Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 10 of 82 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast
Results 136 to 150 of 1216
  1. #136
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Bethlehem
    Posts
    42,191
    I wonder how much the QB issue is of a concern with the coaching hire?

    Is it something where they donít get far in interviews because of what the org wants to do with the QB and roster and no interviewee wants that.

    I think they had sites set in a couple people and probably got shot down.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Blades View Post
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

  2. #137
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    57,625
    Stoutland will leave the Eagles and coach at Alabama next year.

  3. #138
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    91,314
    I am going to keep pretending that they are just being diligent.

    Yeah that's it.

  4. #139
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    57,625
    Quote Originally Posted by koldjerky View Post
    I wonder how much the QB issue is of a concern with the coaching hire?

    Is it something where they donít get far in interviews because of what the org wants to do with the QB and roster and no interviewee wants that.

    I think they had sites set in a couple people and probably got shot down.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I would imagine the QB issue, the cap issue, the GM issue, the owner issue...I have a feeling in some conjunction is making this a less than ideal job right now. Other places have more flexibility. The Eagles job is basically "you see this roster? You like it? That's it".

  5. #140
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    4,091
    Now Kellen Moore? I kinda like the idea of stealing him away from the cowboys and stats dont lie, Moore did help Dallas significantly, maybe he brings the same luck to Philly.

    That being said Philly is lost and dont know wtf to do. Thats why I say promote Duce.

  6. #141
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    17,501
    Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    I would imagine the QB issue, the cap issue, the GM issue, the owner issue...I have a feeling in some conjunction is making this a less than ideal job right now. Other places have more flexibility. The Eagles job is basically "you see this roster? You like it? That's it".
    While I agree thereís certainly an oddity here. I do think if they offered one of these guys those guys wouldíve taken it

    While I think luries press conference was absurd to say the least he did say that they were in no rush and donít care if theyíre the last ones to hire. Maybe heís not lying

    I think for lurie itís simple. I donít believe lurie ever bought into Doug fully. I think lurie only really was behind Doug after we actually won the Lombardi

    Tried to fire him in 2016 and never let him hire his own staff for his entire tenure

    I think lurie is just not ready to hire anyone. Seems like he doesnít want to make a misstep

  7. #142
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Bethlehem
    Posts
    42,191
    Quote Originally Posted by mnatiq View Post
    Now Kellen Moore? I kinda like the idea of stealing him away from the cowboys and stats dont lie, Moore did help Dallas significantly, maybe he brings the same luck to Philly.

    That being said Philly is lost and dont know wtf to do. Thats why I say promote Duce.
    Iím going to say Elliot, a great OL, and the best WR trio in the game did a lot more.

    Dak got hurt but their offense really faltered even with those players. OL was brutal too which lead to a lot of struggle.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Blades View Post
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

  8. #143
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    17,501
    Quote Originally Posted by koldjerky View Post
    Iím going to say Elliot, a great OL, and the best WR trio in the game did a lot more.

    Dak got hurt but their offense really faltered even with those players. OL was brutal too which lead to a lot of struggle.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The WRs sure. But Elliot and the line werenít good this year. I donít think kellens as exciting to me as pretty much any of the other options but for him to get asked this late says to me either

    1) theyíre making sure theyíve seen everyone on their list before deciding meaning this can take another couple weeks with daboll and Kafka still in the playoffs

    2) they havenít liked anyone theyíve interviewed which is concerning on some level

  9. #144
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    4,091
    Quote Originally Posted by koldjerky View Post
    Iím going to say Elliot, a great OL, and the best WR trio in the game did a lot more.

    Dak got hurt but their offense really faltered even with those players. OL was brutal too which lead to a lot of struggle.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    True. They were averaging 32points a game before Dak went down.

  10. #145
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    57,625
    Quote Originally Posted by last stand View Post
    While I agree thereís certainly an oddity here. I do think if they offered one of these guys those guys wouldíve taken it

    While I think luries press conference was absurd to say the least he did say that they were in no rush and donít care if theyíre the last ones to hire. Maybe heís not lying

    I think for lurie itís simple. I donít believe lurie ever bought into Doug fully. I think lurie only really was behind Doug after we actually won the Lombardi

    Tried to fire him in 2016 and never let him hire his own staff for his entire tenure

    I think lurie is just not ready to hire anyone. Seems like he doesnít want to make a misstep
    I don't think I believe the idea that these guys would have taken it. There are 7 openings right now (6 with Jacksonville likely off the board). If you're Robert Saleh or Arthur Smith right now, why would you sign a deal with the Eagles right off the bat? There are enough spots that it's likely both grab a spot. The Eagles are not so desirable that they need to sign a contract right now. If you miss on Philly, you have Atlanta, Detroit, or SD waiting for you. And if you miss those spaces, you can probably cycle back to the Eagles. If I'm these guys, I'm waiting on anything final from the Eagles and shooting for a softer landing spot.

    I think it's optimistic right now to watch the Eagles request to interview everyone with a heartbeat and think they're just being thorough. I don't think the Eagles have necessarily offered the spot to anyone, and I don't think anyone has turned it down (though I do think Riley and Fickell have both let the Eagles know they're not interested), but I also think the Eagles are probably getting enough back channel information to know that they're not the desired landing spot for these guys right now and they are going to have to go deep into a list to find guys in most situations. The Eagles opening isn't the worst of all time or anything, but out of the 7 spots free, you could make a strong argument it's the least flexible. I do think there's a good chance the Eagles won't be getting the top of their list, and will need to find the guy in the lower half. Sadly, many of these guys are young coordinators, who, also, don't have to settle on the Eagles. Brady, Moore, etc. can wait a year or so, too.

    I do think they're being thorough. But I think a lot of it is it out of necessity as they've gone through the process and realized they're probably not a top landing spot.
    Last edited by 1908_Cubs; 01-14-2021 at 01:09 PM.

  11. #146
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    17,501
    I do agree the eagles arenít the top landing spot. But I do think media opinion on the top landing spots are a bit absurd. There was 1 prized spot. Jacksonville. That spots been taken

    Everyone says SD because of Herbert and a good core of young talent.

    However they have an owner whoís historically brutal when it comes to spending and flexibility. Heís a bargain bin owner. Wants the cheapest winner he can get. Thatís tough to overcome as weíve seen with them

    Lions are a worse spot than the eagles. Atlanta is probably on par with the eagles as a spot. The jets may be better but have a pretty league recognized brutally incompetent owner.

    I just canít help but wonder if the eagles spot being bad is overblown. In a vacuum sure. But amongst the field I donít think so.

    And I do think it can be both. I do think they can be scrambling and being thorough as well. I think them being legitimately thorough also doesnít preclude them from not getting their guy as well. I mean in 2016 they didnít get either of their guys and settled on Doug

    I think the ďitís a bad jobĒ really depends on stuff we all donít know. Like the interview process. Whatís being told to these coaches about the QB situation. For example if lurie is saying ďQB is your decision whatís your plan. Iím open to all scenarios trading wentz, going with hurts vice versa, drafting a guyĒ then itís suddenly not a bad job. All things can be worked around in that scenario. If lurie is saying in interviews ďI want Carson to be the 2021 starter whatís your plan to get this to workĒ then ya you really limit your prospects of coaching

    Also comparatively to all other jobs no franchise has won more and more consistently than these other jobs. I mean the eagles have been in the postseason most of the last 2 decades. I donít know the exact numbers but it has to be at a significantly higher clip than every available job. And you have an owner (who Iím not a fan of right now) thatís shown a consistent willingness to completely open his checkbook

  12. #147
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    57,625
    Quote Originally Posted by last stand View Post
    I do agree the eagles arenít the top landing spot. But I do think media opinion on the top landing spots are a bit absurd. There was 1 prized spot. Jacksonville. That spots been taken

    Everyone says SD because of Herbert and a good core of young talent.

