Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Raiders 2021 Season: The Real Test Cometh!!!!

I mentioned this in the game thread, but thought I might as well start a new thread to discuss next season. If you thought this season was fun, you're going to love next season when the Raiders entertain the 7th hardest schedule in the league. Better eat your Wheaties!

Read 'em and weep:
    https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2020/12...n-this-season/

Also worth a glance or two:
    https://fbschedules.com/nfl-2021/team/las-vegas-raiders

This team plays the way it does with little deference to the strength of opponents. For years I have totally disregarded the strength of schedule issue and I donít think the Raiders do either. The empirical evidence is there as we play down to lesser opponents and beat up on the supposed superior ones.

Sorry RLAs, I donít buy it...
    The Second protects the First, always has and always will...

They had a relatively easy schedule this year and they still couldn't make the playoffs.
    Last edited by erickench; 01-02-2021 at 10:12 PM.

Gruden's job doesn't get easier. He better get his butt in gear.

Quote Originally Posted by erickench View Post
    They had a relativiely easy schedule this year and they still couldn't make the playoffs.
    I was curious about how we were originally ranked and how we ended up. Our original projection was 11th toughest strength of schedule. We ended up at 4th toughest if Iím looking at the right numbers.

So we really had one of the toughest strength of schedules. Not that it mattered though...

We beat teams like KC and NO. Then lost (and nearly lost) games we shouldnít lose.

Bottom line for me is getting ourselves fixed and consistent. Next years SOS is greatly affected by KCs record. This year, we showed we can play with them. Even beat them. So removing that opponent form the list, I think we can make the playoffs given the right offseason moves.

Quote Originally Posted by corralski View Post
    This team plays the way it does with little deference to the strength of opponents. For years I have totally disregarded the strength of schedule issue and I donít think the Raiders do either. The empirical evidence is there as we play down to lesser opponents and beat up on the supposed superior ones.

Sorry RLAs, I donít buy it...
    I went into this season thinking we could compete with any team on the schedule. I was wrong. Now I'm not as convinced that it knows how to play at a consistently high level. If the front office doesn't attack the team's flaws during the offseason, I have no doubt that the Raiders will have a top 5 draft pick in 2022.
    Last edited by RaiderLakersA's; 01-02-2021 at 08:24 PM.

actually... next year's schedule seems to be a lot more favorable.

Home: DEN/KC/LAC... Baltimore, Cincinnati, Philadelphia, Washington, and most likely Miami.
    Away: DEN/KC/LAC... Cleveland, Dallas, NY Giants, Pittsburgh, and most likely Indianapolis.

We're facing the NFC East next year... that's a huge win... and I don't think the teams from the AFC North will be as strong as they were this year.

I donít think it will be as hard. We upgrade our d. It should be easier for us as a better team overall. Depending on how we upgrade through draft and fa. And cut lose folks like Williams, Trent, Harris. Etc

Bengals, philly, giants and cowboys are not good at all. Cowboys have no sign of any defense. We should def win against chargers and broncos. Then we gotta knock somebody off.

A good team will play up to its schedule. Look, the Raiders are very easily a contender with a serviceable defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Proximo View Post
    A good team will play up to its schedule. Look, the Raiders are very easily a contender with a serviceable defense.
    ^ Yeah, about that ... the Raiders have been in the top-20 in points allowed 4 times since 2000: '00, '01, '02, '06, and then 20th in '10, '16 and '17.

The only consistent trend: press-man coverage. The franchise insists on running an antiquated defensive system that no longer works. What will it take to change the institutional rationale on that one particular topic? It's madness.

*Edit -- Wait, worse schedule? Huh? How is that even possible? The Raiders played 4 division winners (Chiefs, Saints, Bills, Colts) and 3 wildcard teams (Bucs, Browns, Dolphins) -- That's 8 games against playoff teams. The other 8 games were against the competitive Chargers (x2), the Broncos (x2), the Jets, Falcons, Panthers and Patriots. So... 2-3 'easy' games all year.

It won't be harder than this for the Raiders next year.
    Last edited by Shred003; 01-03-2021 at 01:22 PM.

confirmed schedule for the 2021 season...

Home: DEN/KC/LAC... Baltimore, Cincinnati, Philadelphia, Washington, and Miami.
    Away: DEN/KC/LAC... Cleveland, Dallas, NY Giants, Pittsburgh, and Indianapolis.

I like it. Seems to be much easier than 2020... now we just need to fix the damned defense.

To look at the Ď21 schedule and say it will be easier for the Raiders is to put them in a vacuum talent wise and I donít think the ineptitude has hit bottom yet.

These guys would eff up a wet dream....
    The Second protects the First, always has and always will...

Quote Originally Posted by GeniusLoci View Post
    confirmed schedule for the 2021 season...

Home: DEN/KC/LAC... Baltimore, Cincinnati, Philadelphia, Washington, and Miami.
    Away: DEN/KC/LAC... Cleveland, Dallas, NY Giants, Pittsburgh, and Indianapolis.

I like it. Seems to be much easier than 2020... now we just need to fix the damned defense.
    I don't see "easier" than 2020 at all. But we'll have to wait and see what the offseason brings.