Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 67 of 74 FirstFirst ... 17576566676869 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,005 of 1106
    Quote Originally Posted by TakeAnotherL View Post
    Could be planning on running a lot of twin tight end sets, and want depth at the position. Tua probably does well in that kind of system.
    Both QBs were much more efficient and effective in two TE sets. Like I said, the TE room had the best season of any TE group in team history last year. Godsey also uses tons of them. Pick makes sense, just probably a year earlier than we needed. But the staff loves to reinforce positions of strength.

Quinn is officially off the board to the Broncos. So we all agree that the Broncos are now a rival right? Stole two of our favorite players AND started the whole relief pitcher crap with Fitz.

Quote Originally Posted by KodytheKing View Post
    Both QBs were much more efficient and effective in two TE sets. Like I said, the TE room had the best season of any TE group in team history last year. Godsey also uses tons of them. Pick makes sense, just probably a year earlier than we needed. But the staff loves to reinforce positions of strength.

Quinn is officially off the board to the Broncos. So we all agree that the Broncos are now a rival right? Stole two of our favorite players AND started the whole relief pitcher crap with Fitz.
    Hunter isn't explosive at all, but he runs routes very fluid, and catches very well, and more importantly, can run a HUGE variety of routes and catch from those routes, thats what is most impressive, some tight ends look good but when you look at how little their route variety is they become a lot less impressive.

Hunter runs a huge variety of routes.

Tuas best asset is hitting his receivers off their break. So hunter makes sense for tua and so does a lot of a twin the sets.

YO WE REALLY HATE DENVER! They just took my dude Browning.

All my homies hate Denver.

I think the best way to look at tonight is drafting a bunch of replacements. Waddle and Phillips were clearly upgrades and players who have skill sets we were clearly missing.

But tonight youíre seeing guys that may be eventual improvements over notable players on the team a year from now. Holland replaces Bobby, Eichenberg replaces Davis, and Long replaces Smythe. Very similar to what Grier did last year where he got guys that fit very specific holes on the roster but may not be immediate day 1 starters.

The Long pick really put a damper on my mood, but I think overall itís a great strategy from Grier. Continue to be future thinking and get guys who can be cheaper, and potentially better, than important players right now. Worked out with Hunt and Davis, and Jones still worked out a role on the team. I just remember being bummed after day 2 last year because they didnít pick ďmy guysĒ, and Iím kinda in the same boat now. But now that looking for the reasoning behind the picks Iím happy with the direction.

Holland isn't just a replacement for bobby he was the best nickel back in the draft, and extremely good at tracking the ball and getting his hands on it, and also great at turning around with the ball and returning it.

The holland pick is one of those sneaky picks that will be looked back at and everyone will say, Wow what a steal.

As I said before, he took this recent season off, clearly people who knew how good he was told him he would still be a high draft pick, if he did this, and he was.

Flores defense thrives In the secondary and thrives off turnovers, Holland was a great pick for that.

Adding Phillips and Holland to this defense is such a huge upgrade and gives us new weapons to play with.

You look at a lot of the draft comparisons for Phillips and its either the bosa brothers or the watt brothers. Flores getting his guys, and lets not forget we got Noah developing still too.

This defense is on its way to being completely dominant.

Quote Originally Posted by KodytheKing View Post
    I think the best way to look at tonight is drafting a bunch of replacements. Waddle and Phillips were clearly upgrades and players who have skill sets we were clearly missing.

But tonight youíre seeing guys that may be eventual improvements over notable players on the team a year from now. Holland replaces Bobby, Eichenberg replaces Davis, and Long replaces Smythe. Very similar to what Grier did last year where he got guys that fit very specific holes on the roster but may not be immediate day 1 starters.

The Long pick really put a damper on my mood, but I think overall itís a great strategy from Grier. Continue to be future thinking and get guys who can be cheaper, and potentially better, than important players right now. Worked out with Hunt and Davis, and Jones still worked out a role on the team. I just remember being bummed after day 2 last year because they didnít pick ďmy guysĒ, and Iím kinda in the same boat now. But now that looking for the reasoning behind the picks Iím happy with the direction.
    We still need to free up salary to sign draft picks, undrafted players, and in season moves, some of these guys are going to get jettisoned sooner than later.

The more I think about the Hunter Long pick, the more I like it. For those that don't get it right now, Long is a TE that can do a little of everything, especially catching. Dude led FBS in catching among all TEs. He is a legit 'Y' TE. This pick is going to be looked back on as a steal.

Holland may not start this year, but dude is going to play. 2022 we will have brandon jones and holland as our starting safeties. Don't know about others, but I'm pretty excited about that. We clear $12m off the cap by cutting bobby and rowe, and we can also make Howard happy and give him some of that money.

The FO prioritized OL last year and again this year, and now we have a solid, young group of OL guys that are cheap and have high ceilings. Eichenberg is an A+ pass protector, which is what we needed at RT. Pop hunt in at RG, and Tua has some pretty damn good blindside protection.

I'm happy so far with he draft. Like some others have said, MIA didn't draft by name recognition, but by BPA and their board. Always trust the board.

Quote Originally Posted by CeltBruinSoxFan View Post
    The more I think about the Hunter Long pick, the more I like it. For those that don't get it right now, Long is a TE that can do a little of everything, especially catching. Dude led FBS in catching among all TEs. He is a legit 'Y' TE. This pick is going to be looked back on as a steal.

Holland may not start this year, but dude is going to play. 2022 we will have brandon jones and holland as our starting safeties. Don't know about others, but I'm pretty excited about that. We clear $12m off the cap by cutting bobby and rowe, and we can also make Howard happy and give him some of that money.

The FO prioritized OL last year and again this year, and now we have a solid, young group of OL guys that are cheap and have high ceilings. Eichenberg is an A+ pass protector, which is what we needed at RT. Pop hunt in at RG, and Tua has some pretty damn good blindside protection.

I'm happy so far with he draft. Like some others have said, MIA didn't draft by name recognition, but by BPA and their board. Always trust the board.
    Nice post!
    Yes you can see they are definitely thinking big picture, which is great. Although it feels nice to grab a Javontae Williams over a safety who may not play as much of a role this year, our RB is coming and you have to look at the whole of the players we got, not just one particular pick, comparing one player to who we could have picked at that spot. I admit I am a little antsy right now but when it's over I think we'll be able to see what the team is doing on the whole. Sensible strategy so far. They are thinking ahead at this point in the draft.

EDIT: Although just talking to a friend of mine, he has seen him play and describes Hunter Long as "soft". I hope he's wrong.
    Last edited by Dolphin North; 05-01-2021 at 09:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CeltBruinSoxFan View Post
    I wish I had a dollar everytime I heard this about a Miami player over the last 15 or 20 years. Maybe another dollar for every time a fan tried to justify a bad decision from our front office.

I'd be one rich man...

Was Holland so coveted that we couldnít have waited until the second round two pick though? Take Eichenberg with the first and Holland with the second. Keep the 3rd rounder next year...

I guess we will never know.

^^^^weíll never know. But they had him as the top ranked safety on the board, and we saw 2 go immediately after we picked him. We got in front of both the safety and OT run in the 2nd. Some may not like the players, but the team clearly prioritized adding them and didnít want them getting sniped.

My favorite part is I firmly believe they would have drafted him over Williams. Which would have been even funnier.

Quote Originally Posted by TakeAnotherL View Post
    Holland isn't just a replacement for bobby he was the best nickel back in the draft, and extremely good at tracking the ball and getting his hands on it, and also great at turning around with the ball and returning it.

The holland pick is one of those sneaky picks that will be looked back at and everyone will say, Wow what a steal.

As I said before, he took this recent season off, clearly people who knew how good he was told him he would still be a high draft pick, if he did this, and he was.

Flores defense thrives In the secondary and thrives off turnovers, Holland was a great pick for that.
    His nickel play is the underrated part of the pick. Heís clearly set to replace either Bobby, but I think early on he fills the nickel role. My favorite part of this regime is that every rookie comes in with a very clear and defined role to play in year 1. Considering how important Bobby is to this defense, I would be stunned if heís not on the team this year. I think we open up cap space by cutting the WRs first, so no need to rush moving on from Bobby.

Have Holland play nickel this year, then move him to FS and potentially move Bobby.
    Last edited by KodytheKing; 05-01-2021 at 09:53 AM.

Dude I cannot wait to either watch all of the RBs go before our next pick, or for one to fall and then we draft a CB. Itís going to be so fun.

Quote Originally Posted by _Supreme_ View Post
    Was Holland so coveted that we couldnít have waited until the second round two pick though? Take Eichenberg with the first and Holland with the second. Keep the 3rd rounder next year...

In fairness to them (read my posts, I'm not defending them) but Holland very likely was going to Dallas when they were up on the clock again. Now, Miami could have still done the smart thing and drafted Jenkins and then traded up ahead of Dallas if they really wanted Holland, but I don't think he'd have been there when their second pick came around.

A lot of people are mad the Broncos sniped us for a RB but based on the comments by Flo and Grier, RB wouldn't have been their pick anyways. They don't have any interest in investing into the position... For whatever reason.

I do like they grabbed a tackle, they should have used a high pick on a tackle but like usual, they grabbed the wrong one. This draft could have been so so much better, and I know every pick will be defended and I'll be told how much these guys fit the team and how these guys will be elite but frankly I've been hearing that for the better part of 20 years on these boards and it's a tiresome argument. We do this every year, as we watch smarter and better teams grab elite talent that fall while we trade up or reach for players other teams are avoiding or holding out on. I'm sure I'll hear how I need to be patient, Jackson will be fine, Iggy will be fine and how good Holland is etc etc but until I see some actual results, I'm not buying it. I'll point out as well that we wouldn't need a safety, if we just kept fitz and knew how to use him. Another gem of a trade, unless you think Jackson > fitz and if so, I have some ocean view property in Montana for sale. Thank ****ing Christ for the tunsil trade, the one home run from this regime,or we would be in serious trouble. It's a shame too because i think Flo is a damn good coach. He gets more with less (maybe less in the draft is what they are going for) but as a fan, it's hella frustrating.

Every year, this team makes the same mistakes. It's really no wonder we can't catch the Bills/Ravens/anyone else in the AFC, because they just aren't good enough.

I'll see myself out, rant over.

Quote Originally Posted by _Supreme_ View Post

My thinking as well . . . but it is easy for us to sit back and second guess. We don't have to face the ire of Miami nation if we make a mistake in who is drafted. Overall we grabbed some good players and appear to have taken a step or two forward in our talent level. Only time will tell . . .

Donít get me wrong though, I am not unhappy with the actual guys we got.

Page 67 of 74 FirstFirst ... 17576566676869 ... LastLast