Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

“Snacks” Harrison happy to be a Packer after unwanted waiver; fair or foul?

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ed-by-packers/

So the story is Harrison asked for his release, while stating he didn’t want to go through waivers, that he rather hang it up. Well Seattle releases him, he’s claimed by the Packers, some were shocked, and he responds to a tweet saying “Bingo”. The tweet said the retirement threat was to make sure he ended up with a few certain teams.

Now it’s safe to say that in order for teams to know this to put in the claim, someone communicated to the teams what he’s willing to do.

So what say you? Fair or foul for him to force a release, claim he would rather retire, then be willing to go through a process he didn’t want to because a certain team picked him up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fair. Glad he ended up somewhere he wants to play. Nice to see players get to choose where they play, I like when they have that power.
    Last edited by blams; 12-31-2020 at 10:06 AM.

Click here to register!

Hope to see some new posters around here soon.

Fair. Teams should be smarter.

I’m gonna go over to foul here. Obviously something was communicated to at least the Packers that he would play for them if claimed and not other potential playoff teams ahead of them. That would be an easy case of tampering.

It’s fair that he wanted out though.

What's supposed to be foul about it? Anyone could have claimed him.

Didn't Terrell Suggs do the same thing last season?

Quote Originally Posted by blams View Post
    Fair. Glad he ended up somewhere he wants to play. Nice to see players get to choose where they play, I like when they have that power.
    Not on week 16 of the season. The waiver exists for a reason, otherwise every aging vet will want to jump ship to the best teams just in time for playoffs. It's another reason why the trade deadline is at mid season.

Quote Originally Posted by BDawk4Prez View Post
    Fair. Teams should be smarter.
    This 100%. If no team put in a claim how can you cry foul?

How many college kids say or it’s at least said that they wouldn’t play for a certain team if drafted?

Every other team in front of GB had the opportunity to claim him regardless of his said intentions.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Blades View Post
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

Quote Originally Posted by manbearchef View Post
    Not on week 16 of the season. The waiver exists for a reason, otherwise every aging vet will want to jump ship to the best teams just in time for playoffs. It's another reason why the trade deadline is at mid season.

This 100%. If no team put in a claim how can you cry foul?
    Well, why would Seattle even release him then on week 16?

Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Blades View Post
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

I mean, he wasn’t playing in Seattle anyway..

Was he supposed to just sit there and allow Seattle to play other players over him? He mighta worked the system, sure, but all parties got what they wanted. Seattle got to play younger players instead of an aging vet, Harrison got to go to a playoff team that can give him more snaps, and Green Bay gets a defensive tackle that is pretty good against the run, something they’ve struggled with. Everybody wins.

Seattle was controlling Harrison’s future by not playing him, and now Harrison figured out a way to control his own future.

Quote Originally Posted by koldjerky View Post
    Well, why would Seattle even release him then on week 16?

One team's trash is another team's treasure. Theres always guys who just don't mesh with one team or don't fit the situation they're in who could be a big difference maker elsewhere. Some aging edge rusher is probably struggling to succeed as a starter on a bad team, but could contribute on a team where they're only asked to play limited snaps (see Suggs last year).

Quote Originally Posted by QQQ View Post
    I mean, he wasn’t playing in Seattle anyway..

Was he supposed to just sit there and allow Seattle to play other players over him? He mighta worked the system, sure, but all parties got what they wanted. Seattle got to play younger players instead of an aging vet, Harrison got to go to a playoff team that can give him more snaps, and Green Bay gets a defensive tackle that is pretty good against the run, something they’ve struggled with. Everybody wins.

Seattle was controlling Harrison’s future by not playing him, and now Harrison figured out a way to control his own future.
    Like I said, I have no issue with him wanting to be released from Seattle. I take up the issue with manipulating the waiver system (where any team can make the claim) to end up at a specific spot.

Asking for release is fair. Publicly claiming you’ll retire to scare off waiver claims is fair. If he called another team to let them know that doesn’t apply to them then that would be foul IMO.

Problem is you’re never going to trace it. He’s not going to call the packers. His agent will who probably has other clients he can hide behind. Or he tells a friend who tells the team. There’s never really going to be a way to enforce the tampering.

The rich get richer. This Packers team is one of the most stacked teams in recent memory.
    The Baker has come. Believe the hype.

Meh. It’s not like Snacks is Aaron Donald. He’s been average to below average for a while now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast