Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 43 of 47 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 ... LastLast
    Crazy to me people watched Tua last year with 5th-6th-7th string WRs and said he looked bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrench View Post
    Crazy to me people watched Tua last year with 5th-6th-7th string WRs and said he looked bad.
    Coming off of a terrible injury, hadnít played football in a year, had no offseason, and played with a bunch of young players who also didnít know what they were doing. And on top of all of that, he was playing for a potential wildcard team and had the coaching staff telling him play it safe.

Of course Fitz was going to look better. Dude was a billion years old and knew how to maximize literally the only two receivers worth a damn.

Itís crazy that everyone loves to defend Flo when I criticize his decisions, but the moment the dude decides to double down on Tua and build around him some people act like itís the biggest mistake in the world.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by KodytheKing View Post
    Coming off of a terrible injury, hadnít played football in a year, had no offseason, and played with a bunch of young players who also didnít know what they were doing. And on top of all of that, he was playing for a potential wildcard team and had the coaching staff telling him play it safe.

Of course Fitz was going to look better. Dude was a billion years old and knew how to maximize literally the only two receivers worth a damn.

Itís crazy that everyone loves to defend Flo when I criticize his decisions, but the moment the dude decides to double down on Tua and build around him some people act like itís the biggest mistake in the world.
    It is easy for people to say that someone will not be successful or elite . . . they have a higher percentage chance of being right in doing so. I see talent in Tua and also understand what you and others as well as myself have said that Tua is indeed coming off a major injury prior to playing in the NFL and he had 3 rookies starting on the line along with 2 WR's that opted out for the season and a merry go round of RB's . . . add to that no offseason training program and many other injuries along with the Covid issues. Tua is going to prove many of those doubters wrong in my opinion. I may be wrong in that assessment but I choose to think positive and not throw Tua to the side. We have done the right thing in building around Tua and have filled many holes while strengthening other positions and adding depth. If Tua does not take the next step then we will be just fine and have future assets to take a chance on another QB. But for now let's focus on the positives and support our team. I believe that the future is so bright that we will have to wear shades.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrench View Post
    I think its fair for some people to be concerned, Tua has some issues that may not go away with better WR. We won't know for sure until he gets more experience at the NFL level.
    Last edited by Plague; 05-09-2021 at 05:53 PM.

Its def fair to wonder if Tua is the guy or not, And I think the staff is doing the right thing by giving him this season to prove it. I didn't think tua was horrible, but he never had big games, and one thing that stood out the most is that he doesn't have any elite traits that he can depend on.

He had a ton of things going against him for sure, but also had a defense that allowed him not to force anything. Had he been on a team with a terrible defense he might of got really exposed.

If he doesn't perform, they'll use their stock of draft picks to go after someone else either a vet or another rookie.

Not sure how many times it has to be said . . . Tua was coming off a MAJOR injury, with an unconventional off-season. He had porous weapons to use, and two rookie OL starting most of the season. Tua was projected to be the #1 overall pick in the 2020 draft prior to the injury . . . we got him at #5. It's dumb to not give the kid the chance after getting him better weapons (Fuller, Waddle & Hunter Long), and having a full off-season and TC. MIA has the assets in 2023 to trade around for another QB in the draft should they feel the need to do so. This gives Tua two full seasons to show he can be a franchise QB. There should be no excuses this year, and definitely none in 2022.

If after 2022 it is apparent that Tua may not be the guy to deliver the team to the SB, then I'm all for trying to draft another QB. But right now, I'm 100% behind Tua and I honestly think the kid is going to light it up this year. I'm talking 4,000 yds, 30+ total TDs, 13-14 INTS, 69-72% comp rate. I'll take that in year 2 (first full year) of his growth.

Quote Originally Posted by TakeAnotherL View Post
    Its def fair to wonder if Tua is the guy or not, And I think the staff is doing the right thing by giving him this season to prove it. I didn't think tua was horrible, but he never had big games, and one thing that stood out the most is that he doesn't have any elite traits that he can depend on.

He had a ton of things going against him for sure, but also had a defense that allowed him not to force anything. Had he been on a team with a terrible defense he might of got really exposed.

If he doesn't perform, they'll use their stock of draft picks to go after someone else either a vet or another rookie.
    Had he been on a team without that defense that kept the team alive and in the playoff hunt, he may have been exposed but he also may have had some bigger games. He was in a delicate position and was clearly told to be conservative. Anyway, I'm no Tuaholic, but I agree, we just need to see how he does with an upgraded offense and go from there. I'm kind of excited to see how it goes this year.

If this team wasnít playing for a wildcard spot last year would have been so different. Tua would have been given so much more leeway and they would have given him more opportunities to either win or lose the game.

In Peter Kings latest article, Flo was quoted as saying ď If he had started the season, we wouldnít have pulled him. We put him in. Weíre in a playoff chase.Ē

It was purely because trey were fighting for the playoffs. If those games werenít as close or if the team was losing, we would have seen them give Tua a shot like they did against the Chiefs and Cardinals. At that point you never know if they just say screw it weíre going 3 wide and tempo all game. Sink or swim dude. And Tua might have been able to actually put up numbers that made people back off like Burrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Plague View Post
    I think its fair for some people to be concerned, Tua has some issues that may not go away with better WR. We won't know for sure until he gets more experience at the NFL level.
    Being concerned is one thing, but willingly writing him off after one season is the bigger issue. I know you arenít saying that, but thatís generally the only reason I get upset about the Tua talk.

Man I sure did miss the ďwe should move on from TuaĒ debate. Canít wait to argue against a brick wall.

Anywho how do you guys think the safety rotation plays out? Holland or Jones going to FS?
    Since everyone was curious, Drew Rosenhaus mentioned on some local media thing that they cut Bobby (who he represents) somewhat because of the Holland pick and that they think Hollan can replace him at FS.

So early thoughts are that Holland will be going to FS.

If this team wasnít playing for a wildcard spot last year would have been so different. Tua would have been given so much more leeway and they would have given him more opportunities to either win or lose the game.

In Peter Kings latest article, Flo was quoted as saying ď If he had started the season, we wouldnít have pulled him. We put him in. Weíre in a playoff chase.Ē

It was purely because trey were fighting for the playoffs. If those games werenít as close or if the team was losing, we would have seen them give Tua a shot like they did against the Chiefs and Cardinals. At that point you never know if they just say screw it weíre going 3 wide and tempo all game. Sink or swim dude. And Tua might have been able to actually put up numbers that made people back off like Burrow.

Being concerned is one thing, but willingly writing him off after one season is the bigger issue. I know you arenít saying that, but thatís generally the only reason I get upset about the Tua talk.
    I am on the I want to see more from Tua before making a decision. While I was skeptical of Tannehill his rookie season it wasn't until his second season before I made my decision. My biggest problem with Tua is he floats balls to wide open WR and sideline passes. He was throwing balls to guys wide open and the ball hung in the air so long that the players had no chance for YAC. I don't know if that is a mental or physical problem. If its mental it can be fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by Plague View Post
    I am on the I want to see more from Tua before making a decision. While I was skeptical of Tannehill his rookie season it wasn't until his second season before I made my decision. My biggest problem with Tua is he floats balls to wide open WR and sideline passes. He was throwing balls to guys wide open and the ball hung in the air so long that the players had no chance for YAC. I don't know if that is a mental or physical problem. If its mental it can be fixed.
    I think itís definitely physical. Heís never had the strongest arm and you could tell he was still getting used to the hip. He had some balls float and some balls just die. A good offseason can certainly help, but youíre not going to see a ton of zip on his passes.

Tua has to win with anticipation. He doesnít have the arm to be late on throws and still make it work. So he has to learn how to read the field better and of course just get better chemistry with his receivers. That way he can put the ball exactly where it needs to be. Kurt Warner did a great breakdown on YouTube where he shows a throw to Geiscki in the KC game where itís in between 3 defenders and he threw it before they could react to the route.

My concern is how long will he take to reach that mental level? Todayís game just doesnít give guys a lot of time to develop mentally like that. And can he create outside of scheme? Heís great at shaking free blitzers, but hopefully the offseason help him get a bit of the speed and off platform throws back.

I honestly think he is smart enough to already read NFL defenses better than any other QB from the 2020 class. I think he is already ahead of schedule mentally. He had an average to above average awareness as a rookie. But we'll see how he looks reading defenses on deep throws, since last year we had no real good deep threats. I think his timing is going to be really good this year. The zip on short and intermediate throws will still be there . . . but I do worry about his deep passes to Waddle and Fuller. Will we see them slowing up to catch it? I think we may see a lot of that to start the season.

Tua was a fantastic deep thrower in college. Iím not too worried outside of massive throws. That 30-40 range heís fine at. Anything after that you will absolutely see guys have to slow down.

Quote Originally Posted by Dolphin North View Post
    Had he been on a team without that defense that kept the team alive and in the playoff hunt, he may have been exposed but he also may have had some bigger games. He was in a delicate position and was clearly told to be conservative. Anyway, I'm no Tuaholic, but I agree, we just need to see how he does with an upgraded offense and go from there. I'm kind of excited to see how it goes this year.
    He never had any big games, so I'm not buying that if he was forced in a shoot out he would of been able to handle it.

Quote Originally Posted by CeltBruinSoxFan View Post
    I honestly think he is smart enough to already read NFL defenses better than any other QB from the 2020 class. I think he is already ahead of schedule mentally. He had an average to above average awareness as a rookie. But we'll see how he looks reading defenses on deep throws, since last year we had no real good deep threats. I think his timing is going to be really good this year. The zip on short and intermediate throws will still be there . . . but I do worry about his deep passes to Waddle and Fuller. Will we see them slowing up to catch it? I think we may see a lot of that to start the season.
    His ability to read a defense is def not the issue.

But reading coverage leverage was definitely an issue.

Page 43 of 47 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 ... LastLast