Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 16 of 70 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Megatron View Post
    You do realize that Carr was 4th in the nfl in pass plays over 40 yards?

And tied for 8th in the nfl in pass plays over 20 yards?

I think thatís considered pushing the ball downfield.
    It does. Its runs counter to what Jon has done in the past. Personally speaking I like Gruden's willingness to open things up and scheme around his QB's strengths. Gruden's reluctance to stretch things vertically was a mistake his first time around much to Al's chagrin.

That's why I asked the question does Gruden look back to his run heavy horizontal game or does he continue with the present when he has the QB to go vertical. Ruggs needs to be factor next season.

Quote Originally Posted by raiderizer View Post
    D watson is overrated.No team goes 4-12 with a so called great qb.Why does watson get a such a huge pass?
    Now why did you have to go and say that? You know someone is going to point out that HOF QB Aikman once had a 6 -10 season; HOF QB Peyton Manning once went 3 - 13 one year and 6 -10 in another; HOF QB Brett Favre had a 4 - 12 season; HOF QB Kurt Warner went 2 - 8 once; future HOF QB Aaron Rodgers went 6 - 10; and...well, you get the point. I mean our very own Carr has records of 3 - 13 and 4 - 12 still fresh in his memory, and I think he's actually a very solid QB. Can't always reduce a QB's greatness to wins and losses. Coaches, coordinators and teams win and lose, not just the QB.

We can wrap up the Watson hypothetical at this point, but I'm just saying I'd be very interested if Houston decided to send him packing.

So did Gruden bring back Chuck Bresnahan yet?

Tell me Ruggs didn't tweet that he would be ok with a trade for D Watson. Tell me that video game kid didn't do that.

That's just idiotic.

Quote Originally Posted by mberr View Post
    So did Gruden bring back Chuck Bresnahan yet?
    Not yet, thankfully.

I believe Gruden is waiting to speak with a current playoff coach. Joe Barry, I think? He LB coach @ LA Rams.

It seems like Gus Bradley is the "media" prediction? I'm not sure what Gruden is waiting for if that's the case: Gus Bradley is available, make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Proximo View Post
    It does. Its runs counter to what Jon has done in the past. Personally speaking I like Gruden's willingness to open things up and scheme around his QB's strengths. Gruden's reluctance to stretch things vertically was a mistake his first time around much to Al's chagrin.
    It's not so much the vertical vs horizontal. It's the game managing decisions, as in when to be aggressive and when to be conservative. He had moments this year of going for it on 4th, and other times of settling for FGs or punts. The problem was, Gruden mostly made the wrong decisions in those situations, especially late in games.

In terms of handling of Carr and getting him to play well, I'd give Gruden an A over the past few years. And in terms of offensive efficiency overall, probably a B+ ... RZ predictability keeps us from a top 5 O and an "A", but there was a nice balance this year between keeping our D off the field, and taking shots downfield.

But in terms of his game management as a head coach, he gets a D or an F this season. Gruden literally cost us multiple winnable games with some of his bizarre decisions, where he essentially put the game in the defense's hands instead of betting it all on the O. Sure, we might still lose those games, and probably still end up 9-7 at best and still miss the playoffs, but at least we'd have gone down taking our best shot.

Quote Originally Posted by raiderizer View Post
    D watson is overrated.No team goes 4-12 with a so called great qb.Why does watson get a such a huge pass?
    He's very very good. In terms of him vs. DC, the main differences are stylistic. I don't think if the two teams swapped QBs there'd be an appreciable difference in overall record.

That said, I'd make the inquiry if for no other reason that, as others have pointed, out Watson is younger. QBs these days seem to hit their mid 30's before declining, depending on style of play ... guys who rely on mobility or arm strength will show a faster decline as they lose their ability to escape or lose a bit on their fastball, as opposed to a precision touch passer. Neither is likely to be a Brees or Brady playing well as they hit 40.

But Watson is 4.5 years younger, which buys you 4.5 more years of not having major QB issues. DC is closing in on 30, even if he becomes everything we ever hoped, within the next 3 years we should be looking to draft a successor. Watson would put that off for quite some time.

Nevertheless, it's not something I'd spend a lot of time on. A historically bad defense (and zero pass rush) must be addressed.

Quote Originally Posted by rubiconraider View Post
    Tell me Ruggs didn't tweet that he would be ok with a trade for D Watson. Tell me that video game kid didn't do that.

That's just idiotic.
    Especially when you just had a pretty spotty rookie year. Sorry kid, you haven't earned the clout to be weighing in on QB decisions. Can you imagine DC saying, "man, we really need a deep threat in the draft this year."

If the stupid moving accident was a warning sign, this is an indication that the kid's possibly full on stoopid.

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1348719059492331525

Josh Jacobs never charged with a DUI after all. After further investigation only charged with was charged with failure to exercise due care.

Quote Originally Posted by rubiconraider View Post

That's just idiotic.
    Can you post it? Donít have twitter

Since this is taking a while I hope Gruden is interviewing a lot of candidates for DC. Maybe even look to the college ranks if need be. For example Phil Parker from Iowa. Iowa consistently has one of the top defenses in college year in and year out. Plus Parker's specialty is defensive backs, he could really teach up the Raiders young defensive backs.

I just hope he doesn't bring in one of his buddies from the past, bring in the best DC he can find.

Quote Originally Posted by TrueFan420 View Post
    Can you post it? Donít have twitter
    What happened was someone posted a picture of Deshaun Watson in a Raider uniform. Both Arnette and Ruggs ďlikedĒ the picture. Couple dumb rookies

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfe-Raider View Post
    RLA has no problem trading 3 first rounders for him. The problem is defense, losing 3 firsts would put us deeper in the hole that we are in. I can't believe there is serious consideration for trading Watson. I am on the focus on the defense conundrum.
    As I prefaced earlier in my hypothetical, yes, trading 3 first rounders for Watson reflects how desperate I am for playoff runs. And yes, I'm crazy desperate. And again, I have every confidence based on the Raiders success/fail ratio with 1st round picks coupled with the fact that most top defense players in the league are drafted AFTER the 1st round that giving up those picks won't hurt as much as some imagine. It's not the deep hole you think, if the GM and scouts do their job. And if Mayock and Co. are the wrong crew to get it done, then go find someone who can.

Obviously, there's no chance at all that we'll ever get Watson. Hypothetical aside, I agree that the team's focus needs to be defense, defense, defense. I've been saying it so much over the last decade or so that it's practically my second name.
    Last edited by RaiderLakersA's; 01-12-2021 at 12:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by krsonekth View Post
    Since this is taking a while I hope Gruden is interviewing a lot of candidates for DC. Maybe even look to the college ranks if need be. For example Phil Parker from Iowa. Iowa consistently has one of the top defenses in college year in and year out. Plus Parker's specialty is defensive backs, he could really teach up the Raiders young defensive backs.

I just hope he doesn't bring in one of his buddies from the past, bring in the best DC he can find.
    My worry is that Gru will cast a wide net, but bring home a gold fish in a plastic bottle instead of a marlin.

Quote Originally Posted by HunterNRoss View Post
    https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1348719059492331525

Josh Jacobs never charged with a DUI after all. After further investigation only charged with was charged with failure to exercise due care.
    A good outcome -- but I still feel like the kid dodged a bullet here. I am surprised that most agents don't have contracts with a private car company to chauffeur their clients to/from games. After sacrificing my body and getting pounded and bloodied for 4 quarters, the last thing that I'd want to do is drive.

Quote Originally Posted by RaiderLakersA's View Post
    As I prefaced earlier in my hypothetical, yes, trading 3 first rounders for Watson reflects how desperate I am for playoff runs. And yes, I'm crazy desperate. And again, I have every confidence based on the Raiders success/fail ratio with 1st round picks coupled with the fact that most top defense players in the league are drafted AFTER the 1st round that giving up those picks won't hurt as much as some imagine. It's not the deep hole you think, if the GM and scouts do their job. And if Mayock and Co. are the wrong crew to get it done, then go find someone who can.

Obviously, there's no chance at all that we'll ever get Watson. Hypothetical aside, I agree that the team's focus needs to be defense, defense, defense. I've been saying it so much over the last decade or so that it's practically my second name.
    I get you KobeDefense. of course it is hypothetical, we have no influence. That is a lot of first round picks though. They are not only valuable to use as a selection, they can be used to move up in the draft or traded later. I don't know. I am usually against using picks that way.

"...prone to stoogery.".

Page 16 of 70 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666 ... LastLast