Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Gruden's Return to the NFL

I figured it was just a matter of time before the sports media started taking a closer look at Gruden and started throwing daggers instead of fluffy softballs. It's going to be a looooooong offseason.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...aign=editorial

Its feels more painful to read it than to live it

if only Tanner Muse played this year we would be Superbowl bound!

Quote Originally Posted by RaiderLakersA's View Post
    I figured it was just a matter of time before the sports media started taking a closer look at Gruden and started throwing daggers instead of fluffy softballs. It's going to be a looooooong offseason.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...aign=editorial
    It's easy for a reporter to judge from the cheap seats. The O has improved, but the D should have been his priority. I think he must have thought that with the O being pretty good, it would suffice. Well, now we know differently. I give Gruden one more year to fix the D. If it's the same next year, then changes should be made. Like I've said before that there's a serious disconnect between the players and the coaches.

The terms of Gruden's contract are asinine. He has had some success as a coach but his career winning percentage is a unremarkable .507. Not exactly Maddenesque. You take away the Super Bowl win that Tony Dungy cosigned on, you essentially have Marv Lewis (.518 career winning percentage) and at least Marv could put together a decent defense once in awhile.

Gruden has never been successful in the quasi GM role and I think Mark Davis was more enamored with the personality and nostalgia rather than being objective about what Jon is and is not and WTF has Mark Mayock ever done?...

Fun fact of the day. Jon Gruden coached teams are 23-42 in the month of December.

In rural America parlance. Jon Gruden is all hat and no cowboy.

Quote Originally Posted by dbacknick View Post
    It's easy for a reporter to judge from the cheap seats. The O has improved, but the D should have been his priority. I think he must have thought that with the O being pretty good, it would suffice. Well, now we know differently. I give Gruden one more year to fix the D. If it's the same next year, then changes should be made. Like I've said before that there's a serious disconnect between the players and the coaches.
    There is a significant lack of talent on the defensive side of the ball and depending on who he selects for the next DC it is a real up hill climb to improve this defense well enough to make much of a difference for next season.

They have not done well with FA acquisitions or draft picks on defense except Crosby and he was not the force this year that he was last year. Buckner vs Marinelli? Seems like the DL played much stronger under Buckner.

If he can bring about an improvement with the defense with a few good FA's and a better draft this off season then he earns another year in my opinion. If not then Mark really needs to reshuffle the deck.

Chances are were in for a long ride before we see the light at the end of the tunnel. Apparently Mark believes the fans are fine with another few years of bottom feeding.

Changing the HC would still have us at the bottom while they instituted their system and brought in their staff so rolling one more year with Gruden is probably the best thing to do to see if he can get it worked out.

We'll see

He's never really done much with a defense of his own making. Everyone knew back in the day Al Davis was in charge of the D and he was the GM. Gruden's job his first stint in Oakland was improving the offense and getting the team to play harder. Gannon was his pick and Al gave him that over his guy George. After Gruden left Calllihan opened up the offense Gannon (MVP) and Garner went Madden mode.

His job in Tampa was almost the same inspire the team and improve the offense enough so they could get a Super Bowl out of Dungy's and Kiffen's defense before they got too old, he did that to his credit.

When he is the defacto GM with full control, Gruden hasn't drafted well, developed any young QBs or put together a defense. Gruden needs help to be his best, but he seems like a guy that would refuse for his own ego if the person he hired might outshine him. IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Kevj77 View Post
    He's never really done much with a defense of his own making. Everyone knew back in the day Al Davis was in charge of the D and he was the GM. Gruden's job his first stint in Oakland was improving the offense and getting the team to play harder. Gannon was his pick and Al gave him that over his guy George. After Gruden left Calllihan opened up the offense Gannon (MVP) and Garner went Madden mode.

His job in Tampa was almost the same inspire the team and improve the offense enough so they could get a Super Bowl out of Dungy's and Kiffen's defense before they got too old, he did that to his credit.

When he is the defacto GM with full control, Gruden hasn't drafted well, developed any young QBs or put together a defense. Gruden needs help to be his best, but he seems like a guy that would refuse for his own ego if the person he hired might outshine him. IMO
    There's aspects of Gruden that I like a lot. His first go-around, he took a pretty sad sack team, and at least got them to play competitive football more often than not, even when outgunned talentwise. We kept things close a lot more than the talent suggested we should in that first year. Generally speaking guys seem to compete and play hard for him.

But for a guy who fully admits he's an offense-only coach who leaves the defense to his assistants, his offenses overall are uninspiring. I know watching some other "offensive guru" types, I'm constantly guessing as to what they're gonna do. But with Gruden, I'm rarely surprised. And that's disappointing.

You think of most offensive genius types, and you expect you're getting an offensive equivalent of a Porsche 911 ... just all thrills, and pedal to the metal. With Gruden, you get more of a Toyota Land Cruiser ... well put together, dependably churns up the miles, not easily stopped by anything, but also not nearly as exciting as you might want.

Honestly, Gruden's offensive instincts pair best with a dominant defense. Which the one time he had, he won a SB.

Quote Originally Posted by mmbt View Post
    There's aspects of Gruden that I like a lot. His first go-around, he took a pretty sad sack team, and at least got them to play competitive football more often than not, even when outgunned talentwise. We kept things close a lot more than the talent suggested we should in that first year. Generally speaking guys seem to compete and play hard for him.

But for a guy who fully admits he's an offense-only coach who leaves the defense to his assistants, his offenses overall are uninspiring. I know watching some other "offensive guru" types, I'm constantly guessing as to what they're gonna do. But with Gruden, I'm rarely surprised. And that's disappointing.

You think of most offensive genius types, and you expect you're getting an offensive equivalent of a Porsche 911 ... just all thrills, and pedal to the metal. With Gruden, you get more of a Toyota Land Cruiser ... well put together, dependably churns up the miles, not easily stopped by anything, but also not nearly as exciting as you might want.

Honestly, Gruden's offensive instincts pair best with a dominant defense. Which the one time he had, he won a SB.
    I still say that SB victory should have an asterisk, inside info on the offense and the audacity not to disguise it, Gruden didnít win ish....
    The Second protects the First, always has and always will...

Yea fire Gruden, First coach that has brought any promise since the last time he coached it lmao... And get off Jack's di*k. Dude had one good season and everyone hated his defense with Mack..

Gruden TB days were handcuffed by older players and no draft capitol to refresh the roster.

Not saying he couldn't be better at some aspects, I would love to see him just coach and hire a young assistant to call plays..

Gruden is a motivator and leader, Not having him in some of the young guys ears is not beneficial. We need a full offseason, A center piece on the DL and two safties and we will be in the playoffs... This team was built to beat KC...

I still think Gruden is a good coach. Offensive coach that is.

Gruden as the GM has failed miserably. The Mack and Cooper trades have turned out to be disasters. His draft picks have been terrible. Makes me miss RM. The author of the article is not wrong.

If only Mark can hire a GM that Gruden would have to report to... oh wait Gruden would never allow that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proximo View Post
    Carr may very well be the worst starting QB in Raiders history. Carr is like a root canal that takes 8 hrs. The Raiders have stuck with this bum going on 7 seasons! All they have to show for it is excuses. I hope Mariorta runs him out of training camp.
    Sounds as though Mayock is waxing the Pinto and installing fake leather seat covers and chrome hubcaps before posting it on Craigslist.

Mack and Cooper have done nothing for their teams that had better talent then ours, How was it a disaster? If we gave them contracts it would be all for nothing. And we offered Mack a contract he didn't want to be here... But that is Gruden's fault lol... Cooper, was and is garbage, He plays when he wants too, He has no love for the game.

Talk about beating a dead horse lol

I mean what draft picks have been disasters???

If you say Ruggs, I ask you how do you know? It takes Wrs 2-3 years to fully adapt to the NFL. I seen Ruggs have great hands, and Speed... All the rest is teachable. Id be worried about a guy that drops passes as much as Jeudy, Catching passes is something that can be worked on but it's more of a you can or you can't.

Gruden and Mayock have done good jobs, I will not say great but good. And better then RM.

Quote Originally Posted by sicknick12 View Post
    Mack and Cooper have done nothing for their teams that had better talent then ours, How was it a disaster? If we gave them contracts it would be all for nothing. And we offered Mack a contract he didn't want to be here... But that is Gruden's fault lol... Cooper, was and is garbage, He plays when he wants too, He has no love for the game.

Talk about beating a dead horse lol
    Lets see... Cooper - back to back probowl years. Mack - Has been an All Pro and Pro Bowler. Thats nothing? I mean have we had a pro bowl receiver or any defensive player thats gone to the pro bowl?

Yeah instead we gave contracts to a bunch of scrubs who have done nothing for this team. How much money did they give out that have amounted next to nothing?

They gave Mack a low ball offer which was a slap in the face really. I would have turned it down as well. Don't blame Mack one bit for that.

Gruden had the right idea about gaining draft capital for players. I just had no idea how bad he was at evaluating draft prospects.
    Carr may very well be the worst starting QB in Raiders history. Carr is like a root canal that takes 8 hrs. The Raiders have stuck with this bum going on 7 seasons! All they have to show for it is excuses. I hope Mariorta runs him out of training camp.
    Sounds as though Mayock is waxing the Pinto and installing fake leather seat covers and chrome hubcaps before posting it on Craigslist.

Quote Originally Posted by sicknick12 View Post
    I mean what draft picks have been disasters???

If you say Ruggs, I ask you how do you know? It takes Wrs 2-3 years to fully adapt to the NFL. I seen Ruggs have great hands, and Speed... All the rest is teachable. Id be worried about a guy that drops passes as much as Jeudy, Catching passes is something that can be worked on but it's more of a you can or you can't.

Gruden and Mayock have done good jobs, I will not say great but good. And better then RM.

Clellin Ferrel 4th pick of the draft - disaster
    Abraham 1st round pick - disaster
    Jacobs - decent pick
    Arnette - How was he a 1st rounder?
    Ruggs - Work in progress but there were better receivers on the board

Yeah "good job" Gruden

He should thank RM for Carr

getting nominated for the probowl is very meaningfull if you have a name your most likely going to be voted to it. Then a few others drop out and then they add more names to it... lol by the time it's all done and finished you have a bunch of mid tier guys playing.....

This might be the first pro-bowl that is respectfull cause they are not really playing the games.

Ferrel a disaster? Ranked one of the top defenders in the league...

But let me guess probowls count but PFF grades don't lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast