my experience a lot of Christians do not believe it is the same god. even when it comes to Judaism they for some reason do not believe it is the same god even though Christianity was started by Jews and because Islamic teachings are not quiet in line ( i think, I haven't done a mass study of Islamic views) with what Christians believe it can't possibly be the same god and Islam is wrong and Christianity is the only true religion.
    Last edited by PackerBum9786; 01-05-2021 at 07:49 PM.

What does that mean regarding the so-called divinity of Jesus Christ? I know Muslims see Jesus as a prophet of sorts, but his divinity (and his sacrifice for human sins and his resurrection) are essential to the Christian doctrine.

Wouldn’t that mean the God/Allah is kind of like at odds?
    It is somewhat, but thats not what's important. At the end of the day they pray to their creator, that's what's important.

"i don't believe in mysteries but still i pray for my sister, when speaking to the higher power that listens, to the lifeless vision of freedom everytime we're imprisoned, to the righteous victims of people of a higher position" - planet asia, old timer thoughts

"God is Universal he is the Ruler Universal" - gangstarr (rip guru), robbin hood theory

"don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" - bob marley, zion train

It is somewhat, but thats not what's important. At the end of the day they pray to their creator, that's what's important.
    Interesting — so, at the end of the day, it sounds to me like a god is a function of what the individual worshipper conjures up within the confines of his or her consciousness. One so-called Christian (or Muslim or Jew) could well be praying to a divine being/creator that — while it conforms to his or her individual image — may well be at odds with what the others in his/her faith imagine they are praying to.

I mean, this isn’t a radical observation given the individual human’s closed system experience of anything.

Now that there are now 7.8 billion individuals, it brings new meaning to Arthur C. Clarke’s short story entitled “The Nine Billion Names of God.”

Interesting — so, at the end of the day, it sounds to me like a god is a function of what the individual worshipper conjures up within the confines of his or her consciousness. One so-called Christian (or Muslim or Jew) could well be praying to a divine being/creator that — while it conforms to his or her individual image — may well be at odds with what the others in his/her faith imagine they are praying to.

I mean, this isn’t a radical observation given the individual human’s closed system experience of anything.

Now that there are now 7.8 billion individuals, it brings new meaning to Arthur C. Clarke’s short story entitled “The Nine Billion Names of God.”
    I'd say more like at the end of the day peoples intentions matter.

You are seeking objective truths, but good and evil are not objevtive truths. This is the nature of religion. That's why saying someone is praying to the wrong god makes no sense. It's like telling someone using the word loco instead of crazy they are wrong. It's just a diff language, same meaning.

I'd say more like at the end of the day peoples intentions matter.

You are seeking objective truths, but good and evil are not objevtive truths. This is the nature of religion. That's why saying someone is praying to the wrong god makes no sense. It's like telling someone using the word loco instead of crazy they are wrong. It's just a diff language, same meaning.
    Oh, I don’t think they are praying to a wrong or right god, or a good or evil one for that matter. Instead, since there is no objective recipient of their prayers, it just sounds like they are praying to themselves (which I suppose is fine — if that works for the individual praying, hey, why not?)

Oh, I don’t think they are praying to a wrong or right god, or a good or evil one for that matter. Instead, since there is no objective recipient of their prayers, it just sounds like they are praying to themselves (which I suppose is fine — if that works for the individual praying, hey, why not?)
    Yes, like I said you are seeking objective truths, objective recipients, you are attempting to understand philosophy through science. Wrong formula.

What you're doing applies to santa claus, not god.

But yea, I would say to some degree a person prays to themselves. How one understands their creator is very much an introspective process.

Last edited by nastynice; 01-07-2021 at 09:18 AM.

Jewish perspective, yes. We just don't get the whole Trinity thing or the Son thing. My understanding of Allah is that it's just the Arabic word for "God."
    "Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears – but they seem kinda sensible...."

Quote Originally Posted by PackerBum9786 View Post
    Judaism, Islam and, Christianity all worship the same god but, through different views. Christians believe Jesus was son of God and the believe in him was the path way to God, I think Muslims believe Mohammed(sp?) was a prophet from God on the same level as Jesus and Jews worship God using the laws from Moses who was a prophet of God.

I would say from my experience a lot of Christians do not believe it is the same god. even when it comes to Judaism they for some reason do not believe it is the same god even though Christianity was started by Jews and because Islamic teachings are not quiet in line ( i think, I haven't done a mass study of Islamic views) with what Christians believe it can't possibly be the same god and Islam is wrong and Christianity is the only true religion.
    All three are Monotheistic religions and no one argues fundamentally that the Gods themselves vary since each is one God. The differences are in how the God is worshipped and the religious Dogma surrounding it. It's not the Gods that set them apart since each God is fundamentally the same. Rather, it's the prophets from each religion in which the disputes start. Jews don't believe there ever was a Son of God. They don't believe in Mohammad either.

But Adonai, Allah, and Jesus' daddy are essentially the same God.
    "Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears – but they seem kinda sensible...."

Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    All three are Monotheistic religions and no one argues fundamentally that the Gods themselves vary since each is one God. The differences are in how the God is worshipped and the religious Dogma surrounding it. It's not the Gods that set them apart since each God is fundamentally the same. Rather, it's the prophets from each religion in which the disputes start. Jews don't believe there ever was a Son of God. They don't believe in Mohammad either.

But Adonai, Allah, and Jesus' daddy are essentially the same God.
    I wonder if that should include Ahura Mazda, Waheguru, Jah, Bondye, HU, and possibly Tenri-O-no-Mikoto.

I wonder if that should include Ahura Mazda, Waheguru, Jah, Bondye, HU, and possibly Tenri-O-no-Mikoto.
    Not sure. Aren't they non roster invitees for the Tampa Bay Rays this year?

Quote Originally Posted by PackerBum9786 View Post

I was raised as a christian. We were taught that it was the same god as judaism, but that jews just don't believe in the new testament/Jesus is son of god.

Page 1 of 89 1231151 ... LastLast