    However they have an owner whoís historically brutal when it comes to spending and flexibility. Heís a bargain bin owner. Wants the cheapest winner he can get. Thatís tough to overcome as weíve seen with them

    Lions are a worse spot than the eagles. Atlanta is probably on par with the eagles as a spot. The jets may be better but have a pretty league recognized brutally incompetent owner.

    I just canít help but wonder if the eagles spot being bad is overblown. In a vacuum sure. But amongst the field I donít think so.

    And I do think it can be both. I do think they can be scrambling and being thorough as well. I think them being legitimately thorough also doesnít preclude them from not getting their guy as well. I mean in 2016 they didnít get either of their guys and settled on Doug

    I think the ďitís a bad jobĒ really depends on stuff we all donít know. Like the interview process. Whatís being told to these coaches about the QB situation. For example if lurie is saying ďQB is your decision whatís your plan. Iím open to all scenarios trading wentz, going with hurts vice versa, drafting a guyĒ then itís suddenly not a bad job. All things can be worked around in that scenario. If lurie is saying in interviews ďI want Carson to be the 2021 starter whatís your plan to get this to workĒ then ya you really limit your prospects of coaching

    Also comparatively to all other jobs no franchise has won more and more consistently than these other jobs. I mean the eagles have been in the postseason most of the last 2 decades. I donít know the exact numbers but it has to be at a significantly higher clip than every available job. And you have an owner (who Iím not a fan of right now) thatís shown a consistent willingness to completely open his checkbook
    Eh, I'll have to disagree here. I think the Eagles spot is probably the one I'd take the least right now. I'd rather have the Lions or the Falcons because I think there's far more flexibility in creating a team you'd like, but I think Atlanta is probably the "closest". I also think I'd rather work with a new FO in Detroit than Howie Roseman right now. Lurie is becoming increasingly more meddlesome. If I'm a first year coach, this isn't the spot I'm taking. I'd wait. I wouldn't trust Roseman, I wouldn't trust Lurie. Lurie might not have been one in the past, but recent behavior makes you wonder if he trusted his last coach? If he was really butting in that much? Recent actions would have me pretty worried there.

    The Eagles open the checkbook more than some, but there's a lot of issues here. If I am going to maybe only get a one-off chance at being a head coach, I'd wait to find somewhere I'd be more likely to be successful in. Even if the Eagles are going to "rebuild" you have to expect 3 years is the max amount of time a coach is getting to do that. If we all agree 2021 is going to be rough, 2022 may not be wonderful either. How much time am I really getting to prove I can have a winner?

    I don't think the Eagles are the worst job opening of all time, but I think it's a pretty difficult landing spot as of now. With very few answers, a ton of questions, and little flexibility in the interim, it's a team you have to look at right now and say "I like that roster, I can do that". I think the Eagles will get a coach, I don't think they'll be relegated to a Caldwell or a Bowles, but I don't think they're getting a top coaching option other teams desire. I think they'll get someone who doesn't have a lot of options. It's either going to be here or they may never be an NFL head coach. Sometimes that works out and you get an undervalued option. But I also think that's the diligence being done here, because I think those will be the realistic options when push comes to shove.
    Last edited by 1908_Cubs; 01-14-2021 at 03:11 PM.

  13. #148
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Bethlehem
    Posts
    42,191
    Quote Originally Posted by mnatiq View Post
    True. They were averaging 32points a game before Dak went down.
    And then the last few games they had the same OL combo with Dalton (solid QB). And the averages like 30+ again.

    Things just got messy when Dak went down and their OL combos kept changing.

    Says a lot about continuity.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Blades View Post
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

  14. #149
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    3,385
    Is Stoutland going back to Alabama? This would be a huge lost.

  15. #150
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    57,625
    Quote Originally Posted by Kobe1016 View Post
    Is Stoutland going back to Alabama? This would be a huge lost.
    It's reported he's still under contract, but with no Eagles coach, it seems that there's a very real chance he ends up there. I think we're in a holding pattern.

    As a Kentucky fan, and as UK has been basically the best OL in the SEC over the last 2-3 years...I'd be doubly upset to see Soutland go to Bama.

Page 10 of 82 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •