Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2021 Miami Dolphins Camp Thread

Mini Camp is right around the corner and Training Camp is at the end of July. Figured I’d make the new thread a little early. I’ll post some stuff that media reported on from OTAs shortly.

First big news of camp is that the Falcons and Dolphins will have joint practices before the preseason game.

Welcome Back Sweet Prince

First day of camp is today. Ogbah is there but wants a new contract. X is not at camp and is holding out for a new contract.

Figured this would happen with X. Hopefully we don't give in too much cuz I only see him having 2 or 3 elite years left and that is if he can stay healthy.

Literally the only reports coming out of camp today is that Tua has thrown 5 INTs as of writing this and it’s been pouring rain all day.

I can’t wait to hear everyone freak out about the first practice in June.

They sent a **** precedent throwing all that money at Baker at the wrong time. Baker is not even a top 10 player on the team. X is the best player on the team and has to be taken care of. Ogbah deserved a deal wayy more than Baker.
    Bachelors III . . . In the Inn. . . Lanas Garage 4/18/75 . . . lpswitch with Snake, Hards and Mendy . . .B.D.W.B. . . Ambition: I want Dooleys Job . . . Saturday Night Live . . . Bathroom Brawls . . . Living at Snakes . . . WHERE IS MUSKY. - John Tortorella

Howard is surely the best defensive player on the team, but the dude just signed an extension two years ago, and actually lived up to it last year. When he signed the extension, he was the highest paid CB in the league . . . the position markets change every year. He's not worth more than Jalen Ramsey, but he is worth more than Byron Jones imo. I'm all for giving him a couple extra million, but i'd also want the last year of this deal cut out of the agreement as well. Put him on a new two year deal. That will keep him through his age 29 season (i think). CBs decline after that. I'm not fully on Howard's side on this debate. But if a contender came sniffing around and offered a 1st rd pick +, I'd seriously consider it.

Baker's deal will look good in year 2 and 3 imo. I think he will live up to it and Grier was smart to get it done now. Ogbah has been super inconsistent and no way does he get a long term deal with MIA. two years? maybe. He was a beast from wk 4 - wk 9, but then disappeared for the majority of the rest of the season. again, a model of inconsistency.

Ogbah and Gesicki are in line for extensions, and if I have to choose only one to extend, it's Gesicki 11 times out of 10.

Quote Originally Posted by KodytheKing View Post
    Literally the only reports coming out of camp today is that Tua has thrown 5 INTs as of writing this and it’s been pouring rain all day.

I can’t wait to hear everyone freak out about the first practice in June.
    wait what!? 5 INTS at the 1st practice in the rain!? well s**t, here comes another sub-.500 season lol. I'm totally cool with him throwing picks in practice because:

1. the defense is supposed to be ahead of the offense, especially with our defense.
    2. Tua may be trying to do more things than he did last year, like just letting it fly.
    3. Picks in practice = Learning for real games imo

Tua, Howard, Ogbah + a 1st rnd pk for A.Rodgers.

Here’s some nuggets from yesterday’s practice.

Tua obviously struggled in the early part of practice. It was raining but it was also just bad throws. He picked up after the rain when they started doing a bit of tempo. There were also plenty of drops of course. Tua said after practice that he thought it was a good day, good job in the rain. Coaches asked the QBs to be aggressive and push the ball downfield and into tight windows. So literally everything any reasonable person would expect to do in a mini camp setting.

Following info is from the Heralds report outside of stuff in parentheses.

Media isn’t permitted to say who’s lining up where, but Kindley is “expected” to compete for the LG spot alongside Jesse Davis, and Noah is competing for the slot spot. But that’s of course depending on the Howard situation.

Adam Butler, the veteran defensive lineman lured from New England this offseason, was often in the backfield on Tuesday, applying pressure on the quarterback.

Receiver Robert Foster continued to impress. He made a sliding catch on a throw from third-sting quarterback Reid Sinnett. (He’s my favorite for the final WR spot.)

Wide receiver Kirk Merritt slipped a tackle after a catch and had a long touchdown.

Rookie tight end Hunter Long had some good moments, including a nice catch on a throw from Brissett. And rookie safety Jevon Holland had an interception.

Elandon Roberts and Preston Williams both did not practice but were there as they recover from offseason surgery. Geiscki practice in a red no contact jersey coming back from his shoulder injury.

Also Jalen Phillips apparently knocked down a player in practice and was sent to run laps for a good few minutes.

Here’s my two cents on the contracts.

I said in the FA thread I’m not the biggest fan of Baker. Dude was losing snaps at one point last season, which KVN seemed to hint at on Twitter by saying he came a long way from his “timeout” last year. But his skillset is super important to the defense. To have a versatile defense you need multiple versatile players. The deal may be a bit of an overpay, but that’s the risk you run signing players early. You’ll either be regretting it in two years or it will be a steal.

X deserves to be pissed because he’s clearly the top player on the team but the team went and gave Jones more money and drafted a CB in the first round. I wouldn’t hate doing a similar deal that the Pats did with Gilmore where they just gave him a raise without ripping up his contract. But at the same time, are we just going to forget all of the knee injuries? The team has to be safe about it.

Between the two I’d give Geiscki the extension over Ogbah, but I think Ogbah probably fits the teams plans more. Geiscki still has so much room to grow and has gotten better year over year. I truly think he can be an elite TE. Ogbah has had one good season in a scheme designed to create easy pressure. But the team seems to be looking to move on from Geiscki due to his role.

Welcome Back Sweet Prince

paying big money and years to Ogbah worries me. He's not an OLB, he's a true DE. I think our DL is stacked this year, and I think our base 3-4 would be stout with Seiler, Davis, and Wilkins. AVG and Phillips can be the outside pass-rushers for the foreseeable future on this team. Just not sure where Ogbah really fits in other than a DE in our 4-3 looks.

Gesicki is going to be so important to this team moving forward. If he's not extended, I'll lose my s**t. Dude is legit and is easily one of my favorite players on the whole team.

I think MIA will throw something at Howard to make him happy, but I am hoping they re-work his deal to remove the last year of the contract. I 100% agree with you that he is an injury prone player. It was a risk giving him that contract extension to begin with. But I also think Howard knows just how important he is to the defense and it's total scheme. I think they convert some of the contract to a bonus.

Lol Tua is looking like an MVP at the start of practice and it starts pouring again.

Team has gone inside after a lightning warning. But much more encouraging day so far.

From the Heralds report from today’s practice:

Tua Tagovailoa didn’t throw an interception on Wednesday after throwing five on Tuesday.

Tua Tagovailoa has rebounded well from his five-interception day. He completed several short passes in 7 on 7 drills and connected with Jakeem Grant on a deep pass with two defenders close by.

Tagovailoa completed a nifty 20 yard pass to Salvon Ahmed, connected on a 20-yard slant to Albert Wilson and was on target on a crossing pattern to DeVante Parker, who also dropped a pass.

Robert Foster made a great catch on a deep ball from Jacoby Brissett and walked off limping. But Brissett also threw an interception to Javaris Davis.

Per pool reports, here’s what happened inside the bubble:

Quarterback Tua Tagovailoa hit Will Fuller on a 20-yard crossing route. After two handoffs, Tagovailoa completed a 10-yard pass to DeVante Parker. On the next throw, Tua threw a bit too long to Albert Wilson, who couldn’t track the deep pass.

Tagovailoa then went 1 for 3 on goal line work with a TD throw to Mack Hollins while on the run.

Tagovailoa then went 0-for-3 in the next 7-on-7, goal line series. He was holding onto the ball too long and looking for open receivers instead of throwing in anticipation of where his receivers would be. Noah Igbinoghene had strong coverage on Parker on one of those Tua throws, forcing Parker to catch the ball out of bounds.

After that sequence, Tua “spent a lot of time during the break and lighter practice periods talking intensely with his teammates,” per Tolentino. “Following this series, he grabbed DeVante Parker and the two players chatted for several minutes.”

In the next stage of goal line work, Tagovailoa was 1-for-3 with Wilson having a potential TD broken up by rookie Jaytlin Askew.

Tagovailoa threw a 40-yard TD pass to Jaylen Waddle in the next series, and then delivered a 30-yard TD pass to DeVante Parker.

Then a bunch of stuff about Brissett being alright. Hunter Long and Robert Foster had 2 TDs in red zone work with Brissett

Geiscki is still wearing the red jersey. Ogbah wasn’t practicing today due to a minor injury he suffered yesterday. Everything else was still the same in terms of attendance.

And that’s unfortunately it until TC in late July.

Outside of the big names, a few players I keep seeing mentioned are CB Trill Williams, WR Robert Foster, and TE Hunter Long. I’ve seen a few writers say they’re impressed with Long and he keeps popping up. Williams has made a few plays on the ball and was a interesting draft prospect. Just dropped for medicals. And I’ve been on the Foster train for awhile. He’s honestly been the most talked about WR in camp so far. He’s just one of those guys that when you watch is always making plays, but he just never gets playing time.

Flo spoke today, and really the only interesting thing he said is that Dieter will be given a legit chance of winning the starting C spot. Said the Oline battle will really pick up in camp.

Also since Omar is the only person saying Waddle is still limping, Flo said he looks good running and that maybe the dude just might have a limp.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast