Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 NFL Draft

2021 NFL Draft

With one game left in the season, I felt we could start the discussion for the 2021 NFL Draft!

Currently #7 in the draft order.

Could finish as high as #3 if everything falls a certain way. Still at #7 you could land Micah Parsons or Gregory Rousseau on defense. You might be in trade range for teams looking at Justin Fields/Zach Wilson/Trey Lance (whoever is QB 2-4 on the board) or even take one of those guys. On offense if you lose KG in free agency you are in prime position to land Ja'Marr Chase, Devonta Smith, or Jaylen Waddle to bolster the WR core. Even if you retain KG that might not be a bad route to go. With so many needs you can probably take anything but another CB, RB, or TE that high and have it work.

Heck, jumping the Bengals could go away in landing Penei Sewell. Sure, Decker is the LT but you could start Sewell at the RT and swap as he develops, if he develops as the dominant LT he seems to potentially be.

Current top 10 would be as follows:

1) Jacksonville Jaguars
    2) New York Jets
    3) Miami Dolphins (from HOU)
    4) Atlanta Falcons
    5) Cincinnati Bengals
    6) Philadelphia Eagles
    7) Detroit Lions
    8) New York Giants
    9) Carolina Panthers
    10) Denver Broncos

Who are ya'll taking if you have the #7 pick?

I think I'm in on Trey Lance. I understand he plays at NDSU and essentially only has 1 season under his belt, I think he's the type of QB that the league is gravitating towards. He's athletic, can extend plays, and has a pretty big arm. I believe it'd be awesome to see him in a Lions uniform.

If they don't go QB, and try and wait until the late 1st or early 2nd to address it, I'd like to see Micah Parsons. Not sure if he'd slide until #7 but we drastically need that type of player to anchor the defense.

Quote Originally Posted by LionsFan..LOL View Post
    Currently #7 in the draft order.

Could finish as high as #3 if everything falls a certain way. Still at #7 you could land Micah Parsons or Gregory Rousseau on defense. You might be in trade range for teams looking at Justin Fields/Zach Wilson/Trey Lance (whoever is QB 2-4 on the board) or even take one of those guys. On offense if you lose KG in free agency you are in prime position to land Ja'Marr Chase, Devonta Smith, or Jaylen Waddle to bolster the WR core. Even if you retain KG that might not be a bad route to go. With so many needs you can probably take anything but another CB, RB, or TE that high and have it work.

Heck, jumping the Bengals could go away in landing Penei Sewell. Sure, Decker is the LT but you could start Sewell at the RT and swap as he develops, if he develops as the dominant LT he seems to potentially be.
    Of the WRs, I like Chase. I mean, you can't really go wrong with him or Smith but I think the fact that Smith has played 45 games to Chase's 24 says something. He's also 2 years younger and sat out this year so his legs are fresher. Again, essentially nitpicking but I think I'd go that route.

Quote Originally Posted by tigers.6 View Post
    Of the WRs, I like Chase. I mean, you can't really go wrong with him or Smith but I think the fact that Smith has played 45 games to Chase's 24 says something. He's also 2 years younger and sat out this year so his legs are fresher. Again, essentially nitpicking but I think I'd go that route.
    Both would be fine additions. I like what Smith brings, something we have not had in a while mind you, with his ability to separate naturally and with his route running. Like Jerry Jeudy for example. Of course his size and weight are going to scare some teams whether or not he can handle physical press coverage in the NFL.

Chase though has superstar written all over him. He plays a lot bigger than he looks and if he can time well with speed/agility drills he will remove any (and it is very minute mind you) doubt anyone might have about his ability to separate from coverage in the pros. I saw some concern about him being a WR who largely won with jump balls in college but there is footage out there of his ability with YAC too.

Zach Wilson.

Was hoping he wouldn't explode during the season and is now likely going to be the second QB taken after Lawrence IMO.

Maybe we can get Fields? This team is so broken I say go for QB

Quote Originally Posted by rocket View Post
    Zach Wilson.

Was hoping he wouldn't explode during the season and is now likely going to be the second QB taken after Lawrence IMO.

Maybe we can get Fields? This team is so broken I say go for QB
    It will be interesting to see what the Jets do now that they have the #2 pick. With the #1 pick it was locked in that they'd move on from Darnold and take Lawrence but I don't see that being the case if Lawrence is gone. They very well could take Sewell and decide to actually build around Darnold. If that is the case, and Fields is there, you take him.

In addition to that, I do believe that they should trade Stafford. I had thought that they could benefit from taking a QB and having him sit behind Stafford but the fact that we only have 5 draft picks makes trading Stafford that much more important. We have too many holes to fill (giggity) and can use all of the draft picks we can get. Take a QB and get rid of Stafford to ensure you get another top 3 pick in next year's draft.

Build the lines, then get the QB.

Itís why a team like Denver could win with an aging Manning.

You put a qb in this dumpster fire and youíve got Stafford 2.0

Find a stop gap QBs while you do a proper 2 year rebuild. Year 3 get your man at QB.

At this point, there is no reason to think of anything other than rebuilding the core. A rookie qb wonít help at all. Not in Detroit anyway.

Lions have been trying to build a team by starting with the qb for years. Please stop the cycle.

You donít build the nest after the eggs are laid.

Quote Originally Posted by whooligun View Post

Find a stop gap QBs while you do a proper 2 year rebuild. Year 3 get your man at QB.

At this point, there is no reason to think of anything other than rebuilding the core. A rookie qb wonít help at all. Not in Detroit anyway.

Lions have been trying to build a team by starting with the qb for years. Please stop the cycle.

The oline is pretty solid, Jackson, Ragnow, even Decker looked really good this year. Does Crosby need to be replaced? the starting right guard may already be on the team with Logan sitting this year.

I will say this D line needs to be heavily rebuilt if we transition back to a standard 4 down linemen scheme. If we move to more of a 3-4 scheme Pensini should be able to anchor the NT spot then your looking to fill out the other tackles/DE with bigger bodies than the lions currently have.

Basically the linebackers need to be worked no matter what scheme you are looking at. Davis is a bust, Tavai was a wasted pick. If we go 3-4 maybe the Okwara brothers can move to those spots but the middle line backers are not there and if we play a 4-3 no linebackers are there.
    2017 DRAFT GAME CHAMPION SUPREME!

Quote Originally Posted by whooligun View Post

this isn't 1950. the fastest way to rebuild a franchise is getting a franchise QB

see Justin Herbert. see Tua.

This also probably isn't the best draft to want IDL. The Lions might have to make moves in free agency to fill that out.

Edge rusher looks solid both hands in the dirt and stand up.

Quote Originally Posted by rocket View Post
    this isn't 1950. the fastest way to rebuild a franchise is getting a franchise QB

see Justin Herbert. see Tua.
    I disagree. Those guys will flame out pretty fast without a line to protect the QB or a defense to protect the lead. If we have a dominant defense, we can afford a game manger to take us over the top. Go for talented defensive guys.
    [img] [/img]
    ^Thanks for the memories #9^

click here to join the Lions Forum
    SE7EN time OTT Winner#1,#6,#10,#12, #14, #24 & #27
    Quote Originally Posted by GuySir View Post
    LFFS is the master at going from goofball to boss

I don't know if dominate defenses alone are a requirement anymore to win championships. KC and Philly won on their offense. DEN beat Carolina and NE beat LA on the back of their defense, but NE still needed to put up 34 to beat Atlanta. Also NE is a special case of having the greatest coach of all time on their side and the greatest QB, it is hard to fully appreciate how they win seeing as how many have tried to copy their formula and failed.

Meanwhile many high quality level defenses recently have struggled in the playoffs, look no further than the Chicago Bears. They've had great defenses but have been wasted by **** QB play. You need a good-to-very good QB to win imo. Jacksonville a few years ago has proven that as well. Great defense but a bad QB so their ceiling was capped. Minnesota lost the NFC title game a few years back with a great squad but bad QB in Keenum. Then again some might argue that Nick Foles is a J.A.G. which he has turned into but at that time he was playing at an MVP level.

Long story short I think both have merit and both are important but in a league driven by offense you NEED a high quality QB. Game managers won't cut it. You also can't have a truck fire of a defense to win. Middle tier-low top 10 defense with a great QB can win it all. Which goes to show you how hard it is to build a championship winner.

Kyle Pitts - TE, Florida

I read an article this morning that we have a 0.5% to earn the #3 pick again of course we need to lose to the Vikings and then we need Atlanta to beat Tampa Bay, Giants beat Dallas, Cincinnati beat Baltimore, Houston beat Tennessee and Philly beat WFT on Sunday Night. It may be less than 1% but there is a chance. We have a 28.3% chance to earn a Top 5 pick and a 84.3% chance to picking in the top 10.

This team is in another rebuilding phase for the umpteenth time. We are no one where close to competing for a division title much less a Super Bowl. I think who we draft all depends on who we get as a head coach and GM. Defenses do win championships but like LFLOL said you also need a competent QB play to win them as well. Bluto and Boob really set us back to almost the Millen years. I think Saleh who is a letter among Men can really help this team change its culture and especially change the locker room atmosphere. I also honestly think that Stafford and the team will mutually part ways by trade. I just don't see Stafford wanting to go through another rebuild. This will be his 4th different head coach since he came into the league.

2016 PSD LIONS FORUM COMEBACK POSTER OF THE YEAR

Favorite Teams
    Detroit Red Wings
    Detroit Lions Welcome to Detroit Brad Holmes and Welcome Back DCam aka The Dude. Thanks for the Memories Stafford.
    Detroit Tigers Welcome to Detroit AJ Hinch!
    North Carolina Tarheels Mens Basketball Thank You for the memories Coach Williams and Good Luck to Coach Davis!
    Florida State Seminoles Welcome to Tallahassee Mike Norvell!

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast