Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 41 of 46 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolphin North View Post
    Is he more of a play maker? Are they maybe hoping to gain more turnovers from the position?
    Hooker had elite levels of ball production in college. Looked like an elite FS prospect. Heís had 7 total INTs in 4 seasons, but heís only played in 36 total games in 4 years. Has yet to play a full season and only played in 2 last season.

Hereís the dilemma at FS. Bobby is incredibly smart and a great communicator. Obviously offers great man to man coverage ability with the CB background. But there has been tons of doubt of him being able to physically handle the FS position. Heís not that athletic so you donít expect him to make too many plays on the ball because he just canít physically get there. You also worry if he can handle the constant tackling that a safety runs into.

So the team probably wants a more impactful player at the position. Hooker and Holland have a good history of being playmakers. With Hooker in particular heís a great buy low option, but obviously heís an injury risk. You may take a step back in man coverage, but the team may just want to go more single high instead of cover 0 blitz like we did last year.

Bobby just isn't big enough or athletic enough long term.

hes a phenomenal leader and plays with great iq, but he can't keep up with any of the elite guys.

Bobby is a tad bit overrated by some Phins fans. He's alright as a FS, but nothing spectacular. As much as he may be the communicator back there, his skills and physical attributes are easily replaceable. Rowe is a bit tougher, as he is really good at covering TEs.

Both McCain and Rowe are on borrowed time imo, and I think both are gone after this year.

As for a nice 1 yr signing, I'd actually like Ryan Kerrigan myself. Ingram would be nice too.
    Last edited by CeltBruinSoxFan; 05-05-2021 at 09:14 AM.

God I canít wait for Bobby and Rowe to both be cut at the end of the year and then see us take a safety in rd 2 next year lol.

Both can be replaced, but I just donít think you do it right away. I think Holland can do more in that role, but I donít want to put that pressure on him right away. Thatís why Iíd probably play him in the slot this year and let him get comfortable with the defense.

On Rowe, Chris Kouffman made a great point about him on Twitter yesterday. His biggest selling point is his TE coverage ability. But as we saw last year, heís not good enough to take away the elite guys anyways. So why keep a guy thatís not as good of a safety elsewhere when the thing heís supposed to be really good at isnít at an elite level.

Iím cool with riding with both, but Iím also not going to be surprised with either is gone.

Then they may let Rowe go and keep Bobby to use as a mentor one more year. I bet they value the QB of the secondary role more than Rowe's coverage.
    IDK, but our defense will be very very good this year IMO. I just really trust Flores and his guys in that area, as do many people I bet.

I think they value quality depth at DB a lot more than say Edge or LBer. I think both McCain and Rowe stick for 2021, unless Jones and/or Holland outplay them in TC. Our DB unit is pretty stacked when it comes to quality depth. I think Flo wants to keep it that way this year. The DB unit is the glue to the entire defense.

if we add another pass rusher, that cap space has to be coming from the WR group i would imagine, not a DB person.

Oh yea Bobby or Rowe wonít get cut before camp. I think we could see Grant or Fjedelum get cut June 1st simply to get the money we need for the picks. Then go into camp and have everyone else compete.

Iíd love to sign Hooker or any of the notable LBs or Edge guys, but I just donít see it happening until camp. They simply donít have money right now, and based on what weíve heard the Dolphins arenít interested in cutting the WRs they have right now.

Hooker is probably a check in, and someone they keep in mind if they feel like they need to add him in camp.

Theyíre clearly interested in giving these young guys a shot. Theyíll wait to see what they have before making other moves.

Hooker should take whatever deal he gets to come here and hope that he can turn it around the way Van Noy did in New England. And I bet thats what we sold him on.

Flores has shown he pretty well understands what players fit his defense.

I saw this on the SB Nation web site. Overall not bad predictions but I don't think their WR predictions will come true. I can't picture in any scenario where Lynn Bowden doesn't make the team.

Miami Dolphins News
    2020 Miami Dolphins Depth Chart

2021 NFL Draft review: A look at the Miami Dolphinsí roster and 53-man projection
    By Kevin Nogle@KevinNogle May 5, 2021, 6:01pm EDT 12 Comments
    Share this story

es

The 2021 NFL Draft has come and gone, with the Miami Dolphins adding seven new rookies. While the team has not yet announced their undrafted free agent signings, we can still get a good idea of what the roster looks like today, and update our 53-man roster projection for the regular season.

I previously took a look at the 53-man roster back in March. Obviously, that was just a swag to try to find where Miami could be looking to fill roster spots in free agency and the Draft. Now, we are past the Draft so it is time to see how well the roster has been rounded out for the year.
    Quarterbacks (2 roster / 1 cut)

Starter: Tua Tagovailoa

Depth: Jacoby Brissett

Cut: Reid Sinnett

Notes: Thank goodness the talk of the Dolphins moving on from Tagovailoa is over now. This is clearly his team and the coaches/front office is building it around him. Brissett gives the team a veteran with starting experience to fill in if needed. Sinnett could land on the practice squad.
    Running backs (4/2)

Starter:
    Myles Gaskin

Depth:
    Salvon Ahmed
    Malcolm Brown
    Gerrid Doaks (R)

Cut:
    Patrick Laird
    Jordan Scarlett

Notes: The biggest issue fans have with the Dolphinsí draft class is the lack of a top-tier running back. Adding Doaks late in the selection process offsets that a little, but he is not coming in to take the reins of a position that struggled last year. Miami is betting on Gaskin to continue to break out as he was late last year. Ahmed is a solid number two, though Brown could slide into that role. I wanted to find a way to keep Laird, but the numbers do now work right now.
    Offensive linemen (9/5)

Starters:
    Austin Jackson
    Solomon Kindley
    Matt Skura
    Robert Hunt
    Liam Eichenberg (R)

Depth:
    D.J. Fluker
    Michael Deiter
    Jesse Davis
    Larnel Coleman (R)

Cut:
    Adam Pankey
    Durval Queiroz Neto
    Jonathan Hubbard
    Cameron Tom
    Tyler Gauthier

Notes: The five players listed as starters are likely the top five players heading into camp. There will be plenty of competition throughout camp, so this could change. Do not be surprised if Michael Deiter makes a strong case for the starting center role. Fluker probably serves as the teamís swing tackle, while Davis continues to play the utility role. Pankey and Coleman could fight for the final roster spot if Miami can only keep nine based on the numbers as I have it here. Queiroz Neto is officially listed as a guard now after starting his career as a defensive tackle, he probably ends up on the practice squad again.
    Tight ends (4/2)

Starter:
    Mike Gesicki

Depth:
    Hunter Long (R)
    Durham Smythe
    Adam Shaheen

Cut:
    Chris Myarick
    Cethan Carter

Notes: The Dolphins added Long during the Draft, but I do not think he costs Smythe or Shaheen a roster spot. Gesicki and Smythe should start the year as the main players in a two-tight end set, with Long being brought into the rotation slowly. Tight ends always seem to have a difficult transition to the NFL, so a slow rookie campaign could be ahead of Long, but he will turn the corner at some point. Shaheen provides depth in every aspect of a tight end role.
    Wide receivers (6/5)

Starters:
    DeVante Parker
    Jaylen Waddle (R)
    Will Fuller V

Depth:
    Preston Williams
    Albert Wilson
    Malcolm Perry

Cut:
    Lynn Bowden, Jr.
    Jakeem Grant
    Allen Hurns
    Mack Hollins
    Kirk Merritt
    Kai Locksley
    Robert Foster

Notes: The wide receiver position is going to be a battle all summer. The only sure thing seems to be Parker, Waddle, and Fuller at the top of the depth chart. The other 10 receivers on the roster could all have arguments made to make the roster and arguments on why they should be released. Williams has to prove he is able to stay healthy, Wilson has to prove he is ready to play after his opt-out year, and Perry has to become more consistent. Grant has to prove that (a) he can cleanly catch the ball and (b) is not being replaced by Waddle and safety Jevon Holland in the return game if he wants to force Miami to keep seven receivers. If you want to switch out Perry for players like Bowden, Grant, Hurns, Hollins, or Merritt, it really is not that big of an argument.
    Defensive line (7/4)

Defensive ends:

Starters:
    Christian Wilkins
    Emmanuel Ogbah
    Depth:
    Zach Sieler
    Jason Strowbridge

Nose tackles:

Starter:
    Raekwon Davis

Depth:
    Benito Jones
    John Jenkins

Cut:

Nick Coe
    Jonathan Ledbetter

Tyshun Render
    Adam Butler

Notes: There really is not a lot of adjustment here. Coe, Ledbetter, Render, and Butler can fight their way onto the roster, given that I only have seven players here for the rotation - but since it is only a three-man front, that is not as short as it seems.
    Linebackers (8/3)

Starters:
    Andrew Van Ginkel
    Jerome Baker
    Benardrick McKinney
    Jaelan Phillips (R)

Depth:
    Elandon Roberts
    Sam Eguavoen
    Calvin Munson
    Vince Biegel

Cut:
    Brennan Scarlett
    Kylan Johnson
    Duke Reily

Notes: The four linebackers in the starting group should all be locks to make the roster. The depth group should include Roberts and Eguavoen, with the rest potentially battling for a position.
    Cornerbacks (5/4)

Starters:
    Xavien Howard
    Byron Jones

Depth:
    Noah Igbinoghene
    Nik Needham
    Jamal Perry

Cut:
    Terrell Bonds
    Justin Coleman
    Javaris Davis
    Tino Ellis

Notes: This seems really light for a position group that has seen injury issues in the past. However, I think there is a possibility Miami looks to their safeties to be the depth if it is needed.
    Safeties (5/2)

Starters:
    Bobby McCain
    Eric Rowe

Depth:
    Jevon Holland (R)
    Brandon Jones
    Clayton Fejedelem

Cut:
    Brian Cole
    Nate Holley

Notes: I am leaving McCain and Rowe at the top of the depth chart here, despite thinking the team could move McCain back to nickel or release/trade one of the two. Holland is going to see plenty of playing time this year, and Jones should too. Those two seem to be the future of the position for the Dolphins. Fejedelem makes the team primarily as a special teams contributor.
    Kicker (1)

Jason Sanders
    Punter (1)

Michael Palardy
    Long snapper (1/1)

Blake Ferguson

Cut:

Rex Sunahra

Dolphins have informed team captain and starting safety Bobby McCain that they are releasing him today, per source.

LOL never listen to a thing I say about this team ever again. You guys are all right, Iím a massive idiot.

Mccain going was a cost cutting move. I expect Hooker will be signed with a incentive heavy contract.

Quote Originally Posted by KodytheKing View Post
    Dolphins have informed team captain and starting safety Bobby McCain that they are releasing him today, per source.

LOL never listen to a thing I say about this team ever again. You guys are all right, Iím a massive idiot.
    This happened quicker than I imagined. He was an alright NCB, and an okay FS. the talent and production did not match his salary.

Quote Originally Posted by CeltBruinSoxFan View Post
    This happened quicker than I imagined. He was an alright NCB, and an okay FS. the talent and production did not match his salary.
    Youíre 100% correct. Iím not surprised that they cut him, just that they did so early.

If they believe Jones or Holland are able to replace him I donít blame them for doing it. Theyíve done the same thing at every other position. But with how smart Bobby was and how he did so much through his communication I figured Flo would play it safe.

But nothing about this offseason has been about playing it safe. Take a swing that one of the young guys can make a bigger impact. Just donít be surprised when they miss an assignment.

Quote Originally Posted by KodytheKing View Post
    Youíre 100% correct. Iím not surprised that they cut him, just that they did so early.

If they believe Jones or Holland are able to replace him I donít blame them for doing it. Theyíve done the same thing at every other position. But with how smart Bobby was and how he did so much through his communication I figured Flo would play it safe.

But nothing about this offseason has been about playing it safe. Take a swing that one of the young guys can make a bigger impact. Just donít be surprised when they miss an assignment.
    I think that a rookie starting at FS is not as bad because MIA has two really good CBs back there locking down their WRs. Holland has the speed and ability to let his athleticism help him make up for some mental mistakes that will ultimately happen.

Would love to have Malik Hooker.
    Bachelors III . . . In the Inn. . . Lanas Garage 4/18/75 . . . lpswitch with Snake, Hards and Mendy . . .B.D.W.B. . . Ambition: I want Dooleys Job . . . Saturday Night Live . . . Bathroom Brawls . . . Living at Snakes . . . WHERE IS MUSKY. - John Tortorella

Page 41 of 46 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 ... LastLast