Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 48 of 74 FirstFirst ... 38464748495058 ... LastLast
Results 706 to 720 of 1106
  1. #706
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    10,097
    Quote Originally Posted by KodytheKing View Post
    I think this creates JUST enough to sign the draft class. But obviously thereís probably another move coming to give us some breathing room.

    I still like the move, because Iíd rather Kindley play than Flowers. But at some point we have to stop paying just to get rid of players.

    Edit: LOL it absolutely does not create enough space. This move clears up 2mil in cap space so even afterwards we still need to rework someoneís deal.
    Its a great move, but it likely increases the odds that we draft a non center lineman in the first 2 rounds and I am betting a center in the first 3 rounds.

    We have 11 WR. Likely we will keep 6. Parker, Fuller, Williams, and Bowden I am betting are locks, that leaves 2 left. If we draft a WR in the first 2 rounds that will leave 1 WR, but even if we don't draft a WR we won't be keeping Grant, Hurns, and Wilson. Best case scenario 1 of those 3 are cut. If we keep 2 then that means we are giving up on Matthew Perry, and I am not saying he is a sure thing but he is a cheap developmental player who I bet the Dolphins would prefer to keep. If we cut all 3 of Hurns, Wilson, and Grant we save 6 million. I am betting all 3 get cut.

  2. #707
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    12,866
    Quote Originally Posted by Plague View Post
    Its a great move, but it likely increases the odds that we draft a non center lineman in the first 2 rounds and I am betting a center in the first 3 rounds.

    We have 11 WR. Likely we will keep 6. Parker, Fuller, Williams, and Bowden I am betting are locks, that leaves 2 left. If we draft a WR in the first 2 rounds that will leave 1 WR, but even if we don't draft a WR we won't be keeping Grant, Hurns, and Wilson. Best case scenario 1 of those 3 are cut. If we keep 2 then that means we are giving up on Matthew Perry, and I am not saying he is a sure thing but he is a cheap developmental player who I bet the Dolphins would prefer to keep. If we cut all 3 of Hurns, Wilson, and Grant we save 6 million. I am betting all 3 get cut.
    I wouldnít be surprised if we go C and OT in the first three rounds. But I also wouldnít be surprised if we passed on both. Just like we have tons of name at WR, weíve got tons of names at Oline. I could easily see Fluker or Davis starting again next year alongside Skura at C.

    Personally I donít think Williams should be a lock. He was terrible last year. Iím sure the ACL bothered him, but he really didnít do anything.

  3. #708
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    10,097
    Assuming this article is correct looks like the Flowers trade doesn't give us 8 mil in cap savings but 2 million.

    The Miami Dolphins trade of guard Ereck Flowers to the Washington Football Team has just gotten downright bizarre now that more details have emerged.

    The first bit of disconcerting news came from ESPN's Adam Schefter, citing agent Drew Rosenhaus, that the Dolphins agreed to give Flowers a $6 million bonus to facilitate the trade and Washington will pick up a $3 million tab to give Flowers $9 million guaranteed in 2021.

    The end result for the Dolphins is a cap savings of $2 million for 2021, as explained by overthecap.com.

    "Miami will have $8 million in dead money for Flowers ó $6 million from this year's restructure and $2 million remaining from last year's signing bonus," Jason Fitzgerald wrote. "Flowers was going to count for $10 million on the cap for the Dolphins, so it will be about $2 million in savings this year on the cap and $3 million in cash."

    When it comes to 2021, all the Dolphins would have been on the books for had they moved on from Flowers next offseason would have been $1 million in remaining signing bonus cap obligation.

    So the financial gains from this move are minimal at best.

    OK then, what about the compensation?

    That's even less than minimal.

    All the Dolphins gained tangibly from the Flowers trade is 14 spots in the seventh round of the 2021 NFL draft, getting the 244th overall pick in exchange for the 258th selection, per Ian Rapoport of NFL Network.

    So the trade reads: Flowers and pick 258 to Washington for pick 244.

    Yeesh!

    Sure, it's not like the Dolphins just gave away an All-Pro offensive lineman here because the running game did have its lowest per-carry average going behind left guard (where Flowers played) with a 3.16 clip, compared to 3.67 behind right guard or 3.90 behind center.

    But on the other hand, Flowers did have the highest 2020 grade of any Dolphins starting offensive lineman, per Pro Football Focus, and he also was a rare veteran (though only 27) in a group dominated by three second-year players.

    Maybe the Dolphins figured that moving Solomon Kindley back to left guard, where he played his final season at Georgia, would represent an upgrade over Flowers. But even then, the Dolphins just gave up depth for again a minimal return and very little financial benefits.

    Given past experience, it's pretty safe to assume that General Manager Chris Grier and/or Head Coach Brian Flores will say the move was made in the best interest of the team.

    Barring more clarity, though, it just looks like a very strange decision.

  4. #709
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    762
    Quote Originally Posted by KodytheKing View Post
    Iíve consistently said Iím not as high on Sewell as others. I REALLY like Sewell. But the moment you traded a future 1st it changes the entire dynamic of the pick. This trade value is on par with trades like Mack, OBJ, and Tunsil. This has to be an elite talent that you think can change the franchise to be worth two 1sts.

    I keep asking myself, what is going to be the move that helps us beat Buffalo or KC? And I donít think Sewell or any Olineman does that. Tampa didnít win because of Wirfs they won because they have Mike Evans, Chris Godwin, AB, and Gronk.
    Or did they win because KC was lacking their starting OT's? And Mahomes trying to play on one leg. F they were lucky.
    Anyway, I hope it's Pitts / Chase / Waddle too.

  5. #710
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    12,866
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolphin North View Post
    Or did they win because KC was lacking their starting OT's? And Mahomes trying to play on one leg. F they were lucky.
    Anyway, I hope it's Pitts / Chase / Waddle too.
    And KC got to the Super Bowl with mid tier level players. It caught up to them with the injuries, but they won the last two years because of the playmakers.

    I mean look at what happened when the Bills added an elite playmaker like Diggs. Gotta have some elite level guys to win the NFL nowadays.

    An Oline is only as good as its weakest link.

  6. #711
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    15,304
    1. Chase
    2. Sewell
    3. Parsons
    Bachelors III . . . In the Inn. . . Lanas Garage 4/18/75 . . . lpswitch with Snake, Hards and Mendy . . .B.D.W.B. . . Ambition: I want Dooleys Job . . . Saturday Night Live . . . Bathroom Brawls . . . Living at Snakes . . . WHERE IS MUSKY. - John Tortorella

  7. #712
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    762
    Quote Originally Posted by KodytheKing View Post
    And KC got to the Super Bowl with mid tier level players. It caught up to them with the injuries, but they won the last two years because of the playmakers.

    I mean look at what happened when the Bills added an elite playmaker like Diggs. Gotta have some elite level guys to win the NFL nowadays.

    An Oline is only as good as its weakest link.
    I agree, the playmakers. You need some help on the line, but it's not like it was 15 years ago, when you needed to win in the trenches to have even a chance to get the ball to playmakers. I thoroughly believe that Mahomes on 2 good feet wins, even if his 2 OT's were on the shelf and he was being chased by great DE's. Some would disagree, but I think that is the case. But given he could not escape like he usually does, it would also have been interesting to see if he could have adjusted and pulled it off with his best guys protecting him. As you can see, I'm a huge Mahomes fan.

  8. #713
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    3,047
    I agree the team needs more playmakers, but its not like the cupboard is empty at WR or TE. We're lacking a RB1 right now on offense, and a good OC and RT as well. If we come out of rd 1 with, say Sewell and Harris/Etienne (whether trading back, trading back into rd 1, etc), then we fix two glaring holes on offense immediately night 1. Rd 2 can be spent on the slot WR and DL/LB.

    I'm not sure people are realizing that this draft is DEEP at slot WR, which right now seems to be our weakness in the WR group imo. Parker and Fuller are both outside WRs, as is Williams. Our slots are . . . Grant? Wilson or Hurns, who both sat out 2020? The concept of going Sewell at #6 should not be far-fetched by any means.

    Jackson-Kindley-Skura/Deiter-Hunt-Sewell is a really nice OL, which by standards was below average last year. Hunt and Kindley and help bolster the interior, even if Skura struggles a bit. And I firmly believe Sewell can be left on an island handling himself Week 1.

    I tried to warn everyone to be prepared for Sewell at #6 . . . no one believes me. and I'm okay with that. Cause I'd love Sewell on that OL.

  9. #714
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    16,376
    Quote Originally Posted by CeltBruinSoxFan View Post
    I agree the team needs more playmakers, but its not like the cupboard is empty at WR or TE. We're lacking a RB1 right now on offense, and a good OC and RT as well. If we come out of rd 1 with, say Sewell and Harris/Etienne (whether trading back, trading back into rd 1, etc), then we fix two glaring holes on offense immediately night 1. Rd 2 can be spent on the slot WR and DL/LB.

    I'm not sure people are realizing that this draft is DEEP at slot WR, which right now seems to be our weakness in the WR group imo. Parker and Fuller are both outside WRs, as is Williams. Our slots are . . . Grant? Wilson or Hurns, who both sat out 2020? The concept of going Sewell at #6 should not be far-fetched by any means.

    Jackson-Kindley-Skura/Deiter-Hunt-Sewell is a really nice OL, which by standards was below average last year. Hunt and Kindley and help bolster the interior, even if Skura struggles a bit. And I firmly believe Sewell can be left on an island handling himself Week 1.

    I tried to warn everyone to be prepared for Sewell at #6 . . . no one believes me. and I'm okay with that. Cause I'd love Sewell on that OL.
    You are right, the WR corp is deep.

    Not to mention, when is it ever the first WR off the board, who's the best?

    Last years first round WRs, in order of when they were drafted.

    Round 1
    Ruggs
    Jeudy
    Lamb
    Reagor
    Jefferson
    Aiyuk

    Round 2
    Higgins
    Pittman
    Shenault
    Hamler
    Claypool

    I know right?

  10. #715
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    3,047
    Quote Originally Posted by StayOnBoard View Post
    You are right, the WR corp is deep.

    Not to mention, when is it ever the first WR off the board, who's the best?

    Last years first round WRs, in order of when they were drafted.

    Round 1
    Ruggs
    Jeudy
    Lamb
    Reagor
    Jefferson
    Aiyuk

    Round 2
    Higgins
    Pittman
    Shenault
    Hamler
    Claypool

    I know right?
    I honestly did not think any of the WR last year were legit WR1 material, maybe except for Jeudy, who I thought would be the best of the group. But Jefferson proved my butt wrong LOL.

    But I agree, playmakers can be found throughout the draft. I do truly believe Chase is a legit WR1 in the NFL, and could take Parker's place in 2022 if MIA opts to move on from Parker. And Pitts is the unicorn of the draft, no doubt, and I'd love him as well. Those are the only two pass-catchers I'd want at #6. I personally would take Sewell over Waddle, but I know this team might think Waddle just because he is a HR threat at any given time, especially in the slot, where we need the most help this year.

    Outside Waddle, the draft boasts slot WR depth with Elijah Moore, Rondale Moore, D'Wayne Eskridge, and Tutu Atwell just to name a few. All have quickness and speed. We can get a slot WR in the 2nd or 3rd with ease.

    I personally believe in building a team with a QB, and then the trenches. So for me, Sewell at #6 is an easy choice (if Chase and Pitts are both gone). Then at #18, either take BPA in regards to DE/Edge, or LB, or RB if need be.

    My perfect draft is:
    #6 OT Penei Sewell
    #18 DE Jaelan Phillips
    #36 OC Creed Humphrey
    #50 LB Jamin Davis
    #81 WR D'Wayne Eskridge

    Our OL gets studs, our defense gets better, and we get a dangerous slot WR. I'd be a happy man. I know this makes others want to vomit though LOL. I guess I'm boring like that.

  11. #716
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    12,866
    Man I need this **** to be over. Jeremy Fowler is now reporting he expects the Falcons to take Pitts, and local Dolphins writers are acting like itís the end of the world.

    I love Pitts, and agree with Barry that it seems dumb to pass up on a guy like him just to get an extra first in 2023 and an early 4th. But itís not like heís the only good player in this draft.

  12. #717
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    16,376
    Quote Originally Posted by KodytheKing View Post
    Man I need this **** to be over. Jeremy Fowler is now reporting he expects the Falcons to take Pitts, and local Dolphins writers are acting like itís the end of the world.

    I love Pitts, and agree with Barry that it seems dumb to pass up on a guy like him just to get an extra first in 2023 and an early 4th. But itís not like heís the only good player in this draft.
    Yet most of those Dolphins writers didn't even have Pitts going 3rd when Miami was there... Just finding stuff to ***** about.

    What do you expect from Mando and the crew...

    If Pitts is gone, then that's the risk you take by trading back.

    Quickly, can anyone name a TE drafted in the top 5 that went on to be a pro bowler? No cheating.

  13. #718
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    10,097

    The Miami Dolphins have about $10 million and change worth of cap space but they figure to need $12 million to sign their draft class. That means that moves must be made this weekend.

    The Dolphins could do some restructuring and I anticipate we should hear about those contracts in the next 24 hours or so but how much will it actually save the team? They will need money to add players from the undrafted rookie group as well as an operating space for the season.

    In other words, $10 million let alone $12 million isnít going to cut it. The Dolphins will have to make moves they may not want to and the next three days are going to be critical as they work not only the draft but the roster as well.

    Fans are watching for news regarding Xavien Howard being involved in a trade but Iím not sold on Miami parting ways with their best corner on the team. I would look a little further down the roster to be quite honest.

    For me, as I have said many times on here, the wide-receiver unit stands to take the brunt of the roster moves. With 11 players already on the team, there is more maneuverability. Jakeem Grant, Albert Wilson, and Allen Hurns all could save the Dolphins almost $7 million if cut, if traded that number would climb to a little or $8 million.

    The thought of Miami being able to trade three receivers isnít reasonable but one or two may be gone by the end of the weekend or they may restructure their contracts shoving money into a more cap-friendly 2022.

    One player that could be gone is Clayton Fejedelem. Miami can recoup his entire non-guaranteed salary which would give Miami an additional $2.8 million in cap room. The same can be said for Durham Smythe. Miami would eat $158K but if they landed Kyle Pitts, Smythe would be a likely release.


    Another name to watch but also falling into the unlikely category is safety Bobby McCain. McCain is set to count $7.1 million in cap space. Releasing or trading him would save almost $6 million. The Dolphins could also move on from Eric Rowe who would save $5 million in space with only a marginal dead hit.

    There are moves that need to be made and moves that will be made but it is unclear how or who the Dolphins will use to make the cap more friendly but rest assured, all indications are that moves will be coming much sooner than later.
    https://phinphanatic.com/2021/04/28/...-work-weekend/
    Last edited by Plague; 04-28-2021 at 01:17 PM.

  14. #719
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    12,866
    Quote Originally Posted by StayOnBoard View Post
    Yet most of those Dolphins writers didn't even have Pitts going 3rd when Miami was there... Just finding stuff to ***** about.

    What do you expect from Mando and the crew...

    If Pitts is gone, then that's the risk you take by trading back.

    Quickly, can anyone name a TE drafted in the top 5 that went on to be a pro bowler? No cheating.
    Pretty sure Vernon Davis was the highest picked TE and he went either 5 or 6.

    Iím just ready for it to be over. This offseason has miserable lol.

    Btw I cannot wait for them to select Slater over Sewell. This board is going to be a full meltdown.

  15. #720
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    10,097
    Quote Originally Posted by KodytheKing View Post
    Pretty sure Vernon Davis was the highest picked TE and he went either 5 or 6.

    Iím just ready for it to be over. This offseason has miserable lol.

    Btw I cannot wait for them to select Slater over Sewell. This board is going to be a full meltdown.
    I wouldnt expect Slater or Sewell at 6. If the Dolphins don't trade down and Chase and Pitts are gone my money is Waddle will be the pick.

Page 48 of 74 FirstFirst ... 38464748495058 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